DiecastXchange Forum banner

Ferrari Daytona zinc rot?

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  jazzy426 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just browsing Ebay andf came across this -

Hot Wheels Elite 1/18 Scale diecast L2980 Ferrari 365 GTB4 Repair Spares

Item number, 124326234236

It looks like the whole bonnet is buckled and about to crumble - zinc rot. Anyone else heard of this or other Hotwheels models affected by zinc rot?

edit - here's a pic of the bonnet -

See less See more
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't blame you!

I've sorted it.

Also it turns out that as nothing had been posted in this forum for years the topics had gone past the cut off point, so they weren't working properly. I had to set it up again and copy everything over. All is ok now

#6 ·
It looks like the whole bonnet is buckled and about to crumble - zinc rot. Anyone else heard of this or other Hotwheels models affected by zinc rot?
Other than the Champagne-colored 456M, I never heard of any other 1:18 Hotwheels affected by zinc pest... until now.

That is a worrying discovery, I need to make time this weekend to check every model I have boxed away in the attic, it's been more than a year since I last saw them.

#9 ·
Other than the Champagne-colored 456M, I never heard of any other 1:18 Hotwheels affected by zinc pest... until now.
I almost forgot the 612 Scaglietti with the "China" livery, which is suspected to suffer from zinc rot, the crumbling door hinges being the first symptom. I haven't seen any completely rotten yet, though.

#7 ·
I have an exact same model although mine is defective for different reason. Missing peforated mesh on one of the air intake on bonnet and bonnet does not sit flush when closed but not due to zinc rot and causes it to deform as the bonnet sits fine after i removed the engine. The bonnet looks to have bad case of paint rash not entirely sure if the diecast underneath is rotting though. I think i have diecast with somewhat similar symptom but hasn't disintegrate yet after almost 10 years. Perhaps others with zinc rot experience can chime in and comment?

#10 ·
Yes there's paint rash, but you can see in this picture the bonnet is deformed - I am 100%certain it is zinc rot. I offered the seller £20 plus postage as the rest of the car (apart from a few minor issues) looks fine. My idea was to pull the bonnet off and display the car in a dio scene. The seller efused my offer. Fair enough. Just looking through Ebay at other Elite Daytonas and there are others with deformed bonnets.

...I will also add that unfortunately, I have a fair bit of experience with zinc rot - CMC Mercedes W196, Ertl 1:50 construction models, NZG RH30E 1:50 shovel, Britains friction drive tractor toy, metal tracks on an Ertl bulldozer. There are others too.

#12 ·
Ah now that looks obvious that the metal has deformed. I suppose it is still possible to restore it by swapping the bad bonnet with the one from regular Hot Wheels's Daytona if nothing else is affected. THe glue Mattel used on their HWE models do not last and when they dry up those photoetch parts start becoming loose. My Daytona has similar issue with window frames popping up as well. I was thinking of finding a cheapie Hot Wheels's Daytona Spyder just for the fun of it but all the listing i came across all want 3 digit figure

#17 ·
Thanks Baron for the insight. I dare say the Hot Wheels Elite Daytona seems to be suffering from diecast cancer on the bonnet perhaps it is time to add this to the diecast cancer list that has been going around.

I found another listing of the Daytona this time from the overpriced RMToys Ltd

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hot-Wheels-Elite-1-18-Scale-diecast-L2980-Ferrari-365-GTB4-Rosso-Red/164409793950?epid=1145154569&hash=item2647965d9e:g:C1wAAOSwkApfdMRz

Notice the bonnet is lifting as well. It is a real shame because i quite like the wire wheels on this particular Daytona even though it is nowhere near the Kyosho's finishing and details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.