Highway 61 1970 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda - Highway 61 | Diecast Promotions - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Highway 61 1970 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   entropy17

entropy17

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Favorite Brands:GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

In my last review, I reviewed a very boring, ugly Saturn. Now it's time to return to muscle cars as I care about them. Up next is the Highway 61 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda, possibly one of the most desired Plymouth's ever made. I only bought this version because it was a steal, but should you buy it anyway? Let's put it through the trial..

Posted Image

As this is a newer Highway 61, you have a short back story of the car on the back and the innovative folding plastic on the inside so no screws are required to remove the vehicle. I forgot to take a rear picture, so excuse me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the flesh, the car gives off a menacing stance and feel with it's Ivy Green paint and Hockey stripe decal on the rear quarter panel along with the actual feel vinyl roof. All of that is applied onto the straight body along with all the badges which are also a clean, flush fit. Most of the trim is painted on instead of actual trim, a big surprise for Highway 61. This 'Cuda, being a HEMI, comes with the Shaker hood piece and those annoying hood pins. While very annoying, it is very good attention to detail. This might just be a defect on my car, but the hood, while opening on simulated hinges, snags the very back of the front right quarter panel for a second. Also, those imperfections you see in the paint? If you're asking, those are rain drops..

Posted Image

Noticing now this is out of focus a bit, I apologize. Other than that, this is your usual Highway 61 front end with detailed headlights and a lot of focus on the front grille, which this picture doesn't have. Personally, I don't like this front end. I like the 1971 much better, but this was a price I couldn't ignore.

Posted Image

The rear features real chrome and badging, although I'm unsure if the taillights are actual lights or not. It looks good either way especially with the vibrant license plate bringing color to it all.

Posted Image

The wheels are the usual sexy Plymouth Rallye rims with Goodyear Polyglas tires which have an unusually thick outer tread for a Highway 61 model. I love the chrome outer lip giving the wheel depth and the valve stem assuring you it isn't as deep as the wheels on Quinton Jackson's Challenger. By the way, don't look that up, it's hideous.

Posted Image

Posted Image

On the inside you'd have to have brain damage to like the green matching interior, but that's just my opinion, and the show must go on.. Your usual Highway 61 accoutrements are included such as carpeted interior, folding sun visors, folding/sliding and an opening glovebox. I think the steering wheel could have been cast and painted a bit more cleanly bit that's just a small issue.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lifting the hood reveals the barely housed 7.0 liter 425 horsepower monster. There are no empty spaces or details forgotten in this engine bay. Sadly, the Shaker hood does obscure a good amount of the engine, but what can be seen is obviously fully wired and plumbed with nothing forgotten. This is the sixth 426 HEMI is my collection, and I'm still not bored of it.

Posted Image

While simple, the trunk is nice and detailed with your spare tire, jack and floor pad. So simple and bare you can hear echoes in there.

Posted Image

The undercarriage is quite possibly the most detailed part of the whole car. Fully simulated suspension, over spray, brake lines, exhaust, you name it, it's replicated here. It looks as if they flipped a real 'Cuda over by accident and replicated it perfectly. I just wish there were less holes and the screws were obscured somehow.

Once again Highway 61 has proven they can do any muscle car with ease and precision. To this day it wonders me why they stopped making these wonderful models at an amazing price. Because of this though, the prices are skyrocketing on even the common Highway 61's. As I stated before, I only purchased this because it was a bargain, and one of these days, I'm replacing it with a '71. If you want a '70 though like this one, I would not even think twice about buying one. You can even make me an offer on this one if you'd like, I'm selling it eventually anyway.. If this review didn't take up enough time in your day, try finding all seven Pink Floyd references.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   BMW Fan

BMW Fan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1195 posts
  • Interests:Commercial Aviation, Cars, Food, Traveling
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, AutoArt, Minichamps (in their glory days)

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Very nice review. I don't really care for Muscle cars, but I like to read your reviews. I never seem to like cars with the same interior/exterior color. Other than black on black, it never really looks right.

I like the floor mat detail though.

Edited by BMW Fan, 25 March 2013 - 08:25 PM.

Recent Additions:

AUTOart BMW E46 M3 CSL (Black)
AUTOart Lexus LFA (Matte Black)

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Wellzie 74

Wellzie 74

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3178 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving cars....Complete "Petrol Head"
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, AUTOart, Kyosho, Highway 61, ERTL, Solido, Sunstar, GMP/ACME, Exotos, CMC's.
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

Once again mate your review has captured all that needs to be said about this fantastic model, top rate attention to detail & loving the photos. I've got the 440 Tuxedo version & it's not a model I ever see myself selling & like you say the fact that Highway 61 stopped making them means one day these will be worth quite a bit (unless they come to their senses & start building them again).

I think the green & vinyl combo works well mate, very 70's style & classic. Thanks for doing another splendid review & bringing us back from the Saturn "Speed Bump" model lol, I always look forward to your work.
Posted Image
Hope you don't mind me adding a photo of mine mate, not trying to steal your thunder lol

The 3 most important things in life...

It's not how many models you have but how many of them you look at & smile.
Good Karma, what goes around eventually comes around.
Never fart in white chinos after spicy food.
Posted Image
As a wise man once said......"Pull my Finger".

#4 OFFLINE   E Rod_017

E Rod_017

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4669 posts
  • Interests:Cars cars and more cars
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that has great detail for low prices

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Nice review. If these weren't so expensive and rare I'd grab a sassy grass green(AKA sublime) one myself but the way things are looking I'll just work my magic on a an Ertl '71(for the quad headlights) 440 or Hemi Cuda and spray it sassy grass green myself
TO SEE MY COLLECTION CLICK RIGHT HERE!!!
THANKS FOR THE 20,000 VIEWS!!!!!

#5 OFFLINE   Wellzie 74

Wellzie 74

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3178 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving cars....Complete "Petrol Head"
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, AUTOart, Kyosho, Highway 61, ERTL, Solido, Sunstar, GMP/ACME, Exotos, CMC's.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

View PostE Rod_017, on 25 March 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

Nice review. If these weren't so expensive and rare I'd grab a sassy grass green(AKA sublime) one myself but the way things are looking I'll just work my magic on a an Ertl '71(for the quad headlights) 440 or Hemi Cuda and spray it sassy grass green myself

Sweet Baby Jesus, I can find tonnes of affordable Cudas in the U.S but its the shipping to U.K that kills me. For what they are anything under $100 is a bargin lol

The 3 most important things in life...

It's not how many models you have but how many of them you look at & smile.
Good Karma, what goes around eventually comes around.
Never fart in white chinos after spicy food.
Posted Image
As a wise man once said......"Pull my Finger".

#6 OFFLINE   E Rod_017

E Rod_017

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4669 posts
  • Interests:Cars cars and more cars
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that has great detail for low prices

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

View PostWellzie 74, on 25 March 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

Sweet Baby Jesus, I can find tonnes of affordable Cudas in the U.S but its the shipping to U.K that kills me. For what they are anything under $100 is a bargin lol
I looked last night and yes there were plenty of cudas but they were 1970 and older I'm looking for a 1971 because IMO the quad headlights look better. But if there were trans kits available to transform the front end of a 70 to a 71 ill go that route instead.
TO SEE MY COLLECTION CLICK RIGHT HERE!!!
THANKS FOR THE 20,000 VIEWS!!!!!

#7 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10816 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that is has value for my money

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostE Rod_017, on 26 March 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

View PostWellzie 74, on 25 March 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

I looked last night and yes there were plenty of cudas but they were 1970 and older I'm looking for a 1971 because IMO the quad headlights look better. But if there were trans kits available to transform the front end of a 70 to a 71 ill go that route instead.
A trans kit???  :icon_scratch: You would need a whole front clip as the fenders, grill and valance are different on a '70 from a '71 and so are the tail lights (and panel) and seats.

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

#8 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 9417 posts
  • Number of Models:350+
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOART Highway 61 Hot Wheels Elite Ertl Authentics

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

great review and pics, I enjoyed as always, and the Highway 61 cudas are the best, I have a BYC conv. custom 70 Hemi top down in tor red  and Its a showstopper!!

Feel free to View My Collection Thread
http://www.diecastxc...and-collection/

It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates! Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6727 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: dk

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

nice review. i sometimes check the reviews on DX before buying a model, but it was not necessary with the Highway 61 Cuda AAR, which i received today.
it looks good

#10 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Super review Rush!  :occasion14:
Looks like a great model and does not appear to have the chrome foil problems that other HW61's (like my '66 GTO) tend to suffer from! :gaah:

One to look out for methinks!  :hope:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   ferrarianf1

ferrarianf1

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1819 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Still searching..........
  • Proud Citizen of: sg

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Not really familiar with these but just love the shape and lines of these muscles! :nice:

#12 OFFLINE   diecastmm1

diecastmm1

• DX Community
  • 38 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, Kyosho, Minichamps, Spark

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

Nice review of this model!  I have the same model in blue and have had it for some years now.   It's my favorite muscle car in my collection.

#13 OFFLINE   lazard

lazard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1963 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: cz

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:28 PM

Nice review. Pehaps the 1971 cars look better than the 1970 cars but the older ones are more classic IMO. I have red 1970 Hemi Cuda and yellow Cuda AAR and I like them very much. Here  are mine:

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   Rust-MyEnemy

Rust-MyEnemy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Unbelievably...Bburago

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

Since nobody else is biting, I found "Brain Damage", "The Trial" "Echoes", "The Show Must Go On", "One Of These Days", "Time" and "In The Flesh".

Send my prize to the usual address.

Edited by Rust-MyEnemy, 30 July 2015 - 03:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.