samx5's collection - DX 1:18 Collectors - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

samx5's collection

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Whichever looks the most realistic
  • Proud Citizen of:†au

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:29 PM

Hi all,

I've spent the last few months on DX seeing what people collect from all around the world, and now I thought I'd share some pics of my modest little collection. There isn't a particular theme, I just buy what appeals to me and I don't buy many per year so some of the models you'll see have been in my possession for a long time.  Apologies in advance for some of the picture quality, some aren't as sharp or detailed as I'd like but I'll work on that.

First one is the latest one to arrive - Spark RUF CTR Yellowbird.  A legendary car for persons of my era, the amazing N-Ring video and also some of the more recent interviews with Alois Ruf demonstrate the passion and enthusiasm that the brand has.  The model is great, it looks better and sharper in real life than in these pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:35 PM

Next up is a bit of US muscle - the latest Mustang has been a big sales success in Australia, they are everywhere.  This is the Shelby Supersnake by GT Spirit.  Very nice paint on this one.  I'll have to re-do the front photo, the resolution went a bit haywire!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:50 PM

With the demise of Holden in Australia, the value of low mileage examples of the last V8 engined Commodores and HSV's have gone through the roof.  The baddest of them all, the HSV GTS-R W1 with 636 hp and basically a race suspension setup, was already expensive at $170,000 brand new in 2017, but now they are around $400,000 with no end to the escalation in price in sight.  A very rare ute version (1 of only 4 built) just sold for a little over $1 million a couple of weeks ago.  

This is the Biante Model Cars 1:18 model of the W1.  Not made by Autoart like some of their earlier releases, I'm not sure whose factory they use for these.  The stance is spot on, but the finish could be better to be honest.  There is also a bright green version (a GTS-R, but not a W1) that has a satin paint finish because the factory forgot the clear coat....!  They were less expensive than some of Biante's other releases, and now they have more than doubled in price (less than 800 were made) - maybe if other colours are made it will settle the market down a bit.  I've only ever seen one on the road, and it's not likely to happen much again with value so high - they will all be locked away in sheds as investments.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:59 PM

Autoart McLaren F1

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:09 PM

Kyosho F40, a model of one of my all time favourite cars - this is the first release I think, I've had it for a long time.  I know this car has been modelled numerous times by a few companies, but this one still looks good enough to stop me buying another one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by samx5, 22 February 2021 - 07:21 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:15 PM

Kyosho 250 GTO - I think this is also a first release, I think it was improved later with better bonnet straps etc.... but the paint is fantastic and it looks great on the shelf.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:36 PM

CMC's Ferrari 250 SWB - fabulous.  Real leather interior, knock-off Borrani spinners, metal components everywhere.  The price of CMC's is prohibitive for me now, about 4 times what I paid for this one back when it was a new release.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:43 PM

Autoart Porsche 917 - a very old mould, lacks detail compared to more recent releases but has a great stance - and Gulf colours, what's not to like?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1582 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any
  • Proud Citizen of:†ie

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:52 PM

You have an amazing collection, congrats! :eusa_clap: :occasion14:

There are a couple of models in there I'd love to have, the Kyosho F40 and AUTOart McLaren F1. Also the Kyosho GTO is awesome!

#10 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:05 PM

Thank you cwbs!  In retrospect I was lucky to get some when I did, as there's no way I would pay the Ebay prices some of these go for now.  I'm happy to let a model go if it gets too expensive.

#11 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:29 PM

AUTOart Jaguar D-Type Le Mans winner, 1955 - a tragic race that year.  I love this model, so well finished.  I'm surprised AUTOart didn't do more versions of the D-Type, they'd sell like hot cakes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12663 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:†us

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:05 PM

So much, so fast, hard to keep up.

RUF Yellowbird is awesome, one of the best early Spark models. I really enjoy mine.
Mustang, thing, not my thing, but looks great in your photos. All of your photos are super crisp and the depth is very nice. Perfect way to show off your collection.

HSV cars are insane, I love them. I am happy to have seen a few during my time in Australia. They have a great road presence. I don't have a model of these yet, though. I am always waiting for a better color, or version. I never find exactly what I want, but I really should add one soon. Looks great in green, a lot better than I would have expected.

McLaren F1 is iconic and sadly I don't have one. I missed out on these for so long and it sucks. Looks great though. AUTOart killed it!

Kyosho Ferrari's are some of my favorite models. My GTO looks perfect to me that I passed on the CMC version.

The CMC 250 SWB is a great model with a ton of detail. And it weighs a metric shit-ton. I can't wait for the 275 GTB.

The Porsche 917 from AUTOart is a great model. These used to be so cheap too. I have a few, but always looking to add more.

And the Jag! When AUTOart does it right, they knock it out of the park.

#13 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:11 AM

Thanks mate, the photos are just with my crappy smartphone, I usually pride myself on photos but none of these are what I wanted, the white base the cars are sitting on has stuffed up the exposures a bit. I don't have much spare time to look for photo locations, so this has to be sufficient for now.

I have heard there may be more HSV GTS-R's coming in opening diecast but I'm not sure when.  They are a bit hit-and-miss with their external finishes (overspray, fitment of skirts etc....) so it is a bit risky.  Most new releases by Biante are $250-$300 and this was $195, but I wish they had spent more on a crisper mould and charged the higher price - or gone to Autoart to do a composite - have a look at the latest Biante Ford Falcon XBGT sedan in white or yellow, it's a fantastic model, much sharper than this HSV.  

I love the Yellowbird, the photos don't show how well Spark has captured the complex curves of the rear guards so perfectly.  It looks magic on display.

Agree re: the 250 GTO, not worth the huge price to upgrade to a CMC, this one will do fine.

The GT Spirit Mustang was a surprise for me, better than I was expecting - except for the thin side window foils........grrrrr.  GT Spirit are not all that cheap here either, almost the same price as fully opening Biante/Classic Carlectables.

Isn't the 250 SWB a fantastic model!!  Yes, the sheer weight of the thing, all that copper and other fine metals everywhere.  I hope the 275 is just as good, I missed out on the California.

More to come soon.

Cheers

#14 OFFLINE   240Z

240Z

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Good quality 1:18
  • Proud Citizen of:†se

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:18 AM

Ohh my just top notch models...but my favorites must be the RUF, F1 and F40 :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

#15 OFFLINE   Cristi

Cristi

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1538 posts
  • Interests:books and rock music \m/
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Kyosho, CMC, GTSpirit, BBR
  • Proud Citizen of:†ro

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:48 PM

You have some legendary models :eusa_clap:

#16 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2504 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference
  • Proud Citizen of:†gb

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:07 PM

Every piece a cracker, mate! Nice clean pics of them, too.

Btw, who makes the Countach in your avatar? Canít tell if itís a diecast or a 1:1 :-)

Edited by Scuddy, 23 February 2021 - 01:08 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2441 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of:†de

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:43 PM

You are presenting amazing models here, Sam - congrats to this stunning collection!!! :occasion14:

#18 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 13009 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:09 PM

Congratulations on the start of your thread here and what a Awesome line up you have hit us with. Every one is a Gem of a model and loving all the photos, don't pull the photos down i think the photos are Great. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :danke:

#19 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:33 PM

Thanks everyone!  Scuddy, that Countach in my Avatar is a 1:1, an amazing spec LP400S in green with gold wheels - it is (or was recently) for sale at a dealer down the street from my workplace - not sure if it is still there.  It was sitting next to a Daytona, but the Countach is the biz!

#20 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:15 PM

Nigel Mansell's Williams FW14B by Exoto.  This is the test version in bare carbon fibre, I missed out on the full livery version but I still love this model for the stance, the details (wheels, tyres, and of course the engine - V10 all the way).  Probably a high water mark for 1:18 F1 models along with their Ferrari 641, and this era of F1 cars is so much better looking that the latest stuff.  The upcoming release by Autoart of the McLaren MP4/6 has renewed my enthusiasm for F1 models again, I hope it's close to the quality of this Exoto (and probably a bit less fragile - you need to be careful when handling Exotos!).  As Ferris Bueller once said, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:08 PM

AUTOart/Biante Model Cars - E30 BMW M3, 1987 Australian Touring Car Champion.

A great looking version of the M3 driven by legendary Kiwi (and honourary Aussie) Jim Richards. This model has great finishing, the black paint is super deep and smooth in the flesh.  I'll get around to adding the cigarette sponsorship decals one day.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 13009 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:26 PM

Awesome Exoto model and a well known and loved version it is too. Love the livery on the BMW, black and Gold is a Great mix on a car. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :occasion14: :yahoo: :danke:

#23 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:28 PM

Another car driven by the great 'Gentleman" Jim Richards - the guy can get in and drive fast in pretty much everything. He won the Australian Carrera Cup Championship in a Porsche 996 GT3, but this is a model of the later 997 model campaigned during 2006.  Nice model by AUTOart, looks great on the shelf.  Some have criticised this model as being a bit too plasticky, but it doesn't bother me as the final product still looks sharp.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.