exotic aluminum wheels - DX Exotics | Sports Cars - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

exotic aluminum wheels

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts
  • Favorite Brands:0
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

I posted about my aluminum wheels already, but those were for drag racing. I am going to also make some exotic/ pro touring/ sports or other aftermarket wheels for those type cars. For now I would like to make one style to get a cost figured out, and also to get some interest before making other styles. I wasn't expecting to be making these so soon. I just came from a meeting with the machinist, and am pretty optomistic. So... for now I need your imput. I need DXer's to say what wheels they would like to see made in aluminum. I will need a picture along with it also. I know some have already done this in the other post I had, but I figured it would be easier to keep track of in it's own. I may make it a pole, but either way which ever wheel has the most interest is the one I will start with. Also some measurements would help too. thanks

Edited by corrupted, 20 July 2011 - 01:54 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   cyrus43

cyrus43

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1628 posts
  • Favorite Brands:HWE
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

Anything MAde by BBS would do. Do make some that would fit directly onto the Usual Kyosho mounts. Also, maybe you could make some Maisto mountable rims for us mere mortals. :D Need some rims for my S55 AMG project.

#3 OFFLINE   mark

mark

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:49 PM

glad to hear you're taking this on!  Now I won't have to struggle to make my own with that home made drill/lathe!   :-)

There are so many options!   I know BBS will be a popular one. Also saw peole talking about Kinesis in an eariler thread.  Was looking for the link someone provided to a website that had a lot of alu wheels. Not the Uli Nowak one but a different site.  would be good for reference

Mark

Edited by mark, 17 February 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   imitenotbecrazy

imitenotbecrazy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1199 posts
  • Favorite Brands:any

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

Fikse wheels are pretty popular with luxury sedans and some exotics. There have some very classic simple deisgns. And of course BBS's are a very popular choice

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
If youre interested in any of these and need dimensions I can check them out for you

Edited by imitenotbecrazy, 17 February 2011 - 05:53 PM.

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   got556

got556

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 534 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho/HWE/CMC

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

AME Circlar Spec R's

Enkei RPF1

Volk TE-37

Volk RE-30

Workmeister S1

Replica Ferrari F40 wheels

HRE Monoblock series (CSL type with deep concave)

HRE 590RS

Advan RS

To name a few lol and of course your typical BBS wheels also.

#6 OFFLINE   RARE 5.0

RARE 5.0

• DX Community
  • 85 posts
  • Favorite Brands:gmp

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

BBS RK and make them to work on maisto 03 cobras im down for a few sets if so

Posted Image

CCW Classic

Posted Image

CCW Lm20

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   imitenotbecrazy

imitenotbecrazy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

View Postgot556, on 17 February 2011 - 06:01 PM, said:

Enkei RPF1

Volk TE-37

Volk RE-30

Workmeister S1

Advan RS

To name a few lol and of course your typical BBS wheels also.
I love all of these but the works are my favorite wheel ever made. I think they may be kind of hard to produce though due to the convex spokes. I would LOVE do do this:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

From the sounds of it some type of BBS wheel would work for this to get things started. Now for the hard part... How to make them fit most cars. Are any of them common or are they all different. I haven't run into many cars that were alike in this area, but I don't have much experience with exotics. I can try to make adaptors for them as well, but from what I've read this may be impossible. It may be up to the modder to figure out how to adapt them. I don't really like that. When I make something I like to know that it works the way it's supposed to, and fit the way it should.

#9 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10816 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that is has value for my money

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

How about some telephone dials?

Attached Files

• Attached File  ccr.JPG   18.12K   1 downloads

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

#10 OFFLINE   imitenotbecrazy

imitenotbecrazy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

adapters that the modder attaches to the wheel is probably going to be your best bet. That way if the modder doesnt like the look of the wheel on that particular model they could potentially remove the adapter and fit another one for another brand. Otherwise you would have to stock 10 different styles of the same wheels. I think once a measurement of the spindle on the different manufacturers is done then a low cost option could be found. I once saw a thread on adapters for different manufactures and easy solutions that could be found at home depot. I cant seem to find that thread though
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

View Postacisne, on 17 February 2011 - 07:00 PM, said:

How about some telephone dials?
Those don't look too hard to make. I'd need some real good pics though. Looks like there are a lot of curves on the face.

View Postimitenotbecrazy, on 17 February 2011 - 07:01 PM, said:

adapters that the modder attaches to the wheel is probably going to be your best bet. That way if the modder doesnt like the look of the wheel on that particular model they could potentially remove the adapter and fit another one for another brand. Otherwise you would have to stock 10 different styles of the same wheels. I think once a measurement of the spindle on the different manufacturers is done then a low cost option could be found. I once saw a thread on adapters for different manufactures and easy solutions that could be found at home depot. I cant seem to find that thread though

I've seen a thread about adaptors too, maybe on another site. I don't believe there was a solution in the one I read. I'm sure it can be done.

#12 OFFLINE   imitenotbecrazy

imitenotbecrazy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

could always cut off the backs from different wheels from all the manufacturers and make molds of all the original wheel fittings. This seems like kind of an expensive option unless you could organize people to send you a spare wheel from each manufacturer. I would be glad to send out a few spare wheels to get some master adapters made.
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   got556

got556

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

Corrupted...

If you give me your address I can send you some of my wheels from Germany to show you how they did it.  I mean I know you have an understanding but sometimes it's better to visualize with it in hand.

As for making them fit.  Find a common lip size, say 3.5 to 5 mm in the front and 7 to 8 mm in the rear....then base all wheels of these type off those lip sizes.  Then for the backspacing I would do somewhat like Hotwheels does and has a very long/deep hollow tube on the backside of the wheel.  This will allow modders to fill the hole to adjust/drill accordingly and also allow them to grind down the tube to adjust their own spacing/backspacing of the wheels whether they want them sunk in, just flush, or sticking out of the fenders.

I also have some AUTOart C63 AMG wheels along with some Kyosho wheels I believe.  I like imitenotbecrazy's idea on replicating the rears of certain major manufacturers wheels so there wouldn't be too much fitting/trial and error going on.

Edited by got556, 17 February 2011 - 07:26 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

View Postimitenotbecrazy, on 17 February 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

could always cut off the backs from different wheels from all the manufacturers and make molds of all the original wheel fittings. This seems like kind of an expensive option unless you could organize people to send you a spare wheel from each manufacturer. I would be glad to send out a few spare wheels to get some master adapters made.

I may take you up on that.

View Postgot556, on 17 February 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

Corrupted...

If you give me your address I can send you some of my wheels from Germany to show you how they did it.  I mean I know you have an understanding but sometimes it's better to visualize with it in hand.

As for making them fit.  Find a common lip size, say 3.5 to 5 mm in the front and 7 to 8 mm in the rear....then base all wheels of these type off those lip sizes.  Then for the backspacing I would do somewhat like Hotwheels does and has a very long/deep hollow tube on the backside of the wheel.  This will allow modders to fill the hole to adjust/drill accordingly and also allow them to grind down the tube to adjust their own spacing/backspacing of the wheels whether they want them sunk in, just flush, or sticking out of the fenders.

I also have some AUTOart C63 AMG wheels along with some Kyosho wheels I believe.  I like imitenotbecrazy's idea on replicating the rears of certain major manufacturers wheels so there wouldn't be too much fitting/trial and error going on.

I would like to see how they made their wheels so I can get a good idea on where to start. Are those aluminum or resin wheels?

#15 OFFLINE   got556

got556

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

Aluminum barrels w/ resin spokes/centers.

I can do pix or you can PM me your address and I'll send them right out.

#16 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

PM sent. I thought about doing resin centers, but would rather do all aluminum. How much were they with aluminum outers and resin centers? If you don't mind me asking. Thanks.

#17 OFFLINE   imitenotbecrazy

imitenotbecrazy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

In terms of complexity I think resin centers are more versatile. I would hand sculpt the centers then make silicone molds of them and then reproduce as necessary. Very accurate and specific measurements would have to be taken to ensure continuity around the whole wheel but with resin you can do concave and convex surfaces with ease. Im not sure how youre planning on machining the aluminum but I would think mostly flat faced wheels centers would be possible. Doing concave/convex surfaces on aluminum may be complicated and costly. Just some perspective. Aluminum would look really awesome though!

PM me if youd like me to send out some wheels to get the backs cut for adapters.
Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

View Postimitenotbecrazy, on 17 February 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

In terms of complexity I think resin centers are more versatile. I would hand sculpt the centers then make silicone molds of them and then reproduce as necessary. Very accurate and specific measurements would have to be taken to ensure continuity around the whole wheel but with resin you can do concave and convex surfaces with ease. Im not sure how youre planning on machining the aluminum but I would think mostly flat faced wheels centers would be possible. Doing concave/convex surfaces on aluminum may be complicated and costly. Just some perspective. Aluminum would look really awesome though!

PM me if youd like me to send out some wheels to get the backs cut for adapters.
I will use the mill and lathe to make masters of the wheels. Then I'll take them to a machinist who is going to do the other wheels for me. I know it won't be cheap that's why I'm starting with one style first. If I'm a little off it won't matter because they use 3d programs to get everything just right and even, and all the dimenssions will be correct. Actually that's what costs so much is all the blueprinting and set up. Once it's all set up and in the computer they can make as many as necessary, and fast. They have 6 axis machines and everything is programmed. I'm going to buy one of his older mills from them. It's computerized as well, but it's a small machine he used to make r.c. car parts on as a hobby. Not much for production like all his other machines.

#19 OFFLINE   Florin

Florin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2529 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

The problem with the fitments is not only the mount, but the offset of the wheels.

I would really like a set of these, especially all aluminum!
Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4910 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

View Postcorrupted, on 17 February 2011 - 08:29 PM, said:

I will use the mill and lathe to make masters of the wheels. Then I'll take them to a machinist who is going to do the other wheels for me. I know it won't be cheap that's why I'm starting with one style first. If I'm a little off it won't matter because they use 3d programs to get everything just right and even, and all the dimenssions will be correct. Actually that's what costs so much is all the blueprinting and set up. Once it's all set up and in the computer they can make as many as necessary, and fast. They have 6 axis machines and everything is programmed. I'm going to buy one of his older mills from them. It's computerized as well, but it's a small machine he used to make r.c. car parts on as a hobby. Not much for production like all his other machines.

You're picking up a CNC machine?  How cool is that!!!

Sean

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ

Posted Image

Click HERE for my 1:1 Plymouth 'Cuda restoration project

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

#21 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts
  • Favorite Brands:depends on the subject matter

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

Crap!  How did I miss this thread?!?!   LOL    

Fikse Profil 5S

Posted Image

Fikse Profil 5

Posted Image

CSL/BBS style

Posted Image

ADV-1 simple concave design but amazing style!

Posted Image

These would be some of my first picks.  I'm excited that the U.S. may FINALLY have a custom wheel source....well, other than GMP and Jada...hahaha.  

#22 OFFLINE   imitenotbecrazy

imitenotbecrazy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:57 PM

View Postcorrupted, on 17 February 2011 - 08:29 PM, said:

Thats awesome that you have that kind of access. I used to have access to a water jet machine but I dont think it could cut something that small with as much accuracy as Id need. Im excited to see what comes out of all this. It would be really great to have a custom wheel source in the US. Ill probably send out those wheels to you sometime next week as Im gonna be out of town till then.   :occasion14:  thanks for doing this for all us statesiders!
Posted Image

#23 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

View PostFlorin, on 17 February 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

The problem with the fitments is not only the mount, but the offset of the wheels.

I would really like a set of these, especially all aluminum!
Posted Image

I wonder if I could have them made in 2 parts so that there could be 2 different offsets.

View PostDucati-900SS, on 17 February 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

You're picking up a CNC machine?  How cool is that!!!
Sean
I am excited about that. He's got like $5000.00 in it, and only used it 3 times. I'm getting a good deal on it.

View PostBlitz, on 17 February 2011 - 08:52 PM, said:

Crap!  How did I miss this thread?!?!   LOL    
These would be some of my first picks.  I'm excited that the U.S. may FINALLY have a custom wheel source....well, other than GMP and Jada...hahaha.  

I like the ones in the first picutre.

View Postimitenotbecrazy, on 17 February 2011 - 08:57 PM, said:

Thats awesome that you have that kind of access. I used to have access to a water jet machine but I dont think it could cut something that small with as much accuracy as Id need. Im excited to see what comes out of all this. It would be really great to have a custom wheel source in the US. Ill probably send out those wheels to you sometime next week as Im gonna be out of town till then.   :occasion14:  thanks for doing this for all us statesiders!

The only access I have is my friend used to work there. I'm not sure if I'll get a discount( most likely not), but at least I have a place available. I am hoping it turns out good because if so I plan on continuing making as many different wheels as possible to fit as many cars too. Just trying to do my part for the diecast community. That's been my goal ever since I started making parts. I see something that is needed and I try to make it.

#24 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts
  • Favorite Brands:depends on the subject matter

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

Do you have intercoolers?  

#25 OFFLINE   imitenotbecrazy

imitenotbecrazy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:44 PM

I would definitely make the wheels in 2 pieces for modders. That way they can adjust the offset to fit each application and they can paint the centers before putting them into the barrels. This is especially useful on a wheel like the BBS LMs where the barrel is polished
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.