Autoart Countach and Murcielago restoration - DX Model Repair and Restoration - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Autoart Countach and Murcielago restoration

8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HighVoltage

HighVoltage

• DX Community
  • 56 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Lamborghini, Volvo
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 26 April 2021 - 09:31 PM

I couldn't find a better place to post this. Won an ebay auction for a pair of damaged Autoarts - a white Countach and a Orange Murcielago. Great deal on the price, despite their flaws. Nothing too major, but they definitely needed some love, especially the Countach.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both of them had missing mirrors. The Countach had glue residue all over and the previous owner had actually glued the Murcielago wiper to the windshield of the Countach (?!?!?!)

Anyways, I cut/painted a pair of mirrors from a Bburago F40, and sacrificed the mirrors from a Welly Murciealago. Then I wet sanded and polished the Countach. I was able to remove 90% of the glue residue, and what's left doesn't really bother me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here it is among the rest of the Countach stable, along with a Bburago 288 GTO I recently touched up and improved:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33063 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:18 AM

Nice turn around. Both look really good now!

Did you wet sand the screen on the Countach ? I've done that before on deeply scratched windows and one's that I couldn't see through (I use polishing cloths which do basically the same thing, but they go up to super fine grades) then it's the usual polish up afterwards.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#3 OFFLINE   HighVoltage

HighVoltage

• DX Community
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:26 AM

I did not wet sand the windscreen, I was afraid of breaking it upon removal. The ones on my Kyoshos just lift up easily, but this one seems super-glued at the bottom and I did not want to pry too hard. I did use a little bit of compound and then polish on it and that improved it immensely.

#4 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1748 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:02 AM

I've brought a few unloved and neglected diecasts back to life, it feels very rewarding when you know you saved them.

Superglue on paint and clear plastics is very tricky to remove, but you've done a great job on that Countach! :eusa_clap:

#5 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2845 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:23 AM

Wow very good job at restoring that poor Countach. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:  A white Countach is the ultimate statement for a successful yuppy in the 80s. :drool5:  Love it how you meticulously removed the glue stain and all the smear on the painted surface. The F40 donor side mirrors definitely fit the Countach well. Looks totally stock now. I would also like to compliment on a very neat detailing job you did on that Bburago 288 GTO in the group shot. Have you ever considered covering up the exposed wheel stubs with something say a prancing horse decal to emulate centre hub cap?

#6 OFFLINE   winstoncds

winstoncds

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4404 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of: in

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:58 AM

Well done on rescuing the models. Glad it has come to a great home where it will be cherished for a long, long, long time. Hard to say while looking at the after-pics that it suffered that much abuse.
I know Kung-fu
and 50 other such dangerous words.

#7 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6811 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: dk

Posted 27 April 2021 - 09:04 AM

it didnt look too good before, especially the Countach. but it turned out pretty good after repairing them.

#8 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33063 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:56 PM

View PostHighVoltage, on 27 April 2021 - 04:26 AM, said:

I did not wet sand the windscreen, I was afraid of breaking it upon removal. The ones on my Kyoshos just lift up easily, but this one seems super-glued at the bottom and I did not want to pry too hard. I did use a little bit of compound and then polish on it and that improved it immensely.
Cool, it looks to have come up nicely. I hate it when people use crap super glue on models, especially windscreens!

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#9 OFFLINE   HighVoltage

HighVoltage

• DX Community
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:29 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll post better pictures in my thread later this weekend when I have some free time.

@jazzy426 - I hadn't thought about adding decals to the 288GTO. I actually just put on the F40 wheels on it and did the detailing. I also added side windows and bent the door hinges a little to improve the shutlines (I don't intend to open the doors because even though I painted the interior black, the Bburago interior still leaves a lot to be desired). I'm working on improving my technique in adding the black window stripes/tint to my models. Still not perfect, but getting there. I'll post pictures of that one too later this weekend, but in my mind it is as good as the HWE 288 GTO with the details added.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.