Shelby Cobra G.T.500 (1967) - ACME 1:18 - DX Muscle Cars | Pony Cars | Hot Rods - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Shelby Cobra G.T.500 (1967) - ACME 1:18

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ivaylo

Ivaylo

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Diecast cars, photography, graphic design
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, AUTOart, GMP, Norev
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hello guys! It's been a long time since my last post here. My English is a bit "rusty" so I'd like to apologize for my errors. I'll try to write less and let the photos to speak for themselves.

For years I've collected mainly sedans, SUVs and top-line coupes. Few months ago I saw a horrible picture. My collection has turned into a sea of black and gray sedans and SUVs... The shelves looked like a rent-a-car parking lot. :gaah: It was time for a change. My latest obsession are the colorful exotics and my all time favorite American classics and muscle cars. Changing the theme of my collection is like re-discovering the thrill of this hobby, since I was bored to death with the gray/black/white new releases of BMW, Audi and Mercedes models. Enough with the foreword - let's get to the point.

I'm a... let's say quite big Mustang fan and I've always wanted to make a Shelby GT 500 set with the new AutoArt and the classic Shelby Cobra. As you know, AutoArt released the 1967 Shelby GT500 few months ago. I'm disappointed by AutoArt's models more and more often and that was the case with this Shelby. Yes, the AutoArt have some neat details like hood hinges, door windows, better tail-lights, but for me 50% of a muscle car's appeal is in the engine bay. That's why I chose the ACME Shelby Cobra. It's an old Lane / Exact Detail model with lots of drawbacks here and there, but when I saw the engine - I couldn't care less about the exterior. I'll make a simple comparison in the photos below.

The ACME's Shelby is a nice, heavy, old model which might look raw, but at least it doesn't squeaks when you pick it up, unlike a lot of the AutoArts. The biggest drawback for me are the tail-lights. They have visible mounting pins and you can see the white stripes through them. The bigger shut lines, the lack of side windows and fancy hinges aren't that noticeable. Also the ACME was a bit cheaper than the AutoArt and has cooler box, which is a plus for me.

I'll be happy to share my photos and receive some advices from you guys, since I'm quite new in the American classic and muscle car models.  :occasion14: Any criticism and tips are welcome - I don't mind them at all!

Shelby Cobra G.T.500 (1967) - ACME

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Compare the AutoArt's engine bay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Ivaylo, 19 March 2012 - 02:51 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   el docum

el docum

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1419 posts
  • Favorite Brands:All nice models
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

It's an awesome die cast congrat !

I like this color; the Brittany Blue.

#3 OFFLINE   ShockerGT

ShockerGT

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

I keep wanting to pick this model up. I can't decide between this one or the AUTOart version.

#4 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10816 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that is has value for my money

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Very nice! I agree, the engine detail make the car. The glob of plastic on the AUTOart is pitiful! Also, the RWL Goodyear tires are a huge plus and make the model.

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

#5 OFFLINE   Ivaylo

Ivaylo

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostShockerGT, on 19 March 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

I keep wanting to pick this model up. I can't decide between this one or the AUTOart version.

I've heard this question and I was in the same situation many times. There's a simple way to make a decision. What do you look for in a model - the exterior accuracy and details or the little things and the interior details. In general AutoArt have crisper body lines and shut lines. There are many QC issues though. AutoArt's weakest points are the little details - head-lights, interior materials, engine, chassis. That's the reason that made me get the Kyosho's Nissan GT-R, Lamborghini Miura, this Shelby and few other models.

Also I have a little concern about the ACME's body shape. I looks a bit "flatter" than the AutoArt's.

My rule is: If you want a crisp exterior and cool display model - get the AutoArt. If you want a model to look close and admire the tiny details and you're OK with little drawbacks on the body - get the non-AutoArt version.

#6 OFFLINE   Bondracer

Bondracer

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Favorite Brands:auto art
  • Proud Citizen of: be

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

This ACME is looking far better then the AUTOart , I had the chance to compare them both at my local dealer and as you mentioned the enginebay and rims are far better looking then the AUTOart. Another issue on the AUTOart is the position of the antenne (at the back), IMO it should be placed on the frontfender like on the ACME..
I also believe the ACME is becoming more rare than the AUTOart , so my choice would also be the ACME.

#7 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

Overall a great model Ivaylo, and super photos..  :occasion14:

but like you said the tail lights do let it down rather big style....  :lamende:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   mox

mox

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6539 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Nice pics! Glad to see you came to your senses and started buying some exciting cars lol.
John

Driving an automatic and thinking you're a skilled driver is like playing Guitar Hero and thinking you can play guitar.

Serious collectors don't buy budget models? Hahahaha...that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard

#9 OFFLINE   Ivaylo

Ivaylo

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Thanks, guys!

View Postmox, on 20 March 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

Glad to see you came to your senses and started buying some exciting cars lol.

Hahaha, me too!  :occasion14:

Edited by Ivaylo, 20 March 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10816 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that is has value for my money

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostIvaylo, on 19 March 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

View PostShockerGT, on 19 March 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

Also I have a little concern about the ACME's body shape. I looks a bit "flatter" than the AutoArt's.

IMHO, the ACME (which is Lane mold) is pretty close. But the Lane has the slopping hood. The Ertl got the body shape dead on.

View PostBondracer, on 20 March 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

This ACME is looking far better then the AUTOart , I had the chance to compare them both at my local dealer and as you mentioned the enginebay and rims are far better looking then the AUTOart. Another issue on the AUTOart is the position of the antenne (at the back), IMO it should be placed on the frontfender like on the ACME..
I also believe the ACME is becoming more rare than the AUTOart , so my choice would also be the ACME.

To AUTOart credit, the rear antenna is correct, to a point. Early in the model year, the cars had the antennas in the front fenders, but since they were fiberglass, they were moved to the rear fender. The problem is that early Shelbys had the fog lamps inwards on the grill and they were moved to the outer edge of the grill. Some would say that if the model has the inward fog lights, then the antenna should be up front and if the fog lights are outward, then the antenna should be in the rear, but there are 1:1s that don't match, but they could had been restored improperly. The antenna was dealer installed also, so it was up to the dealer prep guy to where it went.

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

#11 OFFLINE   Skotch

Skotch

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1687 posts
  • Number of Models:Some
  • Favorite Brands:Mustangs
  • Proud Citizen of: pt

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

Flawless model... LOVE IT SO MUCH...

Excellent pictures!!!

:hope:

#12 OFFLINE   gto70

gto70

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 957 posts
  • Favorite Brands:1/18

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

Great photo's of a very nice looking model..........I see what you mean about the tail lights..........other than that the car looks awesome. Congrats on your new addition.
Click HERE to view my collection.
:occasion14: Thanks to everyone for the 64,000 + views of my collection. :occasion14:

#13 OFFLINE   Gavin

Gavin

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 9008 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

View Postel docum, on 19 March 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

I like this color; the Brittany Blue.

agreed...its fantastic.

I have the dark blue Lane '67 GT350 & since I added RWL tires, its more than good enough for me.

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   model collector

model collector

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 858 posts
  • Interests:1:18 scale diecast, Turbo wrappers, Exotic cars and colours, Friendship
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Exoto, Highway 61, Old Minichamps models
  • Proud Citizen of: ro

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Excellent model, everything is perfect IMO. And what a colour! Thanks for sharing and congrats for the beautiful photos!

#15 OFFLINE   Vanished

Vanished

• DX Community
  • 48 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61
  • Proud Citizen of: gr

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

damn i love this car! what a beauty!
which one would you choose? this one or the one made from exact detail? i wanna get one as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.