• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 995 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:37 AM

How to tint your windows

I used a Maisto Porsche Cayenne and 35% tint for this write-up.

Posted Image

Tinting windows on models is difficult to do because of the size of the windows.  Because the are so small it is very difficult to have them come out perfect, but it still drastically improves the look of a model.

You will need:

Posted Image
-Windows
-Window tint
-Window tint solution
-Squeegee
-Razor blade
-Sharpie
-Scissors (not pictured)
-No lint towel (not pictured)
-Tape (not pictured)

The first thing that you need to do is find out which side of the tint is the adhesive side.  To do that you need to take 2 pieces of tape and stick them in a corner of the tint with the sticky sides facing each other.

Posted Image

Then slowly pull them apart.  You can see that there is a clear layer and the tinted layer.

Posted Image

You want the clear layer facing you when you go to cut the pieces because the adhesive side of the film has to stick to the inside of the window.  I like to leave the tape on the clear side and peel it off of the tint.  I think it is easier to remember which side is which.  After you do this for a while, you can start to tell which side is which without even doing this step.

You are really supposed to use Scotch tape, but I was out of it.  Painter's tape and masking tape will work too.  You just want to use something that is easy to peel off.

The next thing that you need to do is remove the windows from the car and trace them with a sharpie and then cut them out with scissors.  It doesn't have to be anywhere close to perfect, it's just so that it is easier to trim the piece to the exact size that you will need.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now you need to trim the tint to the size of each window.  

Posted Image

For windows like on the Cayenne, you have to do the sides in two pieces.  Make sure you trim around those attachment tabs or it will leave a bubble going around the edge.
Posted Image

As you can see, it's not very neat.  After I put the film on the windows and start to squeegee it down, I take the razor and trim it to the exact size.

Now your almost ready to put the tint on.  But first you need to clean both sides of the windows with the tint solution and the no lint cloth.

Posted Image

It's important to make sure the window is clean because anything dirt left on it will look like a bubble in the tint.

After the windows are clean, spray the inside of the window with the tint solution.

Posted Image

Now your ready to put the tint onto the windows. To do this, take two pieces of tape and stick them in a corner of the piece your are working with, with the sticky sides facing each other.  Then slowly pull them apart.  As you are doing this, spray the adhesive side of the film with the tint solution.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now stick the adhesive side of the film to the inside of the window.

Posted Image

After you have the film in place, spray it with more tint solution.  This makes it easier for the squeegee to slide across it.

Squeegee the excess solution out and get rid of the bubbles and that's it!

Posted Image

During this step, trim any excess tint with the razor.  I like to do it by extending the blade and sliding it over the rim of the window.  Just be careful not to cut yourself.

Another tip is if you are having trouble with a bubble around one of the tabs on the window and trimming it doesn't help, take the razor and make a small incision in the middle of the bubble, then squeegee over it.  This will get rid of the bubble, but it will leave a little mark, so make it as small as possible.  It is better to make the incision too small and have to go and extend it than to make it too big.

I like to use the black rubber squeegee to anchor the film down, and then go over it with the yellow one.  The yellow one is a lot harder and gets the bubbles out better.

Repeat for each window

Posted Image

Put the windows back on your car and enjoy the results!

Posted Image
Posted Image

If you are having a lot of trouble with the rear window, either tint it in strips or tint the outside of it.

A tint that works very good on models is one of those pre-cut tail light kits that you can buy on E-bay.  That film is breathable, so any water bubbles will evaporate in a couple days.

Edited by Jeep675, 25 March 2009 - 08:35 AM.

Posted Image
2005 Mazda RX-8 GT 6 speed

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   B1N9S

B1N9S

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 933 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I needed to limo tint a cracked window and this works a treat !

Had to tint the outside of the rear window to hide a crack and only thing I will add to this fantastic tutorial, is to aid getting rid of creases/bubbles at the edges, rather than cut them with a razor, just take a heatgun and gently heat up the film, it has the effect of making it shrink, then while it is still warm, sgueegee out the bubbles.

I just bought some real car window film as a sample for about £1.99.  Got enough for loads of cars.

There are still some tiny little bubbles, but much better than a cracked window !!!!

Edited by B1N9S, 13 April 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   E Rod_017

E Rod_017

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4669 posts
  • Interests:Cars cars and more cars
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that has great detail for low prices
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

If you want to try something a little easier and less expensive try this based on reviews it works great
http://www.policecar....com/index.html
TO SEE MY COLLECTION CLICK RIGHT HERE!!!
THANKS FOR THE 20,000 VIEWS!!!!!

#4 OFFLINE   rpe

rpe

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1504 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Jet ski, Model car
  • Favorite Brands:DG,MR,BBR,FA,MG
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

nice tutor!i'm going to try it soon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.