DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this car gets bashed to no end, but in my humble opinion, it's not a bad model for the $18 they used to go for or the $9 I paid for mine.

I think that I put the kit together straight out of the box exept that I painted the wheels to get rid of the bling chrome.

Sure, we need for someone to do a higher end version, but until then, this one will do for me.

Call me a purist, but I like the original look before it grew the Star Wars wings! :giggle

On a personal note, the fastest feeling that I have had on 4 wheels have been when a neighboor took me for a spin on his. All that brute power, 70's technology brakes and tires and just inches off the ground-nothing like it!
I have gone faster on Cobras, Z06s and SL55s but mothing like that Pantera!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Hi Al!
Thanks for posting the pics! It sure looks good in red. I'm partial to the winged variant of the car so when I get one, I'll probably have to mod it. I wonder if a wing off a Countach would be close???

I bet it was one h3ll of a ride in the Pantera!!! Looking at them is one thing, but actually going for a ride...!

Thanks again for sharing the pics!!!

:cheers
Sean

G

·
Sean.....you talkin' about this puppy

i have to admit i'm in Al's camp i prefer the original, but would we happy...more than happy to have one of these in my garage.

Al ...i think you are converting me to wanting one of these :help

original..

:cheers

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
I like the original look of the 71/72 cars the best.
The tiny bumperettes, the clean functional styling and the lack of any boy racer stuff really looked great.
My Dad had a red 72 from the time I was about 12 to about 15. I was sooo hoping he would have had it when i started driving at 16 but i think he saw how bad it would be having that car around with a teen driver in the house. :giggle

It was quite the thrilling car to ride in :happy

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Nice model, Al :cheers :cheers

I have a friend that owns one, the real thing.
A few years ago I raced his Pantera during a classic car race at Interlagos - São Paulo's race track.

The car had a 351 with Gurney heads, special (free) exhaust and around 400 well educated horses under the control of my right foot... Unforgetable experience !!! :happy

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Stevie,
You are a mind reader, that's EXACTLY what I would wish for if available ever in 1/18!!!! :tongue

Sean

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Al, thanks for the pics, :cheers I've never seen pics of the Hot Wheels Pantera before and I've never seen one in red. It looks real good in red and the interior looks suprisingly good. With a little detailing, it would fit real well into my collection. :happy

You mentioned it was a kit, I've never seen that either. :confused

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Bob,
Hot Wheels had four kits in this offering:
The red Pantera
a Yellow Testarossa
a black Porsche 911 (can't remember what it was)
and a green '69 Charger R/T

They were KBT exclusives at first then other retailers got them. They sat on the shelves for a while until they were marked down to $9.95. I got the Pantera and the Charger.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thanks again Al, now that I know it exists, I'll watch for it. I'd only previousely seen it in yellow and light blue, and with those colors and that hideous front air dam I never got one. However, red is what I always wanted so with some detailing and lowering it would be very nice indeed! :cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is another re-take:

Attachments

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Lookin quite nice this model (perhaps better after cleaning a little bit) the silver paper is not done

·
Premium Member
13,917 Posts
I forgot about this model until I saw some on ebay for A LOT of money. I was surprised by how much that I called my dad and told him (he has a yellow Pantara). These are his favorite car and glad he has a model of one.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Wow, what an old thread, back in my pre-Pantera days. I was able to pick up a blue one probably about a year or so after this thread was started. Would have prefered the red, but the blue will do me just fine. It's an exellent platform for some mods!!! Here's a pic of my Pantera!

Sean

·
Registered
374 Posts
Acisne, I have to say your choice of background is spot on! What you need to add is some fog/smoke and flashing colour lights

I don't think Hot Wheels interpretation does this car justice, I wish someone made a more detailed diecast, this is a great subject.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.