Exoto - Tony Keusseyan & Co. - Exoto - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums - Page 2

Exoto - Tony Keusseyan & Co.

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   workhurts

workhurts

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorcycles and tennis
  • Favorite Brands:PMA, Kyosho, Exoto & CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

Wonder what would happen if they didn't produce a model for years?  Would they still attempt to charge you 20% for canceling an order?  Also, what percentage of the retail price are the charging for pre-orders now anyway?

Is there really any reason at all to pre-order anything from them?  They're service on items 'kinda' in-stock is atrocious at best so who would even both with something they may or may not produce sometime this century.

Thier terms and conditions say cancelation of an order.  I guess they're concluding that a pre-order is an order?  I'll also suggest that you use your credit card when making all Paypal transactions.

I'm still not sure whether these guys are just thieves or super incompitent.  I'd dispute the 20% charge with your credit card company.  If the thing was close to being produced and was going to ship soon then yeh, I can understand that.  Thats why they charge you the remainder when things are being shipped to the warehouse.  I haven't bought directly from them in a while simply because nothing new seems to go on a real sale.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 OFFLINE   fredapplerot

fredapplerot

• DX Community
  • 7 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

Way back in early 2002, long before Exoto fell into the abyss, I "subscribed" to their First Heat Can-Am collection, which I think numbered eight cars. At the time each car was to have cost $169.95 and included a rolling chassis at no extra charge. Amusingly, the bonus chassis was thrown in as a thank-you for our patience... Typical promises on one car released every other month, starting later that year. Of course I got the 917/30 and 2E, but that's where it all seemed to end.

Fast forward to 2011 and I notice that my Exoto account still lists my pre-order for this collection, but does not specify exactly what I will eventually receive. Not only that, but the pricing has risen exponentially from the original amount. Currently I seem to be on the hook for $2939.25 but since Exoto are now asking nearly $600.00 per car, I guess the sky's the limit as to how much they might eventually try to charge.

By now it has become pretty obvious that Exoto will never produce another model in this range, what with pesky little things like copyright infringement lawsuits from Ferrari, Chaparral, etc.

Although I've considered cancelling my "subscription", I am now worried that they might try to hit me with an absurd 20% restocking fee. I guess it would probably be best to let sleeping dogs lie, but I have the nasty sense of a time bomb ticking in the background.

Suggestions?

Edited by fredapplerot, 16 September 2011 - 04:03 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   speedy

speedy

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 474 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, AutoArt, UT, MR
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

i have had seven models direct from Exoto over the last couple of years, all the models i ordered were in stock & i had no problems with them, i did have a UPS parcel from them end up in Germany when i phoned up Exoto they were quite helpful, the model arrived ok in the end & was a result of UPS putting it on the wrong plane.

i don't know why people have so many problems, surly people know not to pre-order from Exoto as it's VERY well known that it can take years for them to release a model, i myself cannot wait for the Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead to be released :)

Link to My model collection here on diecastxchange com

#29 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10816 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that is has value for my money

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:34 AM

View Postmr-big, on 17 September 2011 - 08:33 AM, said:

i have had seven models direct from Exoto over the last couple of years, all the models i ordered were in stock & i had no problems with them, i did have a UPS parcel from them end up in Germany when i phoned up Exoto they were quite helpful, the model arrived ok in the end & was a result of UPS putting it on the wrong plane.

i don't know why people have so many problems, surly people know not to pre-order from Exoto as it's VERY well known that it can take years for them to release a model, i myself cannot wait for the Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead to be released :)
How long are you willing to wait? I have the 2003 catalog and it is listed on it!
Funny how you are the only one that does not have an issue with them. Also, how can you defend the re-stocking fee on an item that was never delivered or never made for that matter. IMO, it is criminal to do so, and I hope some hungry attorney takes then to court an they are punished for it.
Frigging thieves!!!!

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

#30 OFFLINE   fredapplerot

fredapplerot

• DX Community
  • 7 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:09 PM

I don't want to completely disparage Exoto. About a dozen years ago they lifted the diecast industry onto an entirely new level of quality and detail. For that alone I think they deserve a huge amount of credit, for without them we would probably still be getting Bburagos, Maistos, etc. with chrome dashboards, engine compartments consisting of a few of lumps of molded plastic, wheel spokes the scale thickness of your arm and mysterious paint flaws aplenty.

Over the years I've probably bought a couple dozen models directly from Exoto and, despite a couple of instances of delays and wild excuses, all transactions were ultimately satisfactory.

My guess is that TK didn't count on competition (CMC) preventing him from realizing his maniacal fantasies of an an exclusive market. An unwise decision to sell directly to the public saw his retail pipeline vanish. A manufacturing facility in the UAE further squeezed financial resources just as the worldwide economy was getting ready to take a colossal dump.

When egos and money collide the result is seldom pretty. I think TK & company painted themselves into a corner with questionable business decisions and their reaction to that situation is the monster we see now.

Anyway, I'm just going to let my credit card expire. That should solve the issue of Exoto trying to charge me for something that will never exist.

Edited by fredapplerot, 17 September 2011 - 12:09 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   Diecast24/7

Diecast24/7

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6888 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exact Detail

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:10 PM

Oh, okay. You've never had a problem so therefore neither has anyone else. They're all just making it up.  :rolleyes:

View Postfredapplerot, on 16 September 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

Way back in early 2002, long before Exoto fell into the abyss, I "subscribed" to their First Heat Can-Am collection, which I think numbered eight cars. At the time each car was to have cost $169.95 and included a rolling chassis at no extra charge. Amusingly, the bonus chassis was thrown in as a thank-you for our patience... Typical promises on one car released every other month, starting later that year. Of course I got the 917/30 and 2E, but that's where it all seemed to end.

Fast forward to 2011 and I notice that my Exoto account still lists my pre-order for this collection, but does not specify exactly what I will eventually receive. Not only that, but the pricing has risen exponentially from the original amount. Currently I seem to be on the hook for $2939.25 but since Exoto are now asking nearly $600.00 per car, I guess the sky's the limit as to how much they might eventually try to charge.

By now it has become pretty obvious that Exoto will never produce another model in this range, what with pesky little things like copyright infringement lawsuits from Ferrari, Chaparral, etc.

Although I've considered cancelling my "subscription", I am now worried that they might try to hit me with an absurd 20% restocking fee. I guess it would probably be best to let sleeping dogs lie, but I have the nasty sense of a time bomb ticking in the background.

Suggestions?

Yeah, I think I'd sit tight and just dare them to charge me something. It sounds like being proactive and cancelling will get you hit with the 20% BS.
Justin

#32 OFFLINE   speedy

speedy

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:35 PM

View Postacisne, on 17 September 2011 - 09:34 AM, said:

How long are you willing to wait? I have the 2003 catalog and it is listed on it!
Funny how you are the only one that does not have an issue with them. Also, how can you defend the re-stocking fee on an item that was never delivered or never made for that matter. IMO, it is criminal to do so, and I hope some hungry attorney takes then to court an they are punished for it.
Frigging thieves!!!!

as long as it takes, i have never pre-ordered from Exoto, i asked around & was warned off pre-ordering from them, so i never have done.

i have read their T&C's on the site & i wouldn't pre-order due to the re-stocking fee, if you pre-order then you are agreeing to these T&C's, if they do get taken to court & shut down, you won't get your money back anyway.

View PostDiecast24/7, on 17 September 2011 - 12:10 PM, said:

Oh, okay. You've never had a problem so therefore neither has anyone else. They're all just making it up.  :rolleyes:

erm, where did i say that anyone was making anything up or even suggest they were doing so ?

is it wrong for me to say that i have not had any problems with Exoto ?

i was a little bothered when i first ordered from them directly, but i took peoples advice & only ordered a model that was in stock & as i have said i have not had any problems with them.

Edited by mr-big, 17 September 2011 - 12:42 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   Diecast24/7

Diecast24/7

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6888 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exact Detail

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:16 PM

View Postmr-big, on 17 September 2011 - 12:35 PM, said:

is it wrong for me to say that i have not had any problems with Exoto?

I haven't had any problems with Exoto either. But what does that have to do with this thread?
Justin

#34 OFFLINE   speedy

speedy

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

View PostDiecast24/7, on 17 September 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

View Postmr-big, on 17 September 2011 - 12:35 PM, said:

is it wrong for me to say that i have not had any problems with Exoto?

I haven't had any problems with Exoto either. But what does that have to do with this thread?

well it's a forum, thus a place for debate & opinions,

some people may have had problems with Exoto & other people may have not, nobody says anything if they have never had a issue with a shop or retailer, if i had had a problem with Exoto everyone would know about it,thats for sure ! however as i have not had any problems with Exoto i am mealy stating my opinion, i'm not going to complain about Exoto when i have not had any issues with them.

#35 OFFLINE   JSB 33

JSB 33

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10432 posts
  • Interests:Family, Cars (1:1 & 1:43) Automotive books, Guns, yard work and gardening
  • Favorite Brands:M/C, Spark, Bizarre

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:06 PM

Suggestions?

Do what I did.
I called my CC company and told them everything and asked them to suspend any charges past, present and future from Exoto.
They were more than happy to do it.

I have been beating the drum for years, warning people not to deal with Exoto Direct, mainly on pre orders of cars that are never going to get made or that will not be delivered withing 3 months of advertising it.
I have seen far too many people accepting the fact that Exoto has charged them up front for something that is in no way ready to be shipped.
How foolish.
Jeff

Like things in a smaller scale? Try Scale143

Click on my banner to see my website

Posted Image

#36 OFFLINE   speedy

speedy

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

View PostJSB 33, on 17 September 2011 - 03:06 PM, said:

Suggestions?

Do what I did.
I called my CC company and told them everything and asked them to suspend any charges past, present and future from Exoto.
They were more than happy to do it.

I have been beating the drum for years, warning people not to deal with Exoto Direct, mainly on pre orders of cars that are never going to get made or that will not be delivered withing 3 months of advertising it.
I have seen far too many people accepting the fact that Exoto has charged them up front for something that is in no way ready to be shipped.
How foolish.

i have to agree,

also why is everyone using paypal to buy from Exoto ?

paypal is one of the worst systems to use, a credit card is by far the best way to protect yourself from buying from anyone.

#37 OFFLINE   Bill Allen

Bill Allen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Favorite Brands:cmc

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

If you like the Exoto products as I do, then there is one alternative that makes sense.  If they have the model in stock, buy it with complete confidence at Replicarz, one of this site's major sponsor.  I knew there was trouble with Exoto but the sheer volume of complaints is surprising. Use your heads and spend your hard-earned money wisely.

#38 OFFLINE   VeeDub Matt

VeeDub Matt

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6036 posts
  • Interests:Theology, motoring, and art
  • Favorite Brands:Spark, HPI, Bizarre, and Premium ClassiXXs

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:22 PM

View PostBill Allen, on 17 September 2011 - 09:45 PM, said:

If you like the Exoto products as I do, then there is one alternative that makes sense.  If they have the model in stock, buy it with complete confidence at Replicarz, one of this site's major sponsor.  I knew there was trouble with Exoto but the sheer volume of complaints is surprising. Use your heads and spend your hard-earned money wisely.

Excellent suggestion. Replicarz is definitely the way to go.

#39 OFFLINE   gt man

gt man

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 411 posts
  • Interests:travel,gtp racing , lemans racing, F1,
  • Favorite Brands:auto Art , Exoto, Minichamps, Mattel f1
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:37 AM

contact the attorney generals office wire fraud , municpal police for that area , county prosecutor office and centainly paypal. i had a huge order with them once , and tony tried to play games . i shut down his paypal account for 72 hours and was fedx overnight at no cost to drop the complaint . a squeaky wheel get oil.if you like exoto products go motor bids has by far the best deal on their cars

Edited by gt man, 12 December 2011 - 06:38 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   guggga

guggga

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2500 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference.
  • Proud Citizen of: in

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:01 AM

^^LOL! You da man!  :clap:
People like them need to be taught a lesson!

#41 OFFLINE   silverstar189

silverstar189

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 724 posts
  • Favorite Brands:cmc & exoto

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

View PostBill Allen, on 10 September 2011 - 10:37 PM, said:

What a shame...The quality of products remains high and I would love to do business with them but all these complaints... It's pretty basic.  If you have products people want, why damage your success with poor customer service and relations?

This. For the love of me I can't understand why they continue with this way of dealing with their customers. They're damaging their reputation over such comparatively small amounts.

#42 OFFLINE   bigprop

bigprop

• DX Community
  • 48 posts
  • Favorite Brands:xx
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:01 AM

Are the people from Exoto bloody stupid or something? I have bought from them in the past, having no real issues other than incredibly high shipping charges to Australia. I am on their mailing list & can't help but notice that they seem to be having a constant "fire sale" on most of their models which makes me think that they are desperate for sales. But, after reading this thread, I am not even remotely tempted to buy anything more from them, even if their prices are unbelievably good at the moment. I hope someone from Exoto is keeping tabs on this forum site & starts to address the many issues that are occurring. Us collectors are very finicky people!

#43 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts
  • Interests:Family. LFC. F1. WEC. Model Cars. Movies. The Grand Tour. Top Gear
  • Favorite Brands:Gulf & Martini Porsche's.
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:26 AM

View Postbigprop, on 16 June 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

Are the people from Exoto bloody stupid or something? I have bought from them in the past, having no real issues other than incredibly high shipping charges to Australia. I am on their mailing list & can't help but notice that they seem to be having a constant "fire sale" on most of their models which makes me think that they are desperate for sales. But, after reading this thread, I am not even remotely tempted to buy anything more from them, even if their prices are unbelievably good at the moment. I hope someone from Exoto is keeping tabs on this forum site & starts to address the many issues that are occurring. Us collectors are very finicky people!

Hi Pete

It seems quite a few guys on DX have trouble with exoto, there is quite a few threads also about it i think,  most seem to have bad experiences with them.. some don't have any problems at all. yes their shipping costs are high, And boy oh boy are they having a lot of sales lately,

I don't really Think they would check a forum like this to see who harps on about the sales techniques and shipping costs.  They are after all a business  and must make their cash some how..

But it doesn't make it right in any way shape or form how they treat their customers, i emailed them 3 times without 1 single reply about my Ford GT MK IV.  I ended up having to call them in California. But they do answer the phone.  

I ordered my Williams test car on the 12th of June, even when i checked today, the status just says approved, not shipped like you or i would expect after nearly 5 days.

But as you say... us collectors are finicky people!!    :lol:   :twocents:

Edited by bigdave7872, 16 June 2012 - 02:30 AM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" If one does not fail at times, Then one has not challenged himself "

Ferdinand Porsche.

My Showcase Pictures.... Click here

#44 OFFLINE   VeeDub Matt

VeeDub Matt

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6036 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:24 AM

Personally, I think Exoto does keep tabs here - as well as their Facebook group. They've been confronted point-blank on Facebook several times, which was always humorous to see how they would handle those sudden outbursts from disgruntled customers. Several times, the comments were simply deleted or not addressed.

The biggest issue with Exoto was their PreOrder system and their online orders. For some reason, things always got mixed up and customers' money magically disappeared. It always seemed to take Exoto and epically long time (6-12 months) to admit that they no longer have the model and issue a refund. Sadly enough, it required customers to contact the BBB and their credit card companies in order for Exoto to follow through on the refund. Otherwise, the California-based manufacturer would simply sit on your money by telling you that "the check was in the mail."

#45 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3678 posts
  • Interests:Cars and living life to the full
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, FrontiArt..... Well anything except minichamps

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

I just can't grasp how they can act like that.
It's disgusting if you ask me.
I really feel for any of you who have gone through this nightmare.
Posted Image

#46 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostRSfocus, on 18 June 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

i don't feel at all about anyone who is going through this. Writing has been on the wall for way too long and everyone has been warned. There have been numerous pleas for collectors to vote with their wallets and not to buy from them. Whoever disregarded all this and went on to still support them, did so at their own risk and deserves zero sympathy. The only thing that comes to mind to tell people who got screwed is TOLD YOU SO.

#47 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts
  • Interests:Family. LFC. F1. WEC. Model Cars. Movies. The Grand Tour. Top Gear
  • Favorite Brands:Gulf & Martini Porsche's.
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

View Postmrm, on 19 June 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

i don't feel at all about anyone who is going through this. Writing has been on the wall for way too long and everyone has been warned. There have been numerous pleas for collectors to vote with their wallets and not to buy from them. Whoever disregarded all this and went on to still support them, did so at their own risk and deserves zero sympathy. The only thing that comes to mind to tell people who got screwed is TOLD YOU SO.

MRM.. please don't take this the wrong way....learn when to let things go...we all know your opinions from what we have read. lets just leave it here and move forward.  :twocents:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" If one does not fail at times, Then one has not challenged himself "

Ferdinand Porsche.

My Showcase Pictures.... Click here

#48 OFFLINE   VeeDub Matt

VeeDub Matt

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6036 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

View Postmrm, on 19 June 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

You're a real class act. How does this sort of crap help to build this community? It doesn't. So, I'd suggest you stop this sort of rhetoric immediately. You're entitled to an opinion, but you don't have any grounds here for taking jabs at those who fell victim to Tony K's scheme.

Many newcomers become members here at DX simply because they're looking for advice or help regarding deals with Exoto that have gone bad. I would hate for a new member to read your derogatory remarks, and get the idea that you are an accurate representation of what DX stands for - because you are NOT. Mark my words.

#49 Guest_mrm_*

Guest_mrm_*

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

This is the very last thing I am going to say on the subject, exactly because some new member may not be familiar with the situation and stumble upon this little exchange and get the wrong impression. So I'll quote myself AGAIN:
There have been numerous pleas for collectors to vote with their wallets and not to buy from them. Whoever disregarded all this and went on to still support them, did so at their own risk and deserves zero sympathy.

I think it is pretty clear who I am talking about.

View Postbigdave7872, on 19 June 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

MRM.. please don't take this the wrong way....learn when to let things go...we all know your opinions from what we have read. lets just leave it here and move forward.  :twocents:

Thank you. I am not taking it the wrong way at all and I am trying to do exactly that, but it is really hard when someone's "goal of the day" is to drag you through the mud.

#50 OFFLINE   VeeDub Matt

VeeDub Matt

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6036 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

View Postmrm, on 19 June 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

...deserves zero sympathy.

In that case, neither do you.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to get off on someone else's financial frustrations. The bottom line is that you knew exactly what you were doing when you said what you did. Your opening line gives us enough of a snapshot into your divisive intentions:

View Postmrm, on 17 June 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

I know I will get flamed for saying this, everyone who may not get their order that they paid for, deserves it too. I would not feel bad for anyone who gets screwed by Exoto.

Your famous last words.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.