Why are Minichamps so pricey? - DX Hobby Talk - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Why are Minichamps so pricey?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   miscing4life

miscing4life

• DX Community
  • 82 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Kyosho, Almost Real
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:33 PM

Some Autoarts (Millennium and Performance) can be found for a bit over the $100 mark on eBay meanwhile the best you can hope for is a sealed model in that price range from Minichamps. If you're looking for an opening model, you might have to fork over $150 and the quality isn't even as good as Autoart's.

As much as I like the BMW E9, I don't think it's worth $150 USD. It even has doglegs.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2195 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy and science, diecast, sim racing,
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: pk

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:18 AM

The answer is that it is not so much the Minichamps being pricey, but that AUTOart models used to cost a LOT less than they do these days, and some of the secondary market prices are reflecting the older prices instead of the "diecast inflation" adjusted prices. Just check out how much AUTOart cost new these days. And the funny thing is that the older AUTOart in Millennium and  Performance lines are much better quality with metal bodies and better internal details, and most importantly tampo printing instead of decals which AUTOart uses now.

So if you can buy these older AUTOart models for €100 or less consider that a good thing and snap them up before they also start rising in prices. I agree about current Minichamps being overpriced even if you take the point of comparison with older Minichamps models themselves, since they are mostly sealed these  days and yet cost more. This has been the general direction of the hobby. At the high end just see how expensive CMC models have become, prices increased to double what they were just 4 or 5 years ago.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3292 posts
  • Interests:European patent prosecution
  • Favorite Brands:no favorite
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:30 AM

Minichamps BMW E9 has doglegs? And don't think the doors have doglegs, do you mean in the trunk?

The AUTOart E9 goes for >300 euro. If the Minichamps is around 120 euro, I think that's fair.
Feel free to have a look of my collection on DX.
http://www.diecastxc...dels-kyosho-m5/

#4 OFFLINE   snowman

snowman

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1478 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Many!
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:32 AM

I agree with Uzair, it's less that Minichamps are expensive, more that you can pick up some AUTOart bargains still.

I bought a Daytona winning Viper,  Panoz GTR and a C5R Corvette last year, all for well under £100 (Sadly the Viper was damaged in transit as the seller didn't realise it wasn't screwed to its base!), which is ridiculously good value by today's standards, barely more than most new sealed models from the 'budget' brands!

M

#5 ONLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32791 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:23 AM

I agree with you guys!

There are these factors too,

It depends on the model.
If it's not a sought after model, the price won't be that high. You can find some older opening Minichamps models for about £30 that are mint and boxed.
If it's a new model it will most likely cost more anyway.

As the thread starter is looking at a BMW E9 from Minichamps, it's a sought after model! So the price will reflect that, especially now as there are never than many opening E9's available for sale on ebay etc, and now they've produced the sealed version, it put the opening one in a higher demand.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.