DiecastXchange Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The model is now complete apart from the DB5 badges low down on the front wings and the Superleggera script on the bonnet, for which there seems to be no commercially available decals. Some early produced DB5s did not have the badges on the wings and I've seen a period promotional image that confirms that, but all had the Superleggera scripts. I may be able to get these from Steph Replicars at some point, but he has very long lead times for custom decals. Here are some final images to finish the thread.

Door end panels painted aluminium and chrome strip added to the top of the sills.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

I've added a simple hinged strut and stowage hook for propping up the boot lid.
Car Vehicle Tire Toy Motor vehicle

I mentioned previously that I used the numberplate from the Chrono model, but it is in fact the Ertl one.
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tail & brake light

The Aston Martin badges are from Steph Replicars.
Aston martin db5 Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive design

You can see daylight throught the front grill with the bonnet up.
Automotive lighting Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive design

I'm my opinion, the headlights on the Chrono model are better than Ertl's, but unfortunately they do not fit the Ertl casting.
Wheel Tire Aston martin db5 Vehicle Car

The radio aerial is scratch built from brass tube, brass rod and styrene rod. It replaces the damaged rather chunky affair from Ertl.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

I think the side profile is much better now after lowering ride the height.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

The reclining seat adjusters have been picked out in black to replicate the real thing.
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood

Aston Martin and DB5 badges added to the boot lid. Steph Replicars does the DB5 (and DB6) badges, but this one is from Autoart Spares (and independent company selling reclaimed parts from damages AA models).
Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

It's not clear in any of the photos, but I've added air valves to the wheels.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Toy Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Aston martin db5 Tire Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

You can just make out the radiator through the grill so it was worth opening up the blank just for that.
Vehicle Hood Grille Automotive design Car

Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Well that's another one finished for now. Although the paintwork could still be a lot better, I'm pleased with the result and its probably the best repaint I've done so far. Hopefully in time I can get much better. I trust you have all enjoyed the re-build and many thanks for all the likes and positive comments.

Cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Many thanks Spikey. Makes a change from Silver Birch to have one in red, but then pretty much all I do is red!😁

For me, choose what ever make of car, it will always look best in bright red. After all, if Ferraris weren't red what else would they have going for them? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

21 - 23 of 23 Posts