DiecastXchange Forum banner

1/43 Can-Am

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Jersey_Devil 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm too young to have seen Can-Am, but love the cars, and enjoy seeing them run in historic events. Thought I'd dig out my 1/43 cars (they're all in storage bins, as I don't have enough room to display them). Sorry I didn't take them out for photos. Most haven't been out of the box.

GMP -- They did a series of T70's, and then the McLarens.
The complete list as far as I can determine:
12401 T70, 3 Penske cars
12402 T70, 3 Surtees cars
12403 T70 Dan Gurney #30
12404 T70 Jerry Grant
12405 T70 Dan Gurney #36
12421 M8A, Bruce McLaren
12422 M8A, Denny Hulme
12423 M8B high wing, Dan Gurney
12424 M8B high wing, Bruce
12425 M8B high wing, Denny
12426 M8B low wing, Motschenbacker
12427 M8D Denny not released
12428 M8D (maybe Dan?) not released
12429 M8D Motschenbacker*not released*
12430 M8B low wing, Koveleski/Jerobee

The two M8A's and one of the M8B's to show differences

M8Bs, wings are still in the as-shipped position

See less See more
#4 ·
Finally, on of my favorite pieces of racing art. Michael Turner's "Team Formation". The 1968 Can-Am race at Michigan was run "backwards" on the now-gone oval+roadcourse. Dan's car broke, so McLaren let him run a third M8B. They finished 1-2-3. The print is numbered and signed by Turner, and is also signed by Denis Hulme, Dan Gurney, Teddy Mayer, Tyler Alexander, Phil Kerr, and Gordon Coppock.

At one point, I had it displayed with the three 1/18 GMP cars. I'll see if I can find the picture.

#5 ·
Very nice collection. I have all of the books and most of the cars.I started with the GMP 1:18's and then switched to 1:43. I am old enough to have seen the Can Am in its glory days though I was just a boy. My favorite pro racing series ever.
Are you still adding to your collection?

Here are some of mine.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Toy

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Toy

Sleeve Font Rectangle Automotive tire Electric blue

#6 ·
Very nice collection. I have all of the books and most of the cars.I started with the GMP 1:18's and then switched to 1:43. I am old enough to have seen the Can Am in its glory days though I was just a boy. My favorite pro racing series ever.
Are you still adding to your collection?

No, I'm not adding to my collection anymore, unless someone comes out with a (ideally 1/18) Nissan GTP, then I'll be on it for sure. And I'm enjoying the DX community a lot. Is it silly that I get more excited about the amazing display cases than the actual models LOL ?

As I've gotten older (I'm in my early 60's), and helped/dealt with houses full of stuff belonging to relatives that have passed away (or moved into assisted living), I have become a lot more aware of how much stuff I have that nobody in the family knows anything about or places much value in. Instead of having my stuff go to the dump, or goodwill, I'd love to pass it along to people that can appreciate and enjoy it. And the bonus is, my family will not have to deal with my collectables. It will be an ongoing process, no big hurry (at least I hope not !!).

#7 ·
You have a really nice collection! I also love Can-am cars and the history, but also being too young to have seen it in its heyday. I have only one Can-Am racer, GMP Donohue's #16 Lola T-70 in 1/18, and while I'd like to add a few more the price per unit makes many prohibitive at this stage. The 1/43 scale sounds intriguing though and perhaps more affordable.

Great pic made all the more special by the autographs!

Thanks for sharing!

#9 ·
Thanks for sharing your collection - this is also my all-time favorite series. I have a pretty substantial Can-Am collection of mostly 1/18th diecast but some 1/43rd models as well. Feel free to visit my links below my signature (not up-to-date and not organized by any series, so beware!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.