Lamborghini Miura SV - AUTOart vs Kyosho - DX Model Comparisons - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Lamborghini Miura SV - AUTOart vs Kyosho

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

I know. This topic has probably been done to death already. Time to move on. Nothing more to see. Or is there? I recently acquired a second Miura SV. In the same colour. Please read my side by side review below after the pictures and let me know what you think. Full picture set at the end by clicking the picture below.

Everyone reading this will know what a Lamborghini Miura is and that the last and most coveted Miura is the P400 SV or Miura SV with the higher tuned engine, limited slip differential and wider rear wheel arches to accommodate the larger rear tyres.

I have been absorbed by the myth and mystery of Lamborghini cars and the people who made them and none more so than the Miura ever since I first saw the opening scene to the 1969 film the Italian Job.  To the best of my recollection, I have seen just one Lamborghini Miura in real life, finished in orange, at the 1983 national car show in Earls Court, London.

My first model of a Miura was a small and simple matchbox toy that nevertheless entertained me as played with it on the living room carpet, pretending to crash it like in the Italian Job. As I got older and started to collect in 1/18, I longed for a large scale Miura until Anson came along and released their effort which was frankly, disappointing even then.

Then Kyosho released their brilliant model of the Jota in 1/18 scale, so I was hoping for a Miura variant from them at a later date. But it was AUTOart who produced the first highly detailed scale replica of the Miura, an orange coloured model of which, I snapped up right away. Kyosho’s Miura was released a few years later and I eventually bought a P400 in metallic blue – which Until one day a few weeks ago, another orange Muira SV became available on ebay at a very reasonable price, only this one was from Kyosho, not AUTOart.

Sitting side by side as I write this on my desk, despite all their obvious similarities, they both have some striking differences. So the question is, which one of the two Muira SV models is the most scale and therefore, the better model? This then, is my comparison of two models of the same car, in the same colour in the same scale by my two favourite high end diecast manufacturers.

1/18 scale 1971-1972 Lamborghini Miura SV. Orange/ Black interior. Made in China by AUTOart of Hong Kong. (AUTOart Catalogue N°74542. RRP £89.95).

1/18 scale 1971-1972 Lamborghini Miura P400 SV. Orange / Black interior. Made in China by Kyosho of Tokyo, Japan. (Kyosho Catalogue N°K08313P RRP £84.95).

Real car references: The Lamborghini Miura Bible by Joe Sackey (2008 Veloce Publishing); Ultimate Automobiles by Alberto Martinez & José Rosinski (1984 Haynes).
Please find pictures of the two models below:

Review marks after each section out of 10.

Box

AUTOart have presented their Muira SV in the familiar but somewhat unimaginative standard cardboard box surrounding a polystyrene two part clam shell. The model is fastened to thee bottom clamshell by four small retaining screws. The box art is of the model itself with smaller panel pictures of the model in various poses and some information on the real car.

Kyosho have offered their Muira SV in two panel window cardboard box, which surrounds a plastic base with end panels for rigidity. The model is secured by four medium sized retaining screws. The doors and opening parts are further secured by plastic strips that are easily removed.

Neither of the two boxes are particularly exciting but the AUTOart box does offer extra protection from compression or light damage. Kyosho have since updated their boxes for their Muira models with a similar polystyrene clamshells inside a cardboard box with pictures of the models outside.  But these are AUTOart and Kyosho models and the money you pay for them has been focused on the models, not their boxes.

AUTOart 6
Kyosho 5

First Impressions out of the box

AUTOart right out of the box have produced a model that looks high class, feels well made and is heavy. Resting on the table the model looks as you always imagined a Miura would look if it was scaled down to 1/18 and made to a high standard. The AUTOart Miura rolls nicely with no snag and the front wheels and steering mechanisms are poseable. Turning the model upside has to be handled carefully as the front and rear engine compartments flip open quite easily to their full extention.

Kyosho’s Miura also has an immediate high end feel to it the very first time it is handled. Again, resting on the table, the model looks fantastic, lots of details to pick out (more of which later in this review) and entertain the collector. Rolling the model on the table isn’t quite as free wheeling as on the AUTOart and the front wheels and steering mechanisms aren’t quite as free as on the AUTOArt. Holding the model upside down for chassis inspection has to be even more carefully managed, so as not to snag the roof ariel which is small and easy to miss. And it’s the very small but immediate extra small details on the Kyosho (better quality wipers, additional mirrors, ariel, photo-etched badges, tyre valves, vented grills) that just edge it in terms of out of the box impact.

AUTOart 9
Kyosho 9.5

Body shape and stance

Handle each model independently and without sight of each other and the body shape and stance of both look to be correct with some minor shortcomings here and there. Put them side by side, it’s immediately apparent that AUTOart and Kyosho have a difference of opinion. The two models simply do not look to be the same shape.

Using my eyes, a flat surface and physically putting the models wheels together, it is not clear where this difference is. Both models have the same height, length and wheelbase. The doors, the roof lines, the opening panels all appear to be the same lengths, so it’s almost like an optical illusion as to why they look different on the table.
Then after a while and closer inspection, the mystery is revealed. The difference is in the curves.

AUTOart’s Miura is quite curvacious, with very few straight lines anywhere, just as in the real Muira SV. But the Kyosho’s Muira is even more curvaceous. This is slightly noticeable around the front wings and much more obvious around the rear wings. If these two cars were women, they’d be the same height but different dress sizes.
Well, I’ve spent the best part of the entire evening looking at both models and the most authoritative book on the Miura and another with the best photography and the honest answer is I simply don’t know. Just when I look at one picture that looks as if the AUTOart, slightly flatter shape seems right, I notice another picture that looks as if the Kyosho more rounded shape is correct.

Take the A post for example. From the rear and side of every picture I’ve seen it looks like a straight line, and therefore the AUTOart is more accurate. Yet from the front, on every photography, it looks slightly curved, so the Kyosho must be correct. It’s a very subtle detail that Kyosho have picked up and AUTOart just missed, and yet the shape of the A post affects the huge front windscreen and roofline and door shape – all very distinctive and stylistically iconic features of the Miura.

A more obvious difference between the two in which Kyosho have been more faithful is the slight flange of the wheel arches.

On the plus side for AUTOart, their Miura appears to have a more accurate front grill shape, which is quite delicate and thin, compared to the Kyosho that seems to be too deep, which then distorts the shape of the grill lights.
The AUTOart sideskirts beneath the door line are more shallow than on the Kyosho, but having looked at many pictures, I am not sure which of the two is correct.

Both models stance is very low as on the real Miura. However, the rear track on the AUTOart is more accurate as the wheels are closer to the edge of the wings. On the other hand, Kyosho have constructed their Miura such that the wheels bodywork slightly covers the front and rear wheels, giving the car a more “lowered” look, which is more accurate than the AUTOart.

Both models look amazing though and unless you have them both side by side, you’re unlikely to notice they are different.

AUTOart 8
Kyosho 9

Paintwork and brightwork

The first impressions of the AUTOart and Kyosho model’s orange paint when considered separately is very impressive. Until you put them side by side. Then you realise that they are both completely different shades of orange. The AUTOart is more towards the red end of the spectrum, and the Kyosho more towards the yellow end. So either Lamborghini varied the shades of orange in their factory (entirely plausible for that era) or one of the models is more faithful to the original colour than the other. From the best pictures of orange Miura’s I could locate in Joe Sackey’s “Lamborghini Miura bible”, the shade of orange on the Kyosho Miuira SV is closer to the original 1966-1969 Miura P400, whereas the AUTOart Miura SV is closer to the later 1971-1972 Miura SV. It’s as if Kyosho were looking at the shade of orange on the wrong Miura. It’s very close though.

As far as the finish is concerned, then the AUTOart wins again. Kyosho is good, but the AUTOart is more vibrant, smoother to the touch, looks deeper, more polished. It may well be that the patina on the Kyoshos is more correct for a car of this vintage, as it left the factory, but every Miura I’ve ever seen looks a million dollars, and here, the AUTOart shouts out to you more.

Both models have chrome plating everywhere it should be.  The AUTOart is finely detailed, with an almost flush fitting front window frame. The Kyosho brightwork is just ever so slightly less shiny, but window frames all have a thin black line that depicts the rubber beading, and there is a slight recess in the front window, which looks correct to me, so the Kyosho has the advantage here.

AUTOart has single moulded independent wipers but Kyosho two part, wiper arm and wiper blade details, plus black paint to simulate the rubber, so Kyosho went that little bit further here.

AUTOart 8.5
Kyosho 9

Glazing and lights

The largest and most striking window panel on the Miura is the windscreen. Here, AUTOart and Kyosho present the Muira in slightly different shapes. The AUTOart front windscreen is shaped with roof and bonnet curves of approximately a similar arc. The Kyosho roof curve is bends to a larger more straight arc than the bonnet curve. From the pictures I’m looking at, it’s the Kyosho that seems to be more correct here.

This dispute over window curves continues to the side windows. The more pronounced curvature of the side windows on the Kyosho. It looks to me as if Kyosho have ever so slightly exaggerated the effect here, but once you notice it, you like it. That curve which bows inwards on the C post means there is more substance to the distinctive C post door frame slats. Unfortunately this effect is rather spoiled by the use of diecasting for the fine slats which is far too course and painted black, compared the delicate fine detailing on the AUTOart C post slats which are separate items.

The largeslats on the rear clamshell were introduced on the production Miura’s and became a signiature for all V12 mid engine Lamborghinis afterwards. Both are very well done, properly vented, however, AUTOart have included a central support brace, not really apparent until the clamshell is opened and Kyosho does not. None of the pictures in Joe Sackey’s book have this brace, so the Kyosho is correct.

AUTOart’s front lights are beautiful and well made and sit perfectly flat into the black oval recess. The outer lens covers a plated dish with a small nip at the off centre to represent the bulb. To set the lights to be more upright, there is a subtle switch within the front clam. Works beautifully with a snap.

My Kyosho Miura must be different from later production models (in different boxes) as the lights seem to be fixed but I’ve seen others online which can be raised. However, the light itself is “double lensed”; that is, the outer translucent lens covers another lens beneath in a different angle. Very nice touch from Kyosho.

Underneath, AUTOart have recreated the beautiful slender small lights at the ends of the front grill, correctly picking up that the side lights are two lenses, and their version has the amber indicators at the edge. Kyosho’s side lights are disappointing in comparison. They are far too thick, the wrong shape single lens (they should be two) and the silver foil beneath  the lens is visible.

AUTOart have the small round side repeaters on the front wing, but my version of Kyosho’s Muira doesn’t (though later production models do).

Towards the rear, AUTOart’s rear lights are spot on, the right shape, chromed between the three lenses and even have the subtle  circle within, representing the light housing. Kyosho’s lights are also very nice, but the wrong shape at the edge, as they are too rounded, and they do not include that lovely internal circle that AUTOart achieved.

AUTOart 8
Kyosho 8

Wheels and tyres

AUTOart’s wheels are single piece plastic, with a spinner attached. The alloys are properly ventilated through which the disc brake rotors and black callipers can be seen. However, turn the model upside down and the disc rotors are houses in a black plastic plate (typical for all AUTOart disc brakes), not silver, so the discs are no longer visible, which is a pity.

Kyosho’s wheels look so very similar, it is hard to tell them apart. But they have just that sharper edge to the lines. They also have the valves. Similarly, the disc rotor is visible, behind the wheel vents, but the calliper is silver. However, turn the Kyosho upside down, and the rotors are silver and therefore more accurate.

AUTOart ‘s tyres are always gorgeous, in my view, amongst the very best in 1/18 and this Miura is not exception. They just look like real inflated tyres. Kyosho tyres are fine, but as with many Kyosho except their most recent releases, too shiny. But the Kyosho does have Michelin branded tyres  compared to the unbranded AUTOart.

AUTOart 7.5
Kyosho 7.5

Chassis

AUTOart’s Miura chassis is simply beautiful. Most of the chassis surface is flat but they included under vents, pipework, struts, connecting arms, hoses, anti-roll bars, strut braces everywhere. The front and rear double wishbone suspension is there, as are the springs, which look real and the shock absorbers beneath. The engine is painted silver, and looks plastic, but not the exhaust manifolds, which look like aluminium and have bronzed heat discolouration. Brilliant.

Kyosho, on first inspection is less impressive, simply because all the entire exhaust manifolds are black. I can’t see why Kyosho hasn’t brightened this up a bit because the detailing of the pipework is even more fine. And all the various hoses, bars, braces and suspension components.

But the Kyosho has one more trick up it’s sleeve. Fully functioning suspension. By this,  don’t mean oversized springs and disconnected suspension parts as on most models that are sprung. No, the Kyosho has fully functioning double wishbones, front and rear, pivoting on their joints. On this scale, that’s witchcraft.

AUTOart 9
Kyosho 9.5

Rear Clam Engine compartment

The AUTOart engine bay looks very nice, but then again, so it should, as it’s a scale representation of one of the most beautiful petrol engines ever made. Being transversely mounted, it’s not possible to see both banks of cylinder heads and carburettors but what can be seen is very nice. The air filters have scripts, the engine has ridges and there are red spark plug leads plumbed in. The chassis frame is also depicted nicely in black but is solid, and on the real car, the frame has drilled holes. The carburettors are separate items, with finely detailed ridges, finished in the same colour as the engine block. I would have preferred a slightly different shade of steel to pick them out.

The Kyosho engine bay looks very similar, and there’s not much to choose between them. Curiously, the chassis frame has chrome plating, which I’ve not seen in any picture of a real Miura. That said, the rear chassis frame suspension arms are fully functioning, which looks amazing. A very nice touch on the Kyosho is the frame has drilled holes for lightening the weight which again, shows the level of detail to which Kyosho have made with their Miura. A peculiar addition to the Kyosho is the working suspension support struts that are wonderful, but chrome plated, when they should be steel or alumium finished. It’s much harder to see the extra details in the Kyosho engine bay as it’s a busy area, but with a torch, you can spot the carburettors , which are separate items, painted brass, on top of plated mounts. Again, top marks for Kyosho for having taken the the trouble to paint the separate parts, but the carbs in the pictures I’ve seen are dull steel, and the engine doesn’t have chrome mounts.

AUTOArt 8.5
Kyosho 9.5

Front clam opening compartment

Open the front clam on the AUTOart and the collector is presented with a wealth of detail and interest, perhaps even more interesting than in the engine bay. The spare tyre is there of course, held in place with real rubber straps. There all sorts of cables,  hoses and fluid containers, all correctly painted and some labelled. The radiator at the front of the clam is present, in black, as are the twin radiator fans, painted in silver. The suspension systems is very clear, double wishbone, green painted springs and black metal framed chassis all add to the realistic look of this area of the model.

Open the front clam on the Kyosho, and you are presented with a very similar appearance. The sizes of the various parts is slightly different, the shape of this bottle, that cable, different, but all the same details are there, painted to be picked out by the observant enthusiast. Except for one difference. The Kyosho has that fully functioning suspension, that moves along the correct pivot points, and from this angle is even more impressive, as you push the model down and watch the spring and wishbones move up and down.
AUTOart 9

Kyosho 10

Rear storage Compartment

The rear storage compartments of both models is almost identical, so no difference here. Both are felted, dark grey on the AUTOart and black on the Kyosho. The AUTOart felting is slightly more fine, and correct for this scale. The compartment shape is rectangular on the AUTOart and on the Kyosho, but the Kyosho has a slight bend at each end, presumably because the mechanicals on the other side of the boot compartment distorted the regularity of the shape. The boot on both models open on small dog leg hinges, which is correct, but it’s the AUTOart that is more accurate by pushing the hinges to the ends of the boot lid, compared to the Kyosho which are slight more inset.

AUTOart 8.5
Kyosho 8

Interior

AUTOart present their Miura with an entirely black interior. Black seats, black dashboard, black door trim, black carpet. But look deeper, and there is plenty of detail. The carpet is flocked, the door trims have chrome plated handles. The open gear gate lever is photo-etched, as is the ash tray and the steering wheel spokes, and the rear speaker frames. The switchgear is all marked, and the instruments have legible numbers. Even the gear knob is marked pattern and numbers. It’s just that the seats and dashboard, side arms and door trims are too obviously black plastic. High quality, finely detailed but still black plastic. There’s not much effort to imply a leather texture.
Kyosho also present their Miura in black (making a direct comparison simpler). Black is the dominant colour and it’s very easy at first glance to miss the fine details, such as the photo-etched open gear gate, steering wheel spokes, flocked carpets and so on. Kyosho didn’t mark the gear knob, and used silver paint for the door trim but the overall look of the interior is superior and looks more like leather in texture. Kyosho also have included lap belts, which was an optional extra, perhaps but it’s still an added detail.

Both models have a separate roof panel, with a ventilated central ridge and the rear bulkhead glass through which one bank of carburettors can be seen. It’s a cool feature on the real Miura and no less so on these two models in 1/18 scale.

AUTOArt 8.5
Kyosho 9

Fittings and finish

AUTOart’s Muira front and rear grill have mesh detailing that is ventilated and looks correct in shape. Upon closer inspection, the rear grill has a blanking plate blocking a view of the engine. Furthermore, the honeycomb grills aren’t quite right, as they are in fact small slats. Viewed end on, the AUTOart looks fine, (except you can’t see through it) but at any angle, then shape of the grill vents looks, not exactly wrong, but only approximately right.

Kyosho’s front and rear grill are also ventilated, but here, Kyosho have made a blunder with the front grill. Instead of being made of a separate part as with the AUTOart (even the Welly Muira is made of separate part), the grill frame is part of the front clam die casting that has been plated black to simulate a separate part. This results in it being overscale and the wrong shape, which then distorts the shape of the side lights, as mentioned above. It means the the slender elegant forward sloping grill, is overscale and that’s why the front aspect of the two models looks so different. On the other hand, Kyosho rear grill is properly ventilated, so the engine compartment can glimpsed, and the honeycomb grill is slatted. The overall effect is lovely.

AUTOart B post door slats are made of thin separate parts, with a photo-etched chromed slat at the bottom, and a separate door button, all correct to 1/18 scale. Unfortunately, Kyosho B post door slats are part of the diecast painted black, which again makes them hopelessly over scale and course. The door button is part of the bottom slat chrome casting. Here again, AUTOart has gone to much trouble to give a refined detail whereas Kyosho looks as if it was cutting costs with these details.

AUTOart give their Muira a properly ventilated lower sill mesh,painted black but Kyosho stick a piece of photo-etched grill on top of plastic, incorrectly painted the same as the lower sill and overscale.

The Lamborghini badges on both models are excellent, the AUTOart being slightly smaller. However, the AUTOart badge has a gold painted Lamborghini lettering and gold painted edging, as does the Kyosho but their badge is polished and has the correct gold lettering and bull with silver edging. A very small detail that most modellers would have missed, but not Kyosho.

Side and rear badges on the AUTOart are in fact transfers or painted. Kyosho has proper photo-etched badges and even painted the rear badges correctly in black. Excellent details. (Curious, that on my Kyosho Muira the “B” for Bertone emblem is missing on the side but not on other examples I’ve seen posted on this forum).

There are two schools of thought about whether AUTOart’s Muira SV looks nicer for not having wing mirrors and a whip ariel on the roof compared to Kyosho’s inclusion of these details. Personally, I love all the details I can get on a model, even if it interrupts the lines, so I’m marking Kyosho up for having gone the extra bit here.

Kyosho has one further little party trick that AUTOart doesn’t and that is the opening front bonnet grill vent to reveal the refuelling cap. Again, not a detail that I would have particularly missed had it not been included, but credit to whoever it was at their model factory who designed this feature because it’s a lovely bit of detail to show off.

AUTOart 9
Kyosho 8

Value for Money

At the time of original release the AUTOart was retailing between £50 - £60 a pop, and the Kyosho at around £40. Kyosho’s cheaper price, may have been to persuade buyers who had already bought the AUTOart Muira that was released years earlier to buy another version of the same car, but for whatever reason, the prices of the AUTOart remain slightly more than the Kyosho. If they were both still available for those sort of prices today, I’d say that they were both 1/18 scale diecast bargains, but even though they’ve nearly doubled in cost, they still represent really good value for money. With all due respect to Welly and their fine Muira model, but try finding another Muira in 1/18 built to these standards, with all opening parts.

AUTOart 7
Kyosho 8.5

Conclusions

When Marcello Gandini first penned that beautiful body of the Muira to cover the chassis of the first production mid engine sports car in the world, he probably didn’t realise that the car that went on to become the P400 SV, would one day be sold at auctions for around a million dollars and than scale model collectors would be having debates like this.

What came as complete surprise from this study is how different the two of the leading diecast manufacturers came to make such different models of the same car. That is until, you study the real car and begin to appreciate that it has such subtle lines and curves that look different, depending upon the viewing angle. This makes it a very difficult subject for a diecast model, with hundreds of parts to built to be affordable and yet made to standard to satisfy the most discerning of collectors. And to be in competition with another model manufacturer, with a reputation equal only to their own.

So which is the best? In terms of detailing, features, fittings and model craft, I would have to say it was the Kyosho. It has more features, more parts, more for the collector to admire and explore whilst the model is on the desk. And it has that working suspension. It also looks to my eyes anyway, to be the wrong shape. Somehow, AUTOart’s Miura, despite having some major misgivings about the front window shape, just looks more like a Miura SV. It looks edgier, sharper, flatter, more exotic.  I think it’s the front grill shape on the Kyosho that gives the lower half the model just a little more substance that is really there on the real car. The AUTOart by comparison isn’t hamstrung by attempting to make a piece of diecast look like a finescale grill because they have used a separate part, and so the model from the lower half, I think is more correct and overall shape is more balanced.

I could be wrong. I’ve spent hours looking at Joe Sackey’s fantastic book and magazines, and of course the pictures on the web and to be honest, from some angles the AUTOart looks to be more correct and from others, it’s the Kyosho.

But here’s the strangest thing. Despite my having concluded that the AUTOart is probably the more accurate model in terms of shape, the Kyosho to me, is the more desirable as a model in it’s purest sense as something that you would want in your collection. It just makes you think of the real thing whilst it sits on your table,  whilst you explore all those features and details that Kyosho added (probably because their model was released years later  when the industry had advanced). It just has more character and brings a bigger smile to your face.The AUTOart is almost too clinical and that's not what a Lamborghini Miura is.

I therefore will keep the Kyosho and sell the AUTOart. (And probably regret it).Thank you for reading. Let me know what your own views are.

Edited by kitefighter, 03 September 2014 - 04:46 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

...but nobody's yet done a side by side comparison in same colour kitefighter!   :10:   Actually I'm surprised how different they are!!  :omg:
Great thread, and I'm looking forward to your written comparison....  :hope:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Diego Villavicencio

Diego Villavicencio

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 1599 posts
  • Favorite Brands:MR, Frontiart, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: ec

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Finally some good comparison

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2189 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

love the orange shade. Autoart one does look "cleaner" without the wing mirrors and antenna. I actually prefer the driving lights on AUTOart more as the one on Kyosho looks a bit protruding.

Regardless both are fantastic models I will take both any day  :hope:

#5 OFFLINE   mt_jt

mt_jt

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1042 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.
  • Proud Citizen of: kr

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

Can't wait to read your comparison Kitefighter. I have the red and gold Kyosho SV and Welly one in yellow. I'm thinking about replacing the Welly with a Kyosho P400S in orange. I love the Miura and hope to eventually have all three production versions plus a Jota (Kyosho why are you taking so long with the purple and silver ones?).
Please post lots of photos and get OCD on details and differences!

#6 OFFLINE   guggga

guggga

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2500 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference.
  • Proud Citizen of: in

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

Very nice pics KF! I believe the Kyosho looks more curvaceous, whereas the Autoart is more "angular". I hope to find a Kyosho P400 S for my collection someday. Currently I have the Welly versions that looks exactly like the Autoart in the pics.

5 pages long... I can;t wait to read ur review now!

#7 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts
  • Interests:Family. LFC. F1. WEC. Model Cars. Movies. The Grand Tour. Top Gear
  • Favorite Brands:Gulf & Martini Porsche's.
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

Very good comparison pics... If i had to pick one, i would go for the Kyo...  :occasion14:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" If one does not fail at times, Then one has not challenged himself "

Ferdinand Porsche.

My Showcase Pictures.... Click here

#8 OFFLINE   guywithazonda

guywithazonda

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3678 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: ad

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

Enjoyed this slideshow, nice comparison.

Even though they're both SVs, how come they're so different? The one on the right has a larger rear grill.

#9 OFFLINE   Gavin

Gavin

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 9008 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

View Postguggga, on 22 April 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

I believe the Kyosho looks more curvaceous, whereas the Autoart is more "angular".

I was thinking the same thing.  I have the silver Kyosho & still think other than the nice wide rear track on the AUTOart (& Welly), the Kyosho is my favorite.

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

Hello,

Thanks for all the encouragement above. I've now added my side by side review, which I hope isn't too much of an ordeal to read. I'll also add some more picture later.

Cheers.

#11 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

An excellent read kitefighter!   :10:   Nothing to do with the fact that this is probably my favourite all time 1:1 and model.....    :wavetowel2:

If you don't mind me saying, I do feel that it would be better if the images were (also) inserted into the text rather than having to cross-refer at every stage.... :twocents:

HOWEVER IMHO this is without doubt the finest comparison thread that I've read -  thank you for taking the time to compile it!  :occasion14:

Fast Eddy's

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   mt_jt

mt_jt

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

You delivered on this one Kitefighter. Great writeup and a very interesting read. I agree with mairandeddy that it might have been easier for the reader to just insert the pics within the text but that's not a complaint, just an observation.
Thanks, always such a fascinating model to look at in detail and debate about!

#13 OFFLINE   mt_jt

mt_jt

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

Forgot to add also that even though AUTOart & Kyosho have modeled the same version of the Miura, the Kyosho version is representative of a fully specced car which includes airconditioning, seatbelts, mirrors, radio etc. etc. No two Miura were ever the same and there were many minor differences depending on how much the customer wanted and how much $$$ they were prepared to pay to have it done.
The weird thing with the Kyosho SV is that it appears have the S model front grille rather than the SV. The nose has the deeper more curved look which the earlier models had. The grill lights are not the correct shape for the SV although Swiss SV's did receive the all white lenses like the Kyosho has.

#14 OFFLINE   guggga

guggga

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2500 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

Excellent read KF! Thanks for taking the time to put together this comprehensive review. I always wanted the Kyosho, now I'll just have to go and hunt one down!

#15 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

View Postmairandeddy, on 24 April 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

An excellent read kitefighter!   :10:   Nothing to do with the fact that this is probably my favourite all time 1:1 and model.....    :wavetowel2:

If you don't mind me saying, I do feel that it would be better if the images were (also) inserted into the text rather than having to cross-refer at every stage.... :twocents:

HOWEVER IMHO this is without doubt the finest comparison thread that I've read -  thank you for taking the time to compile it!  :occasion14:

Hello there,

Thank you so much for your kind words above. Yes, I quite take your point about posting pictures alongside each point. I will edit the review when I have a moment.

View Postmt_jt, on 24 April 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

You delivered on this one Kitefighter. Great writeup and a very interesting read. I agree with mairandeddy that it might have been easier for the reader to just insert the pics within the text but that's not a complaint, just an observation.
Thanks, always such a fascinating model to look at in detail and debate about!

Many thanks for your kind words and yes, I agree, that pictures to illustrate the points I was making would have been helpful.

View Postmt_jt, on 24 April 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

Forgot to add also that even though AUTOart & Kyosho have modeled the same version of the Miura, the Kyosho version is representative of a fully specced car which includes airconditioning, seatbelts, mirrors, radio etc. etc. No two Miura were ever the same and there were many minor differences depending on how much the customer wanted and how much $$$ they were prepared to pay to have it done.
The weird thing with the Kyosho SV is that it appears have the S model front grille rather than the SV. The nose has the deeper more curved look which the earlier models had. The grill lights are not the correct shape for the SV although Swiss SV's did receive the all white lenses like the Kyosho has.

Good point about Lamborghini's being different from each other when they were hand made at the old factory. I hadn't realised the point about the Kyosho grill being from an S. I think you've picked up the most likely reason Kyosho's Miura looks different.

View Postguggga, on 25 April 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

Excellent read KF! Thanks for taking the time to put together this comprehensive review. I always wanted the Kyosho, now I'll just have to go and hunt one down!

Thank you. I've seen quite a few around on ebay and not for silly money. Having said that, if you had the AUTOart, you would not be disappointed.

#16 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30225 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

A great comparison thread, you've covered all bases ther ein great detail  :clap:

I've had both models from both makers, the AUTOart car I had was Yellow - not my favourite colour, I'd much rather have had Orange or Green, but I got with a couple of other models so I had no choice.

The Kyosho I had was a Minichamps / Kyosho special edition one, one of 996 models, it was Black with Silver sills.

Of the two I preferred the Kyosho model, detail wise yeah I liked the suspension set up on it and the opening cap on the front section.
My Black car was part of the 'Gorgeous collection' and it had pop up headlights.

With regards to the B decal for Bertone, I've read a lot on here about them falling off, it doesn't bother me too much, I prefer the car without it anyway. It's happened to one of my other Kyosho models, one of them has gone walkabout.

The AUTOart one looked ok, but it just didn't grab me like the Kyosho did - I think partly due to the colour.

Either way if I were to buy another one Kyosho would get my money.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#17 OFFLINE   mt_jt

mt_jt

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostCraig, on 26 April 2013 - 06:19 AM, said:

A great comparison thread, you've covered all bases ther ein great detail  :clap:

I've had both models from both makers, the AUTOart car I had was Yellow - not my favourite colour, I'd much rather have had Orange or Green, but I got with a couple of other models so I had no choice.

The Kyosho I had was a Minichamps / Kyosho special edition one, one of 996 models, it was Black with Silver sills.

Of the two I preferred the Kyosho model, detail wise yeah I liked the suspension set up on it and the opening cap on the front section.
My Black car was part of the 'Gorgeous collection' and it had pop up headlights.

With regards to the B decal for Bertone, I've read a lot on here about them falling off, it doesn't bother me too much, I prefer the car without it anyway. It's happened to one of my other Kyosho models, one of them has gone walkabout.

The AUTOart one looked ok, but it just didn't grab me like the Kyosho did - I think partly due to the colour.

It's not so much them falling off rather them not being put on there for some strange reason in the first place.
Same  thing with the indicators - weird.

Edited by mt_jt, 26 April 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

Thanks for the complimentary remarks about my review. I quite like the yellow Miura SV, probably because it was known to be Rod Stewart's car, a well known Lamborghini collector. But I think the black Kyosho looks even nicer, and I can understand why you prefer it. Which do you still own?

View Postmt_jt, on 26 April 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

It's not so much them falling off rather them not being put on there for some strange reason in the first place.

I feel the same way. It doesn't particularly bother me, but it seems a strange thing to do, if the feature is on other models by the same manufacturer. Perhaps they are built in batch runs, and the models with the side repeat indicators and photo-etched "b" emblem are later editions.

#19 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

View Postkitefighter, on 22 April 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

Side and rear badges on the AUTOart are in fact transfers or painted. Kyosho has proper photo-etched badges and even painted the rear badges correctly in black. Excellent details. (Curious, that on my Kyosho Muira the “B” for Bertone emblem is missing on the side but not on other examples I’ve seen posted on this forum).

View Postmt_jt, on 26 April 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Funny thing is that on one of my Kyosho Jotas, the Bertone emblem came straight off when i touched it....also one of front turn indicators is missing!! :gaah:

Fast Eddy's

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   Diego Villavicencio

Diego Villavicencio

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 1599 posts
  • Favorite Brands:MR, Frontiart, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: ec

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

What an amazing review

Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   mt_jt

mt_jt

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:48 AM

View PostDiego Villavicencio, on 09 December 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

What an amazing review

Yep, gets my vote for one of the all-time best reviews ever here. Just goes to show that even a seemingly well worn theme can be explained and visualised by someone through fresh eyes to give a fresh appreciation of the models in question.
Interesting how even after seeing these Miura's virtually side by side there is STILL no common consensus as to which is "The Best".
Interesting also that there appears to be next to no interest in the latest Miura Jota SVJ's just released despite the love the older releases get.

#22 OFFLINE   ABARTH8

ABARTH8

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 390 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: it

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Thank You for this comparison!!
Visit my collection : http://jordanscars.forumfree.it/

#23 OFFLINE   haveblue

haveblue

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 209 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, CMC

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

I actually gave up on buying a Miura model because I couldn't figure out which one was better between the AutoArt and Kyosho models or if I should just get a Welly one. Thanks for the detailed comparison, you've made up my mind for me!

#24 OFFLINE   CPhT

CPhT

• DX Community
  • 1 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, AutoArt, Kyosho, some MiniChanps.

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:04 AM

Hello.

I have a Kyosho Miura SVRJ # kyo8311P.
Also a Kyosho Miura S.
I want to add aSV to complete the collection.
Both are in Orange.
My ONLY consideration, is if you look at all 3 from the rear, I would like the differences in the rear stance, I.E. fender flares, to be as noticeable as possible.
Based upon this, Would you recommend the Kyosho or Autoart ?
Since you appear to have both in your collection, I presume you can make a qualified answer.
Thank You
Mark C.

**edit by mairandeddy - see PM**

#25 OFFLINE   PacMan

PacMan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 380 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Everything

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

This is one of the best comparative reviews I have ever read. So detailed and yet clear and concise! Excellent thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.