Joeyo's BMW Motorsport Collection - now up to 10 cars! - DX 1:18 Collectors - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums - Page 2

Joeyo's BMW Motorsport Collection - now up to 10 cars!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   joeyo387

joeyo387

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1055 posts
  • Number of Models:30
  • Favorite Brands:...
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

View Postagerasebbe, on 07 March 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

I'm not particularly into racers, but I must say that your collection is amazing! Posted Image

Thanks! I like collections that have something to tie them together, but not collections where cars are nearly identical. I've tried to get all BMW M liveries (kinda fudged a bit with the Valvoline E36) so that all the cars will have similar color schemes but will be different in shape and history, etc. One of my favorite shots is the second to last, where you can see the progression of the kidney grille over almost 40 years...
A focused or planned collection can tell a story, while a random collection talks mostly about the collector. Neither is better than the other, it's personal choice - Woobs
Posted Image
My Fastest Cars in History collection and my BMW Motorsport collection.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 OFFLINE   g3org3y

g3org3y

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2323 posts
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Great adds. especially the BT52.
Posted ImageBecause fanboy.

#28 OFFLINE   baonguyen77

baonguyen77

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 1444 posts
  • Interests:collecting models, playing the piano, watching MMA
  • Favorite Brands:HPI, Spark

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

Great collection of BMW racers!  The short history lessons on the cars are very cool as well.

#29 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2107 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy and science, diecast, sim racing,
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: pk

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:51 AM

View Postjoeyo387, on 07 March 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

Added three totally new cars in the past three years and exchanged the E46 GTR for a different version:

Awesome adds joeyo, especially the BT52.

Entirely inspired by you, I am building my own BMW motorsport collection. It is all boxed up though, awaiting an apartment move in May when I will get my own man-cave.

Thank you for inspiring me; BMW became my favorite subject matter after I saw your post in the middle of 2013, soon after I joined this site.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#30 OFFLINE   joeyo387

joeyo387

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

View PostUzair, on 14 March 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

Awesome adds joeyo, especially the BT52.

Entirely inspired by you, I am building my own BMW motorsport collection. It is all boxed up though, awaiting an apartment move in May when I will get my own man-cave.

Thank you for inspiring me; BMW became my favorite subject matter after I saw your post in the middle of 2013, soon after I joined this site.

Wow, there are plenty of larger BMW collections on here but I'm flattered that you were inspired by mine. I'd love to see your collection once you get it unpacked.

I originally became an M fan because at the time the E46 M3 was the best sport sedan around. Now I'm not so happy about the direction the road cars are going, but I'm a committed fan of their racing efforts, especially ALMS.
A focused or planned collection can tell a story, while a random collection talks mostly about the collector. Neither is better than the other, it's personal choice - Woobs
Posted Image

#31 OFFLINE   Ztune

Ztune

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:cars
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, TSM, HPI

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

Love your collection.  The side shot of the M3s is fantastic showing the evolution.

#32 OFFLINE   joeyo387

joeyo387

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:18 PM

So after adding the HPI McLaren Longtail today, I've reached a good pausing point with this collection. I have all 10 slots filled in my display case, and there aren't a whole lot of other BMW Motorsport cars that I want to add... Here they are in reverse order:

Posted Image
2012 BMW M3 DTM
o   ~480 bhp 4.0 liter V8 – Injected – DOHC 4 val/cyl - 9000 redline
o   6 speed semi-automatic – RWD
o   2426 lbs - 188.0 in long,  76.8 in wide, 47.2 in tall
o   0-60 in ~3s – top speed ~186 mph
In 2012, after a 19 year hiatus, BMW returned to the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters. Like the competing Audi A5 and Mercedes C-Coupe, the M3 DTM was a silhouette car, with bodywork resembling the E92 M3 covering a carbon-fiber tub. Amazingly, BMW swept the driver, team, and manufacturer championships in their 1st year with Bruno Spengler driving car #3 for BMW-Schnitzer, and won the manufacturer trophy again in 2013. Martin Tomczyk finished 8th in 2012 driving car #1 for BMW-RMG. Meanwhile, the production-based E92 M3 GT2 found its own success, winning the ‘10 and ‘11 ALMS team’s championships with team BMW-RLL as well as the ‘10 24 Hours Nürburgring.

Posted Image
2007 BMW Sauber F1.07
o   ~750 bhp 2.4 liter V8 – Injected – DOHC 4 val/cyl – 19000 redline
o   7 speed semi-automatic – RWD
o   1334 lbs - 180.4 in long,  70.9 in wide,  39.4 in tall
o   0-60 in ~2.7s – ¼ mile in ~9.0 s – top speed ~255 mph
The F1.07 was the first F1 car to be fully designed by BMW following their purchase of the Sauber team in late 2005. Car #9 was driven by Nick Heidfeld and the second car by Robert Kubica, with Sebastian Vettel making his first F1 start in Indianapolis after Kubica’s stunning crash in Montreal. Season highlights included Heidfeld’s 2nd place in Montreal and 3rd in Budapest. BMW-Sauber finished 2nd in 2007, following McLaren’s disqualification from the constructors standings in the wake of the spygate scandal. The next year, the F1.08 carried Kubica to the team’s first and only win in Montreal before BMW retired from F1 in 2009, due in part to the global financial recession.

Posted Image
2001 BMW M3 GTR
o   444 bhp 4.0 liter V8 – Injected – DOHC 4 val/cyl – 8500 redline
o   6 speed manual – RWD
o   2450 lbs – 181.6 in long, 74.8 in wide, 51.9 in tall
o   0-60 in 3.4s – ¼ mile in 11.4s – top speed 152 mph*
Following a rough debut season for the E46 M3 GTR in which the car’s Inline-6 engine lacked the displacement of rival Porsches, BMW built a new V8 for the GTR’s 2001 season. The new engine helped it to win 7 of 10 races in the ALMS GT class, including 4 by JJ Lehto and Jörg Müller. Their teammates Fredrik Ekblom and Dirk Müller, driving car #43, also aided BMW-Schnitzer’s effort by winning the optional 2001 ELMS at Jarama in Madrid. For 2002, responding to Porsche’s complaints, the ACO tightened homologation rules, forcing the GTR from the series after only a year. It was later taken out of retirement to win the ‘04 and ‘05 24 Hours of the Nürburgring for BMW.
* Performance figures as tested by Car and Driver, March 2003. Top Speed is redline limited.

Posted Image
1999 BMW V12 LMR
o   ~580 bhp 6.0 liter V12 – Injected – DOHC 4 val/cyl – 7700 redline
o   6 speed semi-automatic – RWD
o   1985 lbs - 183.1 in long,  78.7 in wide,  40.2 in tall
o   top speed ~211 mph
After the failure of the 1998 V12 LM to finish Le Mans, BMW Motorsport partnered with the Williams F1 team to build a more competitive car. The result was the V12 LMR, which shared its chassis, revolutionary raised footbox, and McLaren F1–derived engine with the V12 LM but featured improved cooling and a novel thin rollhoop. #42 won its debut at the 12 Hours of Sebring for the BMW-Schnitzer team in the hands of Jörg Müller, JJ Lehto and Tom Kristensen. Later that year #15, driven by Joachim Winkelhock, Pierluigi Martini, and Yannick Dalmas, took the checkered flag at Le Mans, finishing only one lap ahead of the Toyota GT-One and five laps ahead of the Audi R8R.

Posted Image
1997 McLaren F1 GTR
o   591 bhp* 6.0 liter V12 – Injected – DOHC 4 val/cyl – 8900 redline
o   6 speed sequential manual – RWD
o   2018 lbs – 194.2 in long, 75.6 in wide, 47.2 in tall
o   top speed 207 mph^
While McLaren designed the F1 exclusively for the road, they eventually made safety and cooling modifications so it could race in (and win) the ‘95 BPR series. That same year a F1 GTR driven by JJ Lehto, Masanori Sekiya, and Yannick Dalmas outlasted prototypes to win Le Mans outright. Upgrades from BMW helped to win a 2nd BPR title in ‘96, but the GTR finished 3rd in class at Le Mans behind the race-designed 911 GT1 before the “long tail” GTR was able to recapture the class trophy for McLaren in ‘97. JJ Lehto, Steve Soper, and Nelson Piquet were running well in #42 until a spin ended their ‘97 Le Mans race, while their team car finished 2nd in class for BMW-Schnitzer.
* Power was controlled by a restrictor. The racing tuned engine could produce around 900 bhp unrestricted.
^ Theoretical top speed. Achieved 197 on the Mulsanne straight.

Posted Image
1996 BMW M3 GTR
o   ~380 bhp 3.2 liter Inline 6 – Injected – DOHC 4 val/cyl
o   6-speed manual – RWD
o   2300 lbs
Although the E36 M3 debuted in 1992, it didn’t race until the 1995 season when BMW fitted wider tires and new pistons and camshafts to an otherwise stock M3 and won the ‘95 (D2) and ‘96 ADAC GT Cup, which had replaced DTM in 1993. In the US, BMW-PTG made additional upgrades and went on to win the 1996 IMSA GTS-2 Manufacturer trophy and sweep all titles in 1997 (GTS-3 with Bill Auberlen) and 1998 (GT3 with Mark Simo plus every GT2 race they entered) as well as the inaugural 1999 ALMS GT class. Engine trouble kept Dieter Quester, Manfred Wollgarten and Pete Halsmer from finishing the 1996 24 Hours of Daytona in car #7, while the team car took 3rd in class.

Posted Image
1987 BMW M3 Group A
o   300 bhp 2.3 liter Inline 4 – Injected – DOHC 4 val/cyl – 8500 Redline
o   5-speed manual – RWD
o   2116 lbs – 171.5 in long, 66.1 in wide – 53.9 in tall
o   0-60 in 5.5s – top speed 155 mph
In order to enter various touring car championships in 1987, BMW’s M department built a new road and race car based on the E30 3 Series. The first M3 was instantly successful against the Ford Sierra Cosworth and the Mercedes 190E, its on-track rivals. It went on to dominate touring car racing for years, winning the inaugural World Touring Car Championship, 8 European titles and 60 national titles, plus 4 wins each at the 24 Hours Nürburgring and Spa, making it the most successful touring car ever.* Car #46 was driven by Roberto Ravaglia and Emanuele Pirro at Calder Park in Melbourne, placing 2nd on their way to winning the 1987 WTCC for BMW-Schnitzer.
* According to BMW USA.

Posted Image
1983 Brabham-BMW BT52
o   ~600 bhp^ 1.5 liter turbo Inline 4 – Injected – DOHC 4 val/cyl – 11500 redline
o   5 speed manual – RWD
o   1191 lbs – 170.2 in long, 71.8 in wide, 39 in tall
o   Top speed 211 mph
Although BMW earned their first F1 win as an engine constructor in 1982, the 1983 season really gave the M division’s turbo four (with the world’s first digital engine management) a chance to shine as ground effect aero was outlawed, forcing teams to restart with a blank slate. Cradled in Gordon Murray’s aluminum and carbon fiber BT52 chassis, the engine powered Nelson Piquet to the driver’s championship (two points ahead of Alain Prost), a first for a turbo engine. His teammate Riccardo Patrese earned a pole and a win of his own driving car #6, but ultimately poor reliability kept the team in 3rd for the constructor’s title, behind Ferrari and Renault.
^  At the start of the season the engine produced around 600 bhp, but by the end of the year put out 740 bhp in races and around 800 bhp in qualifying trim, thanks in part to new Wintershall fuel. The same engine would be used with only minor tweaks until 1989, eventually putting out over 1200 bhp on 80 psi of boost for the Benetton team in 1986. It is widely considered the most powerful F1 engine ever.

Posted Image
1979 BMW M1 Procar
o   470 bhp 3.5 liter Inline 6 – Injected – DOHC 4 val/cyl – 9000 redline
o   5 speed manual – RWD
o   2249 lbs – 174.7 in long, 83 in wide, 44.9 in tall
o   0-60 in 3.5 s* – ¼ mile in 11.6s* – top speed 193 mph
In 1978, BMW cleverly created the Procar racing series to justify the construction of 400 BMW M1s, a new group 4 and 5 homologation requirement. The series ran before F1 races, pitting the weekend’s top 5 drivers against each other in identical factory M1s. Alan Jones drove #27^, finishing 2nd (behind Neslon Piquet) in the 1980 standings, the same year he won the F1 driver’s championship. Unfortunately, the bankruptcy of Lamborghini (who was building the Giugiaro-penned road car) delayed the M1, leaving it outdated by the time it could legally compete. Despite this, a Warhol-painted M1 took 2nd in class and 6th overall at Le Mans 1979, and the M1 won the IMSA GTO class in 1981.
^ This livery is from the 1979 Hockenheim race, where Jones started from pole but did not finish. No tobacco sponsorship was allowed, so cars ran with the colors but not the text of the Marlboro logo.
* Performance figures as tested by Car and Driver, December 1981.

Posted Image
1975 BMW 3.5 CSL Group 4
o   430 bhp 3.5 liter Inline 6 – Injected – DOHC 4 val/cyl – 8600 redline
o   5 speed manual – RWD
o   2341 lbs
o   0-60 in 4.4 s – top speed 168 mph
The 3.0 CSL was the first car to be constructed and raced by BMW Motorsport GmbH. It won the 1973 European Touring Car Championship for the “M” division, as well as five more ETCC titles for privateer teams such as Alpina and Schnitzer. With a larger 3.5L engine, it was also raced in group 4 by BMW of North America, winning 1975 IMSA races at Sebring, Laguna Seca, Riverside, Daytona, and Talladega but ultimately losing by a few points to the Brumos Porsches. #25 was driven to victory by Brian Redman, Allan Moffat, Sam Posey, and Hans Stuck at the 12 hours of Sebring, BMW’s first major win in America. Ronnie Peterson was also listed, but never actually took the wheel.

And lastly a group shot of my display:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12141 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:18 PM

Stunning models and Displayed so Good.They all look Great. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yahoo: :occasion14:

#34 OFFLINE   joeyo387

joeyo387

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:53 PM

View Postdrivinghermad, on 29 February 2016 - 11:18 PM, said:

Stunning models and Displayed so Good.They all look Great. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yahoo: :occasion14:

Thanks! Sometimes I have them packed away and use the whole case for my road cars, but it works out pretty well now that I can do half and half...
Posted Image

#35 OFFLINE   Ramon

Ramon

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 261 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart / Kyosho / OTTO models / GT Spirit / Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of: ro

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

wooow! fabulous collection! cheers! :occasion14:

#36 OFFLINE   g3org3y

g3org3y

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2323 posts
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:54 AM

Great collection.Thanks for sharing. The McLaren is the star imo. :10:
Posted ImageBecause fanboy.

#37 OFFLINE   joeyo387

joeyo387

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

Here's one more addition to the collection:

Attached File  IMG_1960.JPG   142.35K   0 downloads

1985 BMW 635 CSI Group A
o   290 bhp 3.5 liter Inline 6 – Injected – SOHC 2 val/cyl – 6200 Redline
o   5-speed manual – RWD
o   2613 lbs – 189.6 in long, 67.9 in wide – 53.7 in tall
o   0-60 in 6.9s – top speed 155 mph
Because of the success of the 3.0 CSL racecars during the late 70s, the E24 6-series didn’t get a chance to compete on the track until 1980 even though it had replaced the venerable 3.0 CSi as BMW’s flagship coupe back in 1976. It won the 1981 ETCC title under group 2 rules, then returned in 1983 under group A rules and battled the TWR Jaguar XJS, Volvo 240 and Alfetta GTV/6 for the next four years, winning two more ETCC titles in 1983 and 1986 as well as six national touring car championships. Car #5 was driven to victory by Roberto Ravaglia, Gerhard Berger, and Marc Surer at the 1985 24 Hours of Spa, giving team BMW-Schnitzer their first win of the season.
- Diecast model by Minichamps.
Posted Image

#38 OFFLINE   the1

the1

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 809 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: ro

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

Great addition. Congrats!
Love the display. What kind of IKEA cabinet is it (if IKEA)?

'Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.'
Steve McQueen

#39 OFFLINE   joeyo387

joeyo387

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

View Postthe1, on 14 July 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

Great addition. Congrats!
Love the display. What kind of IKEA cabinet is it (if IKEA)?

You're right on. Hemnes from IKEA. It comes with wooden shelves but they sell pre-cut glass shelves for it. I drilled some extra holes to fit more. Also added the LED strip.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.