DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all!

I always thought Kyosho is/was the only company to make the first gen Miata. But I've just realized Gate does one too.

Anyone know what the differences between the 2 are? I've found a Kyosho, but not a Gate version in stores yet... But the Kyosho is pretty steep, so if the Gate is about the same quality as the Kyosho, I'll probably get that one...

:feedback

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Gary, I never knew Kyosho made the older Miata. Gate does make one and its a decent model and it should be cheaper than the Kyosho. It will not come with carpeting ofcourse and I find the wheels to be on the smaller side. There are only plasticky brake discs and no brake pads.
Infact I was thinking of adding one but the only ones available are in kit form. Knowing of my bad bad luck with kits, I am not going anywhere close to one.
Gate makes the Miata in red, blue and black colors.
You should also see Gate's second gen Miata which comes in a very tangy looking metallic orange color with chromed wheels. Thats my favorite for the Miata.
Here is Dr. Ronan's decription of the Mazda Miata.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks for the info Winston! :cheers

I didn't really look at the kyosho to see if it had calipers.... Hmm... But the Kyosho has too-small wheels too, in my opinion. And the rear wheel was a bit off center in the wheel well, don't know if it's just the one, or the whole production was like that :pullhair

The 2nd gen Gate I found, and in that orangey colour too! I'll probably pick it up, since it's pretty cheap. But the met blue 2nd gen is nice, but the chrome rims are weird :p

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Any time Gary. I am so tempted to have every Japanese car maker in the line up. Toyota and Mazda still to go. Maybe one of these days.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
:lol Themes come easy to me. Guess I just need an excuse to get some retail therapy.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hehe, you're an easily swayed person eh... Time for the Don to do his work... :tempted

You know the Kyosho skylines? You should get those, cause they're just AMAZING! :giggle

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
There is a Kyosho blue version that came out in '98 that is bad! I would not even rate it as a toy. I passed on one at a hobby shop and they only wanted $10, it was that bad.
I think that was the first release of this mold and they improved on it after that.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Yes, it is a Kyosho but it is a deep blue. It came in the earlier Kyosho box that had the styrofoam insert and the small viewing window. If you go to scale18.com and do a search for Kyosho Miata, Kevin even lists it as a "low detail" version. :giggle

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh i see it now, thanks! :giggle

Man that's kinda scary... lucky you let me know about this... Gotta make sure I don't get a blue kyosho :giggle

Tahnks again!

G

·
One word describes the Kyosho MX5

TURD

And that goes for any colour . I had the green version and sold it straight away .

The Gate is 500% better , take my word for it . :cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I picked up a Gate MX5 for around $15 a couple of years ago as a gift for my nieghbor who has a 1:1 and if I remember correctly, it was a very nice little diecast :cheers

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
:iagree The Kyosho MX5 is terrible, but it was one of their very first releases in 1:18th and so is about 15 years old now (hence why it looks rubbish compared to newer models). The Gate version is far from perfect (the rear lights especially don't look quite right) but it is far better than the Kyosho one. The only thing that's good about the Ky version is that the lights pop up :cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the help! Guess I'll have to skip the Kyosho then... unless it's dirt cheap :giggle

Gate 1st Gen is harder to find now tho :(

·
1039 and counting
339 Posts
G

·
The superman blue they called it was for sale cheap at Exoticar and I snapped one up. It's buried so far down in my pile somewhere.It's not bad but I seen some gates going for wierd prices like over $50.00 and I believe it was silver and they claimed it was rare. The kyosho was $10 or $15 when I got it from exoticar and I was supposed to get the Dark Blue 300ZX too but when they were clearing them out they went on a permanent back order. I found the off centered wheels a problem even on the NSX front wheels. It's very noticible on both of my NSX type R versions. :cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts