JGTC Lamborghini Countach RAIN-X / Art Sports racecar - ROBSMC's Portfolio - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums - Page 2

JGTC Lamborghini Countach RAIN-X / Art Sports racecar

39 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:†au

Posted 12 September 2020 - 11:21 PM

UPDATE 13/09/2020

Time for the interior as I want to get this all done before I paint the body as I will be test fitting the interior pan over and over when I build the roll cage. I have this race seat, fire extinguisher bottle and steering wheel to go in
Posted Image
Disassembled all the interior
Posted Image
Factory instrument panel removed as the race car has a much smaller one
Posted Image
I then added a piece of 0.5mm styrene sheet to flush the dash top
Posted Image
New steering wheel from Legende-Miniatures slips back onto the factory steering shaft
Posted Image

Posted Image
I then added some photo etch pedals to the factory plastic pedals
Posted Image
Some Tamiya filler to blend in the styrene sheet add on
Posted Image
New instrument pod made out of 0.5mm styrene sheet to suit this 3 gauge decal to match the race car
Posted Image
New gauge pod sitting on
Posted Image
The new pod looks higher but is the same height as the standard one
Posted Image
I then removed all the flocking with Goo Gone, but It was quite stubborn and I had to soak it overnight and then removed all the flocking the next day
Posted Image
Dash putty sanded flush
Posted Image
New pod sanded up with some rounds on the edges and glued in place
Posted Image
All the pieces painted with just Tamiya spraycans for speed
Posted Image
Outer trims and back window trim glued back onto the tub
Posted Image
Metal floor pads glued back on and revised pedals glued back in place
Posted Image
A new piece of 0.5mm styrene sheet painted black and added to the passenger floor to cover the seat mounting hole
Posted Image
Declas added the the gauge pod, fire bottle and I added some silver paint to the steering wheel bolts
Posted Image
Steering wheel glued on
Posted Image
Fire bottle glued into place, and I glued on the center console pocket upside down on the passenger rear firewall and added a couple of ecu cables running into it.
Posted Image
I then made up the racing harness seat belts for the new seat
Posted Image
And then glued them to the seat
Posted Image
Seat was then glued into the tub
Posted Image
Dash screwed back on as the roll cage fabrication is next and has to fit snug up to the edge of the dash
Posted Image
Pretty happy with how the interior is coming along. I still need to find a solution for the gear shift stem and round knob as I don't have any of these in stock. But the next step is to build the roll cage, but that will have to wait for the next installment. Thanks for looking. Cheers
Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12341 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:†us

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:11 AM

Very impressive progress. The body work looks amazing. Keep up the good work. Fun watching this build

#28 OFFLINE   Out of Gear

Out of Gear

They look better in real life.

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Music, videogames, basketball, cars, cycling
  • Number of Models:~40
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, HPI, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of:†ca

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:27 PM

Interiors coming along nicely Rob! I noticed that the resin seat has some pinhole imperfections on it, are you thinking of keeping it that way for aesthetic effect?
Come to my house to see my collection!

#29 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:43 PM

View Postpreisman, on 13 September 2020 - 12:11 AM, said:

Very impressive progress. The body work looks amazing. Keep up the good work. Fun watching this build
Thanks Jon, so much work on the body and I'm glad it's done.

View PostOut of Gear, on 13 September 2020 - 05:27 PM, said:

Interiors coming along nicely Rob! I noticed that the resin seat has some pinhole imperfections on it, are you thinking of keeping it that way for aesthetic effect?
Cheers, the rein seat has a molded texture to it, so just leaving it like that.

#30 OFFLINE   msousa71

msousa71

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Favorite Brands:lamborghini
  • Proud Citizen of:†ca

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:46 AM

Rob! you are the ultimate master, always amazed at the level of customizing you get into. So much small intricate detail bodywork and fabrication. This Countach is going to look amazing when completed. A real nice one-off for your collection.

#31 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:14 AM

UPDATE 16/09/2020

I was going through my parts box and found a F360 shifter which worked fine for the Countach, so that is another detail I don't have to worry about.
Posted Image
Next I screwed the interior back under the body to start working on the roll cage
Posted Image
I then made the front/side bars out of 2.5mm styrene solid rod. I have pictures showing this pert of the cage, so this is accurate, but the rest of the cage is an unknown as there are no pictures of the full interior of this unicorn
Posted Image
I then removed the interior to keep working on the other bars
Posted Image

Posted Image
I then made the rear side bars using a bit of liberty on the base location
Posted Image
Back under the body to check it all fit's snug to the roofline
Posted Image
A bit of sanding and this is ready to paint. That's it for today, more to come. Thanks for looking. Cheers
Posted Image

#32 OFFLINE   b12cky

b12cky

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 630 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, AUTOart, Kyosho, old Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of:†rs

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:06 AM

Fantastic!
Posted Image

#33 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:01 AM

UPDATE 17/09/2020

Today it is nice and warm and sunny so perfect to paint the model. I sanded all the last little putty touch ups required and then sanded most of the Tamiya grey primer off the body and parts, then primed the body and parts in white 2K primer. I am trying a new primer that does not require sanding, so this will keep the coat thicknesses to a minimum which is important on this one as it has fully opening parts.
Only took pics in the spray booth as I didn't want to remove all the parts just to take a picture as I am going to keep them dust free in the booth ready to shoot the yellow coats
Posted Image

Posted Image
While the primer was drying, I made a start on the inner door trims. The race car has just flat door trim panels, so I sanded most of the grooves off the factory door trims.
Posted Image
I then skimmed the sanded door trim faces in Tamiya putty. When this dries, I will sand it smooth and then I can paint them. But I will have to paint the outer edge yellow first (as this makes up the thickness of the door, and then mask the yellow up and paint the door trim matt black
Posted Image
Primer was dry, so I went back into the spraybooth and gave the body and parts 2 coats of Giallo Modena 2K basecoat with 15 minutes drying time in between each coat. I then lat the second coat dry for 15 minutes and then applied one coat of 2K clear just so I have a smooth glossy surface to apply the decals when it dries. And as I always do, I will clear coat over the decals also for a seemless look.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
I am really looking forward to adding all the decals, But, I see a problem already. This decal sheet was purchased off eBay from the ABC shop and this decal sheet was pictured applied to a standard LP5000s Countach, so some of the decals I see will not fit this 25th Anniversary model. I will apply what decals I can that look right, and hopefully there is only a couple of small ones that I need to print myself. We'll see how it goes.
Posted Image
The next update will be all the decals applied. More to come. Cheers

#34 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2058 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of:†de

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:28 AM

Looks already gerat with Giallo Modena!! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

#35 OFFLINE   MerkurKing16

MerkurKing16

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1961 posts
  • Interests:Anything that is interesting
  • Favorite Brands:Spark
  • Proud Citizen of:†us

Posted 17 September 2020 - 04:17 PM

Stunning Rob. Canít wait to see it all come together.

#36 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:13 AM

View Postvulpex, on 17 September 2020 - 01:28 AM, said:

Looks already gerat with Giallo Modena!! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Thanks Dirk, I couldn't find the exact color of this Countach, and my paint supplier didn't have any Lambo paint codes that far back when the 25th Anniversary colors were listed. But it is a bright yellow, so I though Giallo Modena is close enough.

View PostMerkurKing16, on 17 September 2020 - 04:17 PM, said:

Stunning Rob. Can't wait to see it all come together.
Thank you mate, it is getting there

#37 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:00 AM

UPDATE 18/09/2020

Today is the day for the decals on the body, so first I screwed the side skirts back onto the body, the front and rear bumber and sat the other bits in place as the decals overlap several of the parts
Posted Image
First I applied all the decals to the front of the model. I have to say the quality of these decals is pretty average and they do not like decal setting solution, or conforming to convex shapes. And I found this out with the RainX logo that I had to remove on the nose of the model in front of the hood scoop. It just was not acceptable, so I had to order another sheet off ebay to replace that one. I am hoping that there will not be any issues with 2K clear over these decals. That would be a disaster.
Posted Image
Rear engine lid decals were limited to just these Terai engineering logos
Posted Image
88 and Advan decals to the rear, but there are no small RainX decals for the rear bumper in the set, and also a Lamborghini crest and another Terai Engineering decal for the rear panel also not included in the set. That's disappointing
Posted Image
Started with this side for the main decal assault! Most of the decals are there are nearly the right size, but I am missing TAISAN decals in white lettering for the side skirts, rear wing decals and the Teei decals for the tops of the side vent scoops are way to big to fit. I will try to print the decals I can myself but since  cannot print white decals on my HP printer, not sure how I can make those missing decals. Why go to all the effort of making a decal sheet like this and then omit a small handful of decals. Again, disappointing.
Posted Image
Then the drivers side done
Posted Image
Roof done next and they all fit right
Posted Image
And that is around 5 hours of work today. I will make most of the small missing decals myself using some decal paper and my HP printer to finish the decals on the body, but I had to order another decal sheet off ebay, so that will take a couple of weeks probably to reach me, so unfortunately, I cannot clear the body until the decals are done, so this build will go on hold until then.
Posted Image
Found the logo's on Google and scaled them using PowerPoint on my PC, then printed them out on some clear decal paper. I let these dry overnight, then spray some Tamiya clear over the print so when they go in water, the ink does not disappear. I will update when these decals go on. More to come. Cheers
Posted Image

#38 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1791 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of:†gb

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:16 AM

I can imagine the missing decals are pretty annoying, you're getting so close with this!  It looks great though, a racing Countach was unfortunately a rare thing, and even rarer in scale.  Here's hoping the 2K works :hope:

Posted Image

Collection thread (to be updated)

#39 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:06 AM

UPDATE 19/09/2020

A little bit of work today starting with the upgraded brakes. I am using these HWE brake rotors from the parts box, and also HWE Ferrari brake calipers which I removed the Ferrari stickers and added some Brembo decals instead. No real pictures of the brakes on the race car, but they would have definitely been upgraded as the standard Countach brakes would not have been capable of stopping this Countach throughout a full race.
Posted Image
I then started adding my own printed decals starting with the Advan logos on the front lip. And after seeing this pic I am uploading, I replaced the right hand side logo as part of the 'A' was not applied right
Posted Image
I then applied my little RainX logo's on either side of the rear bumper
Posted Image
I then applied the Shimadaya logo's on the sides of the rear wing
Posted Image
And then I added the reduced size Teei logos on the top of the side vents
Posted Image
I then painted the roll cage, side mirrors, head light covers and rear wing blades in gloss black Tamiya spray paint. These will also be 2K clear coated as well when i do the body as the gloss finish from the can is not very good compared to 2K clear.
Posted Image
That's it for today. More to come. Cheers

#40 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:58 PM

UPDATE 20/09/2020

Just a little work this morning getting ready for painting again tomorrow. I let the black paint on the rear wing dry overnight and applied the decals this morning. I let these dry for 24 hours before I 2K clear
Posted Image
I then glued in the black head light lenses into the body now as when I add the final coats of clear on the body, it makes it harder to fit these parts in snug. And since I want to clear coat the black lenses anyway, I fitted them now
Posted Image
And all of my parts are ready to clear coat tomorrow now that I fitted the remaining of my home made decals, except for 3 parts that still require decals that I have ordered and can't print myself. That is the front hood and the 2 side skirts, but I can still move forward on the assembly of the model after the clear coat is done, at least up to the point of having to fit the side skirts. More to come. Cheers
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.