Example of false advertising? (Peerless Master 8 Sedan) - Ertl | RC2 American Muscle | Autoworld - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Example of false advertising? (Peerless Master 8 Sedan)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   miscing4life

miscing4life

• DX Community
  • 62 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Kyosho, Almost Real
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:24 PM

In addition to sport car and luxury sedan collection, I seek to collect the best of the best when it comes to vintage American cars. I already have a Duesenberg Model J, Cadillac V16 Phaeton, Auburn 851, and Packard Brewster but would like to add the Peerless to my collection. A lot of these luxury sedans look quite alike but what I really like are the different ornaments; I feel like they give the car a lot of presence and character. With the Peerless, as beautiful as it is, I noticed that it's missing the hood ornament on the model even though the box itself shows it as having one and can actually be found on the real-life representation.  

See for yourselves:

real-life 1:1

https://i.pinimg.com...ffc23d07b55.jpg

ERTL box

https://images-na.ss..._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1/18 model

https://cdn3.volusio...ache=1576754036

I know the following is kind of a dumb question but I'm just wondering if there's an even remote chance the hood ornament is included in the box but for safety reasons, isn't attached to the model? I have seen this with a Kyosho Rolls-Royce Phantom Vii first-hand. It seems counter-intuitive since the Autoworld Cadillac V16 Phaeton and Auburn 851 boattail I have had their ornaments secured to the car.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32582 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:29 AM

Hmm, good question. Yeah, from the pictures it seems like there isn't one, just a flat circle where it should go.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Maybe email them to confirm ?

https://www.autoworl...uct-p/aw261.htm

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#3 OFFLINE   miscing4life

miscing4life

• DX Community
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:36 AM

View PostCraig, on 22 January 2021 - 05:29 AM, said:

Hmm, good question. Yeah, from the pictures it seems like there isn't one, just a flat circle where it should go.

Maybe email them to confirm ?

https://www.autoworl...uct-p/aw261.htm

Yeah I reached out to them in the live chat cause I thought they'd know but it seems like they'll have to look further into this and contact me. Could be the make or break decision in terms of buying it; the circle with a hole makes it look quite awkward and for $110 USD (plus shipping), I feel like I deserve an explanation. I'm surprised there aren't any reviews on this model anywhere on this site or Diecastsociety...

Edited by miscing4life, 22 January 2021 - 10:36 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   miscing4life

miscing4life

• DX Community
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:17 PM

OK, so they've confirmed there's no hood ornament. Pass for me.

#5 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4599 posts
  • Interests:NFL, Auto racing, playing pool, collecting large-scale diecast racing cars (1/18th and up)
  • Number of Models:1/10th: 2; 1/12th: 1; 1/18th: 176; 1/43rd: 5
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, GMP, Minichamps, Carousel 1, Auto Art
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:50 AM

I have to congratulate you for your keen eye and for taking the initiative to investigate an issue BEFORE pulling the trigger on the purchase. I have been guilty of falling in love with models and overlooking features that to others seemed obvious; I can't tell you how often I've proudly posted pics of my cars only to have a DX'er look at the pics that I took and notice something off that I completely missed.

Example: This Carousel 1 Lotus 56-Turbine that I bought on eBay was one of my first-ever diecast models, so I admit that at the time I was very much a newbie to the hobby. The seller didn't mention any flaws and well after taking delivery I DID notice the fault on the left mirror but casually attributed it to a manufacturing flaw. Someone on here took one look at the pic and correctly surmised the mirror had been broken off and poorly reattached:

Posted Image

Fourteen years later I am far more sophisticated in my shopping research but things still occasionally escape me in my enthusiasm for a model. You are an inspiration, sir!

Edited by Jersey_Devil, 24 January 2021 - 12:51 AM.

I just want someone whose baggage goes with mine [from "Rent"]...
- Red

My 1/18th collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...16/#entry557038

My 1/43rd collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...d-riverside-300

#6 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32582 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:41 PM

View Postmiscing4life, on 22 January 2021 - 08:17 PM, said:

I don't blame you for passing on it! That's pretty bad! They show it there on the box, so it should be on the model! :lamende:

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#7 OFFLINE   miscing4life

miscing4life

• DX Community
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:41 PM

View PostJersey_Devil, on 24 January 2021 - 12:50 AM, said:

I have to congratulate you for your keen eye and for taking the initiative to investigate an issue BEFORE pulling the trigger on the purchase. I have been guilty of falling in love with models and overlooking features that to others seemed obvious; I can't tell you how often I've proudly posted pics of my cars only to have a DX'er look at the pics that I took and notice something off that I completely missed.

Example: This Carousel 1 Lotus 56-Turbine that I bought on eBay was one of my first-ever diecast models, so I admit that at the time I was very much a newbie to the hobby. The seller didn't mention any flaws and well after taking delivery I DID notice the fault on the left mirror but casually attributed it to a manufacturing flaw. Someone on here took one look at the pic and correctly surmised the mirror had been broken off and poorly reattached:

Fourteen years later I am far more sophisticated in my shopping research but things still occasionally escape me in my enthusiasm for a model. You are an inspiration, sir!

Thank you, I've been burned in the past and I used to think eBay was the best place to buy models as a newb. Little did I know.

View PostCraig, on 24 January 2021 - 02:41 PM, said:

View Postmiscing4life, on 22 January 2021 - 08:17 PM, said:

I don't blame you for passing on it! That's pretty bad! They show it there on the box, so it should be on the model! :lamende:

It does have carpeting, I will give them that. Most of their models don't have that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.