aluminum wheels - Aftermarket parts & Materials - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

aluminum wheels

183 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts
  • Favorite Brands:0
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

I know I've been saying I'll be making aluminum wheels for a while now. I just started on them today. First I'll be starting with drag race wheels because that is mostly what I do. I will soon (after I get better) will make all other styles. Here's what me and a friend came up with so far. Aluminum weld superlites.

pics.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   RSIevolution

RSIevolution

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2580 posts
  • Interests:Music, 1:1 Cars, 1:18 Cars...
  • Number of Models:Unknown
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart- Kyosho- Minichamps- Norev, Ignition
  • Proud Citizen of: gr

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

Nice start Corrupted!! I started painting the turbo-chargers i bought from you... Going to be really nice...!!!Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   mark

mark

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

NIce - I've envied the resin cast stuff you've done as well.  What's the secret on the wheel rim?  You turn them on a lathe or what?  What do you start with?

Mark

#4 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:11 PM

I can't wait to see what you do with the turbos RSI.

Mark... I use a lathe and a mill to make them. I plan to make them one piece, but the two piece seems to work for now.

#5 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4910 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

Very cool, Brian!  Those look really hot!  They're gool look great on your next drag car.

Sean

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ

Posted Image

Click HERE for my 1:1 Plymouth 'Cuda restoration project

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

#6 OFFLINE   DevilR1

DevilR1

• DX Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 1588 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto,Autoart,Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

They look very good man!
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Mungojerrie

Mungojerrie

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 579 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

Fantastic work, man! They look stunning. I can't wait to see what you come up with in the future. I would definitely be game for some custom jobs. Keep us posted on your progress.

:wavetowel2:
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts
  • Favorite Brands:depends on the subject matter

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

Cool.  I also am looking forward to future wheels.  I've casually mentioned wheels for StreetFighters/Pro-Touring Muscle cars and something for Exotics/Sports Cars...which essentially are the same type of wheels depending on who you ask.  Hahaha

#9 OFFLINE   mark

mark

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

View Postcorrupted, on 29 January 2011 - 08:11 PM, said:

Mark... I use a lathe and a mill to make them. I plan to make them one piece, but the two piece seems to work for now.

Oh man!  Look at you with the milling machine.  I'm like, now how can I make my craftsman drill into a lathe!     :giggle

Mark

#10 OFFLINE   VeeDub Matt

VeeDub Matt

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6036 posts
  • Interests:Theology, motoring, and art
  • Favorite Brands:Spark, HPI, Bizarre, and Premium ClassiXXs

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:22 AM

As always, nice work, Brian! I look forward to seeing more of your custom work here on DX. Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Nocky

Nocky

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5254 posts
  • Interests:Diecast, models, customized cars
  • Favorite Brands:Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of: nz

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:48 AM

View Postcorrupted, on 29 January 2011 - 08:11 PM, said:

Man do I want one of those BAD!

Nice work! I was thinking of asking you if you can cast some of the Landrover wheel centres for me, but it looks like your going to be busy for a while!

cheers

Peter

Custom Diecast, Just DO IT!
Posted Image

#12 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:32 AM

Very nice indeed.  :wavetowel2: :clap: :occasion14: :clap: :Jka:

I should be getting everything I need by the end of next month to join you in the custom wheel trade. Except I am going to start with the exotic stuff, as that is mainly what I do.
Which milling machine do you have? I know it is MicroMark, but what model?
Keep up the great work

#13 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

Thanks everyone

View Postmark, on 29 January 2011 - 10:55 PM, said:

Oh man!  Look at you with the milling machine.  I'm like, now how can I make my craftsman drill into a lathe!     :giggle
Mark
I think I've tried this. OK, put the drill on the ground and kneel on it. Then take a screw driver or file and work the aluminum. There ya go(This doesn't actually work).

View PostBiblitect, on 30 January 2011 - 12:22 AM, said:

As always, nice work, Brian! I look forward to seeing more of your custom work here on DX. Posted Image
I wish I could have posted more of what I've been working on, but I've been too busy to take pics of some of the other builds.

View PostNocky, on 30 January 2011 - 02:48 AM, said:

Man do I want one of those BAD!
Nice work! I was thinking of asking you if you can cast some of the Landrover wheel centres for me, but it looks like your going to be busy for a while!
cheers
Peter
I'd be happy to Nocky. I try to make molds when I have a lot of stuff to cast. If I only have 1 or 2 parts to make then I usually wait until I have a few more pieces to make it worth the time. So if you send me what you need made I'll fit it in. It seems lately I've been making molds once a week. I have so many new parts to put on my site, I just don't have time to add them,lol.

View Postmrm, on 30 January 2011 - 04:32 AM, said:

Very nice indeed.  :wavetowel2: :clap: :occasion14: :clap: :Jka:

I should be getting everything I need by the end of next month to join you in the custom wheel trade. Except I am going to start with the exotic stuff, as that is mainly what I do.
Which milling machine do you have? I know it is MicroMark, but what model?
Keep up the great work
That would be great, becasue I don't know how long it will be before I get into the exotic stuff. When I do I'll have to buy me a bunch of different exotic cars to work from.   :welcome  Then it will be hard not to tub them out and put a big race engine in with some wheelie bars, hehehe.
Anyway, the mill I have is the newest one they make. I'll have to go outside and get the model #, but I'd recomend the next size up. When I ordered this one I thought I was getting the larger one that I've been looking at for a while. I saw that it was cheaper and I thought it was on sale,lol. It was a different machine all together. All the clamps, and hold downs were for the bigger machine so I had to make my own. Notice in the picture regular bolt and nut holding the vise down.   :tongue4: There are more attatchments available for the next size up. This one is fine for what I need, but it's just a little more work.

Edited by corrupted, 30 January 2011 - 09:18 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4910 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

View Postcorrupted, on 30 January 2011 - 09:18 AM, said:

Thanks everyone

Mark
I think I've tried this. OK, put the drill on the ground and kneel on it. Then take a screw driver or file and work the aluminum. There ya go(This doesn't actually work).

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Poor man's lathe!

Sean

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ

Posted Image

Click HERE for my 1:1 Plymouth 'Cuda restoration project

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

#15 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

View PostDucati-900SS, on 30 January 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

Thanks everyone

Mark

Poor man's lathe!

Sean

I've even tried to turn my drill press into a mill, LOL. That didn't work out so well either.

#16 OFFLINE   Florin

Florin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2529 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, Kyosho

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

Those wheels look spot on   :wavetowel2:

Question for you:
Would you consider making the MB AMG Monoblocks, if I would be to provide you with a sample? I can guarantee you that you would sell at least 10 sets right away - only to DXers.
These are the wheels, as you can see it isn't such a complex design...
Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

I will definately consider it, and do plan on making all types of wheels. I just don't know exactly when I'll be starting the exotic wheels. I can tinker with these a bit from the picture to practice.

#18 OFFLINE   mark

mark

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

View Postcorrupted, on 30 January 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

View PostDucati-900SS, on 30 January 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

Thanks everyone

Mark

Poor man's lathe!

Sean

I've even tried to turn my drill press into a mill, LOL. That didn't work out so well either.

Poor man's lathe is right!  You know exactly where I'm coming from...

Mark

#19 OFFLINE   Florin

Florin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2529 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

View Postcorrupted, on 30 January 2011 - 12:56 PM, said:

I will definately consider it, and do plan on making all types of wheels. I just don't know exactly when I'll be starting the exotic wheels. I can tinker with these a bit from the picture to practice.
That's encouraging. please keep us updated!

#20 OFFLINE   S40

S40

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3733 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

View PostFlorin, on 30 January 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

Question for you:
Would you consider making the MB AMG Monoblocks, if I would be to provide you with a sample? I can guarantee you that you would sell at least 10 sets right away - only to DXers.

You know, Diecastcustoms-NRW on here is making these rims in resin. He's already sent me some preproduction pics.

#21 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

View PostS40, on 30 January 2011 - 03:28 PM, said:

You know, Diecastcustoms-NRW on here is making these rims in resin. He's already sent me some preproduction pics.

He's got a lot of nice wheels. I want to try to get a bunch of them for the cudas from him.

#22 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts
  • Favorite Brands:depends on the subject matter

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

Question for you:

I was just looking at those wheels again (the originals, not the resin preproductions)  I want a couple sets at least.

#23 OFFLINE   bruinne

bruinne

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 545 posts
  • Favorite Brands:auto art
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:24 AM

I hope the price won't be too high, and got more up to date model. You have dxers on your back, a simple poll will help you decide which wheel to make.
Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   Florin

Florin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2529 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

Those wheels look spot on   :occasion14:

Question for you:

Thanks for the info, I did not know that...

If Corrupted can make them from aluminum, it would be even better.

#25 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

There's a few issues I can see for making all types of wheels. Drag race wheels are basically somewhat simple design. They are mainly 15" wheels with different widths for the rear. To make wheels for exotics or other styles you're talking thousands of different styles and sizes. For me to keep up with the demand of all the different styles and new wheels coming out I'd have to do nothing but wheels. I have a full time job on top of all this too. I am planning to make the drag wheel masters in all depths and then see what the cost is to have a company produce them. Those alone would take over all my time to do them myself. That's where the cost comes in, not only is there the cost of the time and material to make the masters, but the cost of someone else mass producing them. Once I get through the first few sets of drag wheels I'll have a poll for what sets of wheels for exotics(or others) should be next. I may have to limit it to between 5 and 10 different types of wheels. So if anyone wants to reply with a request I can start to make a list of possible choices. Thanks.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.