Fixing Suspension on a GMP Ferrari 330P - GMP - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Fixing Suspension on a GMP Ferrari 330P

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bsmooth

Bsmooth

• DX Community
  • 49 posts
  • Favorite Brands:TrueScale Minatures
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

I keep hearing theres an easy fix for the Ferrari 330P front suspension made by GMP. But trouble is so far I can't seem to find the fix. Anyone here know where i can find it?

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4910 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

I'm not familiar with the car, what the issue with the suspension?  

Thanks!

Sean

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ

Posted Image

Click HERE for my 1:1 Plymouth 'Cuda restoration project

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

#3 OFFLINE   Racer 6c

Racer 6c

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:"Racing is life, everything before or after is just waiting." Travel, photography, Formula 1, SIM racing, family.
  • Number of Models:I have right around 110 1/18 scale racing(F1 and Le Mans) models.
  • Favorite Brands:MINICHAMPS F1, AUTOart racers, Exoto models - not the company or owner

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:03 AM

I think he is asking about the modification to lower the front ride height to a more accurate level.  The model in its stock form has the front ride height set vey high compared to the real 330P4's.

#4 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10816 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that is has value for my money

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

Pardon the question, but should a $289 model from the factory need to be "fixed"?   :clap:

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

#5 OFFLINE   Bsmooth

Bsmooth

• DX Community
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

Thats it exactly Racer 6C. The front suspension is a bit too high. BTW thats a nice Porsche 550. I got one of the Maisto ones in silver. Its actually not bad. Its one great looking car, pure sports car all the way. I can see why James Dean liked it so much.

#6 OFFLINE   Mclaren_F1

Mclaren_F1

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2279 posts
  • Interests:Cars in all sizes.
  • Number of Models:One too many.
  • Favorite Brands:None

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:34 AM

My advice to you, send the damn piece of crap back.  GMP Ferraris are the worst models you can buy in 200-300 range.  How the hell did they manage to sell so many of them is beyond me.   :clap:
Posted Image

Jersey_Devil said:

the Golden Rules:

1) Look both ways before crossing the street;
2) Wash your hands after using the bathroom;
3) NEVER pre-order from Exoto!

#7 OFFLINE   Super Snail

Super Snail

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2174 posts
  • Interests:Sportscars, Prototype racers, Motorcycles, Cobra's, GT40's, Porsche
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:23 AM

May I ask why the Ferrais are so bad? Apart from ride height which a lot of factories get wrong its not a bad model?

Edited by Super Snail, 03 April 2011 - 02:23 AM.

Steve

#8 OFFLINE   Mclaren_F1

Mclaren_F1

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2279 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

View PostSuper Snail, on 03 April 2011 - 02:23 AM, said:

May I ask why the Ferrais are so bad? Apart from ride height which a lot of factories get wrong its not a bad model?

Here are few reasons of why I think they're bad:
-Paint quality (you can chip the paint with your finger nail, you can even do that on a Maisto)
-Gap lines are way too wide for $250+ model
-They have many issues with front bonnet being bent (330s have this issue the most)
-Fit and finish is something you would expect from very old tooling, just look at opening gas caps on 330s
-It's not just me, they sell at an average of $150-170 and not at the very high price of $280+ and a local shop has been trying to move them at very low prices and any one who glances at them usually walks and the only reason they have been able to sell some is because no one else offers these and to think that such legendary Ferraris got into the wrong hands makes me sick.

I don't know about their 1/12 line, or their muscle cars, all I know is that their Ferraris could've been WAY better if CMC would've made them and they would've been priced the same.   :rolleyes:  :agreed:  

Please note that the above statements are my opinion since I bought 3 of them online, and returned them all for QC issues or the mentioned issues and inspected 7 others in person and found many more.  GMP's Ferrari QC is below average and I wished that they would've done a better job and I'm still hopeful that CMC would one day step up and do more P Ferraris.  :gaah:
Posted Image

Jersey_Devil said:

the Golden Rules:

#9 OFFLINE   Super Snail

Super Snail

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2174 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

Just wondering, I must be lucky shut lines are ok on my so is the fit of the bonnet must admit not tried to chip the paint, still it good to hear all opinions of amodel not matter wht they are.
Steve

#10 Guest_f1badude_*

Guest_f1badude_*

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:55 PM

View PostMclaren_F1, on 30 March 2011 - 10:34 AM, said:

My advice to you, send the damn piece of crap back.  GMP Ferraris are the worst models you can buy in 200-300 range.  How the hell did they manage to sell so many of them is beyond me.   :lamende:

The high cost hasn't as much to do with the quality or craftsmanship of the model and has everything to do with the excessive licensing fees Ferrari charges to reproduce their brand name. Ferrari makes very little net profits on the actual cars they produce and the majority of profit is through brand marketing. They charge an arm and a leg to put the Ferrari name on anything and everything. It is a shame because there is a very limited amount of high quality diecast Ferrari models on the market because of this. bburgo and Hot wheels are really poor quality. I have the 330 P4 GMP model and I do agree it is not a $270 caliber model but I can say it is very high quality in terms of most other Ferrari models.
When I first started collecting, I actually had to import any Ferrari models I wanted from Europe because Hot Wheels was the only one producing them in North America and at that time, they pretty much only made Michael Schumacher F1 and a couple different 333P models. It's nice to see at least a few other higher quality manufacturers now making Ferrari diecast models.

#11 OFFLINE   Bsmooth

Bsmooth

• DX Community
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

This is all great info, and I'll have to agree I was a little disappointed as far as the suspension goes, but the rest of the car looks great to me. Well I really like the look of the car anyways.
But to get back to the main point, does anyone know of a place to find the fix?

#12 OFFLINE   ACMEMark

ACMEMark

• DX Community
  • 17 posts
  • Favorite Brands:ACME

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:27 AM

If you will please drop me an e-mail with your address, I'd be glad to send you a set of new front springs. They are not a lot different, but a bit softer/shorter so the car will settle a little lower.

I am just an average guy, but if we sell 6,000+ varients of a model and get just a dozen or so back with complaints it seems to me they must be fairly decent.

There is no avoiding the fact that some collectors set their standards well above what a mass produced product can deliver. Others gain a sense of authority, strength or satisfaction just by complaining.  No, our cars are not prefect. There is definitely room for improvement, but then no matter how good an item is it will never please everyone.  

Please base you final judgement of any manufacturer's product on your own review, not one from a seemingly unhappy, crude, self proclaimed expert.  People like this in the end do little to further our hobby.

#13 OFFLINE   Morbo-Zim

Morbo-Zim

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2356 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, BBR, CMC, Hotwheels Elite, Exoto, GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:25 AM

View PostACMEMark, on 08 April 2011 - 09:27 AM, said:

If you will please drop me an e-mail with your address, I'd be glad to send you a set of new front springs. They are not a lot different, but a bit softer/shorter so the car will settle a little lower.

I am just an average guy, but if we sell 6,000+ varients of a model and get just a dozen or so back with complaints it seems to me they must be fairly decent.

There is no avoiding the fact that some collectors set their standards well above what a mass produced product can deliver. Others gain a sense of authority, strength or satisfaction just by complaining.  No, our cars are not prefect. There is definitely room for improvement, but then no matter how good an item is it will never please everyone.  

Please base you final judgement of any manufacturer's product on your own review, not one from a seemingly unhappy, crude, self proclaimed expert.  People like this in the end do little to further our hobby.

I could also use a set of those for my #6 330 p spider....

If it's not die-cast, it won't have a crumple zone

#14 OFFLINE   Bsmooth

Bsmooth

• DX Community
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:53 AM

Sent you a PM Mark.

#15 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:08 AM

View PostBsmooth, on 09 April 2011 - 08:53 AM, said:

Sent you a PM Mark.

and me...  :wavetowel2:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   Morbo-Zim

Morbo-Zim

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2356 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, BBR, CMC, Hotwheels Elite, Exoto, GMP

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:08 AM

View Postmairandeddy, on 09 April 2011 - 09:08 AM, said:

View PostBsmooth, on 09 April 2011 - 08:53 AM, said:

Sent you a PM Mark.

and me...  :wavetowel2:

+ 1 Posted Image

If it's not die-cast, it won't have a crumple zone

#17 OFFLINE   GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, photography, cars
  • Favorite Brands:Whomever makes my fav cars!

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:14 AM

View PostMclaren_F1, on 03 April 2011 - 08:46 AM, said:

-It's not just me, they sell at an average of $150-170 and not at the very high price of $280+ and a local shop has been trying to move them at very low prices and any one who glances at them usually walks and the only reason they have been able to sell some is because no one else offers these and to think that such legendary Ferraris got into the wrong hands makes me sick.

Heck, I'll take one for $150!  I've never seen them at that price, about $180 is the lowest I've seen on the black ones.

PS: If you want to see crap Ferraris, look at the Jouef version.  They're scary.

#18 OFFLINE   Bsmooth

Bsmooth

• DX Community
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:51 AM

I wonder why Exoto never did a version,but then again I hear they have licensing issues as well. I still want to see how Spark's version of the 68 and 69 Gulf GT40's come out. I'm seriously thinking of getting one.

#19 Guest_f1badude_*

Guest_f1badude_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

View PostGirchyGirchy, on 13 April 2011 - 07:14 AM, said:

View PostMclaren_F1, on 03 April 2011 - 08:46 AM, said:

Heck, I'll take one for $150!  I've never seen them at that price, about $180 is the lowest I've seen on the black ones.

PS: If you want to see crap Ferraris, look at the Jouef version.  They're scary.

I hear ya. Sign me up for one of each version @ $150 each!

#20 OFFLINE   oscar-alpha

oscar-alpha

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:13 AM

I have several CMC Ferraris, 330s + 312s, and other than a few minor issues w/ the 330s, they are beautiful and very realistic with high levels of detail.
oscaralpha.com

#21 OFFLINE   eric t

eric t

• DX Community
  • 57 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

Please, where is that link for fixing the 330 P4

suspension?????

#22 OFFLINE   ACMEMark

ACMEMark

• DX Community
  • 17 posts
  • Favorite Brands:ACME

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

Basically a few guys are replacing the front springs to lower the ride height. For the most part, it is only the first two releases that may benefit from this. All the others already have the softer/lower springs from production. If you want a set of the later springs, pls drop me a PM or an e-mail and I'll send you a set. We still have a few sets left.

Hope this helps.

#23 OFFLINE   Super Snail

Super Snail

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2174 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:49 AM

Thanks ACME Mark, personally I have not got any problems with my 330 P4's and I'm very pleased with them but I have learnt that, first models are only representations of the vehicles and none are perfect. You have certain things not possible to do on mass produced models due to cost and other considerations but you'll always get the rivet counters that buy a model only to rubbish it at the first opportunity and then you get the experts that will tell you black is white and so on with out knowing anything about the vehicle. I have even being told that a certain race car never raced at a certain event when I was there and took images of it! No model is perfect and the sooner some of us realize this the more fun you'll get out of a models and collecting.
Steve

#24 OFFLINE   Mclaren_F1

Mclaren_F1

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2279 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

check out the prices and when I say they sell for $150-$170 I really mean it.  Just few of the most recent that sold on eBay.

My point is that I went through so many that I lost count and now finally found a 330 #26 that has the least amount of issues.  The ride height is surely the least of the problems.

Sold for $147.50
My link

Sold for $156.88
My link

Sold for $170.00
My link

Sold for $165.50
My link

Sold for $161.50
My link

Sold for $160.00
My link

Sold for $157.50
My link

As we speak I have an ill 312PB sitting at home, waiting for a UPS call tag to come and pick it up.  Wobbly wheels, poor fitment of parts, loose rear suspension, etc...   :wavetowel2:
Posted Image

Jersey_Devil said:

the Golden Rules:

#25 OFFLINE   ws6_22

ws6_22

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1791 posts
  • Favorite Brands:gmp
  • Proud Citizen of: es

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

I have one ferrari 330 p4 (daytona version) and the car not have defects the only is the too big suspension,I Have one 312PB (the daytona version) and this car is perfect

I buy the 412P (targa florio version) but the car have this defect

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.