Interesting problem with postage... - FedEx | UPS | USPS - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Interesting problem with postage...

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Superleggera

Superleggera

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3862 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, beer, Eric Clapton and fine leather jackets.
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

So around a month ago I won one of my holy grails on eBay, an Exoto GT40 MKII. Needless to say I was happy to have won it for about £50 less than the others on there, but I still paid a little under £100 for it. So, a couple of days later I get a friendly e-mail saying it's been posted and I reply saying that I'll let him know when it gets here. A week passes and I'm wondering where the model is. I get another e-mail from the seller asking if it's arrived yet and I tell him no and again, I'll let him know when it does. A few days later I get an e-mail from him saying that according to the tracking information, it was delivered several days before hand. I check the tracking info for myself and indeed it has been delivered. To an address I'm no longer living at.

Now, I'd clearly specified on the delivery details to deliver it here instead but this guy presumably looked at my "primary address" on eBay (which I hadn't had a chance to change yet) and sent it there. So I get in touch with the porters at my old place and they say "not to worry, all mail that is received for people no longer living there is returned to sender." That's great I figure, so I send the seller an e-mail saying that it's coming back his way and I'll happily front the cost for him to post it back to me here. I get a reply saying "that's fine, but I may have forgotten to put a return address on it."   :occasion14:  

This is where the problems really start. I call the mail depot where I used to live and ask what they do with post that's 'returned to sender' without a 'sender' apparently they're all sent to a warehouse in Belfast (yes, in Northern Ireland). I'm given an address but there's no phone number or e-mail address for them. I end up sitting on the phone with numerous Post Office departments, getting nowhere. In my haste I ended up calling the Post Office branches in Belfast to see if any of them had any contact information for this place in Belfast. Not having any luck, I send them a letter describing the situation, contents, where to send it to e.t.c. and about a week later I got a reply letter telling me nothing that I didn't already know. It seems the seller tried the same and got a similar reply.

Really all that's left for me to ask is... any ideas?
My Profile
Posted Image
Jamie "The Soupy Leg"
Cleanliness is next to Inverness.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4910 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

Wow Jaime, that's a tough one.  Unless you can get an answer from the postal warehouse, I think you're outta luck.  Was there any kind of tracking info that could be used to track it down?  I also find it hard to believe that the post office would let a package enter the postal system without a return address.  Especially if he walked into the post office to send it.

Good luck!!!

Sean

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ

Posted Image

Click HERE for my 1:1 Plymouth 'Cuda restoration project

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

#3 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

Oh dear Superleggera, this is not a good situation.

There certainly USED to be a direct number to the Belfast sorting office, though you have to hang on for ages to get an answer- and this is how i know....
In December 2007 i sent my son a birthday card with £20 inside, however i accidentally put his next door neighbours address.  
Unfortunatley they were not on good terms so rather than put it through his letterbox, the neighbour put it backk in the post box marked 'not known at this address'.
Naturally there was no 'return' address....  :wavetowel2:
When my son sarcastically 'thanked me' for his birthday card the mistake was outed, and my son confronted his neighbour who (being a tw*t) told him that he didn't know anything about it...

Consequently (i admit more to prove to my son that i hadn't merely forgotten than for the money) I followed a similar line of enquiry with my local post office and was directed to the 'Belfast' office - where i was advised all 'unmarked' mail is opened and checked for any 'identifying features'.
After several attempt to get through i was finally directed to someone who checked the details and CONFIRMED that the errant card HAD been returned - and even confirmed that the neigbour had written 'not known at this address' on it - but then advised me that it was still 'awaiting processing' - however as it was the 'Christmas rush' i was advised to phone back again in early FEBRUARY as that is when they reckoned they would be through the bulk of the mail...

I expressed a concern that as it was cash, perhaps it was likely to 'go AWOL' but they assured me that all mail was opened in the presence of 2 officers and that there would be no problem.....

Guess what.... I phoned back in February and (after several attempts) got through to someone who double checked and double checked....but could find no record. http://www.diecastxc...tyle_emoticons/default/dizzy.gif   I wrote a letter complaining but never had a reply... :twocents:

All I can say Jamie is ask your local branch for the number again and INSIST that you know one exists...or used to.....
When you phone MAKE SURE you get names of people you speak to and if they do say they've received the returned parcel then ask for some sort of REFERENCE NUMBER.
Apparently once they have opened the mail if they can figure out an address they will either forward it (I think charging the recipient for the additional postage) or if not they retain it for a period (i cant rememeber whether this is 6 weeks or 3 months) awaiting an enquiry from a concerned sender.
YOu will probably have to phone a few times so record all details of persons you speak to and the times etc.
My advice is DONT DELAY - after my experience i am extremely suspicious of the staff/ whole process - and i dread to think of your GT40 going the same way as my two tenners!!!

Good luck though, and let us know how you get on...  :occasion14:

Edited by mairandeddy, 18 August 2010 - 07:51 PM.

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

You've started me on a crusade now Jamie   :wavetowel2: - just found this link that you might find useful...

http://forums.ebay.c...e=1282182882207

Read the VERY last post at the bottom they've listed a number 08457 740 740...and tips on what to do...

I also found this other link that says that for 'special delivery letters or parcels they may be sent to Portsmouth...

http://www.royalmail...&mediaId=500140

Good luck again...  :occasion14:

Edited by mairandeddy, 18 August 2010 - 08:05 PM.

Fast Eddy's

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Monster

Monster

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1341 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:26 AM

Sorry to hear about this mate, it is yet another case of people and their 'not my problem' attitude. I hope a miracle will happen for you.

#6 OFFLINE   Markus

Markus

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1235 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOART!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

I Have no Helpful info Jamie, but i'm not too far from Belfast, so if you need me to do anything for you just let me know.
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Diecast24/7

Diecast24/7

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6888 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exact Detail

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

So sorry about this, mate!  Posted Image  At least you have Markus on your side and maybe he can get some action if he goes in person?
Justin

#8 OFFLINE   Joe33

Joe33

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1023 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

View PostDucati-900SS, on 18 August 2010 - 06:22 PM, said:

Wow Jaime, that's a tough one.  Unless you can get an answer from the postal warehouse, I think you're outta luck.  Was there any kind of tracking info that could be used to track it down?  I also find it hard to believe that the post office would let a package enter the postal system without a return address.  Especially if he walked into the post office to send it.

Good luck!!!

Sean

That is true, whenever I send anything using the tracking service, the post office lady would check the parcel for my return address.  I can only suggest you keep contacting the Post Office until you get an answer.  Maybe contact their complaints department if they have one or writing to the Director of the Post Office.

Good Luck for a positive result.

:occasion14:
Joe

#9 OFFLINE   Super Snail

Super Snail

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2174 posts
  • Interests:Sportscars, Prototype racers, Motorcycles, Cobra's, GT40's, Porsche
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

I can belive that the model could be sent with out a return adress but I can not belive that the post office would accept a parcel to be returned with out the address; I mean just what are they expected to do with out a return address. Some things not rite here. Was the model insured? because you then have to have a return address also the same with a parcel that got a tracking number on it they are not accepted with out a return address. I'm sorry to say this but some one some were is pulling a fast one.
Steve

#10 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:58 AM

View PostSuper Snail, on 23 August 2010 - 10:03 PM, said:

I can belive that the model could be sent with out a return adress but I can not belive that the post office would accept a parcel to be returned with out the address; I mean just what are they expected to do with out a return address. Some things not rite here. Was the model insured? because you then have to have a return address also the same with a parcel that got a tracking number on it they are not accepted with out a return address. I'm sorry to say this but some one some were is pulling a fast one.

All the mail without return address is sent to Belfast.  As i said in my earlier post, the idea is that it is then opened with a witness to check for any identifying features e.g. invoice or letter, or if not it is held for a period within which they would expect the person expecting the parcel to contact them.  My understanding is that they would then ask for details of the contents and confirmation of the correct address etc...

Of course I M O my £20 in untraceable notes was a bit too tempting for someone...  :hope:

Fast Eddy's

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   VeeDub Matt

VeeDub Matt

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6036 posts
  • Interests:Theology, motoring, and art
  • Favorite Brands:Spark, HPI, Bizarre, and Premium ClassiXXs

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:27 PM

Update that eBay address of yours ASAP! This is truly tragic, friend.   :icon_scratch:

Apparently, Belfast is where mail goes to die.  :mad2:

It sounds like you have similar postal problems to those of us in the US. Please keep us informed - this is turning into an epic. It would be awesome if you manage to locate this model!  :gaah:

Edited by Biblitect, 12 September 2010 - 11:29 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.