DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The electric automotive revolution is on the move and becoming more diverse with almost each & every new release. This is for the betterment of enticing consumers to switch over to fully or partially electric vehicles. I mean, we all need more than Priuses and Teslas. At least I do.

I understand that shapes and forms matter for the sake of aerodynamics and efficiency, but some past models were down right drap in their appearances. I for one am glad to see more "conventional" looking hybrids & full EV plug-in automobiles. That said, these two dynamic twins look amazing in reality. Very low slung and attractive. Porsche/Audi have down vehicles that make the Tesla Model S look rather generic IMO from my own personal design perspective. Then again, I always felt like Tesla's products needs a dose of vibrance and variation in their range of products.

So, the hard question is between Audi's RS e-Tron GT & Porsche's Taycan, which one would you choose and why? For me, it's really a hard decision, because I have seen the Taycan on the road and sitting next to me in my 6er Gran Coupe, it felt lower wider and bodacious from the rear. That said, I have only seen the Audi in our local dealership which sits above ground at chest level and I can't really judge it in the same way from that viewpoint.
I want to like the face of the Audi more as it has a lot more character, but at the same time, I like the cleaner Porsche's rear graphic a lot more. The Porsche has a "pure" clean aesthetic whereas the muscular Audi comes across as something you might see in sci-fi or an action movie driven by a "S.H.I.E.L.D." agent. Hard choice, but wheels do matter here. I am NOT a fan of the wheels used on these two models and I think that I need to lower my Porsche a bit overall (especially at the rear). I'm still on the fence as to which one I like best.

On to the model. First, I was shocked after I ordered my Audi to find out that it was a sealed Norev. I had totally expected it to also be a PMA/Minichamps' release. That said, I must make the assumption that Audi (and Porsche) were good with or requested sealed models during development to hide construction/components? Either way, Norev and PMA should have given us access to their interiors or a separate modular battery pack for some additional interest to then bottom of the chassis/platform "skateboards".
Of course, with today's access to CAD for 3D development, the body/interior specs are all accurate shape wise. However, I would like to see more added details. I can honestly say that I added these models as I like their designs and find teh 1/1s interesting, and for nothing more. I'm rather disappointed with the fact that Norev and PMA are releasing dull sealed models. At least when the Chinese do EV miniatures, they are fully opening 360 access examples, with detailed highlights such as plug-in charger door covers, battery packs that release and even detailed electric motors for a lot less than what I paid for these two sealed bodies.
It's up to you as collectors, but fingers crossed that the Chinese will also do these models with full access, so that I can move up to something more significant which represents these two monumental vehicles.

Begin...

Two of a kind... Audi RS e-Tron GT & Porsche Taycan (Platform Twins)

Which Shall It Be?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Aha!

Here is the review I've been waiting for. I want to order the Audi eTron GT to accompany my 1:18 Tesla Model S (which I'm a big fan of) but kinda on a fence since it is a sealed model.
Honestly your photos are much better than the online pics I've seen. So thanks for posting these and based on this I think I will add one soon!

Paint job looks great but I may want to black out the silver parts of the wheels if I get one.

The Audi looks fresh indeed and my personal opinion is a better looking car vs. the Taycan. Congrats on the addition!!

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha!

Here is the review I've been waiting for. I want to order the Audi eTron GT to accompany my 1:18 Tesla Model S (which I'm a big fan of) but kinda on a fence since it is a sealed model.
Honestly your photos are much better than the online pics I've seen. So thanks for posting these and based on this I think I will add one soon!

Paint job looks great but I may want to black out the silver parts of the wheels if I get one.

The Audi looks fresh indeed and my personal opinion is a better looking car vs. the Taycan. Congrats on the addition!!
Glad that you can now decided if these models are worthy enough for your collection! I'd like to see the Audi set against the Tesla in one of your photo shoots Stefanus!!

Thanks, I am glad that my pics were good enough to help you make a choice on adding or passing one or both of these models.
BTW, the paint jobs on both are well done, as they are sealed, the paint is even and well applied on both.
I'm curious to see if blacking out the wheels helps the overall look on the e-Tron GT. That said, IDK why they debuted the cars withe the worse looking wheels in their line
up..IMO.

I agree, something about teh Audi looks better. I liek itas a whole, whereas I like bits and pieces of the Porsche.

·
Registered
313 Posts
As a Audi fanboy, I am quite a fan of the e-Tron GT, as it looks like an A7/S7/RS7, but with more curves. As an EV, there isn't a need for a large grill that is typical of Audis, so I was glad they took advantage of different materials to maintain that signature "grill" design. I also like this grey exterior, but I would not pick those rims and would prefer a more interesting interior colour. I test drove the Porsche Taycan 4S but was a little underwhelmed by the interior/re-gen braking; I also feel the design of the Taycan is somewhat awkward compared to the Panamera and is unlikely to age well. The high pitched artificial sound of the Taycan is also quite annoying.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a Audi fanboy, I am quite a fan of the e-Tron GT, as it looks like an A7/S7/RS7, but with more curves. As an EV, there isn't a need for a large grill that is typical of Audis, so I was glad they took advantage of different materials to maintain that signature "grill" design. I also like this grey exterior, but I would not pick those rims and would prefer a more interesting interior colour. I test drove the Porsche Taycan 4S but was a little underwhelmed by the interior/re-gen braking; I also feel the design of the Taycan is somewhat awkward compared to the Panamera and is unlikely to age well. The high pitched artificial sound of the Taycan is also quite annoying.
Hey!!! I'm there with you on the RS e-Tron GT, I think overall, it looks a bit more interesting than the Porsche variant. I like the Porsche's Rear end, the face, not as much. Although, I like the Taycan as well, but I LOVE the G2 Panamera a lot more.

Also, everything that you have said, Better wheels, more interersting interior color, I TOTALLY 1000% Agree.
Plus, they could have given us opening doors, and trunks/frunks as they had done with teh RS5 E-Tron SUV model
At least that would justify their pricing IMO, if it opened.

I haven't driven either, but have seen videos of teh Porsche with it's sound effects. I could see what you mean with it being annoying artificially. CHEERS!

·
Registered
158 Posts
In my opinion, Audi priced it too high in North America. Before I ordered my RS5, I considered replacing my e-tron with the GT sedan, but here in Canada, even the non-RS version cost quite a bit more than an RS6 or even RS7. Hell, even the Porsche Taycan 4S is cheaper than the base e-tron GT. That was not expected... Audi version of a Porsche should cost less, not same or more. Lots of features are also optional and the packages are very expensive.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my opinion, Audi priced it too high in North America. Before I ordered my RS5, I considered replacing my e-tron with the GT sedan, but here in Canada, even the non-RS version cost quite a bit more than an RS6 or even RS7. Hell, even the Porsche Taycan 4S is cheaper than the base e-tron GT. That was not expected... Audi version of a Porsche should cost less, not same or more. Lots of features are also optional and the packages are very expensive.
I would totally go for the Taycan then. It looks better in person to me for some reason. I like both, but, if you can get a Porsche for less sooner, get the Porsche for sure! 😊

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would totally go for the Taycan then. It looks better in person to me for some reason. I like both, but, if you can get a Porsche for less sooner, get the Porsche for sure! 😊
The other unfortunate thing about Porsche Canada; we don't have the RWD Taycan version, which is actually MUCH cheaper than the e-tron GT, even though it is also less powerful and slower, it is very fun to drive, being RWD, and Porsche's steering is better. What a shame, I would have had the RWD Taycan already, if it was offered. Also, due to pandemic, working from home, I don't do any overtime, so I make less per month than normal (with another six or so months to go) and leasing a 150,000$ CAD car becomes fiscally irresponsible... The RS5 is already at the limit of my budget.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The other unfortunate thing about Porsche Canada; we don't have the RWD Taycan version, which is actually MUCH cheaper than the e-tron GT, even though it is also less powerful and slower, it is very fun to drive, being RWD, and Porsche's steering is better. What a shame, I would have had the RWD Taycan already, if it was offered. Also, due to pandemic, working from home, I don't do any overtime, so I make less per month than normal (with another six or so months to go) and leasing a 150,000$ CAD car becomes fiscally irresponsible... The RS5 is already at the limit of my budget.
WOW, I assume that Porsche was factoring that it snows a lot in Canada and thought that someone buying a Taycan would probably be buying it for more practical than fun reasons as per say a 911? :unsure:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts