DiecastXchange Forum banner

1:16 vs 1:18 - help needed

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  T0nyGTSt 
G
#1 · (Edited)
:feedback

Here's a dumb question from a new member:

Tonka-Polistil make some of their models in 1:16 scale instead of 1:18. Is there a big difference between the two, or is the difference really negligiable?

If I added a 1:16 to a 1:18 collection, would I notice the difference?

I could use some advice from veteran collectors. I bid on ebay for what was listed as a 1:18 Tonka-Polistil Ferrari 288 GTO, but it turns out the item is actually 1:16 scale.

(For anyone who noticed, sorry for the mistaken post before under the heading "exotic ferraris"...that was supposed to be a reply to another post, not its own topic.)

#2 ·
Thats a very good question nojo. A good example for this would be burago's z3. Place it in front of a ut z3 and you should get your answer. The burago z3 is huge. Looks bigger than even the UT 328is. And UTs are known to be true to scale.
The burago is 1:16. Made to fit in the standard box. By itself it wouldnt look bad, but place it next to something thats true to scale and you would begin to feel queasy. Same goes for 1:20. They look small. Again buragos 500k is smaller than what it should be. Place it in front of the maisto 500k and it begins to feel like an imp. And some consider even the maisto to be smaller than 1:18.
Hope you got your answer. :cheers

#4 ·
And the mecedes ML class from Maisto is very small for 1:18, i think it's like 1:20.
But, there are some models that the manufactor saying it's 1:16. For example- the Custom Van from Highway61 is 1:16 and near another 1:18 models it's looks good so have no problem in 1:18 collection.

Many models have problem of not being exact 1:18. most cases it's very small defect but there are few who are really out of scale

#6 ·
Welcome to DX nojo!

I have to say in my own opinion that models even slightly off scale really can look out of place in a collection. 1:16ths look huge compared to 1:18ths. The Bburrago Mini (the original one) is 1:16th and is nearly as big as a Ford Focus (in 1:18th that is!) It just looks wrong to me! I have a Polstil Porsche 911 Turbo I got as a present 13 years ago and it is over in my parents house. It has never been part of my collection and it looks terrible!!! A great toy, but a terrible scale model! :cheers

#8 ·
The easiest way for me to discribe the difference is when you compare a 1:1 Chevy Tahoe and a Chevy Suburban with each other. The Suburban is roughly 2+ feet longer then the Tahoe. You don't notice the difference that much until you park them side-by-side.

Another would be the Lincoln Navigator and the Aviator. The Avaitor is a scaled version of the Navigator. People often confused them until they are parked next to each other.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum!

G
#9 ·
I came across this issue the other day.

I cleaned up my Burago 1:18 Jaguar E-Type.

Here it is next to my Hot Wheels F550 Maranello.

http://home.exetel.com.au/tony/jag_comp1.jpg

http://home.exetel.com.au/tony/jag_comp2.jpg

The F550 is based on a UT mold I'm told.

It is accurate in size as compared to my Kyosho models.

Look how big the Jag is!

It certainly is nowhere near that big in real life - if anything it's a smallish car.

Also check out Burago's 1:18 250GTO - it's huge!

T.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.