DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised I would do a side by side comparison between the original production version of Kyosho's 1/18 Lamborghini Countach LP500S model and the new release that has just been put onto the market.

I actually own both a red over black version and the highly sought after white over white edition from Kyosho, both acquired when they were just being released, hence I paid a normal price for them ... not the ridiculously high prices the white one is demanding these days !

As I recently added the new version of this model to my collection finished in yellow over black (as I already owned the red one, no use getting two cars in the same shade), so I'm in the perfect position to compare them to one another.

A look at the 'old' 1/18 Kyosho made Countach LP500S :

A very, very nice model of this by now legendary, classic and valuable Raging Bull ... a blast from the past, now let's take a look at the new release in yellow :

At first glance you might say they look the same, and even from the rear you do not notice any major differences :

But let's take a closer look at the front again ... note the difference in the position of the turn signals underneath the glass in front of the headlights :

Kyosho inversed the orange lenses, normally the Countach LP500S should have the orange on the outside of the light pod ... so the yellow one is the correct one, Kyosho made a mistake at first ... but Swiss registered Countach models had the orange lens on the inside, like the 'old' Kyosho model, so they didn't make a mistake, they changed the 'market' for the car ... only Countach sold in Switzerland would look like the red car.

However, Kyosho did put something right ... which they surely did mess up the first time around :

This is a nice look at the engine, and if you look close you'll notice the plug wiring is a bit different, but that wasn't a problem actually, once the engine would have been worked on, these wires would have to be bundled again, so both configurations look right ... however the red one has a serious error that has been rectified on the new release ... the air slots on the roof !

There are no 5-Liter Countach that left the factory with those five narrow slots on each side of the roof ... and only a very few of the early LP400S models that did, later on, when those Bravo style wheels were replaced on the 4-Liter car, the slots were no longer needed ... my guess is that Kyosho actually continued on their LP500S Walter Wolf cars to create the first 'real' LP500S models, and they did remove the 'persicopa' but forgot about the slots.

On the outside of the engine it would be difficult to notice the difference between a 4-Liter and a 5-Liter V12 engine, but Kyosho did get the most important detail right here on both cars ... there is only one distributor cap, not two like on the 4-Liter engine, so well done Kyosho !

Now for the one difference just about everybody out there noticed ... the spare wheel in front :

We now have straps and a cover on the spare wheel ... now if my memory serves me right the black 'section' on the spare wheel in the new release is actually a toolkit in real life, and there are straps on the real car too ... so once again the v2.0 release from Kyosho is 'better' than the original version.

Bottom line : should you get the new release from Kyosho ?

It depends :

If you already own the original version I wouldn't bother to be honest, I liked the yellow shade, and found one I could pick up without shipping costs, so I went for it, but apart from the small details the only important item that would make me get the new one is the roof ... those slots really are an error on the original version.

However, if you do not own one of the earlier models I can only advice you to get this new Kyosho made 1/18 Countach model ... it is without a doubt THE best Countach diecast in 1/18 for the money at this moment, sure it still has a few flaws, the roofline isn't exactly like on the real deal, but the only other option we have is the AutoArt model, and apart from that one having some errors too, the fact it demands a much higher price these days as it is no longer in production should make you get the Kyosho instead.

G

·
Great comparison, I learned a lot in such a short read. I don't think I'll upgrade unless a white version is released. Props to Kyosho for correcting these deficiencies in version two.

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
Great models and pics.

I'm making it my personal mission to tell people to NOT BUY KYOSHO's because the paint turns to shit on them - including my red Countach. And I'm not the only one. One of my favourite models totally ruined

http://www.diecastxc...__fromsearch__1
Man you got it bad David,,,,,,and seriously my heart bleeds for you - it's a collectors nightmare......but I gotta say I've not noticed any on my (45) Kyos.......inncluding both my red Miuras,,,,

Perhaps it's all the oil in the air from the refineries down here in Milford Haven protecting the models??
But that said you've got me cr**ping myself with worry,,,,,

·
Registered
31 Posts
I own several Kyosho Countach's including the Q5000 versions in blue and white.

Great cars. But they are not the "best" Countach's in 1:18. The Autoart are more accurate as to shape...and take a look under the "hoods". Far more detail on the Autoart versions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree that the Autoart is better overall, it's more true to the form, weighs a bit more, etc They really did a great job on their 2004 release, and you can tell by the prices you see on Ebay these days.

However, the big hit for Kyosho on this second round is that they have pulled off the YELLOW version which one could perhaps argue that it's the 4th most common real life Countach color, I guess, after white, red, and black.

I collect 1:18 AUTOart and KYO Lamborghinis mostly in black and yellow (although breaking the trend with the Countach LP500 which is welcome in any color, especially white and red), so this new egg-yolk colored Countach LP500 is THE one I've been waiting for a long time to complete my current all-yellow line-up.

I'm not at all a fan of the early 1970s Countach, which also comes in yellow by KY and soon AUTOart. It just lacks poise all throughout. I guess I say that because I grew up in the early to mid-80s, when THE greatest supercar in the world was the LP500 (or 5000)...but then again that's just my HO

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
Sorry I got sidetracked earlier - Indeed great comparison Lambo

If not for the 'paint issues lottery' then i'd jump at one of the new yellow ones, as I have an example of all the other Kyo countach variations,

1974 PROTOTYPE in GREEN
LP400 WALTER WOLF in WHITE with roof wing
LP400 in YELLOW
LP500S WW in BLUE
LP500S WW in RED
LP500S WHITE on WHITE
5000 QV in WHITE
5000 QV in BLUE
LP500R in BLACK

So I know it's greedy but it would be nice to have a 'correct' 5000S....

·
Registered
13 Posts
very beautiful indeed. i need to at some point add a yellow or red LP500S but im struggling to find one in the UK. the only countach i have infact is a LP500R. would be nice to find a green prototype at a decent price to. but i can only dream...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I need some help with this one.
The yellow version 08322Y is often described as rare.
I can get one for the same price as the red one 08322RR (equivalent of $130)

So is it actually "rare"?
No, it's not rare, but two things:-
1) It's getting more difficult to find
2) It's getting more expensive

So if you want one I'd get one now. It's still possible to get them on eBay but sellers are generally asking more for them as the listings dwindle and stocks dry up. This is how it works. Old stock becomes rarer and more expensive and then all of the sudden you notice Kyosho release new Countach models. Remember the original green prototype LP500 Countach? Or what about the lovely blue QV (not the Walter Wolf BTW)? Once the red and yellow LP5000S' are more or less sold out, THEN we will see new Countach models.
For the record, I believe they will be the LP400S and red LP500 2nd prototype, not the Canonball Countach or the weird (from a marketing perspective) Americanised versions with the ugly bumpers.

Just realised how old this thread is. Oh well, someone might give a rats!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts