DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I saw an article on a hobby magazine about making a speed sander like this, so it gave me an idea of making a buffer out of one. I have less than $10 invested and here is what I used.
-Battery powered toothbrush (Marked down to $3.99 at Targer from $6.99)
-Cotton sock cut up in small squares (free-as my son puts holes in his as fast as we buy them
-"hook" side of velcro (free as I had a piece).
-Maguires #26 Hi-tech Yellow wax (I already had some from my 1:1s)

Here is what I did. I had intended to use the "handle" of the one I personally use, but I saw this on sale. I don't know how I would had explained to the wife that I was using mine!
-I cut the bristles of the head and cut a piece of "velcro" (Hook side) and stuck it to the head. (see pic for the transformation)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Here is what it basically looks like. This is vs. 2.0 as I am using the store bought/Double-A powered one. I used a different colored velcro. See the cut pieces of cotton. I use one per car and just throw it away after I am done.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Here you can see the speed of it. I am doing an Ertl Torino that I bought used and needed some TLC.
Go slow and let the buffer/wax do the work and don't put too much pressure on it.

I do a car in less than a minute!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a "during" shot with the wax on.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a terrible time taking pics of black cars, so it is hard to see the difference.
So I did half of this Shelby I got cheap. It had been displayed and needed a lot of TLC.

You can get some great bargains on cars that have been displayed and this was one of them.

Can you tell which side is which? :giggle

Attachments

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Oh boy! Lari is going to wonder why the batteries on my toothbrush don't last as long as hers do. :giggle
GREAT idea Al, thanks for sharing!!!! :nicejob :10

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing, Al!!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That is a great idea Al! I think I would also be less likely to inadvertently snag a wiper blade this way. Thanks! :cheers

G

·
Al,

Simply awesome tutorial :nicejob

As I often polish my models, I can certainly use something like this.

·
Registered
2020 BMW M2 Competition
92 Posts
Hey acisne, what did you use to cut off the bristles from the toothbrush? I'm having a very difficult time, I tried scissors and the razor with minimal results.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used a new blade from a box cutter. Didn't have any problems with it.

G

·
hi guys you want to get rid of the batterys and put a plug pak on it , more power and it wont run down . i use an electric motor with a bit of lambs wool for the buff in other words a 1/18 scale buff and it does a realy good job but i do like this idea and will give it a shot.

cheers barry.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
:lol :lol :lol

That's just brilliant! Cool idea Al, thanks for sharing :cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I went to WM last night to find some license-plate bulbs and I saw these marked down in the automotive dept. They are made by Windex SonicScrubbers The three packages were something like $10 total. Took it home and before Mr. Miyagi could say "wax-on, wax-off" I had this dull Maisto Mach III shinning like a black pearl! I have a feeling I will be using this a lot!
The packages:

Wax on:

Wax off:

I can see myself in the paint!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.