drag wheels and tires - Aftermarket parts & Materials - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

drag wheels and tires

24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts
  • Favorite Brands:0
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

For anyone looking for big rear tires and front runners I am almost finished with my drag tires and making wheels for them. No more buying complete cars just for the wheels and tires. I have 4 different rear tires, and 6 different front runners. They are real rubber. The rears are soft and the fronts are a little harder. I found a way to make the mold so that the backside of the tires are fairly clean. All the other tires I've are really chopped up on the back. That's not that big of a deal because you don't see it, but I just like things to look better. The ones I make are not perfect, but they are an improvement. I made the tires so that I could make wheels that fit them. I have 4 types of wheels. I made 2 different types of prostar wheels with different depths to fit the larger tires. Also have weld superlites in the same way. I've found out now that I have the rims the way I want them I can just about make any wheel style fit these tires. As long as the center will fit into the diameter of the rim it will work. So ther are almost unlimited types of drag wheels that can be made.
Any suggestions for other wheels?

The tires. I've taken the thin Mickey Thompson tires and made them twice as wide. The only way I could get them to work right was to make them look like they were used, and kinda worn. The slicks arethe ones from the 64 gto promod, but I made them a bit wider. These tires are solid so the rims on most cars will not fit these.

The front tires. There are even gasser tires for gasser fans. Moroso tires, hoosier tires, 2 other types of street front runner tires.

There are more, but I'll post more later.

Edited by corrupted, 19 December 2010 - 01:17 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   gooseegg5

gooseegg5

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 405 posts
  • Favorite Brands:GMP

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:01 PM

I saw these on the other forum as well.  Great work as always Bryan!! (or is it Brian, sorry, I can't remember)

#3 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4910 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

Great job on the wheels, they look great!!!  Well done!

Sean

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ

Posted Image

Click HERE for my 1:1 Plymouth 'Cuda restoration project

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

#4 OFFLINE   Nocky

Nocky

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5254 posts
  • Interests:Diecast, models, customized cars
  • Favorite Brands:Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of: nz

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:39 AM

Nice work! The effort has paid off!

cheers

Peter

Nice work! The effort has paid off!

cheers

Peter

Custom Diecast, Just DO IT!
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   diecastcity

diecastcity

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1444 posts
  • Interests:drag racers
  • Favorite Brands:American muscle & jada
  • Proud Citizen of: kw

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:21 AM

oh this is so great,,,mmm maybe for my next project.
I like how real they look , do you think it is possible to make a sand drag tires? especially the rear ones? because i am thinking of building a similar one.
Attached File  DSC02406.jpg   105.67K   11 downloads

#6 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

View Postdiecastcity, on 22 December 2010 - 12:21 AM, said:

I like how real they look , do you think it is possible to make a sand drag tires? especially the rear ones? because i am thinking of building a similar one.

I will definately give it a shot. I just have to find something to start with.

#7 OFFLINE   Inner Sanctum

Inner Sanctum

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Diecast Customizing
  • Favorite Brands:none

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:22 AM

View Postcorrupted, on 22 December 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

View Postdiecastcity, on 22 December 2010 - 12:21 AM, said:

I will definately give it a shot. I just have to find something to start with.
Sand Tires? Reminds me of a couple of Sand Draggers w/paddle tires, I did last year, 1/64 scale.
Posted Image

FROM THE INNER MIND TO THE OUTER LIMITS

#8 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

I have 2 more sets of wheels to fit my tires now. There will be more sets coming soon. I had to make these for someone I'm making a ton of parts for.

#9 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4910 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

Never fail to impress, Brian!!!  Do you chrome them yourself?  The chrome looks great on them.

Posted Image

Sean

Posted Image

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

#10 OFFLINE   [email protected]

[email protected]

• DX Community
  • 36 posts
  • Favorite Brands:GMP Diecast, Action, Autoart

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

Hey brian. those wheels look great. I was wondering about what you use to mold the tires with. is it a soft resin? if so, where do you get the stuff? I'm building a drag radial car for a friend & wanted to cast some tires myself.

#11 OFFLINE   cerberus128128

cerberus128128

• DX Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 789 posts
  • Favorite Brands:exoto

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

hahah that will save you a lot of time any money  :gaah:  i wonder how they will look under the countach?   :wavetowel2:
Posted Image

Sig courtsey of Georgewatson

#12 OFFLINE   [email protected]

[email protected]

• DX Community
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

View Postcerberus128128, on 03 January 2011 - 05:10 PM, said:

hahah that will save you a lot of time any money  Posted Image  i wonder how they will look under the countach?  Posted Image

Something like this?? lol
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:52 PM

View PostDucati-900SS, on 02 January 2011 - 08:56 PM, said:

Never fail to impress, Brian!!!  Do you chrome them yourself?  The chrome looks great on them.

Posted Image

Sean
I can't take credit for the chrome. I actually found these wheels  to start with(1/24 scale). I cut the front ones and ground them down to fit the tires without messing up the chrome. The rears I had to add resin outer rims and inner rims to it to make them fit. I've got it down pretty good now so it isn't too bad to make any rim like this now. I'm stuck using alklad, but I don't have luck with it.

View Post[email protected], on 03 January 2011 - 02:58 PM, said:

Hey brian. those wheels look great. I was wondering about what you use to mold the tires with. is it a soft resin? if so, where do you get the stuff? I'm building a drag radial car for a friend & wanted to cast some tires myself.
I use alumilite for my resin and mold maker. It's pretty uncomplicated to do. The tires are soft resin that you add dye to.

hahah that will save you a lot of time any money   :rolleyes:  i wonder how they will look under the countach?   :wavetowel2:
Hmmm, did we just change dirrections with your car? HAHAHA :gaah:  I'll have to take a picture of that for you,lol.

Edited by corrupted, 03 January 2011 - 05:54 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   [email protected]

[email protected]

• DX Community
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

View Postcorrupted, on 03 January 2011 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostDucati-900SS, on 02 January 2011 - 08:56 PM, said:

Posted Image

Sean
I can't take credit for the chrome. I actually found these wheels  to start with(1/24 scale). I cut the front ones and ground them down to fit the tires without messing up the chrome. The rears I had to add resin outer rims and inner rims to it to make them fit. I've got it down pretty good now so it isn't too bad to make any rim like this now. I'm stuck using alklad, but I don't have luck with it.

View Post[email protected], on 03 January 2011 - 02:58 PM, said:

I use alumilite for my resin and mold maker. It's pretty uncomplicated to do. The tires are soft resin that you add dye to.

hahah that will save you a lot of time any money  Posted Image  i wonder how they will look under the countach?  Posted Image
Hmmm, did we just change dirrections with your car? HAHAHA Posted Image  I'll have to take a picture of that for you,lol.

Hey Brian, I dont know if you've ever heard of them, but theres a company called Chrome Tech USA. They do awesome work, and the chrome looks better than most model kit plating. You should check these guys out. Their site is: www.chrometechusa.com. They are located in Wisconsin.

#15 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

View Post[email protected], on 03 January 2011 - 05:57 PM, said:

Hey Brian, I dont know if you've ever heard of them, but theres a company called Chrome Tech USA. They do awesome work, and the chrome looks better than most model kit plating. You should check these guys out. Their site is: www.chrometechusa.com. They are located in Wisconsin.

Actually I just hapened to check them out the other day. I am really interested in haveing them do the chrome. I keep forgetting to call them. I will know more when I get a quote from them. I was trying to keep the cost to about $30.00 for a set of wheels and tires.
For now I got the alklad to work right, and it looks pretty good.

Edited by corrupted, 08 January 2011 - 07:36 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4910 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

Lookin' good, Brian!  Glad to hear that the Alklad is working!  Will save you a few bucks and those buying them from you vs. having to contract it out.

Sean

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:00 AM

I am still thinking of sending them out and having them chromed, but it will add to the price. Then again it will be soo much nicer. I'll have to see what kind of interest there is in these, and see if it is worth it.

#18 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

Just finished another set of wheels. These are convo pro style. The molds are curing right now.

#19 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4910 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

You're getting all the popular designs of drag racing!  Look great, keep up the great work!!!

Sean

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   got556

got556

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 534 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho/HWE/CMC

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

Those look fantastic!  Keep up the great work...one day I'll get around to ordering from you for the Cuda we talked about building!  And if I do, those Weld Racing Magnum Drags (pic with all the wheels, bottom center) would go great with it!

#21 OFFLINE   gray2000

gray2000

• DX Community
  • 2 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

Great job on the wheels and tires. Very impressive. I am especially impressed with your tires. I have been working on a line of resin (old school) drag parts myself. Only I am working in a much smaller scale 1/64th and the tires are the one thing that have been giving me the most trouble. You mentioned you have found a way to mold them without messing up the backs to much. If it's not to much trouble would you mind sharing your technique, or any tips you might have for making the molds. Since I can see no evidence of any mold lines I would swear your working from a one piece mold, or am I wrong?

Again, fantastic work.

Cheers
Troy

#22 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

View Postgray2000, on 05 February 2011 - 08:35 PM, said:

Great job on the wheels and tires. Very impressive. I am especially impressed with your tires. I have been working on a line of resin (old school) drag parts myself. Only I am working in a much smaller scale 1/64th and the tires are the one thing that have been giving me the most trouble. You mentioned you have found a way to mold them without messing up the backs to much. If it's not to much trouble would you mind sharing your technique, or any tips you might have for making the molds. Since I can see no evidence of any mold lines I would swear your working from a one piece mold, or am I wrong?

Again, fantastic work.

Cheers
Troy

Thanks. I use a 1 piece mold. There is some distortion on the back side of the tire, but not too bad. There are also pin holes on the backside, but you don't see them when it's on. Most people who make tires just glue the tire to the flatsurface. I glue round styrene to the tire on the back side in 3 spots so it is level, but off the bottom. That way the silicone can get under it and make a clean back. The bad spots are where you have to trim the tire where the stands were(styrene pieces). I'll have to take some pics. to show you better. I'm not sure how hard it would be to do that way on 1/64 scale.
I have some resin 1/64 scale drag parts. I have dominator carb, hood for hotwheels camaro with a hole cut in it. A few other pieces, but haven't seen them in a while. What parts are you making?

#23 OFFLINE   gray2000

gray2000

• DX Community
  • 2 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

View Postcorrupted, on 05 February 2011 - 10:35 PM, said:

Thanks. I use a 1 piece mold. There is some distortion on the back side of the tire, but not too bad. There are also pin holes on the backside, but you don't see them when it's on. Most people who make tires just glue the tire to the flatsurface. I glue round styrene to the tire on the back side in 3 spots so it is level, but off the bottom. That way the silicone can get under it and make a clean back. The bad spots are where you have to trim the tire where the stands were(styrene pieces). I'll have to take some pics. to show you better. I'm not sure how hard it would be to do that way on 1/64 scale. I have some resin 1/64 scale drag parts. I have dominator carb, hood for hotwheels camaro with a hole cut in it. A few other pieces, but haven't seen them in a while. What parts are you making?

Thanks for the quick reply corrupted. Your explanation sheds a little more lite on the technique and explains the lack of mold lines. I take it you have to connect the dots to the styrene standoffs using an exacto knife to remove the original tire after the initial mold is made. I can see how this would give a very clean back, but at 64th this could be a problem given the very small confines. I'll deffinately give it a try though and I look forward to seeing further pics of your process.

Most of my stuff focuses on drag and old school A/FX parts. I love the gasser stuff from the 60s. I'm doing engines and trannys. Various blowers with individual pulley and belt assys. Various style injector hats. Injector manifolds with individual fluted stacks. All sorts of different engine goodies. Gasser style front suspensions. Rear axles both leaf and coil over. Drag chutes and racing seats. Moon tanks and tachs and of course tires and tires and wheels and wheels. Wish I had some pics, but no camera at the moment. Here's some pics of my 1/64th AWB Goodies Hemi Pontiac I made a while back to give you an idea of the caliber of the parts I'm working on.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4910 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Hey Gray!
Welcome to the forum!  Pleaseure to have you with us.

That GTO looks tops!!!  Great detail on such a small scale.  Can't wait to see more!

Sean

Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

That looks really cool. I like the framework and engine. I've dabbled in 1/64 scale for a bit, but didn't go to crazy. I'd like to see more pics of your stuff, very nice.
Oh, and welcome to DX.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.