#1 OFFLINE   smokin_moe

smokin_moe

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1059 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Varies
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

Over the last year or so, diecasts have slipped some on my list of priorities. But still, at random moments of downtime, I found myself thinking about buying one of Maisto's Porsche 550 Spyders with the intent of doing a respray on it sometime this summer.

Before I go further with this story, I should make some comments about my skills when it comes to modifying models. History has shown that when I try to fix or improve or just change a piece, the outcome generally resembles Frankenstein's child just back from summer camp at Chernobyl. So when I say I was "thinking" about doing this respray, I mean that in the same sense that I sometimes think about buying a small Caribbean island to maintain as a vacation home.

Anyway. The 550 that was taking shape in my head was light blue with white tail stripes and a cream interior.... So lo and behold, Schuco shows up at the Nuremberg Toy Fair with my imagination pretty much made incarnate! (I'm tempted to post pics, but I imagine everyone who's interested has probably already seen them). Seeing it was a just a bit surreal at first. But now - well, now I'm starting to get really excited for the release of this model. I've always loved the 550. It's one of my all time favorite cars. And this color scheme just makes me salivate. I've never before felt this much anticipation for the release of a scale model. I saw on Kraftig's thread that it's probably going to be pretty pricey. But still, I think I'm going to bite.

Ohboyohboyohboy!

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Florin

Florin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2481 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Well, I'm all up for buying 1 or 2 high end models/year, especially if they are representing automotive icons like the 550. But before I fork out my hard earned cash, I need to see some pics of the actual model.

I see you're excited about the hobby and that's a good thing   :wavetowel2:
But...but...but the Chinese labor rates!

#3 Guest_[KRAFTIG]_*

Guest_[KRAFTIG]_*

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

I'm anticipating this release as well, I was all giggles when I saw the release photos from the last show.  That turned to tears after I saw the sale price on the eBay action.  As someone else has mentioned in my earlier thread, I don't believe this will be the opening price point, well I certainly hope not.  :wavetowel2:

I just completed my second custom model (if you want to call it that) Audi TT-RS.  No big modifications, just some interior painting and addition of calipers.  I can't even imagine doing something on a scale of custom body work and paint.

#4 OFFLINE   smokin_moe

smokin_moe

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1059 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Varies
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

View Post[KRAFTIG], on 24 February 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

I can't even imagine doing something on a scale of custom body work and paint.

I can imagine it. But, man, it doesn't make a pretty picture.  :wavetowel2:  That's part of the reason I'm so happy Schuco stepped in to make my daydream a reality.

Do you have photos of your TT-RS? (Totally possible I missed that thread if you do, but I'd love to see it).

#5 Guest_[KRAFTIG]_*

Guest_[KRAFTIG]_*

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:34 AM

View Postsmokin_moe, on 24 February 2011 - 11:07 PM, said:

View Post[KRAFTIG], on 24 February 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

I can't even imagine doing something on a scale of custom body work and paint.

I can imagine it. But, man, it doesn't make a pretty picture.  :wavetowel2:  That's part of the reason I'm so happy Schuco stepped in to make my daydream a reality.

Do you have photos of your TT-RS? (Totally possible I missed that thread if you do, but I'd love to see it).

Not yet, should be this weekend...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.