DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· American Expat In Europe
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first 1/18th scale of the year 2023. The new Lincoln "Z" Zephyr. Now, I have the trifecta complete with my Ford Mondeo & EVOS platform mates. Thanks again to dealership promotionals in China via Lincoln (Ford Motor Company), produced by ST-Well.

If only we Americans/Canadians demanded promotionals on this level. This model is sitting on a solid 10 all day. I really can't find fault, believe me, I tried. It's that good. I am always happy to get Ford/Lincoln of Shanghai's 1/18 Dealer Promotionals. They never disappoint, and that amazing legacy continues here.

To start with, every single Ford or Lincoln dealership promo that I have bought since 2014 has come with a full motor sitting inside of the engine bay. There are many additional working features including folding side mirrors, sliding front seats (some models feature movable rear arm rests and center consoles), metal chassis with fully working front & rear suspensions, and always a lift up load floor with a spare tires and accessories in that area as well.

What really impresses me here is that the functional hood lifts are so realistic, yet delicate as an engineering work of art. That has to be one of my favorite features here. Also, up front this model features perforated front upper and lower gills, photo-etched badging on the body work, a vivid and accurately detailed two-toned interior in addition to a graphically accurate flat screen which spans the entire IP. Below that scene sits highly detailed physical buttons with the same theme expanding to the center console and the arm rests on each door panel/card with realistic looking speakers sitting below. The interior and trunk(boot) are all carpeted with "LINCOLN" greeting you as you step across the door sills to enter the car. To help eyes gaze up on that gloriously executed scaled interior with ease, a full length pano-roof is present.

The exterior has a near-flawlessly executed paint finish with two-toned polished/black diamond cut rims. Sitting behind those rims are four metal rotating brake discs with realistic calipers. The multi-material rear light bar is intricately detailed and accurate looking. The upper front grille is delicate with little chromed accents connecting via a mesh style cross hatch (as I mentioned above, it is perforated). Underneath sits a highly detailed metal chassis with applied plastic exhaust system detailing and continued drivetrain residing up front.

One thing, this one doesn't have an opening fuel door. However, I am glad that it doesn't because the lines on this model are so nice. No matter how well that fuel door opening could have been executed, it had cause some sort of disturbance in the form bodyside visually.

I truly give this model a very solid 10. It's a pity that this 1/1 actual vehicle isn't sold stateside or Canada. I still don't get why customers in N.America want trucks and SUVs/CUVs over cars? This one might have a chance if sold there.
I highly recommend this model, especially if you collect Ford Motor Company products or Lincolns. Cheers!

Trifecta Lincoln Zephyr/Ford Mondeo/EVOS platform mates.......
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Photograph
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive side marker light
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Grille

New Lincoln "Z" Zephyr.....
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Car
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Grille Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Automotive lighting Vehicle
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

· Registered
2,390 Posts
Wow! That is indeed a 10/10 from the design standpoint as well as the execution of the 1:18. Great color choice here and I love the blackout trim and contrasting red interior.

I agree with your sentiment why cars like this aren't sold in the US by Ford (or the big 3 for that matter). I can see this Zephyr being a solid competitor for the Audi A4 / Mercedes CLA / BMW 2-series / Cadillac CT4. In the world where complicated shapes & random lines becomes the norm, I like how Lincoln chose to stay classic and simple with this shape. This will be the model that's timeless.

On the 1:18, the panel gaps and alignment looks really good! The amount of details is impressive (even without the opening fuel filler door) but what impressed me the most is the finesse of this car. It just have that feel of 'expensive' if you know what I mean.

Reading your review and seeing your photos, it is HARD for me to resist getting this 1:18 Zephyr !!

· Registered
226 Posts
Great model! I love the 2-tone interior and seats. At first, I thought it's too bad the grille isn't perforated, but then I looked at pics of the 1:1 and its grille isn't perforated either, so it's 100% spot-on. Kind of interesting to see a fake grille on an ICE car.

I very much agree, the death of cars in N. America makes me sad. I just don't have eyes for SUVs, CUVs, or pickup trucks which is what everyone wants these days.

13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! That is indeed a 10/10 from the design standpoint as well as the execution of the 1:18. Great color choice here and I love the blackout trim and contrasting red interior.

I agree with your sentiment why cars like this aren't sold in the US by Ford (or the big 3 for that matter). I can see this Zephyr being a solid competitor for the Audi A4 / Mercedes CLA / BMW 2-series / Cadillac CT4. In the world where complicated shapes & random lines becomes the norm, I like how Lincoln chose to stay classic and simple with this shape. This will be the model that's timeless.

On the 1:18, the panel gaps and alignment looks really good! The amount of details is impressive (even without the opening fuel filler door) but what impressed me the most is the finesse of this car. It just have that feel of 'expensive' if you know what I mean.

Reading your review and seeing your photos, it is HARD for me to resist getting this 1:18 Zephyr !!
I knew that this one just has to find it's way into your collection my friend!! It really fits the bill! The interior really is one of the standout attributes on this piece! I can't really find fault with its execution.

Exactly, abandoning this segment of automobile is like throwing in the towel on a segment. It makes no kind of sense for future planning? People will get used to Lincoln and Ford not making cars, so if there is an attempted comeback, they might be rejected by the buyers looking at the Camry or BMW sitting in their driveway over ever thing "why would I buy a Lincoln sedan?". That said, as you stated, I could see the Zephyr selling in the US to people who want a modern US branded near-luxury sedan. Even the Mondeo as a Fusion makes since, as it looks sorta' like a Mustang now, so people who don't want a Mach-E might got for that ICE alternative.

Stefanus, the panel gaps make it a nightmare to open the doors. They are that tight! So, you will be impressed with that for sure. Yes, it really is an expressive design, flowing and modern. Very fresh direction for Lincoln IMO! That fuel filler door, not missed one single bit.

Add one, I am looking forward to your review and photos with your diorama and or outside as well.

13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great model! I love the 2-tone interior and seats. At first, I thought it's too bad the grille isn't perforated, but then I looked at pics of the 1:1 and its grille isn't perforated either, so it's 100% spot-on. Kind of interesting to see a fake grille on an ICE car.

I very much agree, the death of cars in N. America makes me sad. I just don't have eyes for SUVs, CUVs, or pickup trucks which is what everyone wants these days.
Thank You!! This one is right up your alley as well! A must add for sure in your AMAZING collection! Actually the upper grill is only perforated in the center around the Lincoln star, like the 1/1..but it mostly isn't perforated up there. The lower intake is really more opened on the real car and the model as well.
h
Yeah, although I am in Europe, I'm still an American, and I think that it's a real pity that it looks like the BIG THREE has thrown up their hands and abandoned all but pony cars for cars. It makes car design feel like one is designing appliances versus beautiful statements on wheels. Cheers!

· Registered
226 Posts
Ah, I see it now, that it's perforated around the Lincoln star. I think some pics I saw was the concept which is not perforated at all, but I see your model and the 1:1 are perforated in the same spots. That's a great detail! As much as I'd love to add this one, for the sanity of my finances and wife, I've promised to limit my collection to big sedans. Even with what I initially thought to be a very limiting scope, I seem to be finding enough subject matter to keep my wallet empty. 😅

It's a pity indeed, I think consumer tastes in America have definitely changed to where a lot of people truly are looking for an appliance on wheels, and one with the most utility. I'm always seeing articles about how young people aren't interested in cars like they used to be, and how getting a driver's license used to be a coming of age, but now a lot of young people couldn't care less if they never get one. It's sad, but I can actually see a future where even pony cars are replaced by fast, but ugly and tall CUV looking things. It's spreading too, Toyota replaced the sleek Avalon with a tall and chunky sedan-shaped CUV that will get the Crown name.

· Registered
2,390 Posts
I knew that this one just has to find it's way into your collection my friend!! It really fits the bill! The interior really is one of the standout attributes on this piece! I can't really find fault with its execution.

Exactly, abandoning this segment of automobile is like throwing in the towel on a segment. It makes no kind of sense for future planning? People will get used to Lincoln and Ford not making cars, so if there is an attempted comeback, they might be rejected by the buyers looking at the Camry or BMW sitting in their driveway over ever thing "why would I buy a Lincoln sedan?". That said, as you stated, I could see the Zephyr selling in the US to people who want a modern US branded near-luxury sedan. Even the Mondeo as a Fusion makes since, as it looks sorta' like a Mustang now, so people who don't want a Mach-E might got for that ICE alternative.

Stefanus, the panel gaps make it a nightmare to open the doors. They are that tight! So, you will be impressed with that for sure. Yes, it really is an expressive design, flowing and modern. Very fresh direction for Lincoln IMO! That fuel filler door, not missed one single bit.

Add one, I am looking forward to your review and photos with your diorama and or outside as well.
Hopefully adding one soon!

· Registered
345 Posts
Ooh, Dave, you weren't kidding... this is a masterpiece! The first thing that struck me is the lines are so FLUID. I get your point about an opening filler cap potentially ruining the flow. Plus, the wheels... all the badging - I especially love the 'Zephyr' tag on the upper doors beneath the side mirrors.... the tremendous space-age interior... and that engine! I also love the lift-up load floor because details like that are just not commonly thought of, it seems, with diecasts. Plus, the car has great looks all over: front end, rear end, the profile, just the general shape. It looks great in gray. Seems compact to me for a Lincoln; if I didn't already know the Zephyr, I might be surprised to see their name on it. But I love that about it! Also, maybe 'cause I'm American, the Chinese lettering on the trunklid and front license plate holder are wild :LOL:
You're right, man, definite 10! I had a pre-order arrive today (don't know what it is - haven't opened it yet!) and another two are in the mail, so I can't pull the trigger now. But shoot, this Zephyr would look very nice in a future case with my AA C7 Z06....

13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, I see it now, that it's perforated around the Lincoln star. I think some pics I saw was the concept which is not perforated at all, but I see your model and the 1:1 are perforated in the same spots. That's a great detail! As much as I'd love to add this one, for the sanity of my finances and wife, I've promised to limit my collection to big sedans. Even with what I initially thought to be a very limiting scope, I seem to be finding enough subject matter to keep my wallet empty. 😅

It's a pity indeed, I think consumer tastes in America have definitely changed to where a lot of people truly are looking for an appliance on wheels, and one with the most utility. I'm always seeing articles about how young people aren't interested in cars like they used to be, and how getting a driver's license used to be a coming of age, but now a lot of young people couldn't care less if they never get one. It's sad, but I can actually see a future where even pony cars are replaced by fast, but ugly and tall CUV looking things. It's spreading too, Toyota replaced the sleek Avalon with a tall and chunky sedan-shaped CUV that will get the Crown name.
I am so glad that we are in this current predicament, years ago it was mainly muscle cars or sports cars in 1/18th scale. Now were are lucky to have a full spectrum of more diverse automotive scene. To add realism has skyrocketed over the years with functional detailing mirroring 1/1s. The only downside is that these releases are quickly being pumped out of factors. One barely has time to catch his/her breath when collecting!
Yes, it's the big three automakers shooting themselves in the feet again. The only reason that trucks/SUVs/CUVs are being pushed so hard by the big three is that is one area where we make really profitable vehicles and are good at it. Unfortunately, the clueless idea to give up cars all together is too short sighted. There is still a market for cars, we see it everyday, when a new EV is introduced. Yes, there are a good deal of EV CUVs out, but mostly it's cars. So, the Big three really need to stop being so short sighted and not so quick to dismiss customers who still want a car. CUVs/SUVs and Trucks are popular, but Toyota/Honda & Nissan as well as most European brands haven't abandoned cars. It's like we Americans are saying "we're not good at cars, so let's not do them anymore". That is a defeatist mentality which is based in core failure. Not good.
I'd really like to see the big three selling cars like this in the US, even if in limited supply exported from China (If UAW doesn't start complaining), it might re-spark some interest in passenger cars and if they interests took ahold, then production could be started in the US again. I feel that a lot of automotive companies are putting CEOs in place from other industries that have no real automotive culture. They main goal is to increase shareholder profits and nothing more. In the short run, fine, in the long run, you dilute the brand and never to regain former loyalist whom have now defected to your competitors which still offer alternatives to just trucks/SUVs and CUVs.
That N.American Crown is a really not deserving of that name. Have you seen one of the RWD based Crowns being offered in Japan? Low, wide and still a sedan, but in fastback form. The Japanese were going to only rely on that tall car scenario. However, if it sells well in the US, then good for them. Too bad that they just didn't call it an Avalon.

Here is one of the more "conventional" JDM Crown sedans.... Cheers!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ooh, Dave, you weren't kidding... this is a masterpiece! The first thing that struck me is the lines are so FLUID. I get your point about an opening filler cap potentially ruining the flow. Plus, the wheels... all the badging - I especially love the 'Zephyr' tag on the upper doors beneath the side mirrors.... the tremendous space-age interior... and that engine! I also love the lift-up load floor because details like that are just not commonly thought of, it seems, with diecasts. Plus, the car has great looks all over: front end, rear end, the profile, just the general shape. It looks great in gray. Seems compact to me for a Lincoln; if I didn't already know the Zephyr, I might be surprised to see their name on it. But I love that about it! Also, maybe 'cause I'm American, the Chinese lettering on the trunklid and front license plate holder are wild :LOL:
You're right, man, definite 10! I had a pre-order arrive today (don't know what it is - haven't opened it yet!) and another two are in the mail, so I can't pull the trigger now. But shoot, this Zephyr would look very nice in a future case with my AA C7 Z06....
Hey Scott! This promo really is ideal for what all models should strive for in detail, fit and finish! I really was surprised at how ell this one was executed! As you pointed out the "fluid body lines" as well a show well the model itself shows that and they were smart to avoid opening the fuel filler door ruining flow in the design here.
The expertly executed details really are the supporting act which elevates this model up to a more precise piece IMO. It makes you wonder "why" some other brands are charging a lot more for less details and lower QC?
Design wise, I really like this new approach from Lincoln, I feel like it's sad that N.Americans aren't getting a chance to experience what is being offered in China, thus missing out. As I mentioned above to GnatGoSplat I basically think that US automakers are selling themselves too short. Passenger cars are more or less equal these days in reliability and quality. It's just all about who is smart enough with marketing and reeling back in or gaining a new audience of consumers. It's not the 1980s anymore where Japanese imports were dominating, the US came up, so we should exploit those gains in overall quality to a new generation of buyers. Again, I state, that this short sightedness is coming down from top with CEOs or CFEs who weren't originally automotive people.
Hahaha, this time, I am fine with the Chinese characters on my trunk lid, because this vehicle isn't offered outside of China unfortunately.
I haven't given a model a Solid 10 in a long while but this one deserves it. I can see this on in your collection in the near future! BTW, did you also add their Continental? Here is a link to my original posting here on DX: 1/18 2018 Lincoln Continental "Black Label&quot...
Cheers! 🥂

· Registered
226 Posts
I am so glad that we are in this current predicament, years ago it was mainly muscle cars or sports cars in 1/18th scale. Now were are lucky to have a full spectrum of more diverse automotive scene. To add realism has skyrocketed over the years with functional detailing mirroring 1/1s. The only downside is that these releases are quickly being pumped out of factors. One barely has time to catch his/her breath when collecting!
Yes, it's the big three automakers shooting themselves in the feet again. The only reason that trucks/SUVs/CUVs are being pushed so hard by the big three is that is one area where we make really profitable vehicles and are good at it. Unfortunately, the clueless idea to give up cars all together is too short sighted. There is still a market for cars, we see it everyday, when a new EV is introduced. Yes, there are a good deal of EV CUVs out, but mostly it's cars. So, the Big three really need to stop being so short sighted and not so quick to dismiss customers who still want a car. CUVs/SUVs and Trucks are popular, but Toyota/Honda & Nissan as well as most European brands haven't abandoned cars. It's like we Americans are saying "we're not good at cars, so let's not do them anymore". That is a defeatist mentality which is based in core failure. Not good.
I'd really like to see the big three selling cars like this in the US, even if in limited supply exported from China (If UAW doesn't start complaining), it might re-spark some interest in passenger cars and if they interests took ahold, then production could be started in the US again. I feel that a lot of automotive companies are putting CEOs in place from other industries that have no real automotive culture. They main goal is to increase shareholder profits and nothing more. In the short run, fine, in the long run, you dilute the brand and never to regain former loyalist whom have now defected to your competitors which still offer alternatives to just trucks/SUVs and CUVs.
That N.American Crown is a really not deserving of that name. Have you seen one of the RWD based Crowns being offered in Japan? Low, wide and still a sedan, but in fastback form. The Japanese were going to only rely on that tall car scenario. However, if it sells well in the US, then good for them. Too bad that they just didn't call it an Avalon.

Here is one of the more "conventional" JDM Crown sedans.... Cheers!
So true, when I first dabbled in 1/18 collecting over 2-decades ago, I struggled to find anything that piqued my interest. I ended up stopping at 5 models, not a single one of which I really cared about, they were cheap and I just thought they'd make nice office decor. For the next 20 years, the closest I ever got to collecting was adding custom cars to GTA IV for PC, since at least in the virtual world, I could find cars I'm interested in. After learning what's out there now, I've jumped in fully. I've bought over 30 in the last 3-months! Only thing I wish is that I'd jumped into the hobby a few years earlier. There are a few models I'd like that are pretty hard to get today, or considerably more expensive when they do show up, compared to 5-years ago.

I didn't realize there's a JDM Crown that's still a sedan. That's so much nicer to look at. It's a shame they don't think it would make enough profits to sell in N.America.

That Continental is on my list. I just can't decide if I prefer blue or white. Initially preferred blue, but then watched some Youtube vids and I really liked the white. It's too bad they didn't make it in black, then the decision would have been easy. :ROFLMAO: Only reason I haven't picked one up yet is because it's a pricey model that still seems to have a decent supply.

13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So true, when I first dabbled in 1/18 collecting over 2-decades ago, I struggled to find anything that piqued my interest. I ended up stopping at 5 models, not a single one of which I really cared about, they were cheap and I just thought they'd make nice office decor. For the next 20 years, the closest I ever got to collecting was adding custom cars to GTA IV for PC, since at least in the virtual world, I could find cars I'm interested in. After learning what's out there now, I've jumped in fully. I've bought over 30 in the last 3-months! Only thing I wish is that I'd jumped into the hobby a few years earlier. There are a few models I'd like that are pretty hard to get today, or considerably more expensive when they do show up, compared to 5-years ago.

I didn't realize there's a JDM Crown that's still a sedan. That's so much nicer to look at. It's a shame they don't think it would make enough profits to sell in N.America.

That Continental is on my list. I just can't decide if I prefer blue or white. Initially preferred blue, but then watched some Youtube vids and I really liked the white. It's too bad they didn't make it in black, then the decision would have been easy. :ROFLMAO: Only reason I haven't picked one up yet is because it's a pricey model that still seems to have a decent supply.
WOW, You got the model bug quick like another friend of mine....He bought 100 models in 1 months 😲 He said that he was afraid to miss out anymore and is also playing catchup as well. At least I am so happy to see your posts, because at one point, I was really lonely here on DX, as it was mainly Stefanus and I buying cars like this. Now, with You, Scott, Steven and more, It feels good to have a good company of people into these types of models here!😊

Yeah, it's a pity, it's like when Toyota killed off the Cressida (Mark II Sedan) for us to get teh lamer Avalon, because they were afraid the next Cressidas would hurt Lexus sales...so they extended the Cary's wheelbase and made the dull looking 1st gen Avalons :cautious:
I think that my dealer/friend had Blue/White/Gold and Grey Lincoln Continetals at one point and he had them on sale for like $75 or 65 USD like in 2021? IDK if they sold out, but I should have bought gold or white as well.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Grille Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Hood

· Registered
226 Posts
WOW, You got the model bug quick like another friend of mine....He bought 100 models in 1 months 😲 He said that he was afraid to miss out anymore and is also playing catchup as well. At least I am so happy to see your posts, because at one point, I was really lonely here on DX, as it was mainly Stefanus and I buying cars like this. Now, with You, Scott, Steven and more, It feels good to have a good company of people into these types of models here!😊

Yeah, it's a pity, it's like when Toyota killed off the Cressida (Mark II Sedan) for us to get teh lamer Avalon, because they were afraid the next Cressidas would hurt Lexus sales...so they extended the Cary's wheelbase and made the dull looking 1st gen Avalons :cautious:
I think that my dealer/friend had Blue/White/Gold and Grey Lincoln Continetals at one point and he had them on sale for like $75 or 65 USD like in 2021? IDK if they sold out, but I should have bought gold or white as well.
Oh wow, 100 in a month! I can't beat that! I know what that's like, feeling like playing catchup. I had been feeling like if I don't buy while they're still plentiful, then they'll disappear from the market and I'll have to pay 3x as much on eBay. I was almost getting one a day for a little while. Now, I've bought just about everything that's easy to find. It's slowed down quite a bit as I've gotten to the part of my list where I really have to hunt and track down these long out-of-production models for prices I'm willing to pay.

I remember the 1st gen Avalons, I had a coworker that had one. 1st & 2nd gens I found to be pretty "meh". I did really like the 4th and 5th gen, especially the 5th gen TRD in black. 3rd gen wasn't too bad either. I remember the Cressida from when I was a kid, but only just saw them on the road. Never looked closely at one. Didn't realize they were RWD and kind of a predecessor to the LS400.

Makes me sad to think there was a time where I could have got the Continental for $75 or 65. Definitely missed the boat on those. Was this friend Andy? I asked him a few months ago if he can get them, he said they're all gone. They start at $180 total (incl tax+ship) to over $200 on both Aliexpress and eBay. Small Ant has them $170 total which is probably where I'll end up getting one from when I give up hunting for a better price. The blue actually looks really good in that pic, almost black. White brings back fun memories of when the wife and I would enjoy a fast food meal on a Saturday night, then walk it off in the mall. For quite awhile, there was a white Continental they had on display just inside the mall entrance. I'd always stop to admire it. I haven't eaten like that for years, but I sure miss it, so those days have become a fond memory triggered by white Continentals. :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
345 Posts
Hey Scott! This promo really is ideal for what all models should strive for in detail, fit and finish! I really was surprised at how ell this one was executed! As you pointed out the "fluid body lines" as well a show well the model itself shows that and they were smart to avoid opening the fuel filler door ruining flow in the design here.
The expertly executed details really are the supporting act which elevates this model up to a more precise piece IMO. It makes you wonder "why" some other brands are charging a lot more for less details and lower QC?
Design wise, I really like this new approach from Lincoln, I feel like it's sad that N.Americans aren't getting a chance to experience what is being offered in China, thus missing out. As I mentioned above to GnatGoSplat I basically think that US automakers are selling themselves too short. Passenger cars are more or less equal these days in reliability and quality. It's just all about who is smart enough with marketing and reeling back in or gaining a new audience of consumers. It's not the 1980s anymore where Japanese imports were dominating, the US came up, so we should exploit those gains in overall quality to a new generation of buyers. Again, I state, that this short sightedness is coming down from top with CEOs or CFEs who weren't originally automotive people.
Hahaha, this time, I am fine with the Chinese characters on my trunk lid, because this vehicle isn't offered outside of China unfortunately.
I haven't given a model a Solid 10 in a long while but this one deserves it. I can see this on in your collection in the near future! BTW, did you also add their Continental? Here is a link to my original posting here on DX: 1/18 2018 Lincoln Continental "Black Label&quot...
Cheers! 🥂
I hadn't seen that Continental yet, I love it! It might have to be a toss-up for me between that and the Zephyr, but you were totally right: all these are coming too fast, I gotta slow down. Hopefully I can still find them when I'm ready!
And also, I'm totally with you guys: I hate SUVs, at least the modern ones. When I was growing up, I used to love them, as well as cars and trucks and vans and everything else, because at least their styling was interesting to me and they were all unique and had personality and actual purpose. Now, everything's big and ugly and boring (and automated) and they all look the same. Looking at cars isn't fun like it used to be. Actually, pre-2000 or so, I could have looked at anything on the road and named the make, model, and year (to within two-three years). Now I don't recognize anything anymore because I've stopped paying attention - I haven't seen anything new in the last twenty years that I actually like! It's kind of sad and it's a huge reason why I want to keep collecting models of older cars. They're relics and they scarcely exist anymore.
I"m really glad you posted these two Lincolns though, because they actually look really good! Better than anything Lincoln would market Stateside these days.

· Registered
741 Posts
I hadn't seen that Continental yet, I love it! It might have to be a toss-up for me between that and the Zephyr, but you were totally right: all these are coming too fast, I gotta slow down. Hopefully I can still find them when I'm ready!
And also, I'm totally with you guys: I hate SUVs, at least the modern ones. When I was growing up, I used to love them, as well as cars and trucks and vans and everything else, because at least their styling was interesting to me and they were all unique and had personality and actual purpose. Now, everything's big and ugly and boring (and automated) and they all look the same. Looking at cars isn't fun like it used to be. Actually, pre-2000 or so, I could have looked at anything on the road and named the make, model, and year (to within two-three years). Now I don't recognize anything anymore because I've stopped paying attention - I haven't seen anything new in the last twenty years that I actually like! It's kind of sad and it's a huge reason why I want to keep collecting models of older cars. They're relics and they scarcely exist anymore.
I"m really glad you posted these two Lincolns though, because they actually look really good! Better than anything Lincoln would market Stateside these days.
I completely agree with you about the boring, cookie-cutter SUV's on the road these days, Scott. I'm glad I don't have one, as I think I would have a hard time finding which one is mine when I came out of a store onto their parking lot after doing some shopping! I also love collecting models of the older cars, as they had some character and uniqueness about them!

13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh wow, 100 in a month! I can't beat that! I know what that's like, feeling like playing catchup. I had been feeling like if I don't buy while they're still plentiful, then they'll disappear from the market and I'll have to pay 3x as much on eBay. I was almost getting one a day for a little while. Now, I've bought just about everything that's easy to find. It's slowed down quite a bit as I've gotten to the part of my list where I really have to hunt and track down these long out-of-production models for prices I'm willing to pay.

I remember the 1st gen Avalons, I had a coworker that had one. 1st & 2nd gens I found to be pretty "meh". I did really like the 4th and 5th gen, especially the 5th gen TRD in black. 3rd gen wasn't too bad either. I remember the Cressida from when I was a kid, but only just saw them on the road. Never looked closely at one. Didn't realize they were RWD and kind of a predecessor to the LS400.

Makes me sad to think there was a time where I could have got the Continental for $75 or 65. Definitely missed the boat on those. Was this friend Andy? I asked him a few months ago if he can get them, he said they're all gone. They start at $180 total (incl tax+ship) to over $200 on both Aliexpress and eBay. Small Ant has them $170 total which is probably where I'll end up getting one from when I give up hunting for a better price. The blue actually looks really good in that pic, almost black. White brings back fun memories of when the wife and I would enjoy a fast food meal on a Saturday night, then walk it off in the mall. For quite awhile, there was a white Continental they had on display just inside the mall entrance. I'd always stop to admire it. I haven't eaten like that for years, but I sure miss it, so those days have become a fond memory triggered by white Continentals. :ROFLMAO:
Yes! He had real FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) on some releases that he had missed prior ad didn't want to miss them when he had the opportunity.

Over the decades, the Avalons got much better, but the first few did nothing for me. The last one is really decent! I am assuming that you also have teh 1/18th scale too?
Here is a link to my review on mine: 1/18 2019 Toyota Avalon (Pearl White) vs. 2020 Lexus...

Also makes me upset, that I passed over gold and white for additional Continentals, as they were such a bargain at one point. Yeah, now, they are really pricy! So, unless they fall in price again, I am settled with my navy blue one. If I see anything at a good price, I'll let you know ASAP! 😊

13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Scott if I were you, I'd get a Continental first, as it's been out since 2018 or 2019? The Zephyr is a really new release, so you have a wee bit of time, and the prices might fall a bit as well?

Very much everything your have stated about modern SUVs sticks with me. I miss cars, especially pre-2000s and even Pre-2010s...and I am tired of seeing people flood to SUVs and Trucks like the masses of followers in this world. I liked SUVs when they were a novelty, not so much, as they have become mainstream. However, I do like models of them, as they are now "Everyday Cars" but, I'd prefer if customers were into sedans and coupes.

Yes, it's really a true pity that Ford/Lincoln only do Mustangs for cars and everything else is an SUV/CUV or Truck sold stateside. Thank goodness that China still likes cars, or we'd never see vehicles like the Zephyr. Looking forward to your posting on which ever one you decide to buy!😊

1 - 20 of 26 Posts