Resin or ABS plastic how to tell the difrence & Paint stripping (updated 9/4/2020) - Paint, Decals and Surface Work - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Resin or ABS plastic how to tell the difrence & Paint stripping (updated 9/4/2020)

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   msousa71

msousa71

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Favorite Brands:lamborghini
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:36 PM

Can anyone on this forum elaborate on this subject or knows the answer on how you can tell the difference between ABS model parts or Resin parts ...as an example, this happens allot with wheels and not knowing what material they are made from, then it becomes hard to figure out how to strip them or what type of primer to use on them as some primer paints will dissolve abs wheels as will strippers also.  I am specifically referencing to the 1:18 scale models only

(Update 9/4/2020)  Guys, I decided to do some deep research on this subject and I really couldn't find an answer on how to actually know if you are dealing with ABS plastic or Resin parts /model with accuracy.  I mean we could presume as an example some of the new AUTOart models are resin and of course MR Collection, BBR and D&G models etc but do they use ABS parts mixed in such as wheels or other smaller parts that we don't know I have read mixed thoughts on this.

So what I decided to do after some deep research on stripping paint of Resin and ABS parts/models, I decided to run a test with 4 different chemicals,  I read that apparently these 4 chemicals/products happen to be the safest with the best results on stripping paint of resin and plastic parts/bodies without damaging the part/ body .

Since I have an MR Collection body and set of wheels that need to be stripped and repainted I am going to run a  test with these 4 products on my MR wheels first before I attempt to strip the body in case something goes wrong

I will be placing each wheel in a separate container with one of these products and see what product works best and reporting results on here ....Stay tuned for results!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

The 4 products I am using will be

1- Simple Green
2 - Dot3 generic Brake fluid (Canadian Tire Brand)
3- Super Clean
4 -LA's Totally Awesome

Posted Image

Edited by msousa71, 06 September 2020 - 09:42 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   DSerggik

DSerggik

• DX Community
  • 7 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Manual Work Models
  • Proud Citizen of: ua

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:45 PM

Hi!
I will share my experience, I think it will be useful to you.
Brake fluid makes plastic brittle, so do not keep plastic in the brake fluid for a long time.
I tried to dissolve paint from OTTO and GT-Spirit models - brake fluid does not dissolve paint from these manufacturers. But it dissolves well the paint of the aforementioned manufacturers, a solvent for acrylic paints. And this solvent is resin safe. But it is fatal for plastic.
On NEO models, the paint can be removed with nail polish remover. This liquid is used by women when they remove varnish from their nails. This liquid is harmless to the resin. But it is fatal for plastic.

#3 OFFLINE   msousa71

msousa71

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Favorite Brands:lamborghini
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:26 AM

View PostDSerggik, on 16 September 2020 - 01:45 PM, said:

Hi!
I will share my experience, I think it will be useful to you.
Brake fluid makes plastic brittle, so do not keep plastic in the brake fluid for a long time.
I tried to dissolve paint from OTTO and GT-Spirit models - brake fluid does not dissolve paint from these manufacturers. But it dissolves well the paint of the aforementioned manufacturers, a solvent for acrylic paints. And this solvent is resin safe. But it is fatal for plastic.
On NEO models, the paint can be removed with nail polish remover. This liquid is used by women when they remove varnish from their nails. This liquid is harmless to the resin. But it is fatal for plastic.
Thanks for the insight appreciated, the nail polish sounds like a very harsh approach , but if the chemicals above don't work then I might venture and try nail polish, I just don't want to destroy any of my parts or bodies.

#4 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4941 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:08 PM

Another possibility is household paint stripper, such as Nitromors or Strypit.
I have just stripped Tamiya spray paint off a resin piece which is quite thin.
The trick with both is to dab the stripper on with a cheap paint brush cut to around 2cm bristle length.
After around ten minutes wipe the brush across the surface which should remove the paint.
I don't recommend the soaking technique used with the products shown above.....

#5 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4941 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:53 AM

I have stripped the paint off the resin piece mentioned above, and there is no obvious sign of damage.
It's wise to be certain of the material used for the wheels before considering the paint strippers listed above.
Plastic will melt if these are used - I know this because I found out the hard way.....

#6 OFFLINE   DSerggik

DSerggik

• DX Community
  • 7 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Manual Work Models
  • Proud Citizen of: ua

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:21 PM

View Postmsousa71, on 21 September 2020 - 06:26 AM, said:

Thanks for the insight appreciated, the nail polish sounds like a very harsh approach , but if the chemicals above don't work then I might venture and try nail polish, I just don't want to destroy any of my parts or bodies.

I meant THINNER! Women use it to wash off nail polish. This solvent can safely wash off paint from NEO models, just do not soak, but gently wipe off with a cotton pad. Be attentive!
I also want to add. For different types of paints, you need to use a different solvent.
Revell paints in small metal cans are made on a nitro base. I used a sewer pipe cleaner to remove these types of paints from plastic. In our country, this product is called "Mole", this product contains alkali, and alkali does not dissolve plastic.
If something is not clear, it is better to ask me again.
Buddy, sorry for my English - I use Google translator. :dizzy: :smile:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.