J_D's Racers: 1/18th Exoto Ferrari 312T4 - 09/16/20 - DX 1:18 Collectors - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums - Page 30

J_D's Racers: 1/18th Exoto Ferrari 312T4 - 09/16/20

• Please log in to reply
767 replies to this topic

#726 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4421 posts
  • Interests:NFL, Auto racing, playing pool, collecting large-scale diecast racing cars (1/18th and up)
  • Number of Models:1/10th: 2; 1/12th: 1; 1/18th: 176; 1/43rd: 5
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, GMP, Minichamps, Carousel 1, Auto Art
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:32 PM

Thanks, Ixoye and Darren. These are my favorite models of my favorite car and love sharing them. By the way, I added a couple of pics - how could I do a bio of the man who developed, tested and raced the Cobra and not actually show him IN one :nice:?
I just want someone whose baggage goes with mine [from "Rent"]...
- Red

My 1/18th collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...16/#entry557038

My 1/43rd collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...d-riverside-300

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#727 OFFLINE   Floper54

Floper54

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 905 posts
  • Number of Models:400+
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, Autoart, GMP, Minichamps,.....
  • Proud Citizen of: fr

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

Brilliant work on this review, the story is very interesting as always.
I've seen the controversial finish of the 1966 Le Mans 24h in many Ford GT books

Incredible models, full of details.... just beautiful  :eusa_clap:

Have you seen the new MKI GT coming from Spark in 1/18 ? Daytona 1967 #11, J Ickx.....
My 1/18 collection : 400+ models http://www.diecastxc...118-collection/

#728 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4421 posts
  • Interests:NFL, Auto racing, playing pool, collecting large-scale diecast racing cars (1/18th and up)

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:48 PM

Thank you, Florian - took me a while to get this story straight since there are so many views on who "deserved" to win and what factors led to the decision to stage a dead heat and even on the final lap.

These are my favorite models of one of my two favorite race cars (the other is the Chaparral 2E). Once I get a better camera I'm going to re-do some of these pics!

Yes, I saw the announcement and when I first saw a pic of the car (which I incorporated in my photo-study of my GMP #21 Ferrari 330P4 Berlinetta) I was curious about seeing it in the flesh, so to speak:  

Posted Image

When I added the post, I mentioned my "concern" about sending Dave7872 into another collecting frenzy trying to find models of cars in this original Gulf livery, too :giggle:!

Edited by Jersey_Devil, 01 June 2018 - 05:54 PM.

- Red

#729 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts
  • Interests:Family. LFC. F1. WEC. Model Cars. Movies. The Grand Tour. Top Gear
  • Favorite Brands:Gulf & Martini Porsche's.
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:09 PM

Man o man these are on another level Red.... Simply breath taking detail. I still have the pictures of when Darren came to visit me and brought his #1 car to show me.

They are HUGE, Congrats on owning these beauties mate.  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :10:

Ps..... Only Gulf Porsche... I wish I could collect more Gulf cars... But there's just so damn many.

Edited by Dave7872, 03 June 2018 - 03:13 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" If one does not fail at times, Then one has not challenged himself "

Ferdinand Porsche.

My Showcase Pictures.... Click here

#730 OFFLINE   KB34

KB34

• DX Community
  • 20 posts
  • Favorite Brands:BBR, CMC, Top Marques, Exoto

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:34 PM

Wow!

That's an amazing collection Jersey!

I love the history of the cars! This should be required reading for anyone starting a collection of historic racers.

#731 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4421 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:48 PM

Thank you, KB34 - I'm always delighted when someone appreciates the work I put into researching and writing my histories. I believe strongly that knowing the background of the 1:1 helps collectors appreciate the models even more. Besides, being a long-time racing fan anyway, I love finding information and pics on the internet that I never encountered previously about the sport I so love.
- Red

#732 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4421 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 04:43 PM

It's been a while since I've added to my collection pics/stories for many reasons but I have something some of you might appreciate now.

The original Ford GT40 (now classified as "Mk. I") was inspired by Eric Broadley's Lola Mk6 GT-Ford of 1963 (as well as Broadley being on the initial team responsible for its design and construction, resulting in the English press insisting on calling it Lola-Ford instead of its correct name). The cars were built in 1964 in the U.K. by Ford Advanced Vehicles (headed by John Wyer of later Gulf J.W. Automotive Engineering fame) but failed to finish any of the races entered that year, though they demonstrated great speed.

Posted Image
The first Lola Mk. 6 GT-Ford, driven by Richard Attwood and David Hobbs in the 1963 24 Hours of Le Mans. It gave a good showing, running in the top ten at one point but retired after an accident in the 15th hour caused by transmission troubles.

The failures resulted in parent company Ford handing the development, testing and racing of the car to Shelby American after its success with the Ford-powered Cobra. Shelby tore the cars apart and rebuilt them from the chassis up, replacing most significant components and upgrading the aerodynamics as well. Reliability was greatly improved and, against limited Ferrari opposition in the American endurance races the cars excelled. But when the championship continued in Europe, the performance deficit to the factory Ferraris was significant.

Ford had created the Kar Kraft subsidiary at the end of 1964 to perform motorsports-related R&D without most of the parent company bureaucracy and its initial task was to design a transmission to replace the Colotti that, despite extensive modification, still broke regularly trying to handle the Mk. I’s 4.7-liter (289 c.i.) V-8 engines. In March 1965, KK started work on what would become the 7-liter Mk. II but was not initially planning to run it that year. Blinding test speeds encouraged a “suit” to decide two cars would go to Le Mans despite still being in development mode. They required a lot of additional work, particularly on the aerodynamics (resulting in tabs and fins sprouting all over) but made a big splash, taking pole over five seconds faster than Ferrari’s best and both cars completely running away at the start of the race. Ultimately, however, both would be out by the 8th hour with gearbox (surprise!) and clutch problems.

Posted Image
Bruce McLaren and Ken Miles drove this Ford GT40 Mk. II during its debut in the 1965 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Posted Image
The #2 was driven by Chris Amon and Phil Hill. Despite running away with the race, the twin 7-liter Kar Kraft creations would both DNF.

Despite the results, this was enough to convince Ford to commit to the 7-liter engines after noodling around with multiple other configurations. The 427s were common (powering the popular Ford Galaxie family sedans) and therefore inexpensive, ultra-reliable (having been proven in NASCAR for years) and simple compared to the exotic Ferrari V-12s. But the Mk. IIs weighed 900 – 1000 pounds more, meaning greater stress on components like transmissions, tires and, especially, brakes.

This led to the development of quick-change brake pads which contributed to Ford’s successes in 1966. But the next stage was already in development: the “J” Car, the first from the ground up all-American GT40. It replaced the steel chassis of its predecessors with an aluminum honeycomb chassis to save weight while maintaining strength and stiffness. It was tested and modified throughout 1966 but never exceeded the race-proven Mk. IIs in performance and, after Ken Miles was killed testing it in the fall, underwent significant upgrades, especially with the addition of a NASCAR-style roll cage (which cancelled a lot of the weight-saving from other features).

Posted ImagePosted Image
Chris Amon and Bruce McLaren drove the "J" car at the 1966 Le Mans Test Days.

Posted Image
Ever-evolving, tests at Daytona before the 1967 24-hour race led Ford to decide to stick with upgraded Mk. IIs for the race.

The debacle of the 1967 Daytona Continental 24-Hours (forever remembered as “The Revenge of ‘Il Commendatore’” after Ferrari’s 1-2-3 finish and perfect photoshoot compared to Ford’s botched one at Le Mans in 1966 and the failure of five of the six Mk. IIs in the race), spurred Ford to get on with the development of the former “J” Car, which resulted in the very different Mk. IV. The 7-liter Ford engines were now consistently getting 500+ horsepower (compared to 485 in 1966) and the team took one Mk. IV and one Mk. II to Sebring for the 12-Hours. Bruce McLaren and Mario Andretti drove the Mk. IV while A.J. Foyt and Lloyd Ruby handled a much-lightened Mk. II. Ferrari skipped the race, but Chaparral was there with its 2F and a 2D, both sporting 7-liter Chevy engines as at Daytona.

Posted Image

The McLaren/Mario Andretti Mk. IV before the start of its first race, the 1967 12 Hours of Sebring

McLaren took pole, nearly seven seconds under Dan Gurney’s previous record 1966 qualifying lap in a Mk. II, followed nearly three seconds back by the 2F, helmed by Mike Spence/Jim Hall (Phil Hill had an appendicitis attack so owner-designer Hall stepped in), then the Mk. II and the Bob Johnson/Bruce Jennings 2D. Race day saw McLaren lead early as Hall demanded his drivers buckle up before leaving the grid in the Le Mans-style start, so Spence started 30 seconds behind. But by the three-hour mark, the winged Chaparral was in the lead and that heralded a long battle for the top spot (mirrored by the Mk. II and 2D in 3rd and 4th places) with the lap record being broken twenty times (Spence would leave it nearly two seconds faster than he qualified and just 0.6 seconds off McLaren’s record pole time).

Posted Image

The A.J. Foyt/Lloyd Ruby Ford GT40 Mk. IIB and the McLaren/Andretti Mk. IV in the pits during pre-race practice at Sebring.

But at the eight-hour mark the Chaparral was out with transmission problems (a persistent problem the entire year) with the 2D out with ignition problems slightly earlier. McLaren and Andretti would cruise the rest of the way for the Mk. IV’s win in its maiden race while the Foyt/Ruby Mk. II would suffer engine failure a half-hour before the finish, but still be classified 2nd ahead of the fast-closing 2-liter factory Porsche 910 of Scooter Patrick and Gerhard Mitter, which would finish on the same lap.

Two weeks later, another Mk. IV and the first Mk. IIB were taken to Le Mans for the Test Days. The Mk. IV demonstrated instability at speed (ending up with the same rear fins seen on the 1965 Mk. IIs) and was nearly ELEVEN seconds behind the fastest Ferrari 330 P4 (which was five seconds under Gurney’s 1966 record pole lap). The Mk. IIB – which some felt would be faster than the Mk. IV with its improved aerodynamics - was 3-1/2 seconds faster than the Mk. IV but still nothing for Ford to be happy about.   

Posted ImagePosted Image
Bruce McLaren in the #1 Mk. IV (not the Sebring car, a new one) during the 1967 April Test Days at Le Mans. Note the 1965-style fins on the rear deck to combat aero-instability.

Development continued up to the time to report to Le Mans for the 1967 24-hour event. Four Mk. IVs (Shelby American's #1: Dan Gurney/A.J. Foyt and #2: McLaren/Mark Donohue; and Holman-Moody's #3; Andretti/Lucien Bianchi and #4: Denny Hulme/Ruby) and three Mk. IIBs (H-M #5: Frank Gardner/Roger McCluskey; S-A: #57: Ronnie Bucknum/Paul Hawkins; Ford France #6: Jo Schlesser/Guy Ligier) were entered.

Posted Image
The seven factory Fords lined up in the pits at Le Mans.

During practice, a problem developed with the Mk. IV's: their windshields started cracking due to a manufacturing fault. But, proving that there's no replacement for cubic dollars, Ford had a 747 chartered to ship replacement windshields directly from Dow Corning in Detroit to France and transported to Le Mans.

A further issue struck Gurney and Foyt. Both were what Carroll Shelby disparagingly called "fiddle-fuddlers" and had changed so many of the #1's settings that its handling had become abysmal. Shelby, without discussing it with his two stars, had his crew reset the car to the factory settings - and the complaints stopped. But what did come out of their practice was Gurney instructing Foyt - making his first visit to Le Mans - on how to baby the car's brakes so they would last longer than their competitors’.  

In qualifying, McLaren took pole in the #2, six seconds under Gurney's 1966 record, followed only 0.3 seconds back by the Spence/Phil Hill Chaparral 2F, then Andretti's #3 and Hulme's #4. The embattled #1 was 9th and the pre-race favorite among team members to be the first car to drop out of the race...

The Le Mans start saw original Honda F1 driver Ronnie Bucknum in the #57 Mk. IIB get a huge lead from the flag:

Posted Image

Posted Image
The Ronnie Bucknum/Paul Hawkins Mk. IIB leads the eventual 2nd place #21 Ludovico/Scarfiotti/Mike Parkes Ferrari 330 P4 through The Esses later in the race.

Posted Image
The Frank Gardner/Roger McCluskey Mk. IIB before the early morning accident that took out three factory Fords.

Gardner's #6 Mk. IIB and Gurney's Mk. IV followed Bucknum but early visitors to the pits included Hulme's Mk. IV with a sticking throttle, Bianchi's with a cracked windscreen from a stone and Gardner for a tire change (lost balance weight). Bucknum stayed in front until the first pit stops, after which Foyt would put the #1 in front - for good. Bucknum had a water line split that forced a repair job and driving around at low speeds until he covered the minimum number of laps until regulations permitted replacing the lost water.

At two hours, the order was Gurney/Foyt, Hill/Spence 2F, Andretti/Bianchi and McLaren/Donohue followed by three Ferrari P4s while Hulme set an absolute lap record nearly a second faster than McLaren's pole time (matched by Andretti), but also paid a visit to a sand pit.

Posted Image
The Hulme/Ruby and Andretti/Bianchi Mk. IVs traveling in close proximity. They were like this when Hulme set the lap record (nearly a second faster than McLaren's pole time) so it's possible Andretti tied it at the same time.

At five hours, it was #1, #2 and #3 followed by the #7 2F but the #4 was having brake problems and went up the escape road, as did the #5 McCluskey Mk. IIB.

Posted Image
The Hulme/Ruby Mk. IV during one of several lurid moments it experienced due to brake issues before an oil slick put it over the sand bank for good.

At seven hours, the #8 2F was out while its faster teammate's wing was stuck in the "down" position, losing it up to 15 mph on the straights. Ruby hit oil at the Mulsanne corner and put the #4 Mk. IV in the sand for good. "I heard it took them two days to dig it out", he was later quoted as saying. Andretti/Bianchi were suffering gear change problems.

Posted Image
The Denny Hulme/Lloyd Ruby Mk. IV sits in the sand pit at the Mulsanne Corner, its day done as the Vic Elford/Ben Pons Porsche 906 passes on its way to 7th place and victory in the Sports Under-2-Liter class. Note how high the sand verge is and consider how fast the Ford must have been going to vault it and land on the other side!

At 11 hours the order was #1, #2, #3 Fords, #21 Scarfiotti/Parkes P4, Chaparral, another Ford, two Ferraris, Ford, Ferrari. Andretti stopped for new brake pads but, according to one story, Foyt brought the leading #1 in and started complaining loudly about something and, distracted, the mechanic installed the replacement brake pads for Andretti upside down. Mario went back out and, in the esses, the brakes locked and the car crashed into the bank. With damaged ribs, Andretti crawled out of his car, but McCluskey came up fast in the #5 Mk. IIB and, not knowing Andretti was out of the car, tried to avoid t-boning the wreck and also crashed. Immediately afterward, Jo Schlesser in the #6 Ford France Mk. IIB came up on the carnage and crashed as well. McCluskey, unhurt, got out of his car and found the injured Andretti lying on the ground and carried him to the Ford enclave because he said later that all the drivers had been warned not to accept aid from French doctors and to only let Americans treat them.

Three factory Fords out in an instant.  

Posted ImagePosted Image
The McCluskey (#5) and Andretti (#3) Fords after the accident

13 hours and the #1 had a five lap lead over three P4s while the Chaparral, which had maintained 3rd despite the wing issue, was in the pits with a broken seal on its transmission in the middle of a replacement job that owner/designer Jim Hall estimated would take two hours. McLaren/Donohue #2 needed clutch adjustments.

Gurney and Foyt eased their pace and Mike Parkes in the #21 P4 pulled up on Gurney's tail, flashing his lights and doing everything he could to make a nuisance of himself, hoping to force a mistake. After a couple of laps like this, Gurney PULLS OFF THE TRACK AND STOPS - and Parkes DOES THE SAME! So the cars in 1st and 2nd in a race averaging nearly 140 mph were idling on the side of the track...

After a short time, Parkes got the message and drove off, with Gurney following, ending that ploy.

When the Mk. IV debuted at Sebring, the rear deck opened at the back of the driver cockpit, but before Le Mans, some Ford "suit" ordered the Mk. IVs to move the hinge location to the back of the car instead, supposedly to improve access to the engine compartment. After all its clutch issues, McLaren in the #2 had the rear deck blow off on the 200+ mph Mulsanne straight. He drives around to locate and replace the deck, then drove back to the pits holding it on with one hand.

Posted Image
Before the blow-off: note the gap at the front of the rear deck, just enough to let air underneath at 200+ mph to blow it off....

Posted Image
McLaren wheels his half-naked Mk. IV back to the pits before being ordered to go back out and retrieve the missing body part.

Posted Image
The Shelby crew tamps down the tape on the injured #2; this may be before French officials ordered the deck to be able to open (though there appear to be belts on the rear window, ready to be used as hinges).

The Shelby American mechanics scrambled to tape the deck onto the car, only to be informed by French officials that it had to be able to open. So they cut it loose and commandeered teammates’ belts (include bossman Carroll Shelby’s) to fashion a makeshift hinge and sent the #2 on its way. The #1 started to show the same degradation that led to the #2’s mishap so during its stop tape was added just in case…

Posted Image
Ford GT - "Grey Tape"

Hour 19 saw the Bucknum/Hawkins Mk. IIB finally go out with a blown engine. There are only two Fords and two Ferrari prototypes left, all in the top four positions followed by four Porsches.

At four p.m. Foyt brought the #1 across the finish line, leading the Scarfiotti/Parkes and the Willy Mairesse/Jean “Beurlys” Blaton 330 P4s by four and eleven laps, respectively, with the heavily taped McLaren/Donohue Mk. IV (McLaren: “Now I know what GT means: ‘Grey Tape’”!) another 18 laps back. And on the winner’s stand, Gurney spontaneously creates a racing tradition for the first time: spraying champagne everywhere.

Posted ImagePosted Image

And that's the story behind the Ford GT40 Mk. IV: started two races, won both, obsolete the next year...

The Exoto Mk. IVs are superb, as we all have come to expect, and display the differences between the Sebring version – most notably the front-hinged rear deck) and the four Le Mans cars (the tire hatch on their rear decks). The #1 Le Mans-winner also has the famed Gurney Bubble for the 6-foot-4 Californian, although there is a raised ridge around it that is much too exaggerated compared to the 1:1. Likewise similar ridges where the doors extend into the roof are much larger than in reality (similar to GMPs rivets on steroids).

I’m also experiencing some fitting issues with the #1 (not the other models) where the driver’s door and the tire hatch on the rear deck won’t seal properly once opened. The wheel centers on all the Le Mans cars except possibly the #2 appear to be the wrong colors and should be gunmetal grey/silver, not black. But Exoto got the four cars’ varying external mirror colors and placements correct (as well as the fact that the Sebring #1 has none at all).

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Jersey_Devil, 23 September 2020 - 10:12 PM.

- Red

#733 OFFLINE   wrx_triggerhappy

wrx_triggerhappy

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 5221 posts
  • Number of Models:Lost count
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, ERTL, SC, Greenlight

Posted 17 August 2020 - 07:51 PM

Stunning. Sorry I'm drooling. Back to the pictures. :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :10: :10: :10:
Sam

Recent Additions:
Not much since the wife controls me and the money and the 93 octane isn't cheap!

my collection

#734 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5112 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.

Posted 17 August 2020 - 08:49 PM

Red - Probably late to the party, but I have to agree:  1) You do such great research; and 2) you take some great photos of your complete collection.

For me, I only added the #4 car to my collection, for several reasons:  1) Lack of space to display; 2) Added another Guardsman Blue Ford to my collection, and 3) Added another Hulme model to my collection.

As documented below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#735 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4421 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 09:18 PM

Thank you Sam and Jim (I think I have all your records :nice:) - this is why I do all that research, for people who can appreciate it :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: .

And now after this visit to the Denny Hulme Shrine, I don't want to hear any jibes about my Gurney fetish, Jim - LOL!

Edited by Jersey_Devil, 17 August 2020 - 09:19 PM.

- Red

#736 OFFLINE   simondc07

simondc07

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3747 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Sports, Finance, Poker, and the Wild
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 18 August 2020 - 05:53 AM

Great read and some spectacular period photos too. I have always loved the Ford GT40 and have a MkII and MkIV by Exoto in my collection. I don't think Dan Gurney is given enough credit for his contribution to motorsports. He has been an absolute trend setter and ranks amongst my 'non Ferrari' motorsports heros (Mark Donohue, Stirling Moss, Jim Hall to name but a few). The MkIV whilst not as well known as the MkII is my choice of ultimate Ford and my '67 Le Mans Winner by Exoto' will always remain in the family. With my CMC '722' SLR these are my diecast favourites.

You have an awesome collection there Red and the squadron of Exoto GT40s is a sight to behold - well done on your foresight to snap them up.

Posted Image

#737 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4941 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:32 AM

Superb stuff!.
Your history lesson should be a warning to anyone who wants to run a race programme - keep the 'grey suits' away.
I think it's the case now that most manufacturers understand this.
Reading through various issues of the excellent 'Automobil Sport' magazines shows it has been a problem with all of the big guns of motorsport.
Although it looks to be an issue with Ferrari (and Ducati it would seem) to this day.
Some people never learn.....

#738 OFFLINE   MerkurKing16

MerkurKing16

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1969 posts
  • Interests:Anything that is interesting
  • Favorite Brands:Spark

Posted 18 August 2020 - 10:01 AM

Unbelievable write up Red! You should write a book. And of course, beautiful models from ‘67. One day I’ll add the Sebring and LeMans winner, but the going prices are just too much. I sold my #2 and I’ll probably sell the #3 and #4 as well. Trimming down to race winners or special GT40s like the “Mercury” branded MkII.

#739 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4421 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:19 PM

Simon - thanks for the luv - it's always a pleasure to see you comment positively on my posts. Gurney IS considered an icon in the U.S., at least; he's in the pantheon of U.S. motorsports legends with Mario Andretti, A.J. Foyt, Parnelli Jones, Roger Penske, Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt, Sr. Sadly, because of his early death, Donohue's name, though highly respected, doesn't get nearly the attention it should and similarly Jim Hall's, because his impact was limited to sports cars and a relatively brief visit to the top of the mountain in Indy cars.

slarti - I appreciate the extreme compliment! Since the invention of the corporation, "suits" have been part of nearly every area that a business can be involved in, some for good, more for bad. Let's face it, if Henry Ford II hadn't thrown a hissy-fit at Enzo's last-second rejection of his purchase, Ford would never have become the player in some of the greatest moments of motorsport history. On the other hand, it might have won sooner if some junior execs had kept their hands out of the cookie jar. I'll give you one example: in the lead-up to the 1965 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Fords looked good in qualifying. Then some suit came in and ordered the Mk. Is to switch out their race engines and replace them with ones he brought - no explanation or justification.

Bob Bondurant qualified 3rd in his Rob Walker-entered/Shelby American-prepared #7 Mk. I with its race-proven 4.7L (289 c.i.) engine. The replacement, an unproven 5.3L (325 c.i.) engine, blew a head gasket in three hours. Bondurant to this day is convinced that he and co-driver Umberto Maglioli could have won the race with the original engine, taking into account all the failures that would occur by race-end. By the way, they qualified 8 seconds faster than the ultimate winners, Masten Gregory and Jochen Rindt, in their year-old 3.3 L 250 LM.

Posted Image

Jon - thanks for the kudos. I truly understand your plans for your collection. Just keep in mind that the Exoto "Mercury" GT40 Mk. II is just a repainted 1966 Mk. II and doesn't correctly portray the refurbished Mk. IIs (not yet Mk. IIBs) as they raced at Daytona in 1967. The 1967 Mk. IIs have a flatter, smoother rear deck and the Shelby cars lack the previous Mk. II's iconic twin rear brake scoops (they remain on the Holman-Moody prepared cars):

Posted Image  

By the way, did you know that this same car, upgraded to Mk.lIB specs. DNF'd at Le Mans driven by Ronnie Bucknum and Paul Hawkins wearing #57 and then was entered by Ford France as the #1 in the 1967 non-championship 12 Hours of Reims - and Jo Schlesser/Guy Ligier won?

Posted Image

Edited by Jersey_Devil, 03 September 2020 - 10:17 AM.

- Red

#740 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4941 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:59 PM

There has been no model (that I know of) of the MKIIB, which is interesting - and disappointing.
I battled hard with a seller in France for a GMP Dan Gurney Lola T70 CanAm.
I made an offer which he agreed to, and then tried to backtrack.
I wanted a properly painted Dan model to go with my otherwise decent AAR 'Cuda which is a metallic blue - and is wrong.
I would dearly like a new fully opening Ford MKIV Le Mans winner - the Shelby (origin unknown) is rather poor (and an Exoto is out of my reach).
As for Mark Donohue, I have another GMP T70 - his Sunoco car, and a Minichamps 917/30.
Those of us motor racing fans outside the US are not all uncouth and ignorant of great drivers, whichever country they come form!  :yahoo:

Edited by slartibartfast229, 18 August 2020 - 04:00 PM.

#741 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12538 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:53 PM

Well,Red, don't know what to add that hasn't already been said. This is yet another quite astonishing update and a bloody good read. It's almost a small book in itself. This is top quality from the History to the models and photos,i can't praise it highly enough,top guy and full respect Bro. :10: :rock: :agreed: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :coolpics: :danke:

#742 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4421 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 05:13 PM

Thank you, Darren. This one took me some time to complete because there are gaps in the details of some of the Mk. IV's development. I just ordered the Preston Lerner book, "Ford GT: How Ford Silenced the Critics, Humbled Ferrari and Conquered Le Mans" which hopefully will provide some more details. It's also interesting how few detailed historical photos there are of the Mk. IIBs, which are on my list of cars I would love to see in 1/18th.

One of the biggest problems is getting photos I don't have to pay for. It's annoying as hell to copy this whole post into DX and then add the photos only to get the warning message when I save it that "this extension is not permitted" about some photo that is copy-protected like a DVD - only I can't tell which one(s) so I have to remove them one-at-a-time to see if each is the offending file :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:!

slarti - which Gurney Lola were you haggling for? The Bardahl Special #30 or the #36 Riverside pole sitter? Love the #30 but the #36 is completely inaccurate like a number of GMP's Lola T70s.

I appreciate and am delighted they were able to get some mileage out of that mold, but the T70 Mk. 2 was not the car Gurney drove in 1967 - that was the visibly very different Mk. 3B that only he, John Surtees and Mark Donohue had and drove that year. GMP correctly modeled the differences in the several versions that Donohue drove in 1966-67 (they didn't release his Mk. 3B) but for Gurney's #36 Mk. 3B and Parnelli Jones' #21 Mk. 3, they just repainted the Mk. 2s (despite having a pic of the very different-looking 1:1 prominently displayed in Jones' model box!

Gurney's 1966 Bridgehampton Can-Am winner, a Mk. 2 with headlights (not used, obviously) and two air intake holes in the front :

Posted Image

GMP's excellent version:
Posted Image

On the left, Gurney's 1967 Mk. 3B on pole for Riverside Can-Am - no headlights, smooth, hole-free front, more prominently-flared fenders; on the right, GMP's rendering:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Nope! I refused to buy the #36 until I found it for well below retail. The same with the Parnelli Jones car.

And I do know that some American drivers have achieved a certain standing among European fans. But not many and its understandable since most have limited their ventures into European racing series, as with drivers from many countries who have made stellar livings competing in national series. No complaint intended!.

Edited by Jersey_Devil, 03 September 2020 - 10:20 AM.

- Red

#743 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4941 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:45 AM

I went with the #36 because it's the only one I was able to get.
If a more accurate model was released I would consider it - but it would probably be sealed resin and very expensive.
So I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.
I bought a Shelby model of the Ford MKIV for the same reasons as above.
BTW - did you notice the 'beak' on the upper part of the nose intake on the Bridgehampton winner?

#744 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12538 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 07:06 AM

The knowledge you guys have is breathtaking. :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :yahoo: :occasion14:

#745 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4421 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 07:52 AM

Darren, I take my hobbies very seriously (we need a "goofy" emoji on here!). When you enjoy auto racing and model collecting, it's just following your nose and the internet is an amazing tool for finding information - if you know how to vary your search parameters (and are prepared to look at a LOT of pics and articles).

OMG, slarti - you must have amazing eyesight - I have looked at pics of the #30 Bardahl Special literally for decades and never noticed that! Most historical photos are just not clear enough to see that but I broke my rule and checked some modern Vintage Car pics of the Lola and it's clear to see:

Posted Image

Was Gurney trying to make a Loleagle :giggle: ?

I did find this historical pic from 1966 of Gurney in the #30 next to John Surtees' factory Mk. 2 for a clear comparison between the two. You can barely make out the "beak" on Gurney's Mk. 2 but there's no such protrusion on Surtees' car:

Posted Image

Obviously, GMP either missed that or, more likely, just didn't want to go to the trouble and expense of modifying their standard Lola T-70 Mk. 2 mold for a hardly noticeable feature.

Edited by Jersey_Devil, 19 August 2020 - 08:39 AM.

- Red

#746 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4941 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 09:14 AM

This might help (grabbed from the 'net).
Posted Image

#747 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4941 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:23 AM

Let us know your opinion on the book, it sounds interesting.
I have several books with photos by Dave Friedman, and all are a great source of detailed information.

#748 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2072 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:59 AM

Awesome story, Red!! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
I can hardly imagine how much time you had to invest for research, collecting all these great historical pictures and writing! :omg:
Thanks for sharing!!! :rock:

I definitely missed your inspiring contributions here and it is really good to see that you are back again!

And now I will need to get my own GT book out of the shelf and do some further reading... :nice:

#749 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4421 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 12:22 PM

slarti - Thanks - I already used that pic; maybe you added it while I was re-editing my post (more copy-protect issues!). I'll definitely report on the book - it comes highly recommended. And I am a long-time Friedman fan and have several of his books :10:.

Thank you, Dirk, you are too kind. Yes, I have had a significant gap in my output here; returning to work, though essential and most welcome, has reduced my personal time substantially. Plus I was determined to start to apply some form of organization to my model/storage room which previously looked like this:

Posted Image

Listening to suggestions from fellow DX'ers, I removed all my models from their shipping boxes and stacked them up accordingly. So now I have a six-foot pile of emptied and collapsed cardboard shipping boxes that will have to be dealt with, as well as about fifteen of the green 30-gallon trash bags full of bubble wrap, packing peanuts, styrofoam packing materials (not model manufacturers' foam shells), etc. and already discarded two of those bags filled with cut-up boxes for recycling. The room still looks like a warehouse (boxes of books, DVDs, video tapes - VHS AND Super-Beta! - etc.), and I put in about 20 hours of sweating doing this but at least I can get to my models more easily!

So keep an eye out for more posts of photos and histories :nice:....

Edited by Jersey_Devil, 03 September 2020 - 10:23 AM.

- Red

#750 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12538 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 01:55 PM

That looks like my storage room,should have copy righted it LOL. :giggle: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :occasion14:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.