1/18 fantasy custom Nascar Convertible Racer - DX Custom Model Tuner Shop - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

1/18 fantasy custom Nascar Convertible Racer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5241 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:11 PM

Nascar Convertible Division

Started this one about a month or so ago.

Posted Image

The subtleties will kill you on a build like this.

Both the chassis donor and the body donor are, more or less, Plymouth B-bodies, and both are Ertl.

So, what could go wrong?

When I initially bolted the GTX body onto the Roadrunner chassis, there was an interference that did not allow the hood to close.  As a matter of fact, it stuck up at about a 30 degree angle.

WTF, Over? (I worked with a bunch of ex-Air Force guys for a while).

If you are familiar with this era of diecast, hoods, doors, and trunks (when they open) all have dogleg hinges.  One would think that if you've seen one hood dogleg, you've seen them all, especially if the models appear to be identical.

In my case, the doglegs of the GTX body donor were thicker than the doglegs for the Roadrunner, and would not clear the Nascar chassis cowl air induction.

So, I swapped hoods between the two models, and, Eureka!

A few progress shots follow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One thing I am going to half to solve is whether to simply drill two holes and allow the roll cage to tie into the package tray, or carve out slots in the package tray to allow the roll cage bars to attach back to the donor interior.

Posted Image

I took a step back from this one, and pondered my options.

Here is the set of models that I have access to for this project.

Posted Image

The top one, of course, is the body donor, the next two are a Toys R Us exclusive Nascar Superbird and the initial potential donor, a Petty Roadrunner.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, just the other day, I was able to score another TRU Superbird, and upon delivery, I got this.

Posted Image

So, in a lemon/lemonade funk, I decided to take it apart and see what it looked like as the chassis donor.

One thing about the Ertl Superbird mold is that you have to remove the rear wheels in order to access a screw in that wheel well.  I was able to acquire a tool that helps in removing those wheels, and with little bit of effort, was successful.  The issue is that the rear axle has a mushroom head with a slot, and you have to compress that slot to get the wheel to pop off.

Looks good from the top.  I particularly like the black interior against the red exterior.  If I am lucky, no painting on this one, only decals.

Posted Image

Before I put the wheels back on, I made a test fit.  Looks good from the side, as well.  Getting excited about this build.

Posted Image

So popped the rears back on to get an idea about stance and rake.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that I have a clearer definition of the body/chassis donor relationship, the build can continue.

This catches you up through yesterday.

Made some progress, at least in the disassembly stage.

On the Superbird, there's an extension of the under tray to support the nose.

Posted Image     Posted Image

I had to remove this much of it to get the original test donor body to fit.

Posted Image

Here's our new body donor, straight out of the box.

Posted Image

Chassis ready to be recycled.

Posted Image

Underside of the body.

Posted Image

Knew it wasn't going to fit, but just for frame of reference.

Posted Image

I know from playing around with the original body donor, that these tabs will interfere.

Posted Image

So, a little bit of Dremel later.

Posted Image

Test fit again, but still some interference that I was expecting.

Posted Image

I knew a couple of other things would have to be removed and/or eventually modified, such as the dashboard and the hood (due to the discrepancy in the dog leg hinges noted above.

Posted Image

With those two elements removed, we now can proceed to see what needs to be put back on, and to what extent it will need to be "adjusted".  On of the thing I will do is see if the dashboard from the Superbird will help.  Can't use the Superbird hood, though, as I am going for a no-repaint solution.

Posted Image

Stay Tuned!
Updated Collection Video

Thread Killer!

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6745 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: dk

Posted 25 December 2020 - 01:04 AM

pretty cool idea, a race car like this is rather unusual i think. i like the colors it has already, but will it be repainted?

#3 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12230 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)

Posted 25 December 2020 - 04:34 AM

Merry Christmas Jim! That's a pretty interesting idea!!! :eusa_clap:  Looking forward to the total outcome :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#4 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5241 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 12:35 PM

View PostAlex SZ1996, on 25 December 2020 - 01:04 AM, said:

pretty cool idea, a race car like this is rather unusual i think. i like the colors it has already, but will it be repainted?

View PostD N, on 25 December 2020 - 04:34 AM, said:

Merry Christmas Jim! That's a pretty interesting idea!!! :eusa_clap:  Looking forward to the total outcome :occasion14:

Going to try not to repaint if at all possible, decals only.  :hope:

Dave - Got inspired by a good deal on the initial GTX body, and then grabbed the full donor on a steal.

Thanks!
Updated Collection Video

Thread Killer!

#5 OFFLINE   Jacobpockros

Jacobpockros

• DX Community
  • 48 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:16 PM

They all look great good job.

Edited by Jacobpockros, 06 January 2021 - 10:17 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5241 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

Been looking at this one on my bench for too long, so thought I would concentrate on it for a few days.

One issue to deal with is that the body donor chassis has front inner fenders and the chassis donor chassis does not.

When you set one upon the other, you see the gap.

Posted Image

However, the donor Superbird chassis does have a front roll cage bar around the engine compartment.

Posted Image

However, it makes the body sit too high, as the only place it supports is in front of the radiator.

Posted Image

If you remove it, the body sits way too low, and we start getting into our clearance problems with the hood.

Posted Image

My solution was to remove the front hoop, and make it adjustable.  I added aluminum extensions to the hoop supports, and placed pins in the chassis locations.

Posted ImagePosted Image

This way I can adjust the height and get the body rake correct.

For ease of construction, I have used a similar pin and hole attachment for the firewall.  Previously it was glued in, now it is removable.  I will permanently install it at the final.

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

Next I will take up creating a tonneau cover for the rear of the cockpit.

Posted Image
Updated Collection Video

Thread Killer!

#7 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5241 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:39 PM

Rough first pass - tonneau cover

Posted Image

Posted Image
Updated Collection Video

Thread Killer!

#8 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5241 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:17 PM

So I am back on this one, as the Camaro project rests in pieces.

I have been working on getting the front roll cage hoop modified to allow the body to sit correctly on the chassis.

I added an extension to the nose of the chassis, made out of a piece of styrene angle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I fabricated some connectors out of aluminum tubing to stabilize the mounting points.

Posted Image

Here's the hoop mounted to the chassis (temporarily).  Once we go final, all the aluminum will be gloss black to match the chassis.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Had to relocate the radiator filler neck.  Here's how it looked before, and after.

Posted Image  Posted Image

So I thought I was in pretty good shape, until I sat the body back down on the chassis. With the front hoop installed, it just doesn't want to fit right. There is interference between the hoop and the diecast radiator bulkhead. As you can see from this set of pictures, it was like the Tall Man from Cornwall.

https://www.youtube....h?v=omkPQGeEnqw

Posted Image

Posted Image  Posted Image

So the bulkhead had to go!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And now, without it, the body sits way too low.

Posted Image

So I fabricated a hanger out of brass angle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And thar she sits!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Decals shipped today, so going to wait on anything else until they get here.

Edited by ibj40, 25 February 2021 - 03:26 PM.

Updated Collection Video

Thread Killer!

#9 ONLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1652 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:45 AM

Very entertaining post! I have a box with a few past projects in it, when I tried to Frankenstein two different models into one. They went into that box as they reached the "cutting and fabricating" stage, which I'm rubbish at. Maybe I'll give them another try soon!

Looking forward to seeing yours finished! :eusa_clap:

View Postibj40, on 25 February 2021 - 03:17 PM, said:

So I thought I was in pretty good shape, until I sat the body back down on the chassis. With the front hoop installed, it just doesn't want to fit right. There is interference between the hoop and the diecast radiator bulkhead. As you can see from this set of pictures, it was like the Tall Man from Cornwall.
https://www.youtube....h?v=omkPQGeEnqw

Haha, funny! I was trying to rewrite and adapt it to your situation, and it started with "There was a Superbird chassis whose length exceeded the GTX body.", but I couldn't quite finish it. I need to work on my nursery rhyming skills before giving up my day job! :smile:

#10 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5241 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:57 PM

So, one step forward and two steps back!   Posted Image

Well, my piece of brass angle just didn't want to stay in place, so I drilled a couple of 3/32" holes and pinned it in place with a couple of #00-90 brass machine screws.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Plus, as you can also see in these pictures, the plastic angle holding the front of the engine hoop interfered with the bumper, so I had to cut it back quite a bit.

However, now the bumper fits.

Posted Image

But the hood doesn't, as the heads of the screws hold it up too high.

Posted Image

So, me and Dr. Dremel went to work.  First, I tried to relieve the area right above the screw heads with an 1/8" drill bit, but that didn't work, so got out a cutting wheel and went to work.

Posted Image

That's got me close, but still a little bit more needs to be shaved off.

Posted Image

Stay Tuned!
Updated Collection Video

Thread Killer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.