Highway '61 - Highway 61 | Diecast Promotions - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Highway '61

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bigdeano

bigdeano

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1266 posts
  • Interests:Supercars, Group B, Group C, Group 5, FIA GT1/GT2/GT3, JGTC, Warbids, and Reno Air Racing.
  • Favorite Brands:HPI, HobbyMaster, Carrera
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:33 AM

Hi guys. I've been looking at 1:18 muscle cars lately and I've come accross the Highway '61 brand quite a lot. What is this brand like in terms of quality and value for money, and more specifically what are their 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda's and 1970 Dodge Challengers like?
Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10816 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that is has value for my money
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:11 AM

bigdeano, on 08 September 2009 - 07:33 AM, said:

Hi guys. I've been looking at 1:18 muscle cars lately and I've come accross the Highway '61 brand quite a lot. What is this brand like in terms of quality and value for money, and more specifically what are their 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda's and 1970 Dodge Challengers like?

They are very nice. I would say on par or a little better than AUTOart in general. On certain releases, the QC is hit-n-miss, specially the BMF around the window trim.

I have a couple of the Challys and Cuda and one was sent back 3 times, while another was perfect.

It seems to me that the short production runs have the issues and the open run models have better QC.

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

#3 OFFLINE   Superleggera

Superleggera

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3862 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, beer, Eric Clapton and fine leather jackets.
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

In terms of value for money, they're excellent. I've got a '70 Challenger and it's easily as good as the Autoarts in my collection, but at less than half the price. Also, I think the Challenger has more features than any other model in my collection, like the rotating shaft, the hood pins, movable seats and sun visors. Don't hesitate to get one.
My Profile
Posted Image
Jamie "The Soupy Leg"
Cleanliness is next to Inverness.

#4 OFFLINE   Ivaylo

Ivaylo

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Diecast cars, photography, graphic design
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, AUTOart, GMP, Norev
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

The brand in general has a good quality (Kyosho/AutoART like) and with very good value for money. The only major problem is the poor quality control from the factory, but I hope it's fixed for the newer releases.

Wow, you are fast.  :icon_scratch:

Edited by Ivaylo, 08 September 2009 - 08:12 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   mox

mox

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6539 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:38 AM

I don't have one of their E-bodies, but I have several other H61s, and I'll echo what the others have said...incredible value for your money, but they do have occasional lapses in quality control. The one time I had to deal with their customer service (a Camaro was missing a badge) they were good to deal with, sent me the part.
John

Driving an automatic and thinking you're a skilled driver is like playing Guitar Hero and thinking you can play guitar.

Serious collectors don't buy budget models? Hahahaha...that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard

#6 OFFLINE   el docum

el docum

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1419 posts
  • Favorite Brands:All nice models

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

I'm very happy of my die cast from HW61, for Challenger and Cuda it's the best choice if you want quality, it's also possible to buy at good price if you take your time and dont buy now the news releases.

#7 OFFLINE   Diecast24/7

Diecast24/7

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6888 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exact Detail

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

Sounds like we're all in agreement on Highway 61; superb value and eaily comparable to most any AUTOart model. I collect many of the Highway 61 Challenger, 'Cuda and Dart and several of the Camaros. I haven't had any QC issues and as a retailer of every release, can say that there is virtually zero returns. It's tough to go wrong with this brand! Posted Image
Justin

#8 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts
  • Favorite Brands:0

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

I agree, HWY61 is awesome in my book. On the 70 challenger, even the gas door opens. Way cool.

#9 OFFLINE   Superleggera

Superleggera

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3862 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

corrupted, on 08 September 2009 - 12:29 PM, said:

I agree, HWY61 is awesome in my book. On the 70 challenger, even the gas door opens. Way cool.
I had to check it on mine, but you're absolutely right, it does! I had no idea about that before! Another reason why Highway 61 are great.  :icon_scratch:
My Profile
Posted Image
Jamie "The Soupy Leg"

#10 OFFLINE   Gavin

Gavin

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 9008 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

I have 5 Highway 61 models, with one incoming. The '70 Challenger & Cuda models are excellent, especially at the prices you can find them.

My favorite is the '70 AAR Cuda...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The '66 GTO & '70 Mustangs are also excellent. Really looking forward to getting one of the '69 Camaros as well.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   bigdeano

bigdeano

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1266 posts
  • Interests:Supercars, Group B, Group C, Group 5, FIA GT1/GT2/GT3, JGTC, Warbids, and Reno Air Racing.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:56 PM

Thanks a lot for that guys  https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif . I've had a look at some online stores and there's 2 Highway 61's that have to choose between. One is a metallic bronze 1971 Hemi Cuda for about US$82.00 without shipping from the US, and the other is a "Toy Fair 2007" red 1970 Dodge Challenger that I can get from a fairly local hobby shop for about US$112. Which one do you guys think I should get?
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   el docum

el docum

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1419 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

It's a matter of taste, take you time, you can find nice Challenger and Cuda from HW61 for around $30.00 - $40.00.

The 1971 Bronze Cuda whit the white billboard is nice, but $82.00 is a lot of money.

#13 OFFLINE   bigdeano

bigdeano

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1266 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:03 PM

Could you tell me where I could get a Highway '61 Cuda or Chally for $40.00?
Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   el docum

el docum

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1419 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

Could you tell me where I could get a Highway '61 Cuda or Chally for $40.00?

Check on Ebay everyday, also in your local sites of advertising, many peoples in your area got die cast to sell, and it's not easy, by patient and you will find deals.

:icon_scratch:

#15 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts
  • Favorite Brands:0

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:24 PM

Superleggera, on 08 September 2009 - 12:35 PM, said:

I had to check it on mine, but you're absolutely right, it does! I had no idea about that before! Another reason why Highway 61 are great.  :icon_scratch:
Don't forget the glovebox opens too.

I have some if you want. I could probably sell you 2 for $100.00 if you'd like. That's better than $112.00 for one. I bought 6 at one time from someone I know and I was going to build all of them and then sell them on ebay after I built them.

Edited by corrupted, 08 September 2009 - 07:26 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4910 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

I have about 40-50 Hwy 61 cars.  Most are E-body Mopars.  They are my favorite brand.  There is no way I'd spend $112 for a Hwy 61 E-body.  They are not quite as good as the GMP Mopars, but are much better than the regular edition ERTLs.  On par with the ERTL Authentics releases.  A good price for older Hwy 61 E-bodies is in the $40-50 dollar range and newer releases in the $50-70 dollar range.  

Some of the other details you get besides what has already been mentioned are: valve stems on rims, brake & fuel lines, headliners, realistic hinges (both doors & hood), and bumper jacks with instructions in the trunk.

I'll echo the QC problems previously experssed.  When ever your buy one, make sure you look it over good at the register or when it lands on your doorstep.  

You can find deals on eBay quite often.  Your best bet it to buy from a brick & mortar or online retailer.  That way, you can return it if you get one with a blemish.  Check out the retailers listed at the top of the page.

Sean

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ

Posted Image

Click HERE for my 1:1 Plymouth 'Cuda restoration project

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

#17 OFFLINE   mox

mox

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6539 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:54 PM

And don't forget retractable antennas.
John

Driving an automatic and thinking you're a skilled driver is like playing Guitar Hero and thinking you can play guitar.

Serious collectors don't buy budget models? Hahahaha...that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard

#18 OFFLINE   bigdeano

bigdeano

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1266 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:25 AM

Ducati-900SS, on 08 September 2009 - 08:57 PM, said:

I have about 40-50 Hwy 61 cars.  Most are E-body Mopars.  They are my favorite brand.  There is no way I'd spend $112 for a Hwy 61 E-body.  They are not quite as good as the GMP Mopars, but are much better than the regular edition ERTLs.  On par with the ERTL Authentics releases.  A good price for older Hwy 61 E-bodies is in the $40-50 dollar range and newer releases in the $50-70 dollar range.  

Uh, you might have to elaborate man. I don't have a clue what "E-body", "Mopar", etc mean.   :icon_scratch:

@ Corrupted: what do you have? Cudas, Chally's, or both and in what colours?
Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   mox

mox

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6539 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:59 AM

Mopar refers to Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth. The E-bodies are the '70-'74 Barracudas and Challengers. Unlike the other Pony Cars of that era, which were based on compact cars, the E-bodies were based on shortened intermediate chassis, hence their greater width when compared to Camaros, Mustangs etc.
John

#20 OFFLINE   bigdeano

bigdeano

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1266 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:27 AM

Aah, now it all makes sense. Thanks man
Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   Superleggera

Superleggera

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3862 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:09 AM

corrupted, on 08 September 2009 - 07:24 PM, said:

Don't forget the glovebox opens too.
*checks again* My God, you're right! That's two great features I never even knew it had!
My Profile
Posted Image
Jamie "The Soupy Leg"

#22 OFFLINE   118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:1/18 cars
    1/72 military jets
    1/400 airlines
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:25 AM

should be compareable to GPM
for some reasons, maybe not many ppl are familiar with the brand, it cannot sell at $70 or greater
but max out at the normal $35-40 range

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by 118, 11 September 2009 - 07:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.