DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a good question for the day.....why do 1:43 scale models lack popularity in the US?

Would it be due to the fact there are few good examples of US cars made in 1:43? Most of the 1:43 I see are only European or Japanese exotics?

If more companies made 1:43 scale US muscle cars and modern exotics, would you show more interest?

Personally, I do like the intricate detail of the 43rd scale, but I can rarely find really nice replicas of US models.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
290 Posts
To be honest? I think it is more of a size issue.

I know that for instance, in Japan, space is of the essence, and if you can show 4 1:43's in the footprint of 1 1:18, I think people would to that, especially if room is a little tight.

I mean if I had an apartment in Tokyo or a flat in London, unless I wanted my collection to CONSUME my space I would probably put them on a single shelf, at most a couple book shelves. With that said, would you rather have 10 cars to look at, or 40 cars existing in much the same space?

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I too think space is a big factor. But then what scale are Tamiya model kits typically? Don't those take up a fair bit of space to display? Usually model builders have a pretty big collection don't they?

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
History is the answer. !;43 is a classic scale, and has almost "always" been around in Europe (and therefor, East Asia). In the 80's, when 1:18 started to circulate in Europe, was also when it got easy to get stuff from Europe in the Americas. Since 1:18 was the hot item of the moment, companies in America started importing models in that scale. Of course this also happened with 1:43, but since 1:18 was the new game in town, that is the scale that everybody wanted. That's why 1:18 is way more popular in the Americas then 1:43.

Asia, being strongly influenced by Europe, always had 1:43, and maybe over ther the smaller size had something to do with, making it even more popular. And of course, having a lot of factories over there helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
In my opinion, the only benefit of having some 1:43 scale models over here in north america would be to have a larger collection of F1 cars or other race cars i.e. FIA GT, ALMS, LM 24hr, and such. Other than that I don't really see the point of it.

Anyway, yea it's not too popular around here. I haven't seen any 1:43 models at any of my local hobby shops. The only ones they have are slot car ones made by Carrera and Scalextric I think. Those are very impressive in details. Just love looking at the 550LM or 575 GTC or their 60s/70s Le Mans cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it just depends on what shops you go to. The ones I go to hardly have any 1/18 scale and it gives the impression that 1/18 scale isn't that popular. And the ones they do carry are bearly even noticed by collectors, even though they take up much more room on the shelf. My dealers think no one wants 1/18 scale and say they don't sell. So it seems to only be an impression. Almost all my friends are 1/43 scale collectors and only buy the occational 1/18 scale. Birds of a feather flocking together.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The three most important scales in Europe are 1:43, 1:87 & 1:76. All of these are derived from model railway scales, or more properly "guages".

1:43 is "O" guage, 1:87 "HO" or half O guage & 1:76 "OO" guage. The first two are popular in continental Europe & 1:76 is popular in the UK.

Scale model cars were originally produced as accessories for railway layouts & consequently were scaled to suit. Think Frank Hornby, as in Hornby Train Sets - Dinky Toys were part of the same group.

When model cars were later produced as toys in their own right, naturally, the same scales continued, although as toys, there was some variations. For example, Dinky's small cars were more like 1:40 & larger American cars 1:48.

There were a large amount of manufactures in Europe who made toy cars in 1:43 or thereabouts, Dinky, Corgi & Spot On (which were all 1:42) in the UK, Tekno in Denmark, CIJ, Norev etc in France, Marklin, Schuco in Germany and many others. Herpa, Wiking, Norev and others continue to make models in 1:87. As for 1:76, this is still the most prominent scale for model buses made for the UK market, by the likes of EFE & Corgi.

Historically, the popularity of 1:43 for model cars, has got nothing to do with the lack of space in European or Japanese houses. Although, I will accept, that a 1:18 toy train set would have been a little OTT.

As for why and how model railway manufactures chose these particular scales is beyond me as they are a wierd combination of Imperial & Metric. 1:43 is a representation of 7mm : 12 inches.

jinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For me it is not the space. But most of the racingcar wich i want to have are made in 1:43 so that make me choose for that. I love 1:18 but there arent maked a lot actual racing cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Greetings, FISH88.
to DX. :cheers

I agree with Luc and The Stig. For the Asia market, it's a combination of influences and space.

Personally, I prefer the larger 1/18s over 1/43s. 1/18 generally possesses better details and feels more satisfying. Although small, 1/43's advantage is variety, especially for motorsports collectors.

Pick your poison. Either scale will empty your wallet rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I don't know anything about the popularity of 1/43 elsewhere, but I got into 1/18 because, as a kid, I was an avid builder/detailer/customizer of plastic model cars. Here in the U.S., nearly all plastic models then (and still are) 1/25 with opening hoods and engines. In fact, my most common mods were making opening doors and detailing the engines.

Many years later when I started looking at diecasts, I wanted something that was at least as detailed as what I made as a kid. Therefore, I went to 1/18 because they already had opening doors and usually a trunk as well. :nicejob

Unfortunatelly, that trend may be reversing! :pullhair

·
Registered
285 Posts
smaller scales of models are popular for budge collectors in malaysia because bigger scales are quite expensive.
an average 1/43 cost RM 10 to RM 20 if you know where to get it while the cheapest 1/18 i saw was maisto that was RM 69.90
an average 1/24 maisto cost RM 39.90 in malaysia.
and an average salary of a malaysian is RM 2000.
that's the reason.
do your mathes guy, the exchange rate. USD 1.00 equal to RM 3.76

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 26486
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I collect AMC related cars, and it seems that the 1:43 European manufacturers covered them while everyone else passed them by. I have a couple of Auto-Pilen (of Spain) 1970 AMC Javelins, with opening hood,doors and trunk, albeit the detail inside those openings isn't very accurate, and I could do without the tennis rackets on the rear package shelf! :confused I also have an Intracars (Spain again?) 68 AMX with opening doors. I'd like to get SMTs(UK?) 1970 Javelin in both stock and T/A versions, detail looks impresive, so is price. I think Boss Models also has a highly detailed Javelin in 1:43 Diecast.
Racing Champions made a 1:24 68 AMX diecast, but they mistakenly called it an AMX Javelin, the Javelin was a different car than the 2 seat AMX. In 71 the AMX was discountinued, and the name was used as an option package, the Javelin AMX. they also make this mistake in 1:64 (as well as the doors being too long!?)and painted bumpers were only on certain 69 models.
Anyway, I think it is just a a matter of availibility for scale choice.

AMC Uber Alles!
Robert

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
What company's models sell for that little money? :feedback From the Minichamps, iXO, Minichamps, Onyx models, they all sell for much more than that on eBay.

The RM 69.90 for an average Maisto 1/18 is a pretty fair price. Around Toronto where I live, the cheapest I can find them (before adding in 15% taxes) is in the range of RM 94.

Is the salary you mentioned what someone would earn per month or per year?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you guys think there is a market in the US if someone offered 1:43 replicas of classic muscle car models in the US like the Buick Grand Sport GNX, 70 Superbird, 69 Boss 429 Mustang etc?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.