How to simulate stitching on interior seats? - Interior Works - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

How to simulate stitching on interior seats?

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   got556

got556

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 534 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho/HWE/CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

Okay guys, in the process of modding my C63 AMG...and want to add red stitching to the seats.  I tried using a needle and poking paint into the "leather".  The paint is not visible this way.  Therefore I had to carefully use the side of a needle and add dots to simulate a rather ugly looking stitching design.  I'm not happy with it but not sure how to improve it.

Here's a pic of how it looks right now but I know there is someway to vastly improve it.  I also thought about cutting up very tiny strips of red thread...but not sure how that would turn out and I would have to glue the thread.  If it doesn't look good I've ruined a seat and now only have one seat, so I'm not that desperate yet.

Posted Image
100_0107 by adidac_23_02, on Flickr

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   imitenotbecrazy

imitenotbecrazy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1172 posts
  • Favorite Brands:any

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

I would paint the seat the final color with an oil based paint first then use a needle to poke little holes then Id use a water based paint and do a "wash" which is just covering over those holes with the paint so that it goes inside. Then I would get a damp rag and wipe off all the excess water based paint. This way removing the water paint wont interfere with the oil paint and you should still have the water paint inside the needle holes. This is just an idea off the top of my head. Havent tried to do stitching yet
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   got556

got556

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

That's a good idea, lots of work, but a great idea.  I may try it when this 18" of snow decides to hit Illinois on Tuesday...just in time for my weekend lol.

Seriously this is probably the best idea that can come out of this (the way you mentioned).  I also thought about one of those chiropractor tools that has a wheel on the end w/ a bunch of spikes around it (to test nerves I believe).  Thought about rolling that in paint and running it along the seat, but I'm pretty sure it is too large to use and would produce roughly the same results as the needle route I first tried and failed lol.

Edited by got556, 30 January 2011 - 06:35 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   S40

S40

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3733 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

You haven't ruined the seat. If you want to cover up the red, just use some black paint.

Don't have any suggestions on how to do the thread though. I've used the same method as you but with the tip of an Xacto on a 1/24 SLR 722 kit. It turned out okay.. .(like yours) but not perfect.

#5 OFFLINE   got556

got556

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

I tried the exacto knife route but kept cutting into the "leather" and it wasn't really working for me.  In theory is sounded good...much like my method I've stuck with so far, but I think I can do better.  Maybe they'll look better once inside the car w/ all of the black interior surrounding the seats, more subtle I should say.  

Need to just use a seat out of a parts model and just practice tons of different methods, but then arrives a different issue lol.  At the moment I can think of four different materials used for seats, and each one would require different ways to add the stitching (plastic, rubberized, immitation leather, and flocked).  Oh well lol.

#6 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2080 posts
  • Favorite Brands:depends on the subject matter

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

One thing I would try is using a more subtle shade.  I think even if you wanted red, using a shade that is more subdued (sp) will help simulate a better scale "stitch".  That and somehow you're going to have to get the dots per inch up and the dot size down.  I know, easier said than done.  I haven't tried it yet but I can imagine how tedious it would be.  I think typically the eye can pick up slight differences so the dots can almost be as small as your patience can get them.  :wavetowel2:

#7 OFFLINE   swede70

swede70

• DX Community
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Vintage SCCA Trans Am enthusiast, 1:32/1:25/1:18 scale model builder invested in same topic, collector of all textual material relating to the series. Academic librarian by training.
  • Favorite Brands:GMP - or whatever I brand as my own.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Greetings,

I've never strictly done this, but is it possible one could employ a pin vise to drill tiny holes where desired, and run fishing line (available in many a color) through the same?  It could look 'in scale', effectively serve as stitching, etc.  Again, maybe just speculative nonsense.  Kind regards...

Mike K.

#8 OFFLINE   CarCrazyinARKANSAS

CarCrazyinARKANSAS

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 919 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Maisto GMP

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

Just a thought, a round toothpick is quite effective in producing tiny spots of paint.
1963 GMC with 305 V6 and plaid valve covers

Posted Image

"The world is in an uproar. The danger zone is everywhere, everywhere." Ray Charles Greatest Hits 1962

Special thanks to GuitarDave for making banner!

#9 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

I'd say that it's going to be nigh on impossible to go any smaller than you've achieved already without it looking like a continuous line....

have you thought of pinstriping instead? :twocents:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   B1N9S

B1N9S

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 933 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

I don't want to sound defeatist, but I have come to the conclusion that some DIY mods are a step too far and no matter what you do, it is nigh on impossible to achieve a satisfactory result and I think that baseball stitching is one of them.

#11 OFFLINE   La modz

La modz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 858 posts
  • Interests:1-18 diecast models.tropical fish keeping.
    moddifiying real cars
    muy thai boxing
  • Favorite Brands:auto art
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:23 AM

yeah agree why not try pin striping with coloured fine line tape,ive done it and it came out better than expected

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.