2006 Welly Dodge Charger Daytona - Welly | FX | GT Autos - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

2006 Welly Dodge Charger Daytona

6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AutoAddict

AutoAddict

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 605 posts
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Hwy61
  • Proud Citizen of:†us

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:57 AM

Posted Image

This is my first model and review of 2008. As I mentioned in my first impression, I was apprehensive about buying a Welly, as they seem to have a somewhat negative reputation, but theyíre currently the only maker of the new Charger in 1:18. The model comes in the standard Welly window box. The car is secured to the base with 4 screws, which helps keep it in place during shipping vs the typical 2 screw method I usually see. Right out of the box this is a HEAVY model. The 1:1 is a bit hefty as well, so it seems appropriate. The Charger features all the standard opening parts; hood, trunk, and front doors, the wheels steer, all standard budget fair. Shut lines are very good, the hood being most difficult to open. I was unable to get a fingernail underneath any gaps to open it, having to resort to an opening tool, which was also unable to pop it open. I had to gently bend at the front end to make it open. The downside of being such a tight fit, paint chipping on the edge of the hood itself. The front doors are on dog-leg hinges, and open less than 45 degrees. The back doors are sealed shut.

Exterior

Posted Image

I chose the copper version, itís also available in yellow and red. The paint is glossy and smooth on my copy. The Charger presents an intimidating face. The Daytona version has a blacked out grill with R/T badge offset in the lower, right-hand corner. The quad headlamps are well done, with no visible attachment pegs. The hood decal is painted in flat black with the word HEMI cut out on both sides. Moving to the side, the small HEMI badge placed just behind the front wheel opening is a tampo. A Daytona stripe runs down both rear quarter panels, painted in the same flat black as the hood decal. The deck-lid is topped with a flat-black spoiler, with Charger and R/T badges painted over the black-out panel. The tail-lamps are transparent red, with silver stripes painted on to simulate the reverse lights.

Posted Image

Interior

Posted Image

Inside, Welly did a nice job of recreating the 1:1, with legible white-faced gauges with sliver trim rings in a two-tone gray and black dash, a body colored center stack with all the correct switchgear, and the properly gated auto shifter, all nicely done. The attention to small detail in the cabin is impressive. Each knob has itís own paint application, the front seatbelts hang from the B pillar, with red release buttons for the latches, and painted buckles for the front and back belts. In an unexpected area, the interior A and C pillars and headliner are all painted to match the interior trim. Sun visors and the overhead console are molded into the headliner. No carpet here folks. Opening the trunk reveals the back of the rear seat, with molded in line representing the 60/40 folding split. The only detail missing is the color stitching used on the seats. I'll look to add some black felt for carpet later on.

Engine

Posted Image

The hood opens to reveal a quite accurate engine, albeit bland, being hidden under yet another large engine cover. As in the 1:1, the cover insert is painted to match the body color, with 5.7 V8 stamped into it and the word HEMI on each side. The underside of the hood is painted in a flat black to simulate the insulating pad. The paint inside the engine bay is quite thin, but at least it isnít bare metal with a touch of overspray as Maisto and Bburago are famous for. Again, what's here is accurate to the 1:1, but not much to see.

Wheels/Brakes

Posted Image

Accurate to the 1:1, the wheels feature a split 5 spoke design with the outline of the Dodge ramís head logo in the center cap, with valve stems molded in. I found the molded in balance weights to be an interesting touch. I canít recall any other model having them. The brakes are static, one piece rotor/caliper you expect on  Maisto models, with the caliper painted black. The brakes on the 1:1 arenít very detailed either, so aside from not spinning with the wheel, I say theyíre accurate. The tires are unbranded and feature a tread pattern that wraps around to the sidewall a bit too much. Something about the look of them just bothers me.

Undercarriage

Posted Image

Lots of molded in, but unpainted, details present. Working suspension (springs on posts, another common Maisto touch), painted exhaust, nice detail on transmission and cross-member, simulated driveshaft (molded plastic running from transmission to differential), mostly average stuff under here.

Summary

Brakes - accuracy=7 detail=6
Engine - accuracy=7 detail=6
Exterior - accuracy=7 detail=7
Interior - accuracy=7 detail=7
Paint - accuracy=8 detail=7
Tampo/Decals - accuracy=8 detail=6
Tires/Wheels - accuracy=6 detail=8
Undercarriage - accuracy=7 detail=6

Overall - accuracy 7.1 detail 6.6

Some Mopar ďpuristsĒ lampoon this Charger because it has 4 doors, or it diminishes the name Charger somehow. While I agree that you canít see any hint of the hey day Chargers anywhere on this car, and it lacks the flowing lines of the í68-í70, and you wonít envision it jumping ravineís in Hazzard county, itís still a Dodge, powered by a HEMI, with an aggresive character all itís own. Welly did a commendable job recreating the 1:1 at a budget price. Itís not perfect, but few budget models are. Still the dogleg hinges are a downer. Maisto and Bburago have models with real hinges, and UT had sedans with 4 opening doors a decade ago. In that sense, itís a bit behind the curve. If youíre a Mopar fan, or just a muscle car guy, you won't be disappointed.
Come on wallet, don't fail me now.

My collection thread

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 Guest_Bugattitude_*

Guest_Bugattitude_*

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:16 AM

Outstanding review !
AUTOart I don't think there's a nail or a thumbtack you did not hit on the head. :giggle
A lot of what you mentioned re the Welly is also applicable to the Maisto, apart from the M has 2 doors.
Welly's are like chicken teeth here in SA so it will probably be months before I can do an eye to eye. The M is on the shelves here, that's why I could do a comparo.
Great stuff.
:cheers

#3 OFFLINE   Mike K

Mike K

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 5600 posts
  • Number of Models:120+
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, older Autoart and UT, Cult, Tecnomodel

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:42 AM

Great review!  I imagine this would look great next to my Highway 61 Challenger Concept

#4 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4910 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

What a great review!  Looks like you have a winner on your hands.  At a budget price, who could ask for more.  Looks like Welly nailed this one!

Congrats!!!
Sean

p.s.  Jada also makes this car.  I had one for a while but it seemed to be out of scale and didn't have near as much detail as the Welly representation of the new Charger.

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ

Posted Image

Click HERE for my 1:1 Plymouth 'Cuda restoration project

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

#5 OFFLINE   ricallen

ricallen

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4291 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:36 PM

Excellent review!  :nicejob
r i c

Click on my banner below to go to The Diecast Gallery!
Posted Image
Got questions? See the DX Guidelines and more here!

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is pretty much the same.

#6 OFFLINE   AutoAddict

AutoAddict

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 605 posts
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Hwy61

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:49 PM

118supercars, on Mar 9 2008, 12:42 PM, said:

Great review!  I imagine this would look great next to my Highway 61 Challenger Concept

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly where I have mine  :cheers
Come on wallet, don't fail me now.

My collection thread

#7 Guest_DiecastX_*

Guest_DiecastX_*

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the honest review on what appears to be an honest model.

I'm not much of a fan of the 1:1, but the scale version surely does make for some nice displaying.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.