DiecastXchange Forum banner

Ricko 1952 Mercedes Benz 300SL W194 Winner of the 52' Carrera Panamericana Rally

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  model collector 
#1 ·
One of my favorite budget models, Ricko's recreation of the 52' Mercedes Benz 300SL driven by Karl Kling and Hans Klenk that won the 52' Carrera Panamericana Rally. From wikipedia:

In 1952 the Carrera Panamericana saw the introduction of two categories - Sports Cars and Stock Cars, dividing what had previously been a single class, so American heavy saloons did not have to compete directly with the nimble European sports cars. The major automobile manufacturers had taken notice of the race and Mercedes-Benz sent a highly organized group of people and cars to the race. First and second places were won by Karl Kling and Herman Lang, driving the 300SL. This group may well have achieved a 1-2-3 finish had American John Fitch not been disqualified for permitting a mechanic to touch his 300SL on the penultimate day. American Chuck Stevenson won the touring car class in a Lincoln Capri.

Famously, the victory of the Mercedes-Benz 300SL of Kling and Hans Klenk came despite the car being hit by a vulture in the windscreen. During a long right-hand bend in the opening stage, taken at almost 200 km/h (120 mph), Kling failed to spot vultures sitting by the side of the road. As the birds scattered at the sound of the virtually unsilenced 300SL, one impacted through the windscreen on the passenger side, briefly knocking co-driver and navigator Klenk unconscious. Despite bleeding badly from facial injuries from the shattered windscreen, Klenk ordered Kling to maintain speed, and held on until a tyre change almost 70 km (43 mi) later to wash himself and the car of blood, bird and glass. For extra protection, eight vertical steel bars were bolted over the new windscreen. Kling and Klenk also discussed the species and size of the dead bird, agreeing that it was a bird with a minimum 115-centimetre (45 in) wingspan and weighing as much as five fattened geese.[sup][5][/sup]
Less famously, but with far greater implications, was the innovative use of pre-prepared 'pace-notes' which allowed Klenk to ascertain and communicate upcoming road bends in rapid shorthand to Kling.[sup][5][/sup] This system proved so effective that it is used in all motorsports involving a navigator today (such as rallying).

And now for some pics...

The weakest link in this model is definetlly the engine.

One of the best features. Pretty detailed for this price point even if the flocking is a little coarse.

Spring loaded doors stay up on there own.

Notice the blood on Hans Klenk's face from hitting a vulture at nearly 120 MPH. Ouch!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome model. I have not seen that before. Really interesting car. I love the pictures of the real deal, thanks for that!

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I've had this model for at least 8 years and didn't know the story behind the bars until a couple days ago. I didn't even know it won the race. I've been going through my diecast inventory I have on an excel spreadsheet and researching all the race cars in my collection to find out where they placed in thier respective races. This one had a cool story behind it and it's a bit of a unique car so I decided to post it.

#6 ·
Nice model indeed - I also have this and it's very good value for money!
£30 if I remember!

Thanks for your great photos and all the info bby!

It's good enough and I wouldn't bother to upgrade to the CMC....

#7 ·
I love this car, I've been looking at the CMC one, but as mentioned the price is nuts now, plus most of the ones I've seen aren't perfect, so I don't want them. This one looks a great alternative, it think it's still nicely detailed.

The story behind the windscreen bars is prety mad, I'd heard it before so knew why they were there.

#10 ·
I managed to find the same one, really pleased, it saved me over £120 as I was considering the CMC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.