Build It Yourself 1/8th Models - By Subscription - Archived model news. - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Build It Yourself 1/8th Models - By Subscription

7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4272 posts
  • Interests:NFL, Auto racing, playing pool, collecting large-scale diecast racing cars (1/18th and up)
  • Number of Models:1/10th: 2; 1/12th: 1; 1/18th: 176; 1/43rd: 5
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, GMP, Minichamps, Carousel 1, Auto Art
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

While I was watching practice and qualifying for this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix, I repeatedly saw a commercial for a subscription-style offer for a 1/8th-scale model kit of the McLaren MP4-23 which Lewis Hamilton drove to the 2008 Wordl Driving Championship:

You can either pay $99.95 USD plus $19.95 shipping per month for a year (for a total of $1438.80!) for the parts and instructions which you assemble as each unit arrives (or save $ by ordering the entire assembly at once for $1200 plus $100 shipping). The model is plastic, metal and other components (don't know if there's enough metal to consider it a diecast) and looks pretty nice - but the price is out of my reach.

I had seen the same concept of subscription model building last year when I found an ad by the James Bond 007 magazine which offers a 1/8th model of the 1965 Aston Martin DB5 introduced in "Goldfinger", complete with spy gadgets (hidden machine guns fore and aft, retractible bullet-proof rear screen and tire-slashing spinners and switchable license plates):

http://www.007db5.com/index.asp
The plans for building the Aston Martin are posted in the 007 website. Unfortunately, the DB5 is not available in the U.S. :gaah: .  
Ah well, I can dream, can't I?

Edited by Jersey_Devil, 24 November 2012 - 07:52 PM.

I just want someone whose baggage goes with mine [from "Rent"]...
- Red

My 1/18th collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...16/#entry557038

My 1/43rd collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...d-riverside-300

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Nocky

Nocky

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5254 posts
  • Interests:Diecast, models, customized cars
  • Favorite Brands:Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of: nz

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Looks good... But how many CMCs could you buy for the same amount...?

Custom Diecast, Just DO IT!
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4272 posts
  • Interests:NFL, Auto racing, playing pool, collecting large-scale diecast racing cars (1/18th and up)

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

There aren't that many CMCs I want :nice:. Now Exotos, that probably means only two or three; Auto Arts, 8 - 10; Carousel 1s or Minichamps, about ten of one or the other. And I think the entertainment value of one of these, combined with the feeling of accomplishment of having assembled it myself (although they're pre-assembled for the most part), kinda of make up the difference...
- Red

#4 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts
  • Interests:Family. LFC. F1. WEC. Model Cars. Movies. The Grand Tour. Top Gear
  • Favorite Brands:Gulf & Martini Porsche's.
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:50 AM

Wow... that it some serious amount of kit in  1/8th Red.... but looking at it on that clip.... i thought it would be even bigger, i mean, how long is an F1 car ?

Would also like to say, if i could afford it, and had the means to buy it, i probably would,  but sadly " i " dont   :bawling:    . I am sure some  lucky people will buy it   :twocents: .

I mean.... imagine having that in a display case, ( a bloody huge 1 )  That thing would be awesome to own and display, although i would not have a clue where to put it !

I could always take up all the space on our coffee table in the living room....but i dont think the little lady would like that!!   :nice:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" If one does not fail at times, Then one has not challenged himself "

Ferdinand Porsche.

My Showcase Pictures.... Click here

#5 OFFLINE   cyrus43

cyrus43

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1628 posts
  • Favorite Brands:HWE
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

I have the front wing and a few other parts of this particular kit. It was available in the UK as a part of some magazine thingie.

#6 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

Get some pics on mate... would be great to see them   :hope:    ... and then the build coming together..  :twocents:

Ferdinand Porsche.

#7 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4272 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

bigdave7872, on 25 November 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

Get some pics on mate... would be great to see them   :hope: ... and then the build coming together..  :twocents:

I tried, but the websites appear to be copy-protected. As for the build of the McLaren, go to this forum:

http://forum.model-s...x?g=topics&f=35

The admins have created a "build diary" where they posted each of the steps (in reverse order) of a complete build, with TONS of photos as well as the detailed instructions. Looks BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL, though I haven't read enough to determine the composition of the car - is it mostly plastic or mostly metal? Can be built with simple tools (screwdriver, etc.), no glue or painting required, though there is a note about instructions for adding "gloss", saying that's intended for expert modelers. But on YouTube I found videos of what sounded like a little boy building his with his father, so it's not outside the skills of non-modelers.

UPDATE:
I looked at the first section of the diary and found this instruction:

You will require three types of glue for the assembly of this model, one suited to the bonding of ABS plastic to ABS plastic, another being Superglue (cyanoacrilate) for bonding metal to plastic, (a gel or 'thick' type superglue is better controlled), and finally a General Purpose glue.

so it appears it is mostly plastic (dang!).

Edited by Jersey_Devil, 25 November 2012 - 03:48 PM.

- Red

#8 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

I bet it would still look epic in a well lit display case... albeit a bloody big one   :omg: :gaah:

Ferdinand Porsche.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.