#1 OFFLINE   Enilder

Enilder

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

Some of you know that I recently purchased Zonda R and NSX. Well, it kind of fell off and I can just get my money back and walk away. So I started look at alternatives to spend my precious ~$370 if nothing works out with the seller.

I exchanged several PMs with one of members here ( :wavetowel2:) and asked about zinc pest and other issues with diecast. I was informed that the chances of these things happening to diecasts are slim. So I began to look for resins and got some questions to super collectors (who owns lots of combinations of diecasts and resin models or owned both of them for a long time).

Are there any known issues of resins? It seems like all resin models are sealed but correct me if I am wrong. GMP, CMC, Autoart, Minichamps are diecasts (I think) and Versus, MR, Looksmart, Peako(?) are resins (I think).

I am trying to find some justifications of maybe looking into resin models over diecasts. I primarily bought Zonda R because of details and NSX...one of my dream cars so I am big into details, which obviously means more $.

Thanks. :)

[edit]

Simple list to keep myself and other "newbies" aware of manufacturers.

-Diecast: Autoart, GMP, CMC, Minichamps, Versus, Hot Wheels (HWE), Kyosho, Maisto, Norev
-Resin: APM, MR, Looksmart, Peako, Spark, BBR, OTTO

Edited by Enilder, 11 August 2011 - 06:03 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 Guest_[KRAFTIG]_*

Guest_[KRAFTIG]_*

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

I'm not a super collector but a have a few resins in my collection.  Unfortunately nothing that approaches MR, Peako, and other manufactures at this price point.  My Revell and Spark (under $200) models are holding up well, after a few years on the shelf...

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   S40

S40

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

Versus aren't necessarily resin. Some of their cars are heavily modified diecasts. The other companies you speak of are resin.

Resin can have a better shape, offer tight shutlines (since they're sealed) and you don't worry about doors becoming loose over time which can detract from the model. Resin, generally, is more expensive than diecast with the exception of Otto models.

Resin is typically an acquired taste. Many collectors prefer diecast over resin due to the opening parts which allows the model to be much more hands on. People who buy resin enjoy its exclusivity, doesn't really mind that it's sealed, and typically has superior paint work to diecasts.

Before buying resin, I'd recommend seeing it in person (if possible) because the first (actually it was the second*) time I did, it was truly jaw dropping. (BBR 458 in Tristrato Yellow).

Occasionally the model you want is only offered in resin, where at that point, you've got no other choice. That was actually my first encounter with resin (Rolls Royce Phantom Mansory) where I just ordered it. But some of the BBR and MR models look absolutely fantastic in person.

#4 OFFLINE   El Cheapo

El Cheapo

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1221 posts
  • Interests:Long walks on the beach. But not really.
  • Favorite Brands:Biante, Classic Carlectables
  • Proud Citizen of: nz

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

I haven't heard of any issues with resin, though funny/horrible things can happen when company's get the mix wrong. Biante's first 1:18 resin models arrived in Aussie shops recently (Ford Falcon BF Cobra), and from what I hear a majority of them have arrived shattered a la glass. I chortle at the imagery in my mind, but I'm sure shops country-wide (not to mention any that went overseas) wont be quite so happy....

S40 is basically on the money though.
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   audirs6

audirs6

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3108 posts
  • Interests:Photography
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart and CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: si

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

If you are scared of zinc pest.. Then you should really buy only resin models..
But... For now here is only arround 20 known modells that they have zinc pest! So don't worry abbout that!
Here on this forum you can find this list.. I think I started this conversation..

Resin models are verry expensive... I don't know how Otto models is doing it.. But if they can make models for 49€ or 39€ .. Why the hell BBR and MR want 400€ ??
Is becouse they buy licences for doining models? Or they want a lot of profit...

At the moment I have three resin model.. BBR Enzo and 458 Italia and MR Supersport.. I was impressed when I saw pictures of new MR and BBR modells.. I will buy some more models from them.
BBR Enzo.. It is full open model.. And it have really nice details! 458 Italia is sealed modell. And a little bit boring modell :)
I posted some photos here.. at the bottom: http://www.diecastxc...rss-collection/

#6 OFFLINE   Enilder

Enilder

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

Thank you very much for all replies. I already knew that resin models are going to be more expensive.

I have a mixed feeling about dropping a lot of money on a single resin model. Though, I wish I can locate a shop that carries resin models. A shop near where I am currently doesn't carry high-end models. :(

I did see that thread about zinc pest and only handful are going through this. It's going to be a difficult decision between diecast vs resin for me. Too many pros and cons and I simply can't give up details on diecast nor resin sides.

I probably should mention that I was going to buy McLaren with Zonda R (instead of NSX with Zonda R due to availability) and I realized that I am already in ~$400+ range!  :wavetowel2:

#7 OFFLINE   S40

S40

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

It's not really a diecast vs. resin debate. There's no saying that you can't have both. For now, since you're just staring off, I may recommend looking at diecasts first. See how detailed diecasts cures your appetite for collecting, and if you feel hungry for more, then explore resins. I think that's what most of us did and I'll speak for myself, but I'm happy collecting both. If I feel like exploring some details on my opening CMCs I will, but if I just want to admire the stance and paint on my BBR 458 I can do that as well. There's no right or wrong and you can have your cake and eat it too in this situation.

#8 OFFLINE   Enilder

Enilder

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

View PostS40, on 09 August 2011 - 06:26 PM, said:

It's not really a diecast vs. resin debate. There's no saying that you can't have both. For now, since you're just staring off, I may recommend looking at diecasts first. See how detailed diecasts cures your appetite for collecting, and if you feel hungry for more, then explore resins. I think that's what most of us did and I'll speak for myself, but I'm happy collecting both. If I feel like exploring some details on my opening CMCs I will, but if I just want to admire the stance and paint on my BBR 458 I can do that as well. There's no right or wrong and you can have your cake and eat it too in this situation.

I understand that both of diecast and resins have pros and cons. I did start off collecting diecasts (less than 10) but nothing really as expensive as Zonda R. I guess my curiosity of resin models started this thread.  :wavetowel2:

I was looking at APM models (I think it's resin) and their surface appears to be very coarse. Is this how it is for most of resins or one of few? (http://www.autoplace...deriagt3/03.jpg) I think APM makes quality models judging by jaw-dropping prices but just a thought.

#9 OFFLINE   S40

S40

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

Some APM are reworked Hot Wheels cars.

Edit: As corrected by Phatboi, the above statement is totally incorrect.

Edited by S40, 09 August 2011 - 07:37 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2453 posts
  • Interests:Just started on Instagram, give me a follow: @phatboi.modelcars
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Models, FrontiArt, Peako, BBR
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

View PostS40, on 09 August 2011 - 06:39 PM, said:

Some APM are reworked Hot Wheels cars.
Umm .. what do you mean by this ?
No APM models are based on Mattel cars, they are all scratch built resin.

View PostEnilder, on 09 August 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

I think APM makes quality models judging by jaw-dropping prices but just a thought.
Shouldn't really judge a manufacturer based on its price. There are a lot of factors which make up the end price. In APM's case, it has a lot to do with the fact that most of their models are limited to 40 - 50 pieces only.

Edited by Phatboi101, 09 August 2011 - 06:52 PM.

#11 ONLINE   S40

S40

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

I know APM made a bunch of transkits for Hot Wheels so I thought their models were Hot Wheels cars that used these transkits and then they offered repaints and other such items?

#12 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2453 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

Not exactly.
Yes they make transkits for Hot Wheels, Minichamps, AUTOart, Norev, Kyosho and other brands.
They don't actually build models for you with these transkits, they only sell them as kits and you build it yourself. I have asked APM if they would build me a model with a transkit and they declined.
There main focus is building 100% scratch built resin models in limited numbers.
You are getting confused with what Versus used to offer (building and re-painting service), they would build these models with transkits made by APM.

Edited by Phatboi101, 09 August 2011 - 07:05 PM.

#13 ONLINE   S40

S40

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for clarifying this Phatboi.

#14 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2453 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:06 PM

No problem.

Back to the topic, if you are really keen on a resin I would suggest you start off by seeing if you're Interested in any offering by BBR. As S40 has mentioned, he was very happy with his BBR 458 which looks great in yellow. BBR resins IMO are good value especially if you can hunt one down for less than retail. They will be releasing the 458 GT2 & GT3 shortly which I will be interested in.

#15 ONLINE   nido997

nido997

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1238 posts
  • Interests:Porsche, German Cars, Modelcars, Motorsport
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt/Kyosho/Minichamps/Norev/UT
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

if a resin model falls off , you will see 1000 Pieces on the floor ,as if the Modelcar was made from glass ! :S
a resin Modelcar´s shape is in general great , but...resin is still kind of plastic ! :( and they are Sealed !  :wavetowel2:
Don´t get me wrong ,I have 5 resin modelcars and 2 are coming in the next few weeks .. but still ,I prefer the "old" Die-Casts ! And I don´t understand why the majority of resin Modelcars are sooo expansive !

Edited by nido997, 09 August 2011 - 09:38 PM.

PORSCHE IS MORE THAN A CAR
PORSCHE IS A PHILOSOPHY

Posted Image
I´m having a Time - Out from collecting Die-Casts right now !
I´m selling my WHOLE collection here : http://www.diecastxc...porsche-models/

#16 OFFLINE   Enilder

Enilder

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:06 PM

Very informative. Thank you guys. I've worked with carbon fiber, fiberglass, resins, etc. (composites) and it's quite surprising how fragile these are. I know these aren't elastic so either it cracks/breaks or strong enough to hold itself together. Considering how many pieces are holding this puzzle and sizes of individual components, I can only imagine what would happen if one drops it.

I am not going to lie. I am in LOVE with Lambo Aventador by MR but I wanted to obtain better understanding of what it is that I am buying. The price of this MR product (as many of you know) is mid-hundreds (USD) and while it's tempting, I am a little bit scared at the same time due to how fragile it is.

Also, I don't think all resin kits are sealed as previously mentioned in this thread.

And I agree, 458 GT2 is  :wavetowel2:

#17 OFFLINE   emmanouil

emmanouil

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3522 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: gr

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:51 AM

@Enilder
You bought Autoart NSX and Zonta R and you want to return them?
These two models are really very good by all means. If you know what exactly you didn’t like in these models, I guess you will be disappointed for purschasing a resin model

#18 OFFLINE   giamino

giamino

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2825 posts
  • Favorite Brands:kyosho, maisto, bbr
  • Proud Citizen of: my

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:32 AM

As some has mentioned, BBR resins are great and not as pricey and MR, Meko or APM. Peako is great too but currently only have the Zonda Cinque and Gumpert. With that said, I would recommend getting a BBR DIECAST instead of resin. You just can't beat diecast.

And all resin models are sealed. Resin kits are not sealed because it's just a transkit for a diecast.

And since you're "in love" with the Aventador, here are some pics for you. Lol.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   audirs6

audirs6

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3108 posts
  • Interests:Photography
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart and CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: si

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:09 AM

Damn Giamino.. Don't poste those picz... I LOVE IT!!!! I just can't wait to order it :) Probably next month.. I'am in love :)

@ Enilder
Don't worry for zinc pest.. I have 250 - 300 models in my collection and at the moment the only cars whic have zinc pest was Norev Audi A6 ( Black.. I don't know why silver is still OK then ) and DE autoart Porsche 911 997 GT3 RS ( Black with oraneg stripes ). Both 1:18 .. I know this is the same as you burn your 100€ .. But now I don't need to buy another black or silver 997 becouse I need parts for other 997 for a project ;) Sometimes zincpest is good :P

#20 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31219 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

Yep, I'd not worry too much about zinc pest, I have two cars on the list & they are both fine, I had another one too (Black DE AUTOart 997 GT3 RS) that car was fine too.

I think it depends on the collector, or maybe how many modlels you have Posted Image I think to go from opening diecasts to a sealed resin is a big step really, I still like to open some of my cars up every now & then to look at the details, especially if it's a car I'll never get to see in real life.

I do have some resin models & they are great, but they are OTTO's & didn't cost me loads of money. If I were to spend a lot on a resin (as I'm planning to soon) a want to see inside it, so I'm going for an open top car to start..

View Postemmanouil, on 10 August 2011 - 02:51 AM, said:

@Enilder
You bought Autoart NSX and Zonta R and you want to return them?
These two models are really very good by all means. If you know what exactly you didn't like in these models, I guess you will be disappointed for purschasing a resin model

I was wondering what happened too.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#21 OFFLINE   Enilder

Enilder

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

@emmanouil: the seller ran out of Red NSX so I have a right to cancel my order all together. However, after much thoughts, I think I will pull the trigger on diecasts. I think I will be buying...

Zonda R (You already knew that)

and...

McLaren F1 in silver (original/debut color), which will cost me ~$50 more so I am at ~$420 now :( I hope my money is well-spent.

@giamino: :drool: How can you tell diecast vs resin and who makes that? I am actually in love with gunmetal/grey color but regardless, it's truly great looking car!!!

@Craig T: What is OTTO? Sorry...

You are right. I am a big time detail guy so open-ability is a big thing to me. I knew some resin models can be opened up hence the thread. :)

Many thanks to collectors!!!

#22 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31219 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

OTTO make resin models, they're based in France :)

Yep looking at your list the money seems well spent, don't rule resin models out later though! They are still very nice.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#23 OFFLINE   Enilder

Enilder

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

View PostCraig T, on 10 August 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

Yep looking at your list the money seems well spent, don't rule resin models out later though! They are still very nice.

Thanks Craig. I will look into OTTO and see what they got to offer. I sure will own at least 1 resin model in near future. Cheers  :wavetowel2:

#24 OFFLINE   nido997

nido997

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1238 posts
  • Interests:Porsche, German Cars, Modelcars, Motorsport
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt/Kyosho/Minichamps/Norev/UT
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:03 AM

View PostEnilder, on 10 August 2011 - 05:38 PM, said:

View PostCraig T, on 10 August 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

Thanks Craig. I will look into OTTO and see what they got to offer. I sure will own at least 1 resin model in near future. Cheers  :wavetowel2:

well you MUST own at least one OTTO if you´re into frensh cars or VWs .... :)
I have 3 OTTO and 2 SPARK , and I ´m waiting for 2 other OTTO .....
speaking about Zinc pest , not all Die Cast have that problem ! so that´s not that "dangerous" and that doesn´t make me switch to Resin Modelcars ! I have many Kyosho BMW DE ,2x Porsche 997 GT3 RS DE and Revell 850 CSI and they are fine so far ( I hope that lasts forever ! :P)
PORSCHE IS MORE THAN A CAR
PORSCHE IS A PHILOSOPHY

Posted Image
I´m having a Time - Out from collecting Die-Casts right now !
I´m selling my WHOLE collection here : http://www.diecastxc...porsche-models/

#25 OFFLINE   Star56

Star56

• DX Community
  • 31 posts
  • Favorite Brands:autoart

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:07 AM

I love my resin Yellow Bird!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.