Indepth look at FX's DB9 - Welly | FX | GT Autos - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Indepth look at FX's DB9

6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   VRVPROD

VRVPROD

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 540 posts
  • Favorite Brands:All!
  • Proud Citizen of: sg

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

Posted Image

Modern Aston Martins are awe inspiring pieces of engineering. Coupling sleek coupe bodies with large V12s and a luxurious full leather interior, Aston has built the perfect GT cars for crossing several continents quickly and comfortably. In reality, they are brilliant cars, but how would one look scaled down 18 times on someone’s display cabinet? FX fancied their chances to recreate the essence of the DB9 in the form of a displayable model, but have they pulled it off? Let’s get underneath its skin to find out.

Posted Image

Just like any other car(be it a scale model or a 1/1), the first thing that catches one’s eyes is the body of the car. It is no exception in this case. Let’s start with paint. Colour-wise, it looks pretty similar to the original. However, the finish is way off. The paint finish is inconsistent across the entire car, with vast patches of orange peel along the roof and the left rear quarter, and a slightly dull finish on the right. The shape looks accurate, although mould lines that resides underneath the skin of the car along the front headlights ruin the flow. With that, we should shift our attention to how the car sits. It is a reasonable height of the ground, with a similar stance to that of the 1/1, but the rear wheels do not sit flush with the rear quarter. Also, the panel gaps between that doors and the body are appauling, and every vent on the rear is just textured plastic. The headlights on the car look detailed enough, but the taillights and the 3rd brake light lets the package down; the taillights lack depth and the 3rd brake light is simply painted on. Talking about poorly detailed lights, I should mention that the reflectors beside the rear exhausts are simply painted on, rather than a separate piece. Also, all the logos are textures rather than actual emblems. It isn’t all bad however; the undercarriage is really nicely detailed. That said, the use of crap plastics makes it feel nasty and cheap.

Let’s move on to FX’s speciality- the interior. Like I previously mentioned, the FX Aventador has the best interior of any 1/18 diecast I have ever owned, with every single nook and cranny perfectly replicated in 1/18 form. It looks as though that is an honour it gets to keep. On first glance, the DB9’s interior seems to be of the same high standard as compared to the other FXs, but on further inspection, they have cut some corners. But rather than bore you with the negatives, let’s start by talking about what FX did right on the car. The dials are perfect, and so is the centre console. I have seen pictures of the AUTOart’s attempt at Aston’s centre stack, and I have to admit, FX did it better. The floor is flocked, and the seats have well detailed belts. However, the interior is let down by poorly detailed door cards and the painted on switch gear for the electric seats.

The list of negatives don’t end there. The engine very badly done, with FX using the wrong fonts for the ‘Aston Martin’ and ‘6.0l V12’ inscriptions on the air box, and the omission of several important details such as the  reservoir for windscreen washers and the radiator fill cap.

So what can we open and close on this slightly disappointing rendition of a DB9? The doors, boot and bonnet open. Being FX, they opted for simple doglegs to save on costs. I for one can’t give two hoots about fancy struts and hinge assemblies, although I have to agree that the doglegs are way too large.

As a diecast manufacturer, Welly has certainly come a long way. However, if you judge it solely by their DB9, then the likes of AUTOart and Kyosho would have nothing to worry about. This is by no means a Kyosho or AUTOart quality model, but with a couple of tweaks, it could start to challenge them. It’s pricewise that FX mounts a big challenge to their established rivals. At under 78 USD, it is really not too bad. If you are an Aston fanboy then I suggest you give this a miss and wait for some other manufacturer to give it a crack. If however, you are the sort that derives pleasure from tinkering with whatever you have on hand, then this is the perfect model for you, for it would really shine with the right mods done to it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Do visit http://www.vrvdc.com...martin-db9.html for more pictures! (Admins please remove if I am breaching any of the rules :D )

Edited by VRVPROD, 04 August 2013 - 12:14 AM.

Visit my diecast website! http://www.vrvdc.com/

Latest 'Loots':
1/18 Autoart Nissan GTR R33
1/18 Autoart Lamborghini LP570-4 STS
1/18 Maisto Playerz Range Rover

1/18 Norev Mercedes S600
1/18 Anson Lamborghini Miura

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   baonguyen77

baonguyen77

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 1451 posts
  • Interests:collecting models, playing the piano, watching MMA
  • Favorite Brands:Spark, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

Great reviews, thank you for taking your time to write this up.

#3 OFFLINE   guywithazonda

guywithazonda

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3678 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.
  • Proud Citizen of: ad

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

Great review and photos. Looks like a really well made model.

#4 OFFLINE   rac3r

rac3r

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2397 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

I just bought this in the same colour! I may try and change the wheel caliper colour though

Thanks for the pics and write up!

#5 OFFLINE   mobius

mobius

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1456 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, and Elite.
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

Good write-up. I've thought about getting this model in black because the orange peel is less noticeable. At $80, orange peel is not acceptable in my opinion. I think Norev spoiled me. My $60 Norev Porsche GT3 997's paint jobs is flawless and is equal to that of Autoart's and better than some Kyosho's.

#6 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the review VRV, it certainly has all one would need to make an informed decision on the AM.  :occasion14:  :10:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   VRVPROD

VRVPROD

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 540 posts
  • Favorite Brands:All!
  • Proud Citizen of: sg

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for all the comments! I really appreciate it. The car would look better if FX decided to cut corners in areas that we dont normally get to see.
Visit my diecast website! http://www.vrvdc.com/

Latest 'Loots':
1/18 Autoart Nissan GTR R33
1/18 Autoart Lamborghini LP570-4 STS
1/18 Maisto Playerz Range Rover

1/18 Norev Mercedes S600
1/18 Anson Lamborghini Miura

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.