DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Automotive parking light Tire Grille Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Wheel I never thought I'd live to see the day so many Rolls Royce models hitting the world like almost all at once!! I recently purchased the 1/18 scale Rolls Royce Phantom in both English white with tan interior, and the Beluga with wine interior. They need to spray the body as a single unit. The Beluga is black so one cannot tell color variances, the English white is 3 different shades of white! I was horrified when I opened the box for the car I paid well over $350 for, so I have been polishing it to use a shine as camouflage, I may even use Turtle Wax white polish to see if that conceals the color variances. It is mainly the doors, three different shades of white where they evidently didn't use the same spray patterns as the body or different color die lots.

The Beluga Phantom is a doll baby! I used Turtle Wax black polish to create a glassy black chrome looking finish. The plating on the chrome is electro-plate so I polished the grille as well. The only beef I have is with the interior. It is "plasticy" and vague. They should have used the same format as Kyosho did with their Rolls Royce Ghost 1/18, where the working features are mainly like the real car's interior. The Phantom is sorta "mystique" as there are no manufacturer's trade marks or Trade Name, no sku, no bar code on the box, so it makes me wonder, why all the secrecy? I'd highly advise buying a couple of these because I see history here. Autoart had a licensing problem with their BMW 635 CSI with shadowline option, the earlier ones had to be recalled, of which I kept, the sellers were buying them back . I told them, first they'd have to catch me, then kill me and remove it from the grasp of my lifeless corpse! Maybe licensing along the same lines, just guestimating, but these new Phantoms are beautiful, buy in solid non metallic colors for best of show, until they spray the unit as a whole. The first dark blue painted versions were awful, many of which were returned to the manufacturer. I saw a couple horrid examples and could not believe a piece costing this much would be so flawed!! Buy the black, it looks absolutely gorgeous when you detail the paint. As for the interior, on a scale of 1-10 I'd give them an 8, I like the contrasting color carpeted floor mats against the interior color carpet and the RR umbrellas in both back doors. The hood has dampers which is showy, but I am getting a little sick of these expensive models with a "one piece" engine bay painted to look real which insults my intelligence. Sure the real versions have a cover, but you "remove it" to see the engine, this is what I want to see in a high end piece such as this one.

Paragon Models has released the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow Mulliner Park Ward coupe, I got the chalice silver version. It is a very nice piece. The engine and transmission are very nice. The interior's wood graining looks genuine, the flocked floor boards and seat design are verbatim to the real one. It is like they shrank the real car. I got one with a nasty die mark just below the "cupid's bow" just behind the driver's side door! Ugly! So I am using the age old trick of over polishing it so it will diminish and be less noticeable, shame on them too, a piece costing this much. It is well worth the money otherwise. The grille is nice, they could have plated it a little better though. The finish has no sags or runs and polishes nicely with Dupont's liquid detail. I also use Zymol, depending on the color. You cannot see all the lines of the model until you clean off the factory "goop" and shine it up. I hope they follow with a series II look with the bumpers, and a Corniche version (renamed in 1971 from MPW coupe) in both coupe and drop head versions.

Franklin Mint's remake of the 1/24 1955 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud is nice, I like it in the white. I never managed to get the Black/silver original years ago, but this white one looks good with my other Franklin Mint Rolls Royces. I got the 1993 Coniche IV Anniversary edition in Ming blue with magnolia interior. The wood grain is real in the interior, they could have, however, put the plastic in the vent windows, naughty for a $135 piece! I bought the Rolls Royce Silver Seraph in 1998, it is a very nice piece also. the silver paint is flawless and shines up great. Shame on them for not putting a rear quarter window in the back doors, again ...naughty for a $135 piece! Otherwise, it is a fantastic looking Rolls. I got Franklin Mint's 1/24 1955 Bentley S1 in the original tu-tone gold/brown. It is a nice investment piece too.

I hope one or the other manufacturer will create a 1966 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III, the one with a slightly lower look and dual headlamps in 1/18. I love the high end luxury models. I have Minichamps 1/18 versions: 2008 Brooklands coupe in black, the 2008 Continental GT in red which is absolutely gorgeous, the 2007 Continental Flying Spur in metallic black...jaw droppingly detailed too, and the Bentley Arnage T in grey. Both The Arnage T and the Continental Flying Spur came in dealer presentation packaging.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I too am shocked at so many Rolls Royce models coming out at once. I picked up the black Phantom in 1/18 and am very happy with it. The reason for all the "secrecy" is because it's an unlicensed model, therefore the brand is kept hidden. I look forward to picking up a Ghost in black and a Mulliner Park Ward in dark blue when it's released early next year.

I'd love to see more photos of the MPW if you have the chance. How's the heft on that one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
[sub]Hello again fellow Diecast junkies! Here are a few more shots of Paragon's new 1968 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow HJ Mulliner/Park Ward two door coupe. It is very tastefully done, I love mine. It evidently was made from photo etched parts because it is exquisite in detail, The only thing they're remiss, is the fact that the steering wheel does not operate the front wheels, it is simply "poseable" to accomodate being available in both right-hand drive and left-hand drive, but still, for this kind of money...naughty! And when you purchase one OPEN IT AND INSPECT, DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT LEAVE THIS ONE UNINSPECTED. This model carries a few common diemarks that could very well turn up in an ugly form to someone, oh say, 20 years from now that buys it as "new in box" only to be horrified when he sees the diemark just under the bows behind the front doors, the "cupid's bow" where Mulliner/Park Ward curved it in to differrentiate between the regular Silver Shadow Saloon. Make sure to inspect, especially if you are buying this as an investment. They only made 5,000 pieces world wide. I am going to purchase a few for future resale, I have been buying the high end rare 1/18 scale goodies to sell when they're exctinct. I figured the Phantom was a license problem, so these will be worth a fortune one day. I am glad I got 2, I may buy a couple more as the price drops. I thought it was odd, it has the Rolls Royce HQ info on the box, but no bar code which immediately sent off an alarm in my head, it's rare one finds a product with no manufacturer's trade mark or trade name.[/sub]

[sub]I want to buy Kyosho's Rolls Royce Ghost in 1/18 that is starting to hit the network, but the prices are very ugly, I'd play the waiting game here guys, don't be too eager otherwise you'll jack the price up way too high because this is a GORGEOUS piece, Kyosho outdid themselves! The interior alone would take a few hours just to look at all the working features. I will upload photos when I get mine. Wait until they lower the price otherwise this will get out of hand price wise, because, it is a very very nice piece. It is "heavy" like the Mulliner Park Ward Shadow.[/sub]

[sub]Check out Minichamps Bentley series in 1/18, they're drop dead gorgeous, they are built as thought they shrank the real car. The Brooklands is awesome with the light burled wood accents in the interior, simulated of course, but nice.[/sub]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
That Silver Shadow is amazing Greg - congrats on owning both that and the Phantom!
Cheers for the pics

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just got my Silver Shadow in a couple of days ago. It is quite remarkable for the price it's going for in the U.S. (look hard and you can find it for under $130 shipped). The car has a nice weight and outstanding detail!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, the detail of the HJ Mulliner/Park Ward is astounding. The interior is verbatim as the real one, the classy wood like trim and the attention to detail. I am anxious to see if they are going to do a Corniche Coachbuilt Convertible by Mulliner. It wouldn't be that hard to alter the die. Autoart is coming out with a Silver Cloud II in 1/18, I wish someone would make a 1966 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III and the Mulliner Flying Spur in 1/18. Next, a Silver Spur (with the Mulliner Flying Spur) 1/18, and since we're dreamin here a 1980 Silver Wraith II 1/18 in Seychelles blue with real magnolia hydes and a white everflex roof. Slap me I was in a coma there! I have a feeling, the Rolls Royce wars are about to begin gentlemen! Have you seen Kyosho's Rolls Royce Ghost? It is so detailed I want it so bad, but let's play the waiting game, if we pounce too quickly, they will jack the prices sky high! I saw an eBay auction with the Kyosho 1/18 Ghost in the jubilee silver....$861 & $33 shipping!! C'mon, that is ridiculous to pay that much for a $200+ car! I can wait. I bought my Silver Shadow MPW direct from china at $149.99 & $29.99 shipping, now, they are here in the states for $103!!! (sniff-sniff, my eyes have always been bigger than my wallet, I had to have it NOW then, so I paid a little more.)

Franklin Mint makes nice 1/24 Rolls Royce models but they get a bit sloppy. I had to return my 1955 Bentley S1 4 times before I got one that I was 95% satisfied with back in 2002, they were horrid for $135. The 1993 Corniche anniversary convertible is nice, but they omitted the vent windows, and the paint is "funnny" and that is a pet peeve, if your gonna make an expensive piece, come on with it, no half steppin...right? Their 1998 Silver Seraph is nice, but the rear quarter windows are remiss. The 1955 Silver Cloud is nice in the new white, I polished mine and it dazzles. The early version silver/black was sloppy. If your gonna tu-tone, again, c'mon with it if you're gonna charge the big bucks! Can you tell that I am hopelessly addicted to cars? The high end models spoil ya! After looking at these exquisite Rolls Royce and Bentley models by Minichamps, Kyosho and the like, a Maisto looks out of character!

I am anxious to see how much my 2 1/18 Rolls Royce Phantoms are gonna appreciate because they are evidently under the wire with no manufacturer's trademark, that's what blew me away and no bar code on the box. I love them, the beluga is so shiny it looks like black chrome, I used Turtle Wax black polish, I polish it with an old tee shirt, like I do all of my private collection with. Some I am buying just for future sale. They are appreciating, like my Exoto Standox Laguna Seca Sky on the 934 RSR turbo at $599 on Exoto's website. I paid $178 for it back when it came out, I think 2002, the average price then was $225. And my UT collection... The Porsche models are worth a mint! They all are, and when they were being made they couldn't give them away! Why is it some things are posthumously rewarded....

I also like to "customize" cars too. I am currently working 2. Jada's 1966 Cadillac Coupe DeVille looked so pitiful that I am repainting it with chrome silver basecoat and the new anodized blue topcoat. I am going to use fabric for the interior because there is no detail, so this 1/18 monster is gonna be killer when I am finished. I can't decide if I want Dubs or wide classic whitewalls. The other winter project is the 1/18 Elvis Pressley 1955 Fleetwood Sixty Special in that awful pink. I have 3 others, so I thought I would experiment. I am going to prime it and use a classy Cadillac color like Academy grey, leave the white top, and everywhere on the interior that has that awful pink will be a stately grey. Both of these 1/18 Caddys are gonna be one's of a kind.

If you guys ever have any questions or are looking for a particular diecast model let me know. I am Sherlock Holmes when it comes to finding diecast car models, I get them from all over the world. I wish I could see all of my cars out at the same time, but that would be hard to do seeing as I own over 2,000 diecast cars! I stopped counting back in 2002 out of guilt so the number has gone well past that. They are taking over my 3 bedroom home! I like to give myself a high end diecast car every Christmas. I was the first to have the 1/18 diecast Maybach 57 here in the states. It cam from (hope I am spelling this right) Zweibruken Germany, it was a dealer's piece at the Paris Auto Show. It is dark midnight blue with medium blue side panels. Another year I bought two Kyosho 1/12 scale models, James Bond's Aston Martin Vanquish and the BMW Z8, they both are super nice. The Z8 has a real leather interior, an operating soft top, and a hardtop, with gadgets. The Aston Martin is awesome I polished the silver to a glass like shine. Let me end this I am talking you to death!

Merry Christmas!! (yes I was politically incorrect so sue me, and it is ok to call your CHRISTMAS TREE A CHRISTMAS TREE!!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts