Screwed up flocking, need some help - Interior Works - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Screwed up flocking, need some help

I read what I could find

12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12133 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

I bought some flocking and as a trial I started with my Maisto Nova. I took the interior out, removed the seat. I sanded the floor of the Nova and cleaned off all the dust. Then I applied modelling glue to the floor and evenly spread it across the floor. Then I put the flocking on/everywhere throughout the floor. After a day of drying and letting it sit I looked at the result. The flocking was patchy, not even and there was excessive amounts of flocking that never adheared to the floor. So I am left with some areas that look OK, and other areas that look like dusty plastic.

This is not good, so I am going to start over and would like some help. Where did I screw up and what tips to make the flocking look more full and solid.

I have searched the custom resourses and really did not find anything that fully explains the process. I also searched online but that is what I followed the first time through.

If someone has a step by step picture tutorial, that would be graet. Thanks for the help!

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   bmwh548

bmwh548

• DX Community
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Diecast, PCs, electronics...
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of: ro

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

Personally I use paint instead of glue. I don't know how you applied it, but probably the glue was too thick and it wasn't evenly spread. Try to dilute it so that it has about the same thickness as modeling paint, use a larger brush to get an even coat. You could also use spray can adhesive.
Raidou posted his tutorial a few times (I think you can find it in his Ferrari FF topic as well).

#3 OFFLINE   tonyg54

tonyg54

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 5910 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart, Minichamps

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

When I built 1/24ths and flocked I used white glue which can also be thinned with water for a thinner, even application. I also sprinkled waay too much flocking and then moved it all around (basically like glitter when you were a kid) and then poured the excess that didn't stick onto a piece of paper which I then funneled back into the flocking container.

I hope this helps. Check out Scale Auto mag for more how-to's or forums.

#4 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12133 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

Not thinning the glue might be the issue. I did not do this. Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10816 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that is has value for my money

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

I also always use paint and not glue. I spray a pretty liberal coat and cake it with the blocking. I let it dry and shake off the excess to re-use it. I try to find paint that matches the color, it not, I use matt clear.

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

#6 OFFLINE   mark

mark

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

it's unanamous, then.  Paint *and* glue both will work!   :-)

And as these guys are saying, if you use white glue, thin it out with a little water and brush it on for a smooth coart.  I use the glue method myself - it's not too hard to get a good result.

Mark

#7 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12133 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, I think I got my answer. I think paint would be the easiest. Just use a lot of everything. I'll try it out tonight and will update as needed.

#8 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10816 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that is has value for my money

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

BTW, sift it if you have a strainer to get rid of clums and let it "rain" on the wet paint. Or better yet, if you plan to do this a lot, invest in a "flocker" (not the movie and it is not a typo). It sort of "injects" the flocking into the paint and gives you a better result.
I'll let you in on a secret:
http://www.donjer.co...detex/nylon.htm

Their stuff is great. I have used their paint, but it is too thick and too good for models. It is meant for stuff that are going to be (man)handled. I just get the other materials from them.

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

#9 OFFLINE   mark

mark

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

yeah - "let it rain" - kinda like this:

:wavetowel2:

Mark

#10 OFFLINE   SimonV8

SimonV8

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:Scale "detailed" models, and REAL muscle cars. Im also a mechanic.
  • Favorite Brands:GMP

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

I found this tutorial on you tube.

#11 OFFLINE   raidou

raidou

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2223 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Norev & OttO
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

3 BIG faults in this tutorial!

1st: put a sheet of paper under the object you want to work on. So you can catch all the surplus and fill it back instead of picking it up from the desk

2nd: to apply the fibers in a natural way you need to get them static. If you just trickle it (through your finger tips, a strainer or out of a small pouch, it falls only flat on the floor. The lowermost fibers will glue reclined side by side, all others fall off. The result is a thin and chaotic looking layer. But in a fabric floor you can feel the "hair" standing upside.
How to reach that? Put the fibres in a small plastic bottle with narrowed neck and a small opening tip (velvet powder for window colours already comes in this kind of bottles).
Posted Image

Pumping the fibers out by squeezing the bottle will make them electric static and they will stick to the ground just with an end, vertical close-packed.

Posted Image

3rd: NEVER touch the floor with your fingers now to compact the carpet. This would destroy all we've learned right now. :nice:
Wait a few minutes til paint/glue has dried, then turn the interior upside down and tap off the surplus.

If there's still a patch not covered close enough you can drop on a very little water/thinner in the first minutes to dissolve the ground in this area again and repeat the application.

Good luck!

#12 OFFLINE   Tonz

Tonz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Maisto
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

Dont you just love Raidou.

Always helpful, willing to share his expertise, and never a putdown.

#13 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12133 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

I am always grateful for any help, and seeing the work he had done, I will pay special attention to his advice.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.