Highway 61 1/18 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 - Highway 61 | Diecast Promotions - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Highway 61 1/18 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_92camarodude_*

Guest_92camarodude_*

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:43 PM

Hey Guy's i just got a Highway 61 1/18 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429. And the window moves. are they that way?

Attached Files

Edited by Diecast247, 01 November 2008 - 09:40 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 Guest_jwrAMC_*

Guest_jwrAMC_*

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

"Move" how?

#3 OFFLINE   JJZ109er

JJZ109er

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2415 posts
  • Interests:1/18 diecast Ferrari Mustang Bugatti Audi BMW AM Porsche Ford GT40 Chaparral. History/World Affairs. Sci-Fi. Airshows, Auto Racing(IMSA, LM, ALMS, Indycar, F1)
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart-Maisto-Kyosho-Exoto-Mattel
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:01 AM

I received the black '70 429 last week.  The windows swivel out like a vent window.  They pivot on the clear plastic stub above and below the chrome trim.  I don't know if they're supposed to do that or they're just poorly fitted. There's a space all the way around the window where it should be flush with the body.  By the way, did your model come with some sort of tool? I haven't unpackaged mine yet because I have no place to display it.  There's some kind of a tool under the plastic down belhind the car.

Edited by JJZ109er, 02 November 2008 - 12:02 AM.

"It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you." - BATMAN BEGINS

#4 Guest_92camarodude_*

Guest_92camarodude_*

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:57 AM

JJZ109er, on Nov 2 2008, 01:01 AM, said:

I received the black '70 429 last week.  The windows swivel out like a vent window.  They pivot on the clear plastic stub above and below the chrome trim.  I don't know if they're supposed to do that or they're just poorly fitted. There's a space all the way around the window where it should be flush with the body.  By the way, did your model come with some sort of tool? I haven't unpackaged mine yet because I have no place to display it.  There's some kind of a tool under the plastic down belhind the car.
Yep And i broke it LOL. Um tool i will look.

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   Autobellissima

Autobellissima

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 546 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Anything
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:51 AM

i guess if both side panels move, then it's a feature of the car, i wont be surprised if this is so, highway 61 cars are full of goodies other brands do not have!

#6 Guest_jwrAMC_*

Guest_jwrAMC_*

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:33 AM

Since Mustangs didn't have flip-out/swivel quarter windows, it's not really a feature...just an odd way of adding the glas. Perhaps they neglected to design the car in a way that accepted the glass in a conventional way, and added the glass later anyway they could.

The tool is included with all the Hwy61 cars I've received. It's to help you open doors, hood and trunks, move sunvisors and seatback, etc...all without touching the car with your fingers. Think of it as a plastic prybar/crowbar. They also include a polishing cloth to rub away any finger prints you do make. Nice touches added to already very nice models.

#7 OFFLINE   JJZ109er

JJZ109er

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2415 posts
  • Interests:1/18 diecast Ferrari Mustang Bugatti Audi BMW AM Porsche Ford GT40 Chaparral. History/World Affairs. Sci-Fi. Airshows, Auto Racing(IMSA, LM, ALMS, Indycar, F1)

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

jwrAMC, on Nov 2 2008, 08:33 AM, said:

Since Mustangs didn't have flip-out/swivel quarter windows, it's not really a feature...just an odd way of adding the glas. Perhaps they neglected to design the car in a way that accepted the glass in a conventional way, and added the glass later anyway they could.

The tool is included with all the Hwy61 cars I've received. It's to help you open doors, hood and trunks, move sunvisors and seatback, etc...all without touching the car with your fingers. Think of it as a plastic prybar/crowbar. They also include a polishing cloth to rub away any finger prints you do make. Nice touches added to already very nice models.

You're probably right about the windows. I doubt if they're vents and I doubt if they even roll down. There are no handles on the backseat panels.
Wonder if any of the members owns the full size one and could tell us.
"It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you." - BATMAN BEGINS

#8 OFFLINE   JJZ109er

JJZ109er

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2415 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

92camarodude, on Nov 2 2008, 02:57 AM, said:

JJZ109er, on Nov 2 2008, 01:01 AM, said:

Yep And i broke it LOL. Um tool i will look.

Maybe what jwrAMC has said is right.  Maybe the windows were an after thought and not very well 'engineered'  My 429 came with Firestone tires and aluminum racing wheels.  I bought a set of spoke wheels like the ones on your 429 and I'm going to swap out the racing wheels. The spoked wheels look much nicer.  

Thanks

#9 Guest_jwrAMC_*

Guest_jwrAMC_*

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

Let me know how that wheel swap goes. I have a similar project coming up. :)

#10 Guest_CustomDiecast_*

Guest_CustomDiecast_*

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:29 PM

Guys......... they did offer pop out windows on that model and those are supposed to flipout.... there is no QC issue with them at all. If you move them back and forth too much or try to force them in you can break the tab that allows them to flip out properly as they were made for.

Just an FYI

#11 Guest_jwrAMC_*

Guest_jwrAMC_*

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

News to me! :giggle Can't find a photo of the windows open online anywhere. Grr.

#12 OFFLINE   JJZ109er

JJZ109er

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2415 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

CustomDiecast, on Nov 2 2008, 04:29 PM, said:

Guys......... they did offer pop out windows on that model and those are supposed to flipout.... there is no QC issue with them at all. If you move them back and forth too much or try to force them in you can break the tab that allows them to flip out properly as they were made for.

Just an FYI

Thanks for clearing that up.  I had a feeling they might be standard, the parts were just too easy to flip out to be a badly fitting part.

#13 OFFLINE   JJZ109er

JJZ109er

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2415 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:40 PM

jwrAMC, on Nov 2 2008, 01:47 PM, said:

Let me know how that wheel swap goes. I have a similar project coming up. :)

Will do, this will be a first for me.

#14 Guest_CustomDiecast_*

Guest_CustomDiecast_*

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:57 PM

jwrAMC, on Nov 2 2008, 04:05 PM, said:

News to me! :giggle Can't find a photo of the windows open online anywhere. Grr.

Well first off I owned a 70 Boss 302 for a short 9 months and it had flip outs, though that was 30 years ago so.= I also just referenced my Sensational Cars of the 70's book and the Blue 70 Boss 429 pictured clearly hows the flip out latch on the drivers side window. At this point I would bet my life on it...... LOL. :happy

Also found this on Google:

Paddock Parts

69-70 MUSTANG FASTBACK FLIP OUT QUARTER WINDOW, RH
69-70 MUSTANG FASTBACK FLIP OUT QUARTER WINDOW, RH. THIS IS THE QUARTER WINDOW BEHIND THE DOOR GLASS. INCLUDES CLEAR GLASS, PIVOT ASSEMBLY AND RELEASE HANDLE.

Product Number 3641FJ

Price:$119.95
Quantity:

Attached Files

#15 Guest_jwrAMC_*

Guest_jwrAMC_*

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:23 PM

Above and beyond, thanks!  :cheers

#16 Guest_JBL_*

Guest_JBL_*

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:05 AM

That also explains why there is no rear window crank handle, as they flip out. Nice feature. I'm finding this a good site for information.

#17 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10816 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that is has value for my money
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:26 AM

A bit of useless trivia. The early '69 fastbacks did have a "fixed" quarter window. This window did not seal too well (I think that the seal was around the window and not the car body). Ford engineers quickly redesigned the window to the pivot window and from there on they became as what you see above. The service parts also became the pivot windows. There may had even been a recall to retrofit them.

Nowadays, it is rare to see a car with them and the windows bring a premium on ebay from those that want to restore a car as it left the factory in early '69.

I don't know if all three Mustang factories used them or just one or two.

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.