Aftermarket wheel sets - Aftermarket parts & Materials - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Aftermarket wheel sets

150 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

Hi guys.
I know there are few threads about the subject already, but I did not want to take away from anyone's thread, so I am starting this one.
The occasion is that today I received my final finished CAD files for the wheels I am making. Tomorrow I should receive the quotes from three different manufacturers I shopped and from what I understand, depending on their schedules I should have ready product at my door step in anywhere between four to eight weeks.
I wish I could upload the images, but I don't know how. I am a computer handicap.  :agreed:
So I'll try to explain as best as I can what is coming. My idea was to offer something with a level of adjustability. So I designed a system where each wheel consists of three pieces. Outer aluminum rim, center/design piece and attachment adapter. All centers are going to be the same on their back side. they will have a specific "dimple" in the center, to which three different adapters will attach. I decided on three generic adapters which will be easily modified to fit the needed application. There are endless sizes and profiles that the companies have used over time and it will be impossible to make a different mold of each center for all of them. This is why there are going to be available in three generic, most common shapes/sizes.

The rims themselves are going to come in two different outside diameters and the front ones are going to be narrower than the rears. The larger diameter is 32mm. That is the same size as the wheels that mattel fit to their 458 Italia. These wheels will fit nicely Most modern supercars and high end brands. Ferrari California, 430, 599, 612, BMW M6, MB AMGs, Maserati, just to name a few. Bot the front and the rear wheels are going to be reversible. They are going to have the same profile on both sides, but different depth. This will give you the ability to choose between off sets and how much lip your wheel has. The cool part about it is, that this way having one set of wheels you have four possible set ups. Now add to this different thickness centers and the options stat to multiply.  :occasion14:

On the smaller wheels the outside diameter is going to be 29mm and they are going to have the same features as the larger wheels, but they are not going to be the same on both sides. One side will have a slightly smaller inner diameter and stepped design, more in line with more traditional wheels. The other side will have deeper dish with smooth tapered lip and slightly larger inner diameter. So the adjustability on those is going to be a little bit more limited. These will fit very nicely on Ferrari 348,355,360,550 MB, BMW, Porsche etc.

For center design for the larger diameter wheels I have ready the mesh type Hamann wheel that someone showed in orange, plus the a multyspoke Hamann design that was also shown. Also two other mesh styles, a seven spoke design, a six spoke design, a custom two-piece Italia design and a little surprise.
For the smaller diameter wheels I currently have a five spoke Hamann design and two different mesh styles. Other ones are being worked on.

To give you an idea why it takes so long. I first have to research, measure and design everything. Then I put it on paper in form of numbers and send it to my designer. Then his company starts work on the 3D model and when ready sends me the images. I recheck all measurements and approve. Then he creates a hard abc plastic prototype of each piece and sends it to me to test fit. If everything is OK, I find a place to machine the product and when they fit me in their production schedule, I get my parts. All this is just the alu rims and it is by no means cheap.

I am also making a second line of wheels that are going to be all resin and one piece. Also some resin accessories. By the end of the week I should have available 360 Challenge stradale wheels. 430 Scuderia wheels and seats. 599GTO wheels and seats, 599XX wheels and seats. Also AMG monoblocks as found on the Minichamps AMG C43 model.
Shortly after there should be available also the optional V8 California wheels and seats and before them the BMW CSL wheels.

By the end of the week I should also have my website fully operational, where pictures will be available.

I need your advice on a couple of things.
First should all wheels come as a set with tires, or the tires and wheels should be available by them selves?
The other thing is about the AMG monoblocks. Should they be made wider than the original Minichamps part? If I make them wider then one can always cut them on the inside to make them narrower. If they are made wider, how wide?

That is all for now.

:icon_scratch:

VISIT US @ WWW.DIECASTCUSTOMS.COM

Edited by mrm, 16 March 2011 - 12:56 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   imitenotbecrazy

imitenotbecrazy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1199 posts
  • Favorite Brands:any
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:36 PM

Its too bad you arent located in the US. This will be just another option us americans will drool over.
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   ayaxr

ayaxr

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1058 posts
  • Favorite Brands:HWE, AUTOart, Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: pa

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

imitenotbecrazy, on 01 March 2011 - 07:36 PM, said:

Its too bad you arent located in the US. This will be just another option us americans will drool over.

+1  dam.it :( I'm also highly interested in the accesories you're thinking of, mainly seats.. it would be good for someone in the US to work on these as well.

I'll go on a limb and suggest that the wheels be sold with the tires.. I might be wrong but I dont think theres a whole surplus of tires easily available for this kind of work.

Edited by ayaxr, 01 March 2011 - 07:46 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts
  • Favorite Brands:depends on the subject matter

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

I can't wait.  I don't even know where to start commenting.  For me, I'll have to wait until the "pretty pictures" start popping up. LOL.   I will definitely offer my help where I can though.    :icon_scratch:

I do hope that some of the wheels will naturally fit currently available tires.  I've heard the Hamann/Novitec resin copies were like this but I can't confirm.  Trying to offer them to an individual model might be costly (perhaps that's a poll topic), but maybe somehow you can streamline that process.   :agreed:

There will be an American source.  His product may not be quite in depth as mrm's at start but if we support them both perhaps it will benefit us ALL.  :occasion14:  

Edited by Blitz, 01 March 2011 - 07:52 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   S40

S40

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3733 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

That was me that posted the Hamann wheel! I would love some sets for a few cars I have!

I think on the AMG monoblock, the rear should be slightly wider than the front. I don't think there's any need to make the wheels too wide. Are these in resin? I also think all wheels should come with a set of tires. If a customer requests that they don't have tires, then subtract X amount from the price. I think most of us are going to need tires with our wheels.

Will you be making any resin Mercedes-Benz pieces? Maybe Brabus bumper add on type things?

If I did order some resin parts from you, can you paint them too?

Also, if you know how to email photos, you may email them to me and I'll upload them for you.

Edited by S40, 01 March 2011 - 07:57 PM.

#6 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:20 PM

Thank you guys for the interest.
First things first.
I am from Bulgaria and so is my wife. I guess that makes my kids 100% Bulgarians too, but they were born in Aspen, CO. I am located in Colorado, which is where I call home right now. I went to school in Florida, graduated in DC, spent some time in Chicago and met my wife wile living in New York.  I always wanted to live in California, but have not made it there yet  :icon_scratch:
In short, one of the main reasons why I started this is to give the guys in good ole US of A some good stuff to keep'em busy.

About the resin parts. They are going to be molded from black resin. I chose black as it is the best base for any silver finish, and most sport or race seats are black , red, or blue, which will be all fine.
About the AMG monoblocks. They are going to be available two ways. In all resin, which will come first, and in mixed media - Alu rim and resin center, which will come later on. I actually feel stupid for not thinking about making molds for both sizes. Sometimes the obvious escapes us  :agreed:
About the tires I was thinking to have a price for wheels and have a choice of available tires. My wheels are going to be smooth on the outside, so they will accept any tire as long as the size is right. The bigger set, should fit perfectly the tires from Mattel F430 or 458 Italia. So the idea was if you get Hamann wheels for your F430, then why having to buy a set of tires that you already have from the model you are modding? Yet if you are using the wheels on Maisto's Maserati 3200 (I'll show you how that looks pretty soon) Then you will need the tires which will be available for an extra charge. Same goes if you like to put new wheels on your Italia, but would like the tires from the F430.

The smaller wheels should fit without a problem tires from 360, 550 or Maisto Gallardos among others. Actually this why I chose those specific dimensions-to try to make it easier for everyone.

As far as other custom parts and painting etc. it is all in the plans, but I can't make it all at once. I will be adding new stuff all the time. The main idea for the site and where everything started was providing custom building services. Like if you want a custom made model or parts or wheels. Or if you had the parts or a resin model but need someone to build it for you. When the site is launched you will see.
 :occasion14:

Edited by mrm, 01 March 2011 - 09:24 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts
  • Favorite Brands:0

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:28 PM

Blitz, on 01 March 2011 - 07:50 PM, said:

I can't wait.  I don't even know where to start commenting.  For me, I'll have to wait until the "pretty pictures" start popping up. LOL.   I will definitely offer my help where I can though.    :icon_scratch:

I do hope that some of the wheels will naturally fit currently available tires.  I've heard the Hamann/Novitec resin copies were like this but I can't confirm.  Trying to offer them to an individual model might be costly (perhaps that's a poll topic), but maybe somehow you can streamline that process.   :agreed:

There will be an American source.  His product may not be quite in depth as mrm's at start but if we support them both perhaps it will benefit us ALL.  :occasion14:  

I am meeting with the machinist tomorrow for the 2 sets of wheels I dropped off 2 weeks ago. Also getting a price for those. I am bringing 6 more sets of wheels to add. And I will be discussing exotic wheels further with him. I wasn't going to jump right in and make them, but I see the need for them so it's kinda become a priority. Between mrm and myself there should be plenty of different types of wheels to choose from.

mrm I'm glad you have jumped in and started your wheels. I can't wait to see them. Sounds like they will be great.

#8 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

corrupted, on 01 March 2011 - 09:28 PM, said:

Blitz, on 01 March 2011 - 07:50 PM, said:

I do hope that some of the wheels will naturally fit currently available tires.  I've heard the Hamann/Novitec resin copies were like this but I can't confirm.  Trying to offer them to an individual model might be costly (perhaps that's a poll topic), but maybe somehow you can streamline that process.   :icon_scratch:

I am meeting with the machinist tomorrow for the 2 sets of wheels I dropped off 2 weeks ago. Also getting a price for those. I am bringing 6 more sets of wheels to add. And I will be discussing exotic wheels further with him. I wasn't going to jump right in and make them, but I see the need for them so it's kinda become a priority. Between mrm and myself there should be plenty of different types of wheels to choose from.

mrm I'm glad you have jumped in and started your wheels. I can't wait to see them. Sounds like they will be great.

Thank you Brian.

I have to say, that Corrupted has helped me with some things. namely the creation of the website and guiding me in the right direction when it comes to materials. I believe that we can make a cool collaboration out of this rather than competition. I will be more than happy to devise some kind of plan too, so we don't both end up making the same wheels that also someone makes in Germany, while there are stuff that people want and are not available  :wtff:

I am and always have been a Ferrari and exotics guy, so that is why this is the direction I went in. I can probably make pretty cool Street Rod wheels, since I believe that GMP has dropped the ball there with their '32 Fords, but american muscle and hot rods are not really my thing. There is market for both types I think and that's why I left the american stuff to an American.
As far as different wheel types, we can both make two new designs a week and never run out of material for the next five years.
 :agreed:

#9 OFFLINE   imitenotbecrazy

imitenotbecrazy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1199 posts
  • Favorite Brands:any

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

Awesome! Sorry I didnt know you were in the states! I guess I shouldnt assume the little country symbol means they reside there. Im glad to hear there are options opening up for wheels for us. Im taking a break from 1:18 for now due to space and costs and building a 1:24 collection but Im sure that I will be picking up plenty of wheel sets once I start back up. For now Im happy with 1:24's incredible selection of wheels and accessories. Hope all this works out for everyone   :occasion14:
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   ayaxr

ayaxr

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1058 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:26 AM

Wow, then this is GREAT NEWS!.... eagerly awaiting pictures.. you can be sure many will jump in :D

#11 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hi guys.
I am happy to inform you that I have the castings ready for the 599GTO , 599XX, Challenge and Scuderia wheels made. I am also almost done with the AMG monoblocks (the first of three I am working on). I just need to sort out an issue I am having with air getting trapped right on the axle. I might have to mold the axle separately.
By tomorrow night the casts for the Scuderia and 599GTO seats are also going to be complete. I also experimented with creating a staggered Scuderia rim, which can later be converted into a center for the aluminum rims. I will post pictures of everything later on tonight or tomorrow.

I received quotes for the cnc machined rims too, which down right scared me. $8.95 for the fronts and $9.56 for the rears. That is each wheel!!!! :giggle: It means that after shipping to me it would cost me $40 for the rims, before I make the centers and the tires. It would put a set of wheels and tires at close to $50 cost to me, which is insane. And this is without counting the initial investment for the CAD files, silicone, making the molds, getting masters etc.  
I am trying a couple of other places and hope to get a better price  :giggle: .
My idea was to sell a set of wheels and tires for about  $40 for the aluminum and resin and no more than $20 for a set of all resin wheels.
Any feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Also I received quite few models, that I ordered to use for masters. So sometimes next week the BMW CSL and optional V8 California wheels are going to be done. Also the California and 360 Daytona style seats plus a couple of sport seats.

:giggle:

Edited by mrm, 04 March 2011 - 08:35 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

Exciting news.  We're on the brink of what many North American customizers have been waiting for for a long time!  I would say haggle, haggle, haggle!   If you consider the first company to be the best at quality, try to talk them down.   It would benefit yourself and...well...us consumers. :giggle:  
One thing you'd hate to do is settle for the lower priced company for the sake of quality.  It's YOUR NAME and REPUTATION you're also investing in.  Keep that in mind.    :giggle:

Edited by Blitz, 04 March 2011 - 09:04 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

I have also ran into this issue. The initial set up is what costs the most. I am lucky I have a friend who used to work there, but it's still costing a lot. I got a quote for $700.00(low side) for intitial set up for the kinesis wheels. Then there's the cost of how many I want to get, and material. He gave me a hint if I did all the drawing and measuring it will greatly reduce the set up. I am thinking of buying auto cad software in the next couple weeks. Then I'll do all my designing myself, and I'll just have to bring them the cad file. I will need the auto cad software for my new mill I'm getting. It's all computerised so I'll be able to make my masters much easier.
mrm, I'll let you know how much it'll be for what I'm having done and see if it's any better than what you're finding. If it's cheaper, then you may want to have these guys do it. I will also say that the quality of stuff these guys do is top quality. I still see the wheels not being less than $50-$60 for a set with tires, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited by corrupted, 04 March 2011 - 09:59 PM.

#14 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

corrupted, on 04 March 2011 - 09:58 PM, said:

I have also ran into this issue. The initial set up is what costs the most. I am lucky I have a friend who used to work there, but it's still costing a lot. I got a quote for $700.00(low side) for intitial set up for the kinesis wheels. Then there's the cost of how many I want to get, and material. He gave me a hint if I did all the drawing and measuring it will greatly reduce the set up. I am thinking of buying auto cad software in the next couple weeks. Then I'll do all my designing myself, and I'll just have to bring them the cad file. I will need the auto cad software for my new mill I'm getting. It's all computerised so I'll be able to make my masters much easier.
mrm, I'll let you know how much it'll be for what I'm having done and see if it's any better than what you're finding. If it's cheaper, then you may want to have these guys do it. I will also say that the quality of stuff these guys do is top quality. I still see the wheels not being less than $50-$60 for a set with tires, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Thank you. I already have the CAD files done. They quoted me those prices WITH ME providing them the CAD files and just running the program. From what was explained to me, the set up is to actually upload the program you provide them with, calibrate the machine, load it with the proper tooling and material and run it. The cost of the "solid model" being created is a totally separate issue. I am not even counting that part of my investment.
Maybe you can PM me the contact info for your guys and then ask them if you can get any discount for bringing them additional business.
I am going to go through with this no matter what, just because I am a stubborn mofo  :giggle: and because I already invested quite a bit in it and I just can not let it go to waist.

#15 OFFLINE   ayaxr

ayaxr

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1058 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

Regardless of the bumps in the road, I still wanna thank you guys again as you're filling a large gap in modding for the folks on this end...

Prices seem steep thats true, but even if the prices were to dip down only slightly, that would still make it worthwhile vs getting them from Europe. Thats my point of view, I'm sure maybe others would not feel the same.

Edited by ayaxr, 04 March 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:37 PM

I'm supposed to meet with him Sunday evening. I'll get some info from him. I already told him I plan to make at least 30 different types of wheels.
It'll be a lot cheaper if the software is all done.

#17 OFFLINE   bruinne

bruinne

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 545 posts
  • Favorite Brands:auto art
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:27 AM

getting them from europe or from US will be cost me the same. I live in Indonesia hehehe
Posted Image

#18 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

bruinne, on 05 March 2011 - 12:27 AM, said:

getting them from europe or from US will be cost me the same. I live in Indonesia hehehe

True that, YO!

But $40 plus shipping is cheaper than 40 Euros plus shipping  :giggle:

#19 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

Here are some pictures of the first experimental parts.  On all the pictures the parts are just slightly cleaned up from flash (which is minimal). They are not sanded, smoothed, painted or finished in any way. I am very happy with my molds as there are virtually no visible mold lines (the ones on the back of the seats are actually the factory ones from Mattel, not mine)

First, here are the 599XX, Challenge and 599GTO wheels

Posted Image

Posted Image

Scuderia wheels

Posted Image

AMG monoblock

Posted Image

All of them are really crisp and cast beautifully, but I can not resolve an issue with them.

I need them to look like this

Posted Image

and instead they come out like this

Posted Image

After many different experiments and all sorts of head scratching, we reached the conclusion, that it is the resin. I need to use a resin with different viscosity and set time. It is ordered and it is just a matter of time for it to come here to start a full run.
Different tires are also being made as I write this and as soon as I have ready samples I will post pictures.

The seats from 599XX, V8 Cali Daytona seats and 360 Daytona seats are also in the process, together with CSL and the optional V8 California wheels. I will post pictures soon.
My website has some issues to be ironed out. For example I don't receive the e-mails sent there and I need to make some pictures. But pretty soon everything will be operational.

Here is the Scuderia seat. As you can see there barely any visible mold lines and it has very sharp detail.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I made the 599GTO seat also, but have a major problem with air bubble getting trapped right at the headrest. I am experimenting with different solutions right now and even if I can't figure it out, I am sure the new resin will eliminate the issue.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   got556

got556

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 534 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho/HWE/CMC

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

mrm, on 05 March 2011 - 12:56 PM, said:

bruinne, on 05 March 2011 - 12:27 AM, said:

True that, YO!

But $40 plus shipping is cheaper than 40 Euros plus shipping  :giggle:

True story!

#21 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

I forgot.
Here is the staggered scud wheel I am working on

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   DevilR1

DevilR1

• DX Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 1588 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto,Autoart,Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

Very good start, I'd say!
Posted Image

#23 OFFLINE   ayaxr

ayaxr

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1058 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

Awesome... I would literally buy a few sets of everything you just posted :D .... hope the new resin gives you the results needed to move forward. Kudos again.

#24 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

Seeing those GTO wheels has me salivating man!    :giggle:    Not sure which one will get the switch but my 458's are begging for the wheel swap!  Have you considered the Ferrari Sport Seats too?  Example:  Miami Vice F430 Spyder (I think these are the same used in the 599 Fiorano.

Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   corrupted

corrupted

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

What resin are you using? Is it the micro mark stuff? Also are you injecting your molds or pouring? Also on your wheel molds, Try filling both sides of the mold and then put them together. That way there is resin in the area where you are having problems. The resin will stick to the sides and have less of a chance of bubbles. You can also try talc powder. That helps draw the resin into it which eliminates bubbles. I rarely have to use it, but I do if I have issues or am working with a difficult mold. Anyway, They are looking good otherwise. Good luck with the rest of them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.