Budget Pagani Zonda - Wheels, Brakes and Stance works - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Budget Pagani Zonda

8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HighVoltage

HighVoltage

• DX Community
  • 47 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Lamborghini, Volvo
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:05 PM

Hi all, I am aware that this topic has been covered pretty extensively in the past, but I have a specific question that I couldn't find an answer to anywhere.

I need a 1:18 Pagani Zonda model, and I'm only considering the budget options, which means Motormax/Mondo Motors. The two I'm considering are the black C12-S with blue interior and the black Zonda F with black interior (the other colors, I don't care much for except for the Mondo Motors grey/black which is impossible to find in the U.S.).

- I do prefer the purity of the C12-S - I love the rear in particular;
- I hate the wheels on the C12-S, they are just...1mm smaller than they should be
- the F has much nicer wheels, but the back of the car is kind of meh. Interior is much better though.

So here goes the question - those of you who have the C12-S and/or have modified it, does the model have working suspension in the front? Will I be able ti easily remove the springs/shave off some plastic to lower it just a couple of mm? I feel that with a slightly lower front, the small wheels won't look so out of place.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   CentenarioAndVeneno

CentenarioAndVeneno

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Model Cars, Fantasy Football
  • Number of Models:5 built, 12 modified, 4 bought
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, AUTOart,

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:17 PM

Maybe I am just bad at modifying models, but my experiences with pulling apart motormaxs is that they are a pain in butt.  The rear lid is a pain to put back on and you can't take off the engine (or maybe there is a way that I do not know about).

#3 OFFLINE   HighVoltage

HighVoltage

• DX Community
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 09:22 AM

View PostCentenarioAndVeneno, on 28 March 2021 - 09:17 PM, said:

Maybe I am just bad at modifying models, but my experiences with pulling apart motormaxs is that they are a pain in butt.  The rear lid is a pain to put back on and you can't take off the engine (or maybe there is a way that I do not know about).

I didn't have much issues with their Diablo GT, but I did have to shave off plastic to lower its front. Just wondering if someone has tackled this job on the Zonda.

#4 OFFLINE   Out of Gear

Out of Gear

They look better in real life.

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Music, videogames, basketball, tennis, cars, cycling
  • Number of Models:~40
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, HPI, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:18 PM

Hey! I have had a few of Motormax Zonda S (red one I modded and a yellow one in box), they are on front springs and the wheels just pull off. I dropped mine and used sharpie to paint the wheels black on one of them. You're best off getting an aftermarket set of wheels for them as the wheel and tire package on them is truly horrible and really can't be saved.

The Zonda F is a more crude model, but the proportions and wheel / tires are better so it actually looks better from a distance IMO. I love the Zonda too much to settle for a budget model, so I'm waiting for whenever Almost Real releases theirs (have two pre-orders in). That one is a great looking model for sure.
Come to my house to see my collection!

#5 OFFLINE   snackwel5

snackwel5

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Watches, Baseball, Coin Collecting, Music, Photography
  • Number of Models:60 - 1:18
    11 - 1:43
    300+ - 1:64
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Maisto, Exoto

Posted 31 March 2021 - 11:35 AM

View PostCentenarioAndVeneno, on 28 March 2021 - 09:17 PM, said:

The trick to taking out the engine is to remove the silver crossbar on the top. Then the rest of the engine block is plastic welded from points on the undercarriage. Simple to take off, and you can put it back together however it isn't going to be as secure. I was considering putting in my Zonda R engine that I got off AUTOart spares into my Motor Max C12s, but decided against it as it's a cooler display piece on its own.

View PostOut of Gear, on 30 March 2021 - 08:18 PM, said:

Hey! I have had a few of Motormax Zonda S (red one I modded and a yellow one in box), they are on front springs and the wheels just pull off. I dropped mine and used sharpie to paint the wheels black on one of them. You're best off getting an aftermarket set of wheels for them as the wheel and tire package on them is truly horrible and really can't be saved.

The Zonda F is a more crude model, but the proportions and wheel / tires are better so it actually looks better from a distance IMO. I love the Zonda too much to settle for a budget model, so I'm waiting for whenever Almost Real releases theirs (have two pre-orders in). That one is a great looking model for sure.

I'm eagerly awaiting one too! I would love to have a fully opening high end version, something no one has done in the past. That's a downfall to me with the budget models, the front clamshell is sealed! I'm tempted to just get a top speed sealed version as a place holder until my pre order Almost Real Tricolore comes out
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   HighVoltage

HighVoltage

• DX Community
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:54 PM

View PostOut of Gear, on 30 March 2021 - 08:18 PM, said:

Thanks! Do you mind taking a picture of that Zonda S that you've modded?
I know what you mean about the proportions of the Zonda F model - I was tempted to buy both and use the wheels from the F on the C12S (which I think the convertible S used in real life anyways)

#7 OFFLINE   Out of Gear

Out of Gear

They look better in real life.

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Music, videogames, basketball, tennis, cars, cycling
  • Number of Models:~40
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, HPI, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 01 April 2021 - 11:44 AM

I think I have some old old photos here: https://www.diecastx...on/page__st__50

Hope that gives you some good inspo, painting the door trim black made a huge difference as well. I'm not sure if the MotorMax/Mondo F wheels swap directly onto the C12 S but its definitely worth a shot! The F brakes look a lot better too.
Come to my house to see my collection!

#8 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1651 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:09 PM

I have a Solido Zonda C12 in blue, but I'm almost 100% sure it's just a reboxed Motormax, although it says "Solido" on the chassis. It's got working suspension on all corners.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to take it apart, but I have the feeling that the wheels come off by pulling out. Don't try that if you're unsure, though.

I had some Mondo Motors/Motormax which had wheels screwed on at the center, just like some Kyoshos, you just pop the center cap out to reveal the Philips screw head. One example of that is Mondo's Gallardo.

Here's some old pictures of the Solido Zonda:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by cwbs, 01 April 2021 - 12:23 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   HighVoltage

HighVoltage

• DX Community
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 01:01 PM

View PostOut of Gear, on 01 April 2021 - 11:44 AM, said:

I think I have some old old photos here: https://www.diecastx...on/page__st__50

Hope that gives you some good inspo, painting the door trim black made a huge difference as well. I'm not sure if the MotorMax/Mondo F wheels swap directly onto the C12 S but its definitely worth a shot! The F brakes look a lot better too.

Thanks, I found a small old picture that you took. The blackened wheels definitely make it look better, and so does the black door frame. I also plan on painting the taillight surround black.

@cwbs - thanks for these. See...yes, the wheels do look terrible. But I much prefer the shape of the C12S than the Zonda F, even if they are very similar.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.