Carbon Fiber and Flocking... - Aftermarket parts & Materials - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums - Page 2

Carbon Fiber and Flocking...

34 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Alpha91

Alpha91

I want a Lexus LFA!!!!

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Diecast cars, Soccer, PC Gaming, Shoes
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Hotwheels Elite
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Wow, thanks so much!  I'll probably be doing it on the hood and boot lid of my Kyo GT-R.  Is there anything you have to do different on a painted metal surface?

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

View PostAlpha91, on 09 April 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

Wow, thanks so much!  I'll probably be doing it on the hood and boot lid of my Kyo GT-R.  Is there anything you have to do different on a painted metal surface?

Just be careful using a blow dryer. It heats up the cerface pretty quick and you should keep this in mind. If you go over resin parts it can completely get them out of shape. On a painted metal you can cook the paint underneath which will ruin the whole part. You can also skip the hairdryer thing all together. the decal will still dry and eventually conform to the surface, but it will take much much longer, you have far greater chances of air trapped and it will not stick as strong. Just like most other things of this nature, it is all about experience. don't expect to have perfect results from the first time. Be patient and with time and experience, things will come together.

#28 OFFLINE   Alpha91

Alpha91

I want a Lexus LFA!!!!

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

View Postmrm, on 09 April 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

View PostAlpha91, on 09 April 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

Just be careful using a blow dryer. It heats up the cerface pretty quick and you should keep this in mind. If you go over resin parts it can completely get them out of shape. On a painted metal you can cook the paint underneath which will ruin the whole part. You can also skip the hairdryer thing all together. the decal will still dry and eventually conform to the surface, but it will take much much longer, you have far greater chances of air trapped and it will not stick as strong. Just like most other things of this nature, it is all about experience. don't expect to have perfect results from the first time. Be patient and with time and experience, things will come together.
Thanks again :)  I think I might start off with the interior on my foundation 599 before I do my GTR.  Also, I'm thinking about getting the CF from Scale Motorsport, but they don't have 1/18 scale.  Should I just get 1/20?

Edited by Alpha91, 09 April 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#29 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

View PostAlpha91, on 09 April 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

Should I just get 1/20?

That is what I use. Good luck and show us some pictures once you have tried it.  :occasion14:

#30 OFFLINE   RossoCorsa

RossoCorsa

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Food, Watches, Aerospace Trivia, Racing Simulators
  • Favorite Brands:BBR, HWE
  • Proud Citizen of: in

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

Just noticed Scale Motorsports has 3 different types of CF decals -
Carbon Fiber Twill Weave Black /Pewter Composite Fiber,
Carbon Fiber Plain Weave Pattern Black/Pewter Composite Fiber ,
Hi-Definition Composite Fiber

Which one do you use, or would you recommend ?

Is it necessary to use different weave patterns for engines, body panels and interiors ?
Collecting diecasts is like eating Pistachios. You can never stop after the 1st one :)

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

#31 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostRossoCorsa, on 10 April 2012 - 04:50 AM, said:

Just noticed Scale Motorsports has 3 different types of CF decals -
Carbon Fiber Twill Weave Black /Pewter Composite Fiber,
Carbon Fiber Plain Weave Pattern Black/Pewter Composite Fiber ,
Hi-Definition Composite Fiber

Which one do you use, or would you recommend ?

Is it necessary to use different weave patterns for engines, body panels and interiors ?

Well, just like with real parts, different parts need different weave. I am just not a fan of the high-def ones. They look OK on smaller parts in 1:24, but for 1:18 I never used them.
About the other two, it is a matter of research which to use. If you are going something like an aftermarket interior part, I guess it is up to you. But if you are trying to replicate something that comes from the factory in real life, then you need use the right one. For example a Pagani Zonda and a Ferrari Enzo use completely different looking carbon in their interior. The zonda being the twill weave and the Enzo the plain weave.

#32 OFFLINE   Alpha91

Alpha91

I want a Lexus LFA!!!!

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Would it be hard to make a V-weave on the hood like this?

Posted Image

#33 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

To me personally it would be actually easier, as it would be done in four pieces. From what i see on the picture, I would use the 1:12 scale twill weave .

#34 OFFLINE   Alpha91

Alpha91

I want a Lexus LFA!!!!

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

OK, I'm all for it if it's easier :)  If I'm seeing it right, I should cut out 4 pieces and make them so that the CF makes a diamond shape.  BTW, for this mod, I'm trying to make my GTR into an AMS Alpha Omega and I'm thinking your 599xx wheels look close to the ones on the 1:1.  I see on your website it says they don't come with tires, so I was wondering which one of your tire sets would best fit them.  Thanks.

Edited by Alpha91, 10 April 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   cerberus128128

cerberus128128

• DX Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 789 posts
  • Favorite Brands:exoto

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

One thing I do when I CF something is use window tint to darken it up just a lil. Also throw in a DUSTING of sliver and even less of gold to crate a some shadows and color before you throw the tint down... But... Thats just me.... I <3 CF
Posted Image

Sig courtsey of Georgewatson

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.