Welly Lamborghini Miura SV - Welly | FX | GT Autos - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Welly Lamborghini Miura SV

9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GlasgowDave

GlasgowDave

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hi All,

Got my Welly Miura today. It's the 1971 SV model in Miura Yellow. This is my first Welly so I was keen to see how it stacked up.

Posted Image

The badge on the bonnet/hood is always a test of a model. The expensive brands (hopefully) do well to cram as much detail into this as possible. Here on the Welly the detail is surprisingly good. The raging bull is clear to make out. However, there is a lot of marking on the upper part of the badge which spoils the overall look. If it had been a cleaner result then the badge would have been a real winner.

Posted Image

I noticed that the fitting of the windscreen was poor also. I had to pop the piece into place myself. 'No big deal', I thought, but behind this was some very poor paint finish. This really detracts from the look of the screen and the overall realism of the car.

Posted Image

The Welly has a sealed rear section so the engine is not visible. This has meant that the shutlines are tight in this section. Actually, they are very good even on the opening sections. However, there are very clear mould lines on the rear three-quarter panels. It's a shame as it breaks up the lovely flow of the bodywork in this area. My model also came with a chip in the paint at the lip of the rear arch.

Posted Image

The stance and the form of the car is excellent. Welly really have nailed the look of the Miura. The yellow really sets it off.

Posted Image

They say that if you can draw a car using three flowing lines then the shape is perfect. Simple but beautiful. That is certainly true of the Miura.

Posted Image

Details in the headlights help capture the look of the car and are well represented here.

Posted Image

Little bit of poor paint finish again around the headlamps though.

Posted Image

The tail lights are also well reproduced. Nice to see the different colours, lens patterns and surround detailed. The fog lamp on the right side was a little disappointing. It was squint on the model and the paint was poorly applied here.

Posted Image

Again, a little more paint chipping to the lip of the rear.

Posted Image

So, overall, the form and the detailing of the model is excellent for the money. The detail certainly brings you in to look closer. However, it is then that you notice all the paint chips and poor quality of the finish. I've been disappointed by this model and am now intending to return it to the seller. As a new model from a toy/model shop I'd have hoped that it would have been a prime example of what Welly has to offer. If this is representative of their work then I am saddened. Welly seem to have gotten 80% to the level of an Autoart and then stepped back 50% through poor quality control. Perhaps that's why the Welly is a third the cost of the AUTOart or perhaps I've been unlucky. Share your comments and experiences below.

Dave

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

Brilliant review Dave!  :occasion14:  It's by far the clear leader in its price range!!   :clap:  :10:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2779 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

from my personal experience Welly has always been 1 step better than other similar budget makers i.e. Maisto Bburago in term of level of details/overall accuracy of the real car. The only complain from me is the unavoidable paint chips. Every single Welly models i bought brand new will have at least 2 or 3 spots of chips. on brighter colour models you will also find smudges (lucikly most will come off with a bit of rubbing using WD40)
the welly miura i have have a slightly crooked bonnet badge

#4 OFFLINE   lambodiecast

lambodiecast

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1081 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt - MR - Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: be

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

Up close it might not be the best model out there, but I must admit this specific one looks rather bad ... I also have the yellow shade (and the red one) and must say it looks better than this one, especially paint ... guess you've got a 'monday made lemon'.

I have both on display next to my Kyosho Miura models ... and you would need to be very close up to the models to see the difference ... and in the end that's what matters I guess.
Mark
Posted Image
The Lamborghini scale car collection - 738 models with 4971 photos online

#5 OFFLINE   GlasgowDave

GlasgowDave

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

View Postmairandeddy, on 01 September 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

Brilliant review Dave!  It's by far the clear leader in its price range!!

Thanks, but based on this particular model, I don't think it's a winner.

View Postjazzy426, on 01 September 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

from my personal experience Welly has always been 1 step better than other similar budget makers i.e. Maisto Bburago in term of level of details/overall accuracy of the real car. The only complain from me is the unavoidable paint chips. Every single Welly models i bought brand new will have at least 2 or 3 spots of chips.

That's sad to hear. I'd have thought that chips could be avoided by simply being a bit more careful!

View Postlambodiecast, on 02 September 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

Up close it might not be the best model out there, but I must admit this specific one looks rather bad ... I also have the yellow shade (and the red one) and must say it looks better than this one, especially paint ... guess you've got a 'monday made lemon'.

I have both on display next to my Kyosho Miura models ... and you would need to be very close up to the models to see the difference ... and in the end that's what matters I guess.

Thanks for the feedback, LD. I did expect that the paint would be a bit better. And I didn't bargain on that casting line either. I think I'll contact the seller and try another one from his stock. It might cost me £5 in postage but it should be better than having a slightly secondhand looking model.

Dave

#6 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2779 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

The Miura from Welly is a pretty solid model despite the QC issues. It is one the best you can get from budget range. I have mine displayed next to 2 kyosho miuras and it looks jus as good. I am hoping that Welly might re-release it in the future with rainbow of colours. Green and orange perhaps....

#7 OFFLINE   Wellzie 74

Wellzie 74

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3178 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving cars....Complete "Petrol Head"
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, AUTOart, Kyosho, Highway 61, ERTL, Solido, Sunstar, GMP/ACME, Exotos, CMC's.
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

Mine came with one small chip but you can't notice it unless you look for it, for the £12 I paid for it it'll do till I can justify a more expensive version. Posted Image

The 3 most important things in life...

It's not how many models you have but how many of them you look at & smile.
Good Karma, what goes around eventually comes around.
Never fart in white chinos after spicy food.
Posted Image
As a wise man once said......"Pull my Finger".

#8 OFFLINE   Gavin

Gavin

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 9008 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

For the price, the overall look is very good, IMO.

It is a shame to hear about the QC issues, but honestly I've had models costing much more than have had more issues.

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostGlasgowDave, on 02 September 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

View Postmairandeddy, on 01 September 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

Brilliant review Dave!  It's by far the clear leader in its price range!!

Thanks, but based on this particular model, I don't think it's a winner.

Not even for the $$$ Dave?? (£12  :rolleyes: )  The closest comparison I can think of is the TVR by Jadi....which is £16+...... :twocents:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   mt_jt

mt_jt

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1042 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.
  • Proud Citizen of: kr

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

I've got the yellow one and also display it right beside a Kyosho SV. Welly are doing great things for Lamborghini model collectors, what with their nice LP560 and now the FX Aventador.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.