UPS shipping to Canada is legalized robbery! - FedEx | UPS | USPS - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

UPS shipping to Canada is legalized robbery!

29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DC4ME

DC4ME

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1314 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, BBR, Auto Art and many more.
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

I purchased a model from the United States on Monday and it was said that USPS would be used. I almost had a heart attack when i saw the UPS truck pull into my yard yesterday. The chap came to my door with a $92 bill. The model i purchased was $228. Taxes worked out to $28 and the rest was what UPS calls a "Brokerage" fee. It was a charge of $64 for nothing!

What a pile of S&*%!! I HATE UPS.

Gilles

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   VeeDub Matt

VeeDub Matt

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6036 posts
  • Interests:Theology, motoring, and art
  • Favorite Brands:Spark, HPI, Bizarre, and Premium ClassiXXs
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostDC4ME, on 20 July 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

I purchased a model from the United States on Monday and it was said that USPS would be used. I almost had a heart attack when i saw the UPS truck pull into my yard yesterday. The chap came to my door with a $92 bill. The model i purchased was $228. Taxes worked out to $28 and the rest was what UPS calls a "Brokerage" fee. It was a charge of $64 for nothing!

Ugh!

Don't brokerage fees apply if/when customs clearance is completed by an office/organization other than those designated by UPS? If I'm not mistaken, you have to "authorize" them to charge you that fee. So, you might be entitled for a refund if they cleared your item without your permission to do so. But, I'm not too familiar with all of that... but it might be worth investigating. :twocents:

#3 OFFLINE   Damon Paterson

Damon Paterson

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1952 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AArt,HWE,GMP,Hwy61,Kyo,Mchamps.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

I agree with you 1000%!!! I just received a delivery which was coming via UPS, 2 diecasts shipped together, valued shows only $32, yet Duty/HST is $3,
and Brokerage Fee $12 and change, over $15 charge,Total  :icon_bs:  !
:gaah: What a [email protected]#!%* Joke! I should have paid the $10 difference and shipped USPS, I won't ever forget again!

#4 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12133 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

Shit, this sucks. Do they do the same thing if you start with UPS? I just sent a model via UPS and I really hope they do not charge the recipient.

#5 OFFLINE   Wild_Spell

Wild_Spell

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 420 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOART, KYOSHO

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

WOW, did you contact the seller and inquire about this ? I would demand a compensation/partial return if you opted for USPS.
"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Latest Acquisition:
BMW M3 E92 Dealer Edition (RED, 1:18) : Kyosho

#6 OFFLINE   b-ry89

b-ry89

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5450 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, Movies, Paranormal, UFO, Photography.
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, GT Spirits, Norev, Hotwheels Elite (Ferrari)

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

Wow, that is some BS!! I love UPS within the 48 States, but have heard some awful things about them with international shipments. I'm happy shipping all of my items via USPS for international orders as so far, I haven't heard any of my recipient complain about "brokerage fees."

Brian's Recent Haul(s):

AUTOart Chevy Corvette C7 Z06
AUTOart Lamborghini Huracan
Triple 9 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R35)

#7 OFFLINE   DC4ME

DC4ME

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostBiblitect, on 20 July 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

Ugh!

Don't brokerage fees apply if/when customs clearance is completed by an office/organization other than those designated by UPS? If I'm not mistaken, you have to "authorize" them to charge you that fee. So, you might be entitled for a refund if they cleared your item without your permission to do so. But, I'm not too familiar with all of that... but it might be worth investigating. :twocents:

This happened to me before and the biggest waste of time i have ever had happen in my life is contacting UPS. They are the MOST arrogant, not give a s%$# about customers company i have ever dealt with. They will do NOTHING for me. Oops, i forgot about Exoto  :giggle:

View Postpreisman, on 20 July 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Shit, this sucks. Do they do the same thing if you start with UPS? I just sent a model via UPS and I really hope they do not charge the recipient.

If it is a item that has a value of over $10 (i think) they will charge the "Brokerage" fee. It is a joke!

View PostWild_Spell, on 20 July 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

WOW, did you contact the seller and inquire about this ? I would demand a compensation/partial return if you opted for USPS.

They thought they were doing me a favour. I received it in 3 days and USPS would have been longer. They really had no idea that UPS could be so underhanded. I cannot really blame them. It is all the CRAP by UPS!!! This is one company i wish would disappear.

Edited by DC4ME, 20 July 2012 - 03:31 PM.

Gilles

#8 OFFLINE   VeeDub Matt

VeeDub Matt

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6036 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostDC4ME, on 20 July 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

This happened to me before and the biggest waste of time i have ever had happen in my life is contacting UPS. They are the MOST arrogant, not give a s%$# about customers company i have ever dealt with.

So sorry about this, man... a true epic die-cast disaster. You could have purchased 1 or 2 more models for that amount. :gaah:

View PostDC4ME, on 20 July 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Oops, i forgot about Exoto  :giggle:

:giggle:

#9 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

UK brokerage charges are  just as bad.....so now I don't chance buying from US these days.....  :bawling:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Cojo

Cojo

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 373 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Hot Wheels Elite, BBR, CMC

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

Same here. 3x I ordered cars from Exoto got charged more than the value declared on the waybill.   Brokerage fee, I think goes by pounds, he, he, he. I asked Exoto to combined 2 orders but I end up paying 2x brokerage fee!!
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   mobius

mobius

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1456 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, and Elite.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

Uhhhh....I don't think the seller could do that. If they said it would be USPS, then they should've shipped it USPS unless UPS would have been cheaper for you.  They can't ship it via a more expensive method and have you pay for it.  The seller probably decided not to use USPS because when he got to the USPS office, he realized he had to pay the customs fee before they would ship the package to Canada (which is usually around $12).  I believe with UPS, they ship it and have the buyer pick up the customs/brokerage. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Could you have refused the package? If you refuse the package, who picks up the fee?

#12 OFFLINE   m_power

m_power

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3214 posts
  • Interests:European and Japanese cars, Women, Top Gear, Food, Photography, Watches
  • Favorite Brands:MR

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Sorry to hear that. I've had my fair share of bad experiences from them so I stay as far as I can from UPS!

#13 OFFLINE   Monster

Monster

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1341 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

This is absolutely unacceptable, what the hell is this 'brokerage' fee? And how can they justify this?

#14 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12133 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

How the hell can they not tell the person shipping the item?

#15 OFFLINE   DC4ME

DC4ME

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

It is like i said. It makes NO sense that is why it is legalized robbery!! Quite the scam they have.

Gilles

#16 OFFLINE   Cojo

Cojo

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 373 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Hot Wheels Elite, BBR, CMC

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

Exoto does not give you options, they use UPS exclusive I guess international. Well I was thinking of refusing the delivery but since the cars are on sale and really want to have them just swallow the charges. Still reasonable at $98 bucks + shipping and brokerage, the price you pay for an Autoart.
Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   VeeDub Matt

VeeDub Matt

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6036 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

I don't know if this helps provide any explanation for those who might be wondering what a brokerage fee is, but I found this 8 page PDF here that had some "useful" information.  :occasion14:

#18 OFFLINE   F355spiderMan

F355spiderMan

John

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Cars, video games, football, food, guns.
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

What a bunch of crap! i just told some one not to use UPS too who was also from Canada. They are the worst when it comes to shipping.  :lamende:

priesman,

They don't have to tell the shipper. That's how extortion works.

#19 OFFLINE   DC4ME

DC4ME

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostBiblitect, on 22 July 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

I don't know if this helps provide any explanation for those who might be wondering what a brokerage fee is, but I found this 8 page PDF here that had some "useful" information.  :occasion14:

Oh good. They have documentation as to why they screw people. What could they possibly do to charge so much for "Brokerage". I see the more the item is worth, the more you pay. The last time this happened to me i called UPS to inquire. I was taken care of by one of the rudest person i have had to deal with in my life. I would NEVER call them again to be told how stupid i am and that they are not subsidized like USPS.

Even the poor delivery person that comes to my home is scared to give the additional charge to customers.

Gilles

#20 OFFLINE   VeeDub Matt

VeeDub Matt

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6036 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostDC4ME, on 22 July 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

Even the poor delivery person that comes to my home is scared to give the additional charge to customers.

I believe it.

I don't understand the need for the additional fees... it's stealing. It really burns me whenever I have to pay extra for shipping insurance or even tracking. That stuff should be standard. It's not costing the carrier service any more in gas or effort to ensure that my item arrives where/when it's supposed to arrive. It's their job to get it there. But, for some reason, they feel as though they can charge extra for services that should come standard.  :rolleyes:

I personally don't usually use UPS, so I'm not too familiar with them. I'm a FedEx customer for the most part. I've had maybe one issue with them... otherwise, I can't complain.

#21 OFFLINE   DC4ME

DC4ME

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

I have not had any issues with FedEx. They seem to be a very good company. I just have heart problems when i see a brown truck  :giggle:

Edited by DC4ME, 23 July 2012 - 08:25 AM.

Gilles

#22 OFFLINE   jpflip

jpflip

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, Carousel1 Kyosho, Autoart, Minichamps, True Scale, UT

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Was in the same boat and will never used UPS again in my life!!!!! I am really sorry for you.

#23 OFFLINE   diecastcarsgroup

diecastcarsgroup

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 318 posts
  • Favorite Brands:As long as it represents the car I want in a proper way.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostBiblitect, on 22 July 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

The PDF link is informative.  Good thing I came over and checked this thread.  I could use this much knowledge it just in case. :nice:

I sympathize with you on this.   I just had my fair share of unwanted events regarding a transaction today as well...
| JOJO BEE | AUTO-ART-&-PERFORMANCE | OTTO ART N PERFORMHANS | DIECASTCARSGROUP ® |

#24 OFFLINE   Thorst13

Thorst13

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2882 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit, HWE.
  • Proud Citizen of: no

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

Air mail from Norway to the USA is starting at $78! I'm used to the madness.
Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   kton

kton

• DX Community
  • 17 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

crap... I think the models I just bought are being shipped through UPS

Posted Image

~kton

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.