Aftermarket wheel sets - Aftermarket parts & Materials - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums - Page 3

Aftermarket wheel sets

150 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   cyrus43

cyrus43

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1628 posts
  • Favorite Brands:HWE
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for your reply on the Mercedes Rims!! Looking forward to them!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#52 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

Hey guys, I was basically wondering around in the forum and looked at all the Italia pictures and ran into some of the discussions about the wheel size and the rotors. Someone made their rotors larger, not by much, but it made a difference.
  Do you think it would be cool if I made slightly larger rotors for the Italia as a direct replacement? It would be the easiest thing to do on your model , that would take like 10 minutes and be a great improvement. What do you think? $3.00 unpainted and $5.00 painted?

#53 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts
  • Favorite Brands:depends on the subject matter
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:36 AM

Yes.

#54 OFFLINE   RARE 5.0

RARE 5.0

• DX Community
  • 85 posts
  • Favorite Brands:gmp

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

View Postcorrupted, on 07 March 2011 - 07:26 PM, said:

View PostRARE 5.0, on 07 March 2011 - 03:14 PM, said:

Can someone make 03 cobra 10th anv wheels i need a few sets for my maisto cobras and my gmp notch that i buit to look like my real mustang.
i have tried the audi wheel but they seem to big.

View Postmrm, on 07 March 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

I wouldn't mind, but I definitely have my hands full at the moment. Corrupted maybe can jump on this one.

Are you just looking for these in resin? I can look into it and see what I can come up with. How much smaller than the audi wheel?
Resin would be fine. 1 in smaller seeing is how the Audi wheels are 18in no 17 in like to cobras. Would need 3 sets. Pm me if you can help Brian thanks.

#55 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

Yeah  :occasion14:
My lathe is finally here. And the CSL wheels are now available. The issue with the site is that I don't have time to take nice pictures of the available product in order to put it on the site. But it will be all done any time now.

The 599GTO, the Scuderia and a pair of Recaros (the ones from Kyosho's BMW M3 GTR) are now available. Even though the site is not finished payment can be made through Paypal. All issues with these have been resolved.
The 599GTO, 599XX, Challenge and Scuderia wheels are also done and so are the CSL wheels. The 599GTO wheels need some more work as they are not up to the standard I would like them to be. The main reason I am hesitant to offer them yet are the tires, which I am still figuring out how to perfect.

#56 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

View Postmrm, on 09 March 2011 - 02:50 PM, said:

The 599GTO, 599XX, Challenge and Scuderia wheels are also done and so are the CSL wheels. The 599GTO wheels need some more work as they are not up to the standard I would like them to be. The main reason I am hesitant to offer them yet are the tires, which I am still figuring out how to perfect.

I'm a bit confused.  The wheels are not ready?  

#57 OFFLINE   ayaxr

ayaxr

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1058 posts
  • Favorite Brands:HWE, AUTOart, Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: pa

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:36 PM

Im a bit confused too, on the site I dont really see a way to buy anything yet... lets give him some time, he says hes been busy :)

#58 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:45 PM

I have made the wheels and the seats. They are ready. I have problems with the tires. I ordered new material which should solve the issue. I also have four centers ready for the aluminum rims. I spent roughly 8 hours on the phone today, trying to find someone willing to cut the alu rims for me for less than $15 a piece. One place wants to make them for $9 a pop but that is if I make an order for $2000. I just spent a little over $3000 on this project so far and I don't have another 2G which have no chance bringing return profit.
Tomorrow I am going to Grand Junction to visit 2/3 shops and speak with the owners to see if anyone is willing to do this. If I am empty handed by 3pm I am going to the metals depot and buying aluminum stock and I am going to turn them myself. I will make it happen even if it is with blood and tears.

About the site, I have not done anything yet, because I don't want it to become active and people to start wanting things that I am not happy with quality wise. Not the way I would like to make a name for myself.
this whole thing is not as easy as would like it to be. To give you an example, the CSL wheels came out immaculate. From the very first cast. I can literally mount them on the Bimmer they came from, without even painting them or anything and they would look great. The 599GTO wheels are just as great except I am having issues on the rear ones, because apparently I did not prep the master the right way. so now if you put the original Mattel Tires from the 599GTO it looks great. But if you put a tire that is not hollow, like I did mines, it lifts it in one spot and I don't like it. I can package them this way and anyone with Exacto knife in hand can fix it and make it work, even if they have two left hands. But that is just not the kind of product I want to charge money for. with the tires I tried different ways to mold them with the idea of no traces of mold lines or entry points. The idea is tho have perfect thread all around. No matter what I do I have nasty marks or bubbles on the back side. When mounted, there is no way to see them, but I would like them gone. These are the issues that are stopping me right now. It is frustrating as hell and not cheap either. I think I have wasted close to $200 just in RTV silicone.

Edited by mrm, 10 March 2011 - 12:00 AM.

#59 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:21 AM

Don't give up the fight man!  The rewards of hard work and honesty are great, although the path to success is sometimes riddled with tests of patience.

#60 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:47 AM

View PostBlitz, on 10 March 2011 - 12:21 AM, said:

Don't give up the fight man!  The rewards of hard work and honesty are great, although the path to success is sometimes riddled with tests of patience.

The only thing I fear is not to run out of beer  :occasion14:

However I really hope my wife's patience with me not to run out before I start showing some results. Then I will REALLY be in trouble.  :hope:

#61 OFFLINE   ayaxr

ayaxr

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1058 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:16 AM

View Postmrm, on 10 March 2011 - 12:47 AM, said:

View PostBlitz, on 10 March 2011 - 12:21 AM, said:

The only thing I fear is not to run out of beer  :occasion14:

However I really hope my wife's patience with me not to run out before I start showing some results. Then I will REALLY be in trouble.  :hope:

lol..  Take your time, its great that you want your product to be spotless, its really the only way to go to make a great name for yourself.    Good luck Posted Image

#62 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:23 AM

Here are the centers that are awaiting the alu rims.
Three different mesh designs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

this is not from CSL wheel. it looks similar, but it is actually quite different

Posted Image

six spoke

Posted Image

five spoke

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the look I am after, but a deeper lip on the rear. These will accept tires from the F430 and 458 from Mattel

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The CSL wheels, just as they come out of the mold. They pretty much haven't even been cleaned up. This is how you would get them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Trial and error.

Posted Image
Usually the trial part takes waaaaay longer than the error.  :occasion14: I am working on a way to reverse them.  :hope:

Edited by mrm, 10 March 2011 - 02:26 AM.

#63 OFFLINE   ayaxr

ayaxr

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1058 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:35 AM

Wow thats a lot of trial n error.... so no way to reuse them as raw material?

#64 OFFLINE   ratmfan

ratmfan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No brand loyalty, I just like exotic cars

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

wow man, those look awesome! those 5 spokes would go great on my elite 430. that car is nice but i cant get over the rims and rubber band thin tires. they kill it for me. something like these would definitely breathe some life back into it!

stephen

#65 OFFLINE   cyrus43

cyrus43

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1628 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

HOLYYY MOLLY!!!! Thnk you for existing my friend! :D

What did you say your website was?? Also, dont hurry up just coz people want these. People can wait for quality and that quality is what we shall pay for. Cheers my friend, I love your work!

#66 OFFLINE   S40

S40

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3733 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

What kind of connector do the CSL wheels go onto? Do they slip on like newer Kyosho or is it held on by screw?

#67 OFFLINE   cyrus43

cyrus43

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1628 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

They look like the Screw on types to me. Norev types I guess!

#68 OFFLINE   S40

S40

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3733 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:53 PM

I now you've got a lot on your plate, but I just noticed that the CSL rims have a flat round center "logo area" for the wheel. Will you be able to provide BMW decals to go there?

#69 OFFLINE   cyrus43

cyrus43

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1628 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:17 PM

View PostS40, on 10 March 2011 - 10:53 PM, said:

I now you've got a lot on your plate, but I just noticed that the CSL rims have a flat round center "logo area" for the wheel. Will you be able to provide BMW decals to go there?

Posted Image Poor chap!

#70 OFFLINE   bruinne

bruinne

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 545 posts
  • Favorite Brands:auto art
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:12 AM

mrm, have you play with heat ? give enough heat to your cured resin wheels and yo can set up the concave. Make sure you have a nice base to set the concavity.
Posted Image

#71 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32796 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:34 AM

These look ace, I can see that a lot of hard work has gone into them!!

With regards to the Black split five spoke wheels in post #62 - will there be an option of tyres ?

I love the wheels, but IMO the tyre profile is a little 'skinny' they look a bit too low profile.

Is it going to be possible to get a set alreadsy painted so they can just be fitted on (I realise that it'll push the price up)

View PostS40, on 10 March 2011 - 09:54 PM, said:

What kind of connector do the CSL wheels go onto? Do they slip on like newer Kyosho or is it held on by screw?

I was wondering this too, also would they be fixed or still be able to rotate ? (note that I do roll the wheels lol)

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#72 OFFLINE   opel

opel

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 595 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Auto Art
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:04 PM

Would it at all be possible to make BBS LM-R wheels?   :occasion14:

http://www.tirerack...._dbml_ci3_l.jpg

Preferably in 19" 1/18 variant   :icon_bs:
George

Recent Addition: AUTOart Koenigsegg CCX
Posted Image

#73 OFFLINE   Blitz

Blitz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2081 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

+1

#74 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

Complete Aluminum reversible rim.

rear

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Front

Posted Image

Posted Image

How much do you love your F430 ? :occasion14:

#75 OFFLINE   imitenotbecrazy

imitenotbecrazy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1199 posts
  • Favorite Brands:any

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

Are you able to get some of those milling marks down with some polishing? The small lines around the barrel are kind of unattractive. Doing another very small pass would probably eliminate those
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.