DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
This is my first review, so if you find something for me to improve on, please let me know! :cheers

Let's talk about some of the points which don't seem to fit into the review categories. I have no clue who makes this model, as on the side of the box, it says "Dong Fong Auto Company" in Chinese. The box is very beautiful, with a picture of the Teana on the right side, and the picture continues onto the side flap of the box. The model is packaged in a Styrofoam case, with plastic clear "sheets" protecting the top of the models, and a tissue paper on the bottom of the model. I purchased this model from scale18, around 70USD shipped. This was due to a 10USD discount for the small paint chip. The model is VERY VERY heavy. I'd say it's even heavier than the Minichamps M3 GTR. I've done some crude measurements of the model, and compared them to the stats on Nissan's page. This model is perfectly on scale (1:18). The shutlines and panel gaps are very small, but the shutlines on the front doors seem to be a tad larger than the rear doors. The hood and the boot lids actually stay up when opened, with very "strong" hinges. It look a lot of effort to open them, and I thought it was actually secured by wires (like newer AUTOart's). The doors close well, and don't feel loose. There's no vertical wobble when open, but the spring action isn't as "strong" as other models I've played with. The hinges are non-doglegs, and are very small and realistic.

Brakes - accuracy=9 detail=8
The Teana has photo-etched discs, which turn with the tires, and static calipers. The calipers are basic black affairs, with decent details. The discs, however, are up to AUTOart standards. They're machined to look "worn". All in all, great brakes, if only they improved on the caliper detail, we'd have even higher scores!

Engine - accuracy= 8 detail=8
Take a look at the pic of the engine, bad picture due to shaking hands, but it looks pretty plain doesn't it? There seems to be no wiring on it, but the engine is a separate piece. However, looking at photos from Nissan's website, the plain engine bay is also present in the 1:1. Everything is covered by a large plastic cover that has the Nissan logo, with V6 3.5 labeled. The Nissan logo is a raised chromed piece on the model, and looks very nice. Of course, the "V6" and "3.5" are also replicated. There are also warning stickers galore, with a little yellow ring (it's a real ring, with a hole in the middle!) for the dipstick. That's a pretty cool touch, to include the dipstick handle. However, I'm disappointed by that black "thing" in front of the radiator. What the heck is that?

Exterior - accuracy=9 detail=6
Alright, this is going to be the longest section. Please sit down for this. Let's start from the front. Front lights are well done, with realistic looking inserts for the lights, and a dab of clear yellow paint for the side signals. The light covers are the correct shape, but are a tad flimsy though, the left one seems to be a tad off center. The grill is nicely chromed, with the raised Nissan logo in the middle. Note that in the 1:1 pictures, one cannot see the vertical "lines" on the grill, yet it's clearly there on the model. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here though. The grill is perforated, and so is the inferior grill in the middle of the fog lights. Which now bring us to the nasty part on the front of the model. Why oh why did they use attachment stubs for the fog lights? And large ones at that! The license plate is nicely mounted, with "TEANA" in the correct scale labeled on it. If you look to the right of the license plate, you'll see a QC issue, there is dark grey metallic paint over-painted onto the blue parts of the bumper! :ranting Note the side mirrors, are they busted? …

To the rear! And the mystery of the side mirrors is solved! The side mirrors actually close to the side, just like the real car! AMAZING I say, none of my other cars can do this. They got the weird brake light/back up light combo shape correct, which I think deserves a kudos. However, while the lights look good enough, with clear plastic for the back up lights, the lights are marred by attachment stubs on the bottom! Why? And considering the bottom brake light on the bumper is a clear red piece, and has no attachment stubs! Anyway, continuing on, chrome pieces above and below the license plate are well done, and the Nissan logo is another raised chromed piece. Very nicely done logo, BUT, it's a bit tilted on mine. The name of the car, and the engine choice, is clearly displayed with photo-etch parts. The chrome accent strip on the bumper, however, has some QC problems. You can see in the picture that part of the chrome strip isn't flat on the bumper, and this problem continues onto the sides as well. Again, we see a properly scaled and nicely attached license plate in the back.

On the sides, the car's shape is captured accurately, and we can see various chrome accents, and the silver coloured "strip" on the bottom. As noted before, there are some QC issues with the chrome accents, and this shows up on the sides as well, but not too big of an issue. The big chrome accent issue is with the other side of the car (not pictured). The chrome accents on the small rear window was really badly done, there are some black spots on the chrome. Note the little "VIP" badge behind the rear window. Handles are separate chrome pieces, with small metallic blue painted in the middle of them. However, on mine, the painting of those blue parts on the handles leave much to be desired, as most of them were off center. Another point of interest is the side marker. It's a separate clear piece, but ANOTHER attachment stub! Oh no! :cry The gas door is nicely defined, and the dark grey metallic strip of paint on the bottom has no over-paint issues like on the front.

We're now going to take a look at the roof. What the heck is there on the roof, you think. Well, on the Teana, there's a very interesting piece on the roof, and that's the sunroof. It's tinted brown, and it actually OPENS! Push the front of the window, and it tilts up and STAYS up. Push it back down to close it. I'll mention the "sunroof cover" here as well (hereto referred to as the sunroof blind). The sunroof blind actually slides CLOSED! But I highly doubt anyone can do it from inside the car, so opening the sunroof from the outside, and then using your finger to close it is the only feasible way to do it. Man all these cool things to play with on this model! :D

Interior - accuracy=9 detail=9
The interior looks very accurate to the 1:1 pics I have looked at, and the colour is spot on as well. First, the seats are hard plastic, but are better than the AUTOart hard plastic seats, and actually look like leather. As you can see in the pics, even the controls for the seat are modeled, but not painted. The bottom of the seat is a different colour too, that's kind of weird. The instrument cluster (speedometer stuff) is represented by a sticker. It looks okay, since the top of the dashboard shadows the whole thing pretty well, but on my model, it seems the sticker is coming off :help . The rest of the controls, dials are all molded and are not represented by stickers. The wood trim colour is kind of off (too light, in my opinion), but you can tell they tried hard to replicate wood effects, as there are wood "lines" in the paint. There's a bit of over-paint for the wood effect on the sides of the dash, but it's not too noticeable. The LCD display in the middle of the controls piece is unpainted, which is kind of disappointed. Now it's all good points from here on. All dials are painted, pedals are separate pieces, rich carpeting everywhere, steering wheel center has a chromed Nissan logo, which looks like a separate piece to me (!). Onto the doors, the door handles are chromed (separate piece!), all controls are painted, and the door "warning light" is painted red (at least it's painted, what did you expect, a separate piece? :wink). At first, I thought the front seats had no seatbelts, but after looking carefully, the seatbelts for the front are on the pillar. They're separate pieces, and they feel like fabric, with photo-etched buckles. On the back seats, we see the same beautiful seatbelts, and their locations are true to the 1:1 (i.e. the middle passenger's is skewed to one side). The middle passenger air vents are modeled as well, but are unpainted. Another fun little thing to play with, the center part of the rear seats fold down! And the underside is adorned with the same wood trim paint as the rest of the interior, beautiful I say!

The trunk is carpeted with the same material as the interior, and it's quite empty, except for a large full size spare tire! The tire is exactly the same as the tires on the car. However, there is nothing that covers the spare tire, which kind of puzzles me. Is this the case on the 1:1 as well? :confused

Paint - accuracy= 9 detail=8
Beautiful, deep, even distribution of the blue metallic paint, with no orange peel. The dark grey metallic bottom strip is not as well painted though, with overpaint in some areas (namely the front, as previously mentioned). Undersides of the hood and boot lid are painted, and flat black was used for a section of the hood underside as well. There is a small paint chip that's barely noticeable on my model, but it was known when I purchased it. There is also a very small unpainted part underneath the chrome accents on the rear bumper, but that's probably due to the bad QC fit of the chrome accent, and not a fault of the paint itself. Note that in pics I've seen of the model before I bought it, I always assumed the grey bottom was a lot lighter. But in the flesh, it's really a dark grey metallic, and looks MUCH better than the light grey.

Tires/Wheels - accuracy=9 detail=9
Nothing much to say here, the 8-spoke rims are beautiful, with Nissan logos in the center. Another QC problem rears its ugly head, however, as some of the Nissan logos on the rims are not centered :cry . The tires have accurate tread pattern, but sadly, are unmarked.

Undercarriage - accuracy=8 detail=8
I cannot find pics of the 1:1's undercarriage, so I'll give the model the benefit of the doubt, and assume it's quite accurate. The details are pretty good, however, as you can see in the pics. I especially like the heatshield protecting the muffler system. Note that the muffler tips are bent 90 degrees towards the ground, so from the rear of the model, you can't actually see the tips, but from the undercarriage, we can see it's a solid piece, just painted black on the opening :help .

OVERALL accuracy=8 detail=7

Conclusion
I really like this model, it's got great details, and many fun things to play around with. The minor QC niggles are forgivable, and the other small problems are nothing very major that can detract from the enjoyment of the model. If you can find it for a decent price (I'd say around 90USD shipped), it's quite worth it. Also note that this subject matter is probably not going to be done by a lot of manufacturers, and I think these Chinese dealer editions usually don't have re-releases, so get them while you can!

Review added to the DX Model Review Database on 16-SEPT-2005

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pics are up, and Overall marks are up as well... :cheers

G

·
First off, well done on your first review Gary gun. It was very long, but you went into detail and posted relevant pics too.

The Teana looks like a very good model indeed; its a shame about the minor build quality issues that seem to exist.
Are you sure that there are large attachment stubbs on the fog/spot lights? Perhaps this is how the 1:1s lights look? :confused

Do the doors open and close well or do they feel loose and unwilling to close straight? I ask this because it is a sign of a well made model.

Cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
thanks Jim! :cheers

I'm pretty sure the fog lights are stubs, it's very hard to tell in the 1:1 pics, since it's usually really dark down there, but lights can't have THAT big a bulb :giggle

The doors close well, and don't feel loose. There's no wobble when open, but the spring action isn't as "strong" as other models I've played with. You know what, i'll add this info to my review... thanks for the help Jim! :cheers

G

·
:iagree on the details on the outside :eek:k ...but on the inside is ok I guess not too crazy about it.....And too expensive...well for me :scared

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Olga! :happy

this model isn't for everyone, as the subject matter is weird. I'm a Japanese car freak, so this model was a natural for me :giggle

It's not too expensive, compared to the going prices on ebay... they range from 60-70USD and on top of that, around 35USD for shipping from China! That's nuts~! :help

G

·
Great stuff Gary! :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob

That's an excellent review. Very informative!

Gotta love all the impressive detail in this Nissan! :cool

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Pretty neat. Kinda reminds me of a Maxima mixed with a Altima :giggle
Anyway nice reveiw :cheers

·
Registered
536 Posts
Great review, Gary. :310 It gives me something to look forward to as I have this model in silver on its way from HK. I didn't know Scale 18 carried them until after I won the auction. Hopefully mine won't have the Q.C. issues that yours did.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the kind comments! :happy

Gian: yes, it has a lot of great details (and things to play with :giggle)

Undra: actually, it does look like that (altima merged with Maxima). The rear looks a tad like the Maxima, but the front looks like the Altima... I dunno, pure weirdness :p

Lu: I just double checked the bottom of the car and the box, and i was wrong about the "Guang Dong" thing, it's actually "Dong Fong Auto Co". Translated, it means "East Wind Auto Co". I guess we'll say Dong Fong made it? :confused

Richard: ya, I should update my review and mention the exhaust... you can't see it from behind, but it's solid, just painted black on the opening :help .

Lloyd: Congrats on your silver! That was the other colour that was tempting me :giggle I hope your example comes in perfect! :cheers

G

·
:nicejob Great review 'nutkick'.
you almost made my want one..............not
only joking, for a first attempt Gary very impressive,well done mate :nicejob

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you stevie! :cheers

Are u sure you don't want one? Or are u in denial? :lol

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ya, I think it's a mid level sedan, and this verison is sold in Japan and Hong Kong as well. I would consider this comparable to our Altima or Maxima...

G

·
Great review. I have been looking to get this car for awhile, will do so soon. For anyone who didn't know this car will be coming to the US sometime next year, will look exactly the same as the model. I always thought it was a Japanese Maxima.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts