DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

with spring finally arriving, time for hobby work starts.

several bburago ferrari cars are in line for work and first to get proper attention is 288 GTO.

First i started with the engine/interior, here are the photos :

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Toy Rim

Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Toy Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Toy

Product Motor vehicle Toy Vehicle Automotive design

Engineering Office equipment Electronic instrument Machine Font

Detailing work on interior comes in next days time.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Very interested to see how this turns out. I inherited one of these from my BIL when he was cleaning out his childhood home since his parents were moving.

I always thought the details on this one were pretty bad (wheels especially) so I’m curious to see how it goes. I’ve never sat down and detailed a model so this could be a fun one to mess with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interested to see how this turns out. I inherited one of these from my BIL when he was cleaning out his childhood home since his parents were moving.

I always thought the details on this one were pretty bad (wheels especially) so I’m curious to see how it goes. I’ve never sat down and detailed a model so this could be a fun one to mess with.
For me personally most of old bburago has great potential, most of the details are there ready to be highlighted, sure there are some hit and miss ones but ferraris are mostly ok,

regarding the wheels bburago did 288 and testarossa with same sets of wheels, they are more suited for testarossa so i decided for a classic move, puting 4 front bburago f40 wheels on gto.

cheers

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Great effort with the engine detailing! Always love to follow the humble Bburago 288GTO rebuild. I too used the F40 wheels on my 288GTO before although I personally find using the F40 rear wheels on the 288GTO gives you the staggered wheels setup look but the rear wheels do stick out slightly unless one is to do some modification to get them sit flush with the rear wheel guard.

I once bought a few sets of F40 wheels from an Italian seller and they used have heaps of them for cheap this way I didn't have to source out 2 sets of Bburago F40 and sacrifice them for parts. Not sure if the seller still has those for sale.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys, after a big setback caused by failed flock attempt i decided to dissemble another gto and bin the previous project.

I was not very happy but at least i got a chance to improve a lot of details in comparison with what i made first time.

so lets start again with the engine, it was ok first time but not enough for me to be happy, this time i used more precise choice of colors.

Land vehicle Black Motor vehicle Toy Vehicle

Automotive tire Toy Motor vehicle Machine gun Gas

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Toy

after the engine it was time for another dreaded attempt to make interior carpet

Office equipment Audio equipment Electronic instrument Machine Gadget

Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Bag Automotive design Car seat

with great relief carpet came out pretty decent, it has some occasional bald spots but i can live with it.

after successful flocking i did other interior parts

Input device Peripheral Grey Gadget Electronic instrument

Watch Automotive design Bumper Watch accessory Automotive tire

Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Gadget Cable

the rims came out very nice

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

i am still not sure should i cover the bburago wheel pegs or should i leave it as original....

more small details

Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Auto part

that is all for now, will be back with more updates.

cheers!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looking good.
The wheels nuts on the 288 GTO are closed at the ends not open with a safety clip as on the F40. I have the Hotwheels version and the nuts are the same, but I will fill them in. I also have the Tremonia Trankit for mine which has some nice PE grills to replace the relief castings, but that will involve some serious metal bashing. I'll be using dolls house carpeting when I get around to doing mine as I had quite a nice result with it on my Bburago E Type, but I must give flocking a go sometime. As to the thin areas on yours, it looks like they will be obscured by the seats so no worries.
Cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking good.
The wheels nuts on the 288 GTO are closed at the ends not open with a safety clip as on the F40. I have the Hotwheels version and the nuts are the same, but I will fill them in. I also have the Tremonia Trankit for mine which has some nice PE grills to replace the relief castings, but that will involve some serious metal bashing. I'll be using dolls house carpeting when I get around to doing mine as I had quite a nice result with it on my Bburago E Type, but I must give flocking a go sometime. As to the thin areas on yours, it looks like they will be obscured by the seats so no worries.
Cheers,
Peter
Hi Peter,
I got tremonia kits and also from autograph germany with various ferrari decals and photoetch, so basicaly i got more options to choose from, however im not sure how to approach things because bburago pegs can go outside of the rims and that would surely cause nuts to fall off, but that are sweet worries now.

Regarding the flock i went the tradional route first applying clear matte enamel then covering it with flock powder, it turned out 90 % covered so i am pretty content.

Greetings

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
i am still not sure should i cover the bburago wheel pegs or should i leave it as original....
I reckon they will look better if you patch the hole up. It maybe minor but I was annoyed by the exposed stubs on these older Bburagos. I used the round prancing horse decal from the Ferrari decal sheet and stick it over the exposed hole on the Ferrari 456. They are a little oversized and not exactly ideal but at least that covers the eye sore LOL. I used to buy some F40 wheel sets which I believe was fabricated by a hobbyist and one of the sets I got actually has closed center cap. The other sets have the same exposed hole just like the one on Bburago F40.

more small details

View attachment 273453

that is all for now, will be back with more updates.

cheers!
I wonder if it would makes any difference if you were to say.. put a layer of thin transparent plastic over the tiny integrated indicators to give them bit more depth and realism? I never tried with mine before only painted them like what you did but i always wonder if that would improves the look at all?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I reckon they will look better if you patch the hole up. It maybe minor but I was annoyed by the exposed stubs on these older Bburagos. I used the round prancing horse decal from the Ferrari decal sheet and stick it over the exposed hole on the Ferrari 456. They are a little oversized and not exactly ideal but at least that covers the eye sore LOL. I used to buy some F40 wheel sets which I believe was fabricated by a hobbyist and one of the sets I got actually has closed center cap. The other sets have the same exposed hole just like the one on Bburago F40.

I wonder if it would makes any difference if you were to say.. put a layer of thin transparent plastic over the tiny integrated indicators to give them bit more depth and realism? I never tried with mine before only painted them like what you did but i always wonder if that would improves the look at all?
Hey, regarding the indicators that is a great idea!

I can actually use original bburago transparent cover from the box, will think it trough sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve been low key looking for basket case F40s to harvest the wheels off of to no avail.

This is going to look so good when it’s done.
Hi, here in europe you can find them in good shape without box for around 20 euros,lucky for me i had an old never completed f40 kit from bburago, it had 3 front wheels (one spare)
Then i took another spare out from old beaten car and good to go 😀

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Those Bburago F40 seems to be getting some attention from collectors now and they aren't cheap anymore I noticed. I remember many years ago I bought a few sets of the F40 wheels from scuderiamodelli.eu in both silver and gold colour. Sadly it looks like they have completely sold out now. I also sold a set on to a fellow collector here from NZ.

I suppose one other way would be to buy a set from KK-Scale since they also sell them. Heck perhaps you can even buy a set from the 288GTO. The only issue is that i am not sure about how well would they fit into the existing model.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would have thought that you could file a flat on the end of the axle stub sufficient to clear the rim, so you could add the etched nut cover from the Tremonia kit.

If you have not seen this thread by @X-Filer, you may find it useful as he's done an excellent upgrade on two of the Bb models.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Filing the stubs is smart idea and i actually thought about it yesterday, will see...

I checked out the topic by x-filer, amazing work, i like the work under the car he made.

Today i decided to use the spare body i was left when i took out another interior for project and simply retouch it adding black stripes and trim.

So the plan is to make one retouched body and one heavily modified and repainted in ferrari yellow.

Cheers

·
Registered
803 Posts
@P A D exactly, the axle stub is a hemisphere so it can be chopped or sanded down just enough to clear the tip of the wheel nut, hence, allowing you to attach the photoetched parts and successfully cover those holes. This really should be the correct finish, since the GTO has only one centre-lock nut per wheel (Ferrari actually provided a specific tool to fit this specific nut).

REgarding the front indicators, if you've got the Tremonia kit, you'll notice there are 4 small rectangles which are meant to be painted with clear varnish (so they actually look like lenses). An alternative would be to paint them like you did and than apply a series of coats of clear varnish until it's flush with the bumper surface. I went for the former.

Great work you're doing there, your engine painting sure is much more perfect than what I achieved, as for the flocking, something I dread almost as much as paintjobs (hence I use the velvet adhesive paper as much as I possibly can), I think you faired well, it looks quite nice. Something I've come to make lately is spray it with a bit of flat paint so it looks more even and further improves the adhesion.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Looking good! The details especially on the engine is fabulous. By the way did you detailed the A pillars etc with sharpie too? Reason I asked is that they look a little "glossy" and has fair bit light reflection on some of the photos. I too had similar experience in the past and always wanted to get a true matte black paint to paint them over but I never get around to do that. By the way the dimples which represents the small side indicators are they painted on as I can't really tell from the photos. Those translucent 1/18 round blinkers sold by hobbyists can be quite expensive and it just so happened that I stumbled across my kids' jewellery sticker sheet and the tiny round shaped translucent 3D stickers are the perfect size for such application. If they are not already in orange already I just need to paint it over with orange colour permanent marker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Jazzy, thank you for your words.

I am also very happy with how engine has turned out, just a simple colouring with a brush on a aluminium base, didnt bother with extra details such as wires etc as they are hidden anyway.

For all color details on parts and body i used tamiya acrylics and brushes of various sizes, for the a pillar i used regular shiny black but it has too much shine to them. The real car has a kind of semi gloss black if im not mistaken?

Regarding the indicators i knew about those little adhesive diamonds but a simple nod of orange on a brush works fine for me personaly.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts