aluminum wheels - Aftermarket parts & Materials - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums - Page 3

aluminum wheels

183 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

View Postcorrupted, on 06 March 2011 - 06:52 PM, said:

View Postmairandeddy, on 06 March 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

Takes me back to my attempts to drill holes for patch-bays (DOWNWARDS)into ally blocked on 2x2 wood batons, only to go right through and get the end of the drill bit tangled in the pile of the carpet - AND A RESULTING HOLE!!) - and a HEAP of explanations to the missus as to how it was an accident beyond my control...  :giggle:   :rolleyes:

Ohh man... I know where you're coming from.   :giggle:   :giggle:

Thank God it's not just me.....I guess that makes us (blood0 brothers! - I take it there was blood??  :tongue4:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#52 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts
  • Favorite Brands:0
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

View Postmairandeddy, on 06 March 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

View Postcorrupted, on 06 March 2011 - 06:52 PM, said:

View Postmairandeddy, on 06 March 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

Takes me back to my attempts to drill holes for patch-bays (DOWNWARDS)into ally blocked on 2x2 wood batons, only to go right through and get the end of the drill bit tangled in the pile of the carpet - AND A RESULTING HOLE!!) - and a HEAP of explanations to the missus as to how it was an accident beyond my control...  :tongue4:   :giggle:

Ohh man... I know where you're coming from.   :giggle:   :giggle:

Thank God it's not just me.....I guess that makes us (blood0 brothers! - I take it there was blood??  :rolleyes:
There would have been if the lady found out. LOL. " look dear... what do you think of the new rug?"   :giggle:

#53 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts
  • Favorite Brands:depends on the subject matter

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

Thought of another one tonight for the musclecar/streetfigher/pro-touring style.  Plus sized Rally wheels.
I have some JADA wheels I was experimenting with.  The one thing I wanted to do was make the center cap look like a two piece deal.  Would that be possible?

#54 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

View PostBlitz, on 06 March 2011 - 10:16 PM, said:

Thought of another one tonight for the musclecar/streetfigher/pro-touring style.  Plus sized Rally wheels.
I have some JADA wheels I was experimenting with.  The one thing I wanted to do was make the center cap look like a two piece deal.  Would that be possible?

I'm sure it would be possible to do.

#55 OFFLINE   RamJet

RamJet

• DX Community
  • 91 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Too Many To List

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

Corrupted, those are excellent! Any chance for the matching tires to come with them?

#56 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:34 PM

View PostRamJet, on 07 March 2011 - 10:15 AM, said:

Corrupted, those are excellent! Any chance for the matching tires to come with them?

Do you mean the tires that are on them? Yes I am making those tires also. I believe the front and rear tires are different widths so I will be making both sizes. I will be also making the popular 5 and 10 spoke wheels like this also. The TT's will be finished by the weekend. Waiting on a new shipment of aluminum for the larger wheels.

#57 OFFLINE   mosteller

mosteller

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1514 posts
  • Interests:Primarily post -WWII and pre-1980 sports cars and road racing cars.
  • Favorite Brands:CMC

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

Pattos not only makes and sells decals but also sells wheels of different styles and sizes. Although they are intended for slot cars, has anyone tried them for 1/18 models?
Bob
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and ambition.

#58 OFFLINE   fvtalon

fvtalon

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 255 posts
  • Favorite Brands:cmc, kyo, maisto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:11 AM

Have you looked into making just the tires for problem models?  I'm thinking Norev here with the huge sidewall tires.  I have a hard time pulling a model apart just for the tires.

#59 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

View Postfvtalon, on 09 March 2011 - 04:11 AM, said:

Have you looked into making just the tires for problem models?  I'm thinking Norev here with the huge sidewall tires.  I have a hard time pulling a model apart just for the tires.

If there is a tire that someone is needing I can make them. They may not be perfect on the back side, but you don't see that side. The thinner the sidewall the harder it is to get a decent rear side. I don't use 2 part mold for my tires because I don't like the seam in the middle of the tread. If you send me 4 tires(most exotics have directional tires)I cn make a mold of them.

#60 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:30 AM

View Postcorrupted, on 09 March 2011 - 05:48 PM, said:

View Postfvtalon, on 09 March 2011 - 04:11 AM, said:

If there is a tire that someone is needing I can make them. They may not be perfect on the back side, but you don't see that side. The thinner the sidewall the harder it is to get a decent rear side. I don't use 2 part mold for my tires because I don't like the seam in the middle of the tread. If you send me 4 tires(most exotics have directional tires)I cn make a mold of them.

I kinda solved the seam problem, but the back side is still giving me sleepless nights. Some mornings my wife looks at me like the bull from a Lambo nose.

#61 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

Gentlemen (since you recently posted back to back).  Will you be offering brakes?  My WISH LIST would be a metallic, 2 piece, cross-drilled/slotted rotors with a 6 piston caliper.  For the 1/24 guys, I've even seen a 3D brake rotor that had the vanes running between the inner and out piece.  I would be excited to have [email protected]@$$ wheels AND brakes.  Thoughts?

Example:

Posted Image  

#62 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

I will be making photo etch rotors, but can't say when I will have any made.

#63 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:55 PM

View Postmrm, on 10 March 2011 - 02:30 AM, said:

I kinda solved the seam problem, but the back side is still giving me sleepless nights. Some mornings my wife looks at me like the bull from a Lambo nose.

I started building a vacuum tank to help with making tires. I think it's the only way to get the bubbles out. As long as it takes for the flexible resin to cure the vacuum tank should pull all the air bubbles out.   :occasion14:

I got bad news from the machinist today. My drag race wheels are going to cost me way too much to have them make them the way I wanted. Now I have to change them and make them 1 piece wheels instead of the 3 piece. I hope to save money there and make them affordable. The only bummer is I'll have to buy more of each kind rather than being able to have all the same outers and just different inners that changed depending on the style. Hoping to get that all worked out this Sunday so I can move on with the other wheels. It seems I've run into the reason soo many companies are out sourcing to other countries.
I am also not going to give up on aluminum wheels, but I do have a question that will help me and mrm with our wheel quest.
What is the most you would spend on the right set of aluminum wheels for your cars? Total price with shipping included. I've heard from some people $50 -$100 is what they've paid total. This will give me something to go by when I try to work the best deal possible. We both have plenty of money invested in this to let it go so your help is needed. I just spent $3600.00 on a 3d cad program to make all aluminum wheels, and I plan to make as many as I can. If I do all my blueprinting and designing then that will save a bunch of money.

Edited by corrupted, 10 March 2011 - 05:40 PM.

#64 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

Give me a couple days and I will give you my wish list wheels and what I'd be willing to pay.   I know it's not up to me but I'd be picky about the details if I'm able to influence the choice at all.  Hope that doesn't sound bad.

#65 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

View Postcorrupted, on 10 March 2011 - 04:49 PM, said:

Are those the ones you plan to offer?  

#66 OFFLINE   RSIevolution

RSIevolution

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2580 posts
  • Interests:Music, 1:1 Cars, 1:18 Cars...
  • Number of Models:Unknown
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart- Kyosho- Minichamps- Norev, Ignition
  • Proud Citizen of: gr

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:32 PM

View Postcorrupted, on 10 March 2011 - 04:49 PM, said:

Perfect brake discs!!! please inform me when you have them available for sale!!!

For the wheels, i am waiting for you to make some 19" with wider rear for my Kyosho Supra.....Come on.....!!!
Posted Image

#67 OFFLINE   ayaxr

ayaxr

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1058 posts
  • Favorite Brands:HWE, AUTOart, Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: pa

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

Great news about the brake discs as well Posted Image

#68 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

View Postgot556, on 20 February 2011 - 07:38 PM, said:

Hey bro, Tuesday when the post office re opens after the holiday I'll be getting those wheels out to you  :occasion14:

Your mailbox is full.
Just checking to see if you were able to send out those wheels. I was thinking I could mold some wheels you'd want and make them in resin(like you were saying), and then also make them 2 piece with aluminum outers. If you have any other wheels that you would like to have made you can send them along too. I'm still going to work on the adapters for other cars. Hopefully someday this aluminum wheel thing will work itself out.

Edited by corrupted, 10 March 2011 - 09:23 PM.

#69 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:21 AM

View Postcorrupted, on 10 March 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

View Postgot556, on 20 February 2011 - 07:38 PM, said:

Hey bro, Tuesday when the post office re opens after the holiday I'll be getting those wheels out to you  :occasion14:

Your mailbox is full.
Just checking to see if you were able to send out those wheels. I was thinking I could mold some wheels you'd want and make them in resin(like you were saying), and then also make them 2 piece with aluminum outers. If you have any other wheels that you would like to have made you can send them along too. I'm still going to work on the adapters for other cars. Hopefully someday this aluminum wheel thing will work itself out.

Yeah, that aluminum wheel thing is a pure numbers game . I can have them made for just a buck a piece in China if I ordered 10 000 of them. That would be $10 000 for 2500 sets. I need sponsors  :icon_bs:

I am making mine one by one by hand. They may not be perfect like from CNC, but they are going to be true hand made customs. I am still thinking selling them for no more than $50. I have the first set almost done, but my wife started giving me heat about the noise, so I'll finish them tomorrow.All I need is to manage to make one set a day average. I think 30 sets a month made is more than I'll be able to sell.

Edited by mrm, 11 March 2011 - 05:23 AM.

#70 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

View Postmrm, on 11 March 2011 - 05:21 AM, said:

thing will work itself out.

Yeah, that aluminum wheel thing is a pure numbers game . I can have them made for just a buck a piece in China if I ordered 10 000 of them. That would be $10 000 for 2500 sets. I need sponsors  :occasion14:

I am making mine one by one by hand. They may not be perfect like from CNC, but they are going to be true hand made customs. I am still thinking selling them for no more than $50. I have the first set almost done, but my wife started giving me heat about the noise, so I'll finish them tomorrow.All I need is to manage to make one set a day average. I think 30 sets a month made is more than I'll be able to sell.

Have you bought a mill yet? I may be selling mine. I'm getting a cnc mill. Now that I have the software I can set up a designated computer for the new mill and just program everything in. Then I don't have to sit there for hours.Using that will still be one at a time, but at least they will be the same. The noise gets pretty crazy with the lathe. I had to make a workshop out back. Now I have my own little machine shop and paint room. For now I'll be doing resin centers and aluminum outers also. I don't have any exotic wheels to use so I'm starting with these. These are no longer made and are hard to find.

#71 OFFLINE   ayaxr

ayaxr

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1058 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:31 PM

I assume all of those styles in that picture are available with "regular/low" profile tires? Reason I ask is that up to now on the site I've seen only big drag wheels..  They look great btw, looks like little by little you guys are getting there :D

#72 OFFLINE   RSIevolution

RSIevolution

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2580 posts
  • Interests:Music, 1:1 Cars, 1:18 Cars...
  • Number of Models:Unknown
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart- Kyosho- Minichamps- Norev, Ignition
  • Proud Citizen of: gr

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:13 PM

View Postcorrupted, on 11 March 2011 - 05:20 PM, said:

View Postmrm, on 11 March 2011 - 05:21 AM, said:

thing will work itself out.

Yeah, that aluminum wheel thing is a pure numbers game . I can have them made for just a buck a piece in China if I ordered 10 000 of them. That would be $10 000 for 2500 sets. I need sponsors Posted Image

Have you bought a mill yet? I may be selling mine. I'm getting a cnc mill. Now that I have the software I can set up a designated computer for the new mill and just program everything in. Then I don't have to sit there for hours.Using that will still be one at a time, but at least they will be the same. The noise gets pretty crazy with the lathe. I had to make a workshop out back. Now I have my own little machine shop and paint room. For now I'll be doing resin centers and aluminum outers also. I don't have any exotic wheels to use so I'm starting with these. These are no longer made and are hard to find.

Posted Image

well, corrupted, it seems that i will need some sets from the photo above, please, post a couple of pictures with tires if you have available some sets, and i will pm you..!!!Posted Image

Edited by RSIevolution, 11 March 2011 - 06:13 PM.

Posted Image

#73 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

View Postayaxr, on 11 March 2011 - 05:31 PM, said:

I assume all of those styles in that picture are available with "regular/low" profile tires? Reason I ask is that up to now on the site I've seen only big drag wheels..  They look great btw, looks like little by little you guys are getting there :D

Yes they will have low profile tires. Actually the tire on the rim in the picture is they type of tire that will fit the 3 larger sets (10 spoke, 5 spoke, and torque thrust II's.

View PostRSIevolution, on 11 March 2011 - 06:13 PM, said:

well, corrupted, it seems that i will need some sets from the photo above, please, post a couple of pictures with tires if you have available some sets, and i will pm you..!!!Posted Image

I can have them in resin any time. I have all the molds made, and have made a few sets. These will soon have aluminum outers also. So either way, also can make them in black resin.

#74 OFFLINE   ayaxr

ayaxr

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1058 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

Great! Available soon I presume then.  Also what cars is this compatible with? like how do they connect, stick on straight into the axle?  Any headway on the adapters?
Dont mean to hassle with alot of questions, just wanting to know how things are rolling :)

#75 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

On the Streetfighter wheels, I can't quite tell about the lugs but are they just molded in?  Will there be any seperation or removability?(if that's a word)  One more question.(for now)  The center caps...removable or fixed?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.